What would have happened if the Gunpowder Plot had ended differently?

It's now 41 days until one of the most famous days in British History - 5th November.

This was a key date in the planned Gunpowder Plot in 1605 to kill King James, destroy Parliament, kidnap Princess Elizabeth, convert her to Catholicism and place her on the throne of England in order to stop persecution of the English Catholics.

The government was tipped off when Lord Monteagle handed in an anonymous letter, warning him to stay away from the opening of Parliament for his own safety. Theories of who wrote the letter are numerous but still nobody knows the source for sure. Some think it was one or other of the plotters, some think it was the Secretary of State, Robert Cecil, and others consider it was Monteagle, himself.

Following some strange delays and inaction, the government searched the Parliament buildings late on 4th November and found Guy Fawkes, hiding with his gunpowder. The plot was foiled.

But what would have happened if the Gunpowder Plot had ended differently? England and Britain could have changed in many directions and I believe our world would have been a very different place. I'm new to the forum and interested to know what people think may have happened?

Well if it succeed, we likely see a shift from how Catholics was treated to much worse. Let's say that they succeed. Do you think the Protestant would just silently accept regicide and the murder of much the elite? In fact I think much of Catholic population will also be horrified by this. So we will likely see a hardline Protestant regime come to power and begin to really persecute Catholics.

Well if it succeed, we likely see a shift from how Catholics was treated to much worse. Let's say that they succeed. Do you think the Protestant would just silently accept regicide and the murder of much the elite? In fact I think much of Catholic population will also be horrified by this. So we will likely see a hardline Protestant regime come to power and begin to really persecute Catholics.
There are many potential outcomes - a bloody civil war is definitely one.

Not seen this before - thanks for the link. It's really interesting with some fascinating views, including about what may have happened in Ireland, which I've also been thinking about.

What if somehow someone could have managed to limit the reprisals and allow both religions in England to remain alongside each other? As we see in the world today, this is hugely difficult to do but if had, there could have been many positive consequences for the future...