WI English still had two words for "you"?

A soc.history.what-if post of mine from almost two decades (!) ago:

"Most European languages distinguish between an impersonal form of 'you' (*Sie* in German, *vous* in French) and a more personal form (*Du* in German, *tu* in French). Subordinates address superiors in the impersonal form, superiors address subordinates in the familiar form (which is also used for children). This apparently has survived all sorts of 'democratic' revolutions; Seymour Martin Lipset (in _The First New Nation_, Anchor Books edition, p. 368) quotes an article on Soviet literature as noting that 'in Soviet fiction...the manager, in addressing subordinates, uses the time-consecrated feudal *ty* (thou), while the subordinates use the respectful *vy* (you).'

"Something like this also used to be the case in English: 'you' was primarily the plural word, but was also used in the singular as a mark of respect (normally the singular word was 'thou.') Eventually this courtesy was extended to everyone, even children. But suppose for some reason, it hadn't been. What if English still had two words for 'you'?

"It is often said--or at least used to be said--that class lines are less stratified in the U.S. than in Britain or even Canada. (Think of the stereotypical Brooklyn cab driver addressing his well-to-do passenger as 'mac' or 'buddy.') Would British employers continue to 'thou' their employees, while American workers wouldn't stand for it? No doubt in the American South, just as whites addressed blacks by their first names, whereas blacks had to address a white man as 'Mister', the familiar form would be used by whites in addressing blacks, and a demand for the abolition of it (except in addressing children) would be one of the demands of the civil rights movement.

"Of course the Quakers always thought it was wrong to address one person by the 'flattering' 'you', so they stuck with 'thou.'"
https://groups.google.com/…/soc.hi…/c0RfPIMt-u8/ylkcXZFxb-QJ

What made me remember that post was a recent reading of the late Hilary Putnam's *Jewish Philosophy as a Guide to Life* where he points out that the archaic character of "thou" in English does have consequences when we read works that have been translated from other languages. Specifically, of the Martin Buber work usually translated as *I and Thou* Putnam writes: "Walter Kaufman rightly pointed out that the German *'Du'* in the title *Ich und Du* is simply the pronoun one uses in talking to friends and family, and that translating it by the now archaic 'thou' already falsifies Buber's thought by making it somehow fake-solemn (although he kept the 'Thou' in the title of his translation, doubtless because the work was so well known by that title, while eliminating all the *thous* from the body of the work). Indeed, the use of *thou* has pretty much disappeared in recent translations of the Bible, for the same reason. (When the traditional Jew addresses God as *atah,* 'you,' and we translate this as 'thou,' we lose sight of the fact that we are supposed to address God just as we address a friend or a parent or a child, and not to use a special form of address reserved only for God.) Kaufman's decision to translate *Du* as 'you' in the body of the text already removes the first stumbling block in the path of the reader of Buber's book." https://books.google.com/books?id=WJVpaiGvoCQC&pg=PA61

I would argue that English has no 'respectful' you is that it doesn't have a plural you either. The French 'vous' is also used for second person plural, as was the German 'Sie' before it got replaced with the more coloquial 'ihr'.

English still had the Pluralis Majestatis where a king or queen speaks of him/herself in first person plural. ("We, the Queen, are not amused.") However a person addressing him/her would still use You as the second person plural is identical with the second person singular. So I would argue that English still addresses a person of respect with the plural you, just that you can't hear the difference.

But if one cannot hear the difference, can it be said to exist?

Southerners in the USA have reinvented plural second person, demonstrating the transformation of "you" to singular, by the phrase "you all." I spent most of my childhood in the South but Southernisms always struck me as peculiar; I identify as a Yankee. (in the sense of not-Southern). But I find myself using you all and even y'all pretty easily and naturally, because it seems to me we need the plural form, and even non-Southern Americans will recognize the meaning of the Southern construction though it may seem odd to them. I gather northeastern urban dialect has a plural second person, "youse," but I don't recall ever hearing it used in my life, only reading it, and so it doesn't seem as real to me. "Y'all" on the other hand is very strongly associated with a particular region, but quite organic and natural in that region, in my subjective perception.

