When You Wish Upon A Star

Anyone think that the cold war is going to become a case of Black vs black in this timeline. I really don't think the soviet union is really going to get better being that it was founded on lenninism.

While I'm inclined to agree, the propaganda, intended and otherwise, will portray the USSR in a very favorable light, thanks to Presidents Disney and now Stennis.

Thande

Donor
There undoubtedly would be. What I'm saying is that until I'm able to sit down and seriously study the situation at the time, I'm not the best person to explore them. I'm interested to see what others come up with, though, and I'm following the current conversations with interest.

Understandable.

What is George Carlin doing around now? I'm sure he'd have a ton to say about the new pseudo-fascist powers of government.

While I'm inclined to agree, the propaganda, intended and otherwise, will portray the USSR in a very favorable light, thanks to Presidents Disney and now Stennis.

Well post-Stalin the U.S.S.R wasnt anywhere near as repressive as it had been in previous decades. So in reletive terms it's improved since the early 50's while the USA fell off a cliff. And there were always fair-sized reformist/non-Stalinist factions within the CPSU. Even after Stalin had purged the hell out of it...Several times, had things been otherwise Gorbachev would never have gotten away with the reforms he did OTL.

I just get the feeling with the Disney and later Stennis causing all this crap (wittingly or not) such as using metal hospitals to imprison dissidents would discourage the U.S.S.R from doing the same, if only for Agiprop reasons. The combination of factors. Such as the large influx of African-Americans, the near-by cultural renaissance happening in Europe, the changed outcome in Hungery, the Middle East and the apparent social breakdown in America (the author said In elsewhere that the Soviets see the US as being in decline) will take considerable Cold-War-paranoia-fuelled ‘’America will destroy us if we ever let our guard down’’ pressure off the Soviet regime

A closeted junior senator gets a bill passed legalizing the detention of of dissidents and homosexuals, as the US apartheid continues unabated. I worry that FATl-style all-out, widespread violence and terrorism between all societal groups is just around the corner. :(

Carlin was always to the left politically, but remember that his standup act started out as rather vanilla and conservative.

To be fair, he said he was never happy doing that and it's was more a career choice. I.E he felt that was what you had to do to make it as a comedian at the time.

So he would still be a closet-leftist. Unless he goes to Europe. Given Carlin's personally, he’d likely find TTL’s USA unbearable. Even if It gave him huge amounts of material to work with.

I remember most of this exceptional TL, especially with regards to the USA primary story, but I cannot remember what happened with Hungary, and it has been mentioned several times. Can someone recap?

Disney invaded Hungary to help out the Hungarians, and Hungary is now a neutral country.

Not exactly, although they did give much more support, and helped to fund a highly successful sabotage campaign. This caused a stalemate situation, and the Soviets backed off with a claim of victory before getting bogged down. Hungary is still technically Eastern Bloc, but with a democratic system.

It's more vital for me to re-read, for continuity's sake if nothing else. A sudden page of posts reading "What the hell is Beano doing in Switzerland on a goat-fondling charge when he was locked up for life by Cohn's operatives in the last post?" might break me.

It's more vital for me to re-read, for continuity's sake if nothing else. A sudden page of posts reading "What the hell is Beano doing in Switzerland on a goat-fondling charge when he was locked up for life by Cohn's operatives in the last post?" might break me.

Sounds like it would be worse for Beano....And even WORSE for the goat!:D

Well post-Stalin the U.S.S.R wasnt anywhere near as repressive as it had been in previous decades. So in reletive terms it's improved since the early 50's while the USA fell off a cliff. And there were always fair-sized reformist/non-Stalinist factions within the CPSU. Even after Stalin had purged the hell out of it...Several times, had things been otherwise Gorbachev would never have gotten away with the reforms he did OTL.

I just get the feeling with the Disney and later Stennis causing all this crap (wittingly or not) such as using metal hospitals to imprison dissidents would discourage the U.S.S.R from doing the same, if only for Agiprop reasons. The combination of factors. Such as the large influx of African-Americans, the near-by cultural renaissance happening in Europe, the changed outcome in Hungery, the Middle East and the apparent social breakdown in America (the author said In elsewhere that the Soviets see the US as being in decline) will take considerable Cold-War-paranoia-fuelled ‘’America will destroy us if we ever let our guard down’’ pressure off the Soviet regime

Have we established here that the USSR overall goes the same direction post-Stalin in terms of paramount leadership? You do make an interesting point though with respect to the Soviet leadership voewing this U.S. as being in decline.