When You Wish Upon A Star

Hallelujah! It's back!

Since my own area of focus is sociology I have a few observations to make on TTL:

1) The ethnic makeup of TTL's USA is obviously going to be very different - aside from the black diaspora, I don't see this USA passing the Hart-Cellar act in 1965 that reformed the immigration system and allowed immigration from places other than Europe. Presumably this reform will happen when the left takes over in the 80s (or was it the 70s? It's been a while since I read the old tl.) Fewer Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, Latinos...

2) With the 'family values' focus of the Disney government and the ongoing war in Cuba (returning veterans like to have lots of sex), the Baby Boom may continue longer TTL.

3) The South is obviously going to be a very ugly place for a long time.... hence, the growth of the Sun Belt (which started in the 60s) is going to be concentrated in the Southwest, at least at first. This will greatly impact future presidential elections, since AZ, NM, CA, NV will all gain EVs quicker than OTL (and some people who migrated OTL may stay in the North). TTL, the decrepit hordes of the chilly Northeast may be retiring to Taos or Phoenix instead of Tampa or Miami... this will make things especially interesting when immigration picks up again, since I don't think old people and Latino immigrants are going to mix very well.

Last edited:
Enjoying this greatly

Enjoying this greatly. Two questions: what is Pauli Murray up to in this timeline? And how do I subscribe?

I'm very interested to see how the British Invasion will proceed in this timeline. I believe the arrival of the Beatles/Quarrymen was hinted at the end of the first part, but I wonder whether or not the comparatively "menacing" groups like the Stones and the Kinks (who were actually banned from playing in the USA for a while in OTL) will be able cross over.

It will also be interesting to see who the Disney answer to the Brits will be. If a lot of the big name R&B stars were leaving America in the 1950s and Pat Boone was the undisputed king of the charts, I assume that rock and roll didn't develop to as great an extent as it did in OTL, so a lot of musicians will be looking back beyond the 1950s for influences (the Stones obviously being the blues singers, and I believe the Beatles are jazz aficionados here, although I'm afraid that I'm not sure how feasible that is because I've not read that part of the TL in a while. That said, maybe the relocation of their American heroes to the UK just galvanised them to practice a bit more. :D).

In any case, great timeline so far. I especially like the stuff with Orson Welles (I feel the impact on pop culture is often overlooked in a lot of timelines; that's just something I'm interested in).

Wordle for 1-5 of AWOLAWOT.
Wordle is a program which takes some text and makes the words which appear more frequently larger.
:)

AWOLAWOWordle.png

If I recall things right. The previous chapter of this TL stalled at times and rapid updates at others…

I must concur.

It was worth the wait, great epic stuff.

and, the tales of unexplained incredibly violent deaths of several AH members after they made "is this thread dead?" posts are slightly exaggerated.

okay, okay, at the last scene of one of those unexplained incredibly violent assaults, the police apparently arrived just in time to interrupt the would-be killer...

...they found the victim, gibbering miserably while holding a blood-soaked pen, claiming that the suspect had insisted that the victim write out ten "updates" about "the world with President Disney, right after the first moon landing."

some say the suspect, as he (or she?) ran off into the darkness, was cradling closely a bundle of pages...

Hey man, there is a line between shameless self promotion (ex. someone comment on my planning thread for my upcoming timeline about medieval France!) and actually linking your updates to a very popular thread checked by people (like me) yearning for more updates about a distopic, moralist America. ;)
On anther note, I would love to see this timeline get updates soon. I don't know why it was started only to have two updates and then go on an indefinite hiatus for so many months. Please, statichaos, if you're out there, end this torturous limbo!
Scipio
(Please note the large amount of sarcasm and facetiousness spread throughout this update)

OMFGWTFBBQ

Just burnt through IAWOLAWOT and WYWUAS; I know you don't need another voice in the chorus of approval, but you've done REAL good, statichaos.

Just a personal thought - I wish you had more Jerry Brown here (and indeed, more New Left stuff in general.) The collapse of the black Civil Rights Movement would send shockwaves through the rest of that history - Cesar Chavez and the farmworkers, the Asian American movement, Democrats in Hawai'i (why did they vote for Stannis, by the way? Did the Democratic Revolution of '54 happen?) and all the rest.

Aside from that, <3