I should add that I've never noticed any sign of the newly evolved plural second persons in colloquial US English evolving a respectful/familiar distinction; that is completely missing from modern American English. Rather, the fact that "thou" has become quite archaic means that as the OP notes, its use signals formality in itself, thus King James Bible language does tend to distance God, rather than signal loving familiarity.

Where I live, any "you plural" is fair game. I hear "you guys", "you all", "y'all" (a bit less common), "all of you", or simply "you" all the time.

If the pronoun "thou" survives, I could see it being pronounced differently--without the dental fricative--as the pronoun became used less frequently over time due in part to its pronunciation, IIRC.

I gather northeastern urban [USA] dialect has a plural second person, "youse," but I don't recall ever hearing it used in my life, only reading it, and so it doesn't seem as real to me.

Yous is a common form of plural 'you' in a lot of UK dialects, particularly in the north of the UK, e.g. "are yous going tonight?" = "are [all of] you going tonight?"
(though that question would more likely be something like, "yous gaan the nicht?" :rolleyes: )

Edit: 'tha' and 'thee' still occur for 'you singular' in some dialects too.

Last edited:
There's a rough differentiation between the second person singular and plural in the Rust Belt also, but it's only common in lower socioeconomic strata: namely, the you / youse usage (as in "yo, youse guys from South Philly...")

fi11222

Banned
What do you think of the following theory:

James II crushes the glorious revolution and manages to re-establish Catholicism in 17th century England. As a result, a Versailles-like courtly culture develops in England in the same way as in France.

Eventually, the English language retains "thou" and "you" in the same fashion as French retained "tu" and "vous".

What do you think of the following theory:

James II crushes the glorious revolution and manages to re-establish Catholicism in 17th century England. As a result, a Versailles-like courtly culture develops in England in the same way as in France.

Eventually, the English language retains "thou" and "you" in the same fashion as French retained "tu" and "vous".

But wouldn't a Versailles-style culture favor the formal over the informal? English has retained the formal second-person pronoun (you); it's the informal one (tu) that's disappeared.

all anglo speakers should just learn Dutch :p
Dat kan wel, maar ik weet niet of de meeste Britten/Amerikanen klaar zijn voor 3 woorden (u, je, jullie). :D

In English:
That's possible, but I don't know if most Brits/Americans are ready for 3 words (you formal, you familiar, you plural).

Dat kan wel, maar ik weet niet of de meeste Britten/Amerikanen klaar zijn voor 3 woorden (u, je, jullie). :D

In English:
That's possible, but I don't know if most Brits/Americans are ready for 3 words (you formal, you familiar, you plural).
I don't know what y'all are talking about. ;)

Where I live, any "you plural" is fair game. I hear "you guys", "you all", "y'all" (a bit less common), "all of you", or simply "you" all the time.

If the pronoun "thou" survives, I could see it being pronounced differently--without the dental fricative--as the pronoun became used less frequently over time due in part to its pronunciation, IIRC.

Seconded, as this is probably the prime reason (there are others) "thou" dissepeared in the first place. If for some reason it survived (not very plausible without context, but hey), then English pronouns would probably look like (I'll do it phonetically as whatever the pod probably drastically changes spelling anyway):

1st: Nom: Ai (possibly Aic), Acc: Mi, Gen: Mai
2nd: Nom: Dau, Acc: Di, Gen: Dai ("d" is the most likely for it to end up as, like it did otl in dutch and german, but I suppose "t" could work as well)
3rd: Nom: Hi/Shi/It, Acc: Him/Her/It, Gen:His/Her(s?)/Its
1st P: Nom: Wi, Acc: As (like uh-s), Gen: Ar
2nd P: Nom: Ye/Ya (like Ya'idiot), Acc: Yu, Gen:Yer
3rd P: Nom: ðei, Acc: ðem, Gen: ðer (ð is the "th" sound in "that")

Like I said, probably not very plausible at all, but it's just my prediction. If anyone has a better idea how this would work out, then feel free to make a better chart:).

Well, growing up in Providence, Rhode Island we used "youse" all the time and I've heard it throughout southern New England. Personally I've been "You All" and "Y'all" ever since I took French and Latin in high school and found they were grammatically correct.

When was the first known instance of 'you'? Could it have arisen simply as a mispronunciation of a thorn?