What if the outcome of the "Glorious" Revolution had been decided by a sword duel between King James VII & II and William of Orange?

Who would have likely won a one-on-one sword duel?

• Total voters
In real life, William beat King James because much of James's army deserted him, but what if the outcome had been decided not by the armies, but by the men themselves?
James was 181 cm, William was only 169 cm, was asthmatic, and apparently slightly hunchbacked, but William was 15 years younger than James. Both had battle experience, but James had more extensive battle experience.
My money's on James. He was in his mid-50s at the time, so it's not like he was an old man, and his significant height advantage, as well as lack of asthma and hunchbackedness is more than enough, in my opinion, to make up for being a decade and a half older.
William was also known for being arrogant, impulsive, and hubristic. It worked to his advantage IOTL because his army outnumbered James's 3:2, but in a one-on-one sword duel against a significantly taller and more experienced man, it likely wouldn't have. He would have likely tried some ill-advised attack on James and either been killed outright (like Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in their duel, though this would be less likely if he was wearing armor, which some portraits of him show him in), or been sent to the Tower of London to be executed.
Based on what James did to his other nephew who tried to usurp his throne (Monmouth), I don't think that, had James defeated and William, William would have been allowed to continue living. I know William let James escape, but there is a difference between a usurper killing the king that they usurped and a king killing someone who tried to usurp him.

this is peak jacobitism in thread form, i don't think we'll ever get higher than this! XD

jokes aside, that's not happening: while it'd be super fun (and less bloody prbbly) in those days duels as a way to resolve conflicts of the scale of the Glorious Revolution weren't common at all

Math

Kicked
This reminded me, about the borderlands between Habsburg Hungary and the Ottomans, and that nobles, soldiers from one side and the other challenged each other to individual duels.

Last edited:
this is peak jacobitism in thread form, i don't think we'll ever get higher than this! XD

jokes aside, that's not happening: while it'd be super fun (and less bloody prbbly) in those days duels as a way to resolve conflicts of the scale of the Glorious Revolution weren't common at all
I don't see why 30% of people voted for William. Both men were middle aged, being a decade and a half younger isn't enough to compensate for being 12 cm shorter, asthmatic, slightly hunchbacked, and impulsive/hubristic. To me, this seems like, barring some unfortunate accident like slipping in the mud, King James will checkmate William easily.

On the other hand, James was quick to run away (like Brave Sir Robin in the Monty Python skit), so he may well be skewered through the back by William, his own sword thrown to the ground, while he screamed like a little girl.

On the other hand, James was quick to run away (like Brave Sir Robin in the Monty Python skit), so he may well be skewered through the back by William, his own sword thrown to the ground, while he screamed like a little girl.

It makes about as much sense as William being interested in resolving this with a sword duel.

8q1jwh.jpg

He turned him right and round about, upon the Irish shore, and gave his bridle reins a shake, with adieu forevermore, my dear, and adieu forevermore.

The only reason King James fled was because William had a bigger army, had defeated James's army, and James didn't want to be executed by William. William let James go the first time, but might not have the second time. William was not a very honorable or compassionate man.

This reminded me, about the borderlands between Habsburg Hungary and the Ottomans, and that nobles, soldiers from one side and the other challenged each other to individual duels.
Speaking of the Habsburgs, Charles V and Francis I of France both hated each other and at times challenged each other to fight in single combat. Francis who was known for recklessly charging into battle and fighting to the last man, under the right circumstances might have fought Charles V. If Charles V won the gig-chad memes about his chin would have been glorious.

its-just-so-peak-v0-joahx19d9nwb1.jpeg

Truly a Glorious Revolution indeed!

Assuming William actually accepts, and James wins, Parliament is frankly gonna be fucked. James's supporters seeing how he's clearly won will rally to his side, and James will probably, and rightfully so, march in soldiers into Parliament arresting and probably executing those who voted him in as traitors.

I'm guessing he'd disinherit his daughter as well, possibly throwing her into a Catholic nunnery to add extra salt to the wound lol.

Last edited:
Assuming William actually accepts, and James wins, Parliament is frankly gonna be fucked. James's supporters seeing how he's clearly won will rally to his side, and James will probably, and rightfully so, march in soldiers into Parliament arresting and probably executing those who voted him in as traitors.

I'm guessing he'd disinherit his daughter as well, possibly throwing her into a Catholic nunnery to add extra salt to the wound lol.
That would have been awesome, seeing as it would have spared us (the Irish) from centuries of being third-class citizens in our own homeland.

The Kings have always been better to us than Parliament was. Cromwell, who murdered Charles I, also murdered huge numbers of us. William of Orange, who was a puppet of Parliament, was responsible for much of the discrimination against us, and the Great Famine was because of policies passed by Parliament, not Victoria.

As unintuitive as it may sound, a Britain with a strong monarchy and weak Parliament was far better for us.