WI: A more proactive Japan

Even up to the late 1800's, the Chinese government was unable to control the Taiwanese aborigines. Seriously, Japan won't be able to control Taiwan until the 1800's.

Which is why you'd end up with a somewhat marginal society clustered around centers of Japanese control until the Japanese government could bring the Taiwanese Aboriginals to submission at a later date. No, life wouldn't be pleasant for the majority of Japanese in TTL Taiwan, since most would be living in constant fear of Aboriginal raids, but the island would be important since it's again, right on the doorstep with China. I'm not saying that Taiwan becomes part of the Home Islands of Japan or anything (Sakhalin probably would in this scenario, though), I'm just saying that Japan here would be able to put up a serious fight for the island against both China AND Aboriginal peoples. The Taiwanese Aborigines are definitely a severe issue for Japanese colonisation and they could and probably would play off various powers (Japan, China, possibly European powers) against each other as the situation at the moment called for.

Which is why you'd end up with a somewhat marginal society clustered around centers of Japanese control until the Japanese government could bring the Taiwanese Aboriginals to submission at a later date. No, life wouldn't be pleasant for the majority of Japanese in TTL Taiwan, since most would be living in constant fear of Aboriginal raids, but the island would be important since it's again, right on the doorstep with China. I'm not saying that Taiwan becomes part of the Home Islands of Japan or anything (Sakhalin probably would in this scenario, though), I'm just saying that Japan here would be able to put up a serious fight for the island against both China AND Aboriginal peoples. The Taiwanese Aborigines are definitely a severe issue for Japanese colonisation and they could and probably would play off various powers (Japan, China, possibly European powers) against each other as the situation at the moment called for.

What's Japan's motive in doing this, again? China's already staked Taiwan to be 'their claim'.

What's Japan's motive in doing this, again? China's already staked Taiwan to be 'their claim'.

Honestly, I don't know. But I know in real life Japan planned expeditions against Taiwan as early as the 16th/early 17th century or so. So clearly there has always been an interest in Taiwan amongst Japanese leadership. In this scenario, Japan would definitely actually try to attack Taiwan, and I'm just speculating how they could establish a lasting presence there. Taiwan is a strategic base to operate against China, who no doubt would be the main rival of Japan.

I suspect Chinese claims on the region would not be taken seriously until China actually set about enforcing them, either through military victories over the Japanese or settling the islands with loyal Chinese themselves. A combination of both would be preferable.

Honestly, I don't know. But I know in real life Japan planned expeditions against Taiwan as early as the 16th/early 17th century or so. So clearly there has always been an interest in Taiwan amongst Japanese leadership. In this scenario, Japan would definitely actually try to attack Taiwan, and I'm just speculating how they could establish a lasting presence there. Taiwan is a strategic base to operate against China, who no doubt would be the main rival of Japan.

I suspect Chinese claims on the region would not be taken seriously until China actually set about enforcing them, either through military victories over the Japanese or settling the islands with loyal Chinese themselves. A combination of both would be preferable.

They're satisfied with not holding it, but they're not satisfied with others holding it. Fort Zeelandia

trurle

Banned
Not really. The junks of large size were seaworthy enough, but had the difficulty moving at low and variable winds. Therefore, crossing the Pacific close to equator (where low-wind belts exist) will be a challenge. Even with water tanker ships (actually building them is the indication of the problems of low speed of large junks). North route (going to America with North Pacific Drift and returning to Asia with Aleutian Current) was technically possible though.

If you want a Japanese colonization of North America, the most convenient route is through the northeast. I'm not exactly sure if the Japanese would be that curious enough to sail there.

What are the chance of meeting the Polynesians, though? It won't be that unlikely that some Japanese traders ITTL will stray away and found themselves in a wholly different place. ;)

Anymore opinions?

Well like if what Captain orange said it would be interesting to see lost Japanese Sailors end up in Siberia along the Kamchatka Peninsula and trade furs there perhaps exploiting Iron as Iron was rare and of poor quality in Japan, thats the reason their armor and weapons use as little of it as possible and maybe have a defeated warlord start his own state there because other than Siberians who would Challenge them?

Albeit it took 500 years for them to take even the slightest interest in Hokkaido ( Northernmost main Island of japan) And Perhaps a Warlord could go there and start up some colonizing along the Siberian coast and learn to Trade with Canadians?

[edit] Now that I think about it that would make an interesting TL, but I have two TL's to work on so maybe later but other people are able to work on the Idea, maybe I'll get people I know to make one.

Last edited: