"What Madness Is This?" - The Expanded Universe

So yeah, I'm still alive! :p The holidays are finally over, I'm moving to a new position at Walmart with a much better schedule, and I expect to be on here more often. Yay!

Also, holy crap, Zoid, it's going to take me forever to catch up, lol. And I'm giving you permission to write as you please. You possibly know more about this timeline than anyone else, including me, lol. :D

Great to have you back. :D

Thanks! :cool: I'm planning on writing a "Where are they Know?" article here and I'll probably send you a PM about that tonight or tomorrow.

Apparently so.

It doesn't have to be. I'm sure I have some "What Madness is This" related writings on my laptop that I can post to this thread.

If anyone else whats to write for and post some stuff on this thread thats even better! :cool: The more the merrier I say.

Hey Zoidberg, good to see you around. Why not post that material some time? I don't think Napo will mind too much and it'll revive the TL, so.....yeah. :cool:

Ask, and ye shall receive. I must have written this about a year ago. Glad to finally post it.

Alternate History Fiction in the Madnessverse: Part One

By Zoidberg12

The literary genre of Alternate History first became popular throughout Europe and the Americas during the 1940's and 1950's. However, the genre existed in a more prototypical form long before that. The earliest works of alternate history include a part of Livy's Ab Urbe condita, written between 27 BC and 25 BC, in which Alexander the Great expanded his empire westward, and Tirant lo Blanch, an epic romance written by Valencian knight Joanot Martorell in 1490, in which a Breton Knight stops the Ottoman Turks from taking Constantinople in 1453 [1].

The first pioneering work of alternate-history to be published in the 19th century came in 1837, when Spanish author, orientalist, politician and Napoleonic Wars veteran Modesto Javier Menendez (1788-1846) wrote Ummah, a novella in which the Spanish Christian armies lost the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in 1212 to the Moors, leading to a 19th century where the Muslim world stretches from Occitannia to Austria, from Southern Italy to India, from Central Asia to the Caribbean. In the novella the Muslim world is the world center of art, science, philosophy, and world exploration, while the Christian lands of Northern and Central Europe are a backwater. Muslim navigators have set up trading posts in the New World and traded with the Aztec and Incan Empires, while Christian Europe is made up of a number of constantly feuding kingdoms. Technology is also less advanced and at 17th century levels. The novels protagonists are two Moorish soldiers, one Muslim, one Christian, who prepare to go to battle against an Anglo-Norman/German/Irish/Scandinavian army seeking to regain Italy for the Pope exiled in Dublin. The novella was well received in Europe at the time of its publication, but was quickly forgotten.

The first work of alternate history written in English was A Nation United, written and published in 1844 by a native New Yorker named Walter Thomas Douglas. Not much is known about Douglas himself. He was born in 1811 in Albany and spent most of his life working as a banker in New York City. He was also a veteran of the Green Mountain War, serving in an infantry division under Sergeant Franklin Pierce [2]. He died in 1888, this being the only book he ever published. In the novel, the Articles of Confederation were abandoned in favor of a new constitution, leading to a United States of America which by the then future of 1900 stretches from the east coast to west coast of North America, encompassing the land that was and would be known as French Louisiana, California, the Reservation Lands, Texas, parts of Russian Alyaska and parts of the Pacific. In the novel, the USA of 1900 is a world power under the novel's protagonist, the fictional President Walter Abernathy, who spends most of the novel attempting to prevent a war between Great Britain and the Franco-Spanish Empire, stuck in a sort of Cold War (referred to as a "Long Struggle" in the book) since the Napoleonic Wars ended with a stalemate between Great Britain and Napoleon's France (the novel briefly mentioned that King George IV was successfully usurped by his brothers). The novel was idealistic, depicting a United States which benevolently spread from coast to coast, bringing democracy and a better life where it went, allowing Native Americans to coexist peacefully in autonomous states (despite some minor wars) and being relatively tolerant of immigrant groups, regardless of their race or religion. Despite its idealism the novel was prophetic in a number of ways; predicting the notion of a Cold War for example. The novel was mostly forgotten after it was published, until the Manifest Destiny Party briefly republished and supported an "edited version" in the 1890s to support its views on "what the old United States should have been and what a new United States should be.", as Warren G. Harding put it once in an 1901 newspaper interview. The novel was again forgotten after the 1910's, with more memorable and true Union propaganda literature overshadowing it.

