Whitehaven Burning

So, during the American Revolution, John Paul Jones made it to Whitehaven, and hoped to burn over two hundred British ships, and then torch the crap out of the town, just to piss His Majesty off. He ran out of oil and flammables and so his men went to a pub in order to get some more. Temptation had its way with them, and they ended up getting tanked instead. Simultaneously, one of the crew turned traitor and ran through the town screaming that the Americans were there.

Well, what if A) his marines didn't stop to get their drink on, B) he brought more oil and so the pub could be avoided, or C) there was no Paul Revere-ing to alert the town? How does this effect the war? I know JPJ was all about getting a combined American-French-Spanish fleet to invade England (which I'd bet is more towards ASB, even if it is goddam epic).

Whoops, never mind, some just asked this question =P

Last edited:
Pasha

When on the brighter side you might see a successful ending to the revolution. Having seen how extreme at least some of the rebels are many people would be shocked and a lot of the sympathy that some felt for the rebels would be disapated. As such Britain would put more effort into crushing them. Also the atrocity would probably horrify both the other European nations - hence less support for the rebels - and similiarly in the colonies itself as the behaviour is likely to make many waviers come down against such excesses.

On the down side it might mean the rebellion is a lot bloodier. As such instead of viewing the rebels as renegade Britons to whom the law applies their viewed as brutal savages. In such at least some British/loyalist forces reply in kind and whoever wins a lot of the colonies suffer very badly.

Steve

So, during the American Revolution, John Paul Jones made it to Whitehaven, and hoped to burn over two hundred British ships, and then torch the crap out of the town, just to piss His Majesty off. He ran out of oil and flammables and so his men went to a pub in order to get some more. Temptation had its way with them, and they ended up getting tanked instead. Simultaneously, one of the crew turned traitor and ran through the town screaming that the Americans were there.

Well, what if A) his marines didn't stop to get their drink on, B) he brought more oil and so the pub could be avoided, or C) there was no Paul Revere-ing to alert the town? How does this effect the war? I know JPJ was all about getting a combined American-French-Spanish fleet to invade England (which I'd bet is more towards ASB, even if it is goddam epic).

Whoops, never mind, some just asked this question =P