Which Campaign of the American Civil War Could Most Easily Have Been a CS Victory?

Which Campaigns of the American Civil War Could Most Easily Have Been CS Victories?

• Forts Henry and Donelson Campaign

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Shiloh Campaign

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Maryland Campaign

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Kentucky Campaign

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Stones River/Murfreesboro Campaign

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Gettysburg Campaign

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Vicksburg Campaign

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Chickamauga-Chattanooga Campaign

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Overland Campaign

• Atlanta Campaign

• Petersburg Campaign

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Franklin-Nashville Campaign

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If Lee had won at Gettysburg what could he do? Washington as I understand it would be out of the question, because by that point it was to heavily defended. Not to mention any win, would cause casualties to the Army of Northern Virginia, while the troops in Washington although garrison troops were fresh.

Either beat a retreat or being Lee decide aggression is needed and push forwards to complete the destruction of the Army of Potomac only to instead destroy the AoNV against Pipe Creek.

Saphroneth

Banned
I read a TL where Lee crafts the 191 order as a ruse to goad McClellan into a position in Western Maryland to throw himself at a fortified Lee.

Made good reading.

My understanding of McClellan is that he was too much the manouevrist to actually try that - and, of course, OTL he was too conservative of the lives of his soldiers. I think it comes of having seen the Crimean War and as such having seen what happens when entrenched positions are attacked.