WI: Hawaii is united under a native kingdom in the 17th century?

Would it be able to survive European contact as an independent kingdom, or at least have a mostly native population and a surviving monarchy like Tonga does?

I doubt that. Most problems were caused by European diseases and foreign animal and plant species. Altough earlier Hawaiaan monarchy might be bit stronger. But even then it is bit difficult to survive altough not impossible.

Wasn't the reason for the fall of the Hawaian monarchy American fruit companies? I don't see what a hundred year head start does about that, and you can have plenty of PoDs that preserve the Hawaian monarchy way later.

Wasn't the reason for the fall of the Hawaian monarchy American fruit companies? I don't see what a hundred year head start does about that, and you can have plenty of PoDs that preserve the Hawaian monarchy way later.

Seems like having a much higher native population would be the way to go, so that Hawaii ends up as a banana republic rather than a foreign territory.

Seems like having a much higher native population would be the way to go, so that Hawaii ends up as a banana republic rather than a foreign territory.
I don't see why that would be so, considering the monarchy was toppled by a coup d'etat. Hawaiians still made up a plurality of the population at the time, with Chinese taking second place. So it's not really the fault of demographics that it fell apart, but the outsized influence of Americans in the government.