WI: Casimir IV Jagiellon marries Sophia of Pomerania?

for an imperial election? Sure. For a Hungarian election, see @Zygmunt Stary 's point about the limited revenues.

Also, Hungary elected dynasties, not individuals (like in Poland/Bohemia). So there'd be no reason that Wlad III couldn't get them to accept his brother as king of Hungary. Especially if he goes the Vlad Bene route and grants his brother land inside the kingdom (like Vlad Bene did with Glogow in Bohemia for Sigismund) although I'm not sure what would make him decide this.

@Fehérvári @Tibi088 @Monter can correct me.
I don't think electors of HRE would elect Corvinus ever also longer lived Sigismund of Luxembourg would try to stop Jagiellons from claiming his throne.

Matthias was not a German, nor member of German dynasty (or any dynasty at all). Electors could accept bribes (like they accepted bribes from François in 1519) , but would never elect him.

Matthias was not a German, nor member of German dynasty (or any dynasty at all). Electors could accept bribes (like they accepted bribes from François in 1519) , but would never elect him.
So is it possible for Fritz to bribe his way into becoming King of Hungary? Or would it be ASB?

Technically the clause in the bribery agreement was that the elector of Brandenburg (who voted last) would vote as his brother (the archbishop of Mainz, who voted first) voted. So François shouldve spent more money trying to buy Albrecht of Mainz if he wanted to be elected

Technically the clause in the bribery agreement was that the elector of Brandenburg (who voted last) would vote as his brother (the archbishop of Mainz, who voted first) voted. So François shouldve spent more money trying to buy Albrecht of Mainz if he wanted to be elected
Didn't Henry VIII also try to run for Emperor?

But yeah, is it possible to have Fritz do some bribery to get the Hungarians to vote for him after Siggy dies?

for an imperial election? Sure. For a Hungarian election, see @Zygmunt Stary 's point about the limited revenues.

Also, Hungary elected dynasties, not individuals (like in Poland/Bohemia). So there'd be no reason that Wlad III couldn't get them to accept his brother as king of Hungary. Especially if he goes the Vlad Bene route and grants his brother land inside the kingdom (like Vlad Bene did with Glogow in Bohemia for Sigismund) although I'm not sure what would make him decide this.

@Fehérvári @Tibi088 @Monter can correct me.
On hungarian sucession law: more or less. Hungary elected an individual, and than after him as long as he had male descendants the throne had to go to one of them (not necesserily primogeniture in theory but in practice at this point it was). But other members of the dynasty - brothers, cousin etc and their descendants of the originally elected king had (in theory) no right to the throne.

Last edited:
On hungarian sucession law: more or less. Hungary elected an individual, and than after him as long as he had male descendants the throne had to go to one of them (not necesserily primogeniture in theory but in practice at this point it was). But other memers of the dynasty - brothers, cousin etc and their descendants of the originally elected king had (in theory) no rightto the throne.
So Fritz has a chance to be elected in, say, 1459 (that's when Max is born)?

So neither love match or terrible?
Casimir initially was repulsed by Elizabeth when she saw her (she was deformed due to extreme scoliosis) and for a while regretted that he hasn't married beautiful Sophia of Pomerania, but over time they became well matched couple. Casimir always travelled with her by his side across his vast realm.

Casimir initially was repulsed by Elizabeth when she saw her (she was deformed due to extreme scoliosis)
Elisabeth supposedly suffered from Pott's disease as a girl.
and for a while regretted that he hasn't married beautiful Sophia of Pomerania, but over time they became well matched couple. Casimir always travelled with her by his side across his vast realm.
So I suspect we'll see a "cordial" relationship between Casimir and his wife?

Family Tree - Polish Jagiellons
Kazimierz IV of Poland (b. 1427) m. 1454 Sophia of Pomerania (b. 1434) with issue:
  1. Wladyslaw (b. 1455)
  2. Jadwiga (b. 1457) m. 1476 Andrzej of Bohemia (b. 1459) [1]
  3. Kazimierz (b. 1458)
  4. Jan (b. 1459)
  5. Sophia (b. 1460)
  6. Anna (b. 1462)
  7. Hynek (b. 1464)
[1] Son of Casimir's brother Marek Jagiellon (b. 1434), who is elected King of Bohemia in opposition to George of Podiebrady, though he does marry George's daughter Katharina/Kunigunde (who is older here). Let me know if this is ASB or not

Last edited: