WI Apocalypse Now directed by George Lucas

In retrospect, I think the George Lucas-directed Apocalypse Now I wrote into AAROTB was unrealistic. I didn't quite realise just how much the OTL movie was Coppola's baby.

I had noticed that. Any thoughts on how Lucas' version would be different? I recall he was planning on doing a cinema-verite style shoot, and I imagine he'd be more likely to fill in things like helicopters with practical effects or stock footage than actually trying to get his hands on them.

Me'sa seeings of vietcongs

Ok guys, please don't let this... thing wreck the thread.

I had noticed that. Any thoughts on how Lucas' version would be different? I recall he was planning on doing a cinema-verite style shoot, and I imagine he'd be more likely to fill in things like helicopters with practical effects or stock footage than actually trying to get his hands on them.

Ok guys, please don't let this... thing wreck the thread.

honestly I don't think lucas was up to the task of such a serious movie ... it would loose much of its subtle message and meaning..

the things that make the movie so real are the non use of stock effects.. plus I doubt lucas could get the actors to really take it seriously .. yes he made American graffiti.. but that is not on the level of the callibar of movie as apocalypse now which is deep and has so manyh different messages and levels in it that I just don't see it working ... and would be a forgotten movie.. it would be much more action oriented and maybe 2 levels deep.. with a focus on capture but with out the deep message involved

also the musical score was ultra effective and had that true Vietnam feel.. I don't know if lucas would have gone that route.. he might have.. but as much as I respect lucas for his ideas. I just don't think something like this is his forte

marathag

Banned
As long as he's married to Marcia, there's a good chance it would be very good.

After she was gone, no one could tell George 'no, that's a terrible way to do this'

Here's another thought -- if Lucas demonstrates his ability to work effectively with practical effects in two films by then, could he get picked to direct Jaws?

Here's another thought -- if Lucas demonstrates his ability to work effectively with practical effects in two films by then, could he get picked to direct Jaws?

I think he could do jaws.. but that is 1975 .. pre star wars 1977.. apocalypse now 1979.. .. that would be an impressive work load ... my only complaint about George is his script writing.. great visuals.. bad dialog.. if he could hire out the dialog writing i think it could work... his best remembered works were basically directed by others or had the initial treatments reworked..

So Indy - Spielberg, empire - Kasden... Im not knocking the guy he had plenty of vision and grand ideas...

Last edited:
The horror, the horror:eek:

Colonel Kurtz, you have gone to the dark side.
But captain Willard, I am your father.

marathag

Banned
his best remembered works were basically directed by others or had the initial treatments reworked..

Mostly by the ex-Wife. She was an editor on _Taxi Driver_, _Jaws_, and _American Graffiti_ and was she who got the Best Editing Oscar for _Star Wars_

She reworked his dialog in his films.

Without her, you get the Prequels if Lucas is left alone writing

OK, this is an alternate filmography for George Lucas that's in my mind now:
  • THX-1138 (1971)
  • Apocalypse Now (1973)
  • Jaws (1975)
  • Star Wars (1977) (uses more of first draft ideas)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1979) (more based on original Indiana Smith idea)

How plausible does this list strike you? I'm also wondering about how this would affect Lucas' development as a director.

As long as he's married to Marcia, there's a good chance it would be very good.

After she was gone, no one could tell George 'no, that's a terrible way to do this'

That's another important thing to keep in mind -- how does George's partnership with Marcia do TTL? Does the marriage still collapse and if so, does he fall into the same kind of creative pit of OTL?