WI: Carlos I of Portugal dies in 1904?

Can you give me some examples of that?
A jurist or constitutionalist might give more detailed examples (I'm not trained in Law), but in the Additional Act ( 1.º ) of July 5 of 1852 (to the Constitution of 1826)
The Parliament gets the ability to approve or block any treaties with foreign powers (Point 8), when before it was the king's right.

This academic article also makes an interesting reading:
http://atlas.fcsh.unl.pt/docs/Paulo...Adicionais_a_Carta_Constitucional_de_1826.pdf

abc123

Banned
A jurist or constitutionalist might give more detailed examples (I'm not trained in Law), but in the Additional Act ( 1.º ) of July 5 of 1852 (to the Constitution of 1826)
The Parliament gets the ability to approve or block any treaties with foreign powers (Point 8), when before it was the king's right.

This academic article also makes an interesting reading:
http://atlas.fcsh.unl.pt/docs/Paulo...Adicionais_a_Carta_Constitucional_de_1826.pdf

I'm just reading that links.

One question: British Ultimatum of 1890. Why it had such great impact on Portugal? After all, Portugal was small country and any Portuguese Government had to accept it...

Also, why was that area ( future Rhodesia ) so important for Portugal? Had they not enough colonies allready?

One question: British Ultimatum of 1890. Why it had such great impact on Portugal? After all, Portugal was small country and any Portuguese Government had to accept it...
It was both vexing (it was our ally that was raising its hand on us, after all) and humiliating (no-one likes to the pushed around). No matter how pragmatic any government would have been, they'd always have to face the wrath of the 19th century romantic nationalism.

Also, why was that area ( future Rhodesia ) so important for Portugal? Had they not enough colonies allready?

Uniting the Western and Eastern shores would create a consolidated greater colony that would eventually be managed as a whole, an appropriate closure for an expansion process that Portugal started in that region 400 years prior. It was ultimately a self-esteem project, a late replacement of Brazil.

I'm just reading that links.

It was both vexing (it was our ally that was raising its hand on us, after all) and humiliating (no-one likes to the pushed around). No matter how pragmatic any government would have been, they'd always have to face the wrath of the 19th century romantic nationalism.

Uniting the Western and Eastern shores would create a consolidated greater colony that would eventually be managed as a whole, an appropriate closure for an expansion process that Portugal started in that region 400 years prior. It was ultimately a self-esteem project, a late replacement of Brazil.
What Miguel said.