Another early work of alternate history, also from the RU/America, was "D.'s Correspondince" by Republican Union/American author Nathaniel Hawthrone (1804-1864), first published in the Union Weekly Magazine in 1852. In the story, a New Englander by the name of Willard Crawford Dalton thought to be insane is able to perceive a different reality where a number of long-dead historical figures such as the poets Burns, Shelley and Keats, King George IV, Alexander Hamilton, the actor Edmund Keans, Arthur Wellesley, Caesar Napoleon I and King Ferdinand VII of Spain are all still alive. Some scholars have suggested that the short story may have been inspired by "A Nation United", as Hamilton, Wellesley and Napoleon are all alive at the same time in the reality perceived by Dalton, which could hint that in the reality perceived by Dalton the USA never collapses and the Napoleonic Wars ended in stalemate. Or perhaps they are alive for different reasons. The story never goes into it. Perhaps Hawthorne read "A Nation United" and was inspired by it. Either that or he never read it and simply put a bunch of famous dead historical figures together and decided to have the reader make of it what he or she would [3].

The next famous work of early alternate history came from Virginian author, humorist and politician Samuel Clemens (1835-1921). This work was the short story "A Dark Day in Richmond", first published by Clemens in the Virginian weekly magazine Johnston’s Weekly in their August, 1908 issue. The short story takes place in a future Richmond on New Year’s Eve of the distant year of 2000, the last day of the Twentieth Century, where The Republican Union took over the Southron nations after a bloody and destructive war earlier in the century. The story’s protagonist is a cynical young soldier who can’t help but question the country he lives in, the United States of America. After discovering the truth behind the USA and the brutality the old RU brought upon his country from a smuggled book, the man comes close to madness. After being kidnapped a day later on New Year’s Day, 2001, the first day of the Twenty-First Century, by a rebel group seeking to bring down the US government, the young soldier decides to join them. The book ends on a cliffhanger, with the protagonist assassinating the Prophet-President of the USA with a bomb. Clemens also wrote The Histories that Never Where in 1911, a book consisting of a series of essays which examine a number of different alternate history scenarios, such as if Rome never fell, the royalists won the English Civil War, if Britain defeated Napoleon, if the British won the American Revolution, if the USA never fell or if King Harold Godwinson defeated William the Conqueror at Hastings in 1066.

~~~~~~

[1] These early works of AH are actually real works.

[2] After the war, Sergeant Franklin Pierce stayed in the RU armies' occupation force in Vermont, becoming a close friend of Military Governor James Polk. He was assassinated on November 26th, 1846 by members of the Skull and Bones society, his body found with multiple stab wounds and hanging from a tree on the outskirts of Burlington. It remained unknown which members of the Skull and Bones did the deed.

[3] This short story is based on Nathaniel Hawthorne's OTL short story "P.'s Correspondence".

It doesn't have to be. I'm sure I have some "What Madness is This" related writings on my laptop that I can post to this thread.

If anyone else whats to write for and post some stuff on this thread thats even better! :cool: The more the merrier I say.

I might have to write some madnessverse stuff soon then :p

I got so excited when I saw this thread. This TL brought me into AH! Can't wait to read some more great WMiT stuff! :D

Heres the first of a number of "Whatever happened to..." segments I'm planning on writing. Once again, this was laying on a Word Document for at least a year or so. There are more, albeit unfinished, summaries that I will try to finish up and post soon.

Whatever happened to…

Samuel Adams had been living in retirement in Cambridge, Massachusetts when the United States of America collapsed in 1801. While no one in their right minds intended to harm Adams for the actions of his cousin, his association with the ex-President made sure Samuel and the rest of the family would never have a place in the politics of the new Republican Union. The only thing that may have saved Adams from lynching or an assassination was his poor health. He died of an essential tremor on October 2nd, 1803, aged 81 years old.

