Who do you think would have married Henry VIII if Arthur had lived?

Marguerite was floated after Arthur's death, IIRC. Would her mother be interested in the marriage if Henry was only duke of York?
I think it was the case that a letter suggesting her as a bride arrived in England in 1502/3 but was written prior to Arthur’s death, though that’s just what I’ve heard. If it is the case that Marguerite was offered only when Henry became Prince of Wales, a proposed match between the two could still happen. A Duke of York is still a great match for a Princess of Blood, especially if Louis XII supports it.

She was floated around as an option WHILE he was Duke of York. Until her brother becomes king - if he even does, with a POD in 1502 - she is not good enough for a future king.
I wouldn’t say she’s not good enough for a future King. She is a Princess of Blood, has relations in Savoy and is sister to the heir presumptive of France.

I wouldn’t say she’s not good enough for a future King. She is a Princess of Blood, has relations in Savoy and is sister to the heir presumptive of France.
With a POD in 1502...I mean, that's thirteen years of butterflies. Would she even be the sister to the heir? Anne of Brittany is young enough to pop out a living son still

With a POD in 1502...I mean, that's thirteen years of butterflies. Would she even be the sister to the heir? Anne of Brittany is young enough to pop out a living son still
It depends, but considering the proposal will arrive in around 1502, Louis should still be without an heir, meaning negotiations can advance. Plus, even without Francis being the heir presumptive, Marguerite is a good match.

I don't know what actual advantage it offers England to tie the Duke of York to a woman who might or might not be the sister of the French King one day unless Louis offers an enormous financial settlement or you get a change in English foreign policy. You've a gap of seven years between the offer and her otl marriage to Alencon and a gap in the Italian Wars up to the formation of the league of cambrai - so it's possible though Henry VII's policy largely leaned towards the Spanish alliance. Ferdinand won't be happy at any French match so might come up with his own counter offer. If the groom remains single to 1509 and Arthur becomes King with a Spanish wife forget it.

Marguerite of Angouleme or either of the de la Tour d'Auvergne girls would work. Domestically, I think Elizabeth Stafford is suitable. Elizabeth Grey, Viscountess Lisle is quite a bit younger than Henry (so more likely for a second son of Arthur than his uncle) but not prohibitively so, especially considering that she is an heiress and Henry is a second son so he can afford to wait to sire heirs of his own.

I don't know what actual advantage it offers England to tie the Duke of York to a woman who might or might not be the sister of the French King one day unless Louis offers an enormous financial settlement or you get a change in English foreign policy. You've a gap of seven years between the offer and her otl marriage to Alencon and a gap in the Italian Wars up to the formation of the league of cambrai - so it's possible though Henry VII's policy largely leaned towards the Spanish alliance. Ferdinand won't be happy at any French match so might come up with his own counter offer. If the groom remains single to 1509 and Arthur becomes King with a Spanish wife forget it.
My impression is that Henry VII was trying to play both sides of the aisle, as it were, and the French did offer Marguerite as a bride for Henry IOTL. Louis XII was not particularly picky about using minor princesses to build alliances.

yeah, personally I don't see Henry letting his spare go without heirs of his own. he may be a second son, but Henry fought hard for this throne, and I see him being willing to do anything he can to keep a hold of it. Arthur may live to have sons of his own in this TL, but I can't imagine a legitimate second son going to the church. like I said, I can see the marriage waiting a few years, but not never happening at all. with COA being so religious, I can see her wanting one of her children to be a part of the church, but even then, probably only with a third son or even farther down the line. plus, even with (prince) Henry's marriage value diminished as only a second son, he's still not a bad catch at all; after all, at this point, he's not even of age, so he's still charming and handsome and all that, with all the promise to mature into a good duke.

My impression is that Henry VII was trying to play both sides of the aisle, as it were, and the French did offer Marguerite as a bride for Henry IOTL. Louis XII was not particularly picky about using minor princesses to build alliances.
Oh I agree I just don't see much advantage on the English side - perhaps a betrothal that never gets to the altar - once Arthur is King of course the issues become their relationship as brothers (given they were not raised together that could go either way), Arthur's relationship with Catherine (and his father in law) and of course if Arthur and Catherine have a full nursery or an empty one.

My impression is that Henry VII was trying to play both sides of the aisle
Very much so. Henry VII was probably the first English king to recognize that a large cash fortune was more advantageous than landed interests. Staying out of war was key to building his enormous treasury and predisposed him toward a Habsburg marriage for its great dowry. I think at the end of the day young Henry's bride is whoever has the most gold to give.