John Quincy Adams was serving as the United States Ambassador to Prussia during the Presidency of his father and collapse of the old United States. Fearing that he would be lynched if he returned home he decided to move from Berlin to London with his English wife Louisa Johnson Adams. In 1802, he began a law practice in London, knowing that he may never return home. After five years of self-exile, he was given official permission to return to the new Republican Union by Consuls Crawford and Burr II in 1806. Nevertheless he declined, fearing he would be lynched or assassinated and knowing his political career was all but over and stillborn in the RU. Not to mention his legal career in London was very much successful. He continued to live in London until 1808, when the economic stagnation of Britain made London an unpleasant city of vagrancy, crime and borderline destitution. He and his wife decided to move to New Orleans, in Spanish Louisiana. There he became a relatively successful Inn owner (there didn't seem to be a need for lawyers in the then less-developed and seemingly wild New Orleans), and continued to live as such for the next two decades, during which Louisiana was returned to France in 1810. He died of cholera on August 9th, 1829 at the age of 62, after a small, brief outbreak occurred in New Orleans. After his death, Louisa Adams and the Adams sons, George (1801-1870), James (1803-1865) [1] and Charles Francis (1807-1877), moved back to the RU, deciding that enough time had passed since the fall of the USA, settling in Crawford, capital of the state of Chersonesus. It was there that the Adams family continued lived in obscurity, and would always continue to do so, the specter of John Adams preventing them from ever achieving prominence in their home country.

Nathan Bedford Forrest moved to a villa on Myrtle Beach after his presidency ended in 1896. During his years of retirement, Forrest made few if any public appearances, most prominently appearing during a Centennial Carolinian Independence Day Parade on May 18, 1901. Forrest died on August 28th, 1910 at the age of 89. His funeral on September 5, 1910 was the largest in Carolinian history up to that point.

Thomas Stonewall Jackson I retired to his mansion in Chalreston, Virginia after his presidency ended in 1892. Jackson continued to be a public figure during the last years of his life, acting as a sort of elder statesman in the sphere of Virginian politics. He died on October 28th, 1900 at the age of 76. His lavish funeral was held on November 1, 1900.

Warren Gamaliel Harding continued to serve as Chief of the Manifest Destiny Party for many years to come. It was during this time that, in July of 1936, he published his memoirs, Memoirs of a Patriot, which became a bestseller in the RU and within a decades time, required reading in Republican Union schools. Harding served as MDP Chief until poor health, including ulcers and a weak heart, forced him to retire on September 29th, 1940, shortly before his 75th birthday. Harding then retired to a newly-purchased estate a remote, rural part of South Dakota, where Union settlers had been coming to in full force since the Louisiana Purchase in 1901. Harding lived a quiet life on his estate, until he died of a heart attack on December 29th, 1942 at the age of 77. His body was sent back to his hometown of Marion, PA and buried in the cities cemetery. At his funeral, his eulogy was delivered by Norman Mattoon Thomas, a close friend and then Consul of Pennsylvania.

Leonard Wood remained Governor of the American Commonwealth of Liberia until his death of a malignant brain tumor in Custersville on August 7th, 1927. His body was buried in the Custersville Patriot's Cemetery, where many other founders of the colony were also buried. When the American Commonwealth of Liberia was invaded by the United Nations in 1974, his grave was desecrated by United Nations soldiers. On the orders of Tripartite-Hungarian General Miklos Lugosi (1919-1986), Wood’s body was exhumed, cremated and his ashes scattered over the Atlantic Ocean. In addition to this, Lugosi ordered and had Wood’s gravestone smashed to pieces.

List of Patriarchs of the Washington Family

George Washington I (February 22nd, 1732-December 10th, 1799)
George Washington II (March 18th, 1761-December 19th, 1825)
George Washington III (October 10th, 1782-June 11th, 1860)
George Washington IV (June 30th, 1803-October 19th, 1892)
George Washington V (September 30th, 1823-July 27th, 1890)
George Washington VI (March 28th, 1844-October 20th, 1915)
George Washington VII (January 1st, 1864-December 30th, 1926)
George Washington VIII (August 4th, 1897-July 28th, 1969)
George Washington IX (April 1st, 1921-August 8th, 2005)
George Washington X (January 3rd, 1948-June 6th, 2006?)

The Would-have been Patriarchs:

George Washington XI (June 14th, 1974-June 6th, 2006?)
George Washington XII (October 13th, 1995-June 6th, 2006?)

List of Patriarchs of the Washington Family
George Washington X (January 3rd, 1948-June 6th, 2006?)
George Washington XI (June 14th, 1974-June 6th, 2006?)
George Washington XII (October 13th, 1995-June 6th, 2006?)

So I take it that they all died on the same day?

Been a fan of WMIT for a long while, and I've read it in its entirety a good 4 or 5 times I think. Anyways, it always bothered me that we never got a flag for the Beutelist Worker's Republic of Japan (BWRJ). So, looking at the one Napo made for Brazil, have decided to submit my own flag for the BWRJ, a fusion of both the OTL Japanese flag and the TTL Beutelist Brazilian one.

800px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png

Whaddya think? I might also write a story or two for the nation, since I was very sad we never got a post focusing on it.

800px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png