What if Jerusalem had assented to the 1538 Sanhedrin.

A good series of updates, thank you. You manage to capture the sweep of history together with its impact on ordinary people very well.
Thanks!
I didn't know about Tisha B'av being an unlucky day (in fact, I don't really know anything about the Jewish calendar at all), but the comments inspired me to read the wiki article about it. Yet another thing I've learned from this TL.
For the record, the significance of Tisha b'Av, at least in the Galilee, is somewhat different ITTL due to the lifting of a siege on that day in 1634, and has become a meditation on impermanence and rebuilding as well as catastrophe. The end of the Tzfat 1765 story is another example of how the Galilee Yishuv ITTL sees the day.
Those traditional offices still have real power or have become ceremonial like the great officers of the UK?
Mostly the latter, but they still have some residual powers and a good deal of moral authority - when they speak, people tend to listen.

Longlist of places for the 1840 diaspora stories: Amsterdam, Astrakhan, Berlin, Budapest, Cairo, Constantinople, Frankfurt, Krakow, London, Lyady, Marrakesh, New York, Odessa, Paris, Philadelphia, Shiraz, Thessaloniki, Uman. Obviously I won't do all of these, and I may double up some of them (for instance by having a character travel between NYC and Philly or looping Cairo into one of the Yishuv stories), but I'm shooting for a representative sample. If you have any preferences - including for places not on the list - don't hesitate to share them.

Longlist of places for the 1840 diaspora stories: Amsterdam, Astrakhan, Berlin, Budapest, Cairo, Constantinople, Frankfurt, Krakow, London, Lyady, Marrakesh, New York, Odessa, Paris, Philadelphia, Shiraz, Thessaloniki, Uman. Obviously I won't do all of these, and I may double up some of them (for instance by having a character travel between NYC and Philly or looping Cairo into one of the Yishuv stories), but I'm shooting for a representatiive sample. If you have any preferences - including for places not on the list - don't hesitate to share them.
maybe continue Ibn Ezra and the Or Tamid.

Longlist of places for the 1840 diaspora stories: Amsterdam, Astrakhan, Berlin, Budapest, Cairo, Constantinople, Frankfurt, Krakow, London, Lyady, Marrakesh, New York, Odessa, Paris, Philadelphia, Shiraz, Thessaloniki, Uman. Obviously I won't do all of these, and I may double up some of them (for instance by having a character travel between NYC and Philly or looping Cairo into one of the Yishuv stories), but I'm shooting for a representative sample. If you have any preferences - including for places not on the list - don't hesitate to share them.
Thessalonica, Shiraz and Astrakhan all stand out as real interesting to me -- Bombay, Bukhara, Cochin and the Ethiopian highlands would also be intriguing.

Thessalonica, Shiraz and Astrakhan all stand out as real interesting to me -- Bombay, Bukhara, Cochin and the Ethiopian highlands would also be intriguing.
I thought about putting Gondar on the list, but 1840 is still a bit early - the connections between the Beta Israel and the wider world were just beginning at that time. India and Central Asia bear thinking about, though, especially with the Sassoons being in both Bombay and the Yishuv.

Another thing about the Beta Israel ITTL is that the Yishuv may have an easier time accepting them as Jews - at this point, the origin story of the Beta Israel being descended from the tribe of Dan will still be accepted as fact, so there won't be the kind of halachic doubt that existed by the 1970s-80s IOTL. Their Judaism is non-mainstream by Ashkenazi and Mizrahi standards, but it's non-mainstream in the same way as the Karaites who were universally accepted as Jewish (albeit heterodox) and who intermarried with rabbinic Jews. So any 19th-century Ethiopian immigrant community - and there will likely be one, given the waves of persecution that happened in Ethiopia in the latter part of the century - would probably be treated much like Karaites, having their own synagogues and communal officials but with their status as Jews beyond dispute. And we will see Sigd celebrated in the Galilee, and maybe in Jerusalem, before the century is out.

I have to put in a request for some Krymchak representation. At this point, we're about a generation out from the annexation of Crimea, which was NOT a good time for the Krymchaks. And it's unlikely that they'd be joining the Chabad regiment. So we might see some of them wash ashore in the Holy Land.

I have to put in a request for some Krymchak representation. At this point, we're about a generation out from the annexation of Crimea, which was NOT a good time for the Krymchaks. And it's unlikely that they'd be joining the Chabad regiment. So we might see some of them wash ashore in the Holy Land.
Sounds like a plan. The online sources give me an idea of what the community was like and what they were going through at the time, but can you recommend anything that goes into more depth? Also, do you know of any folklore collections, preferably in English?

Jodensavanne? ;)

Jodensavanne? ;)
Wow, that's a new one on me, and I hadn't thought there were many new ones on me when it comes to the Jewish diaspora. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, given the use of slave labor), it was pretty well gone by 1840 and what was left of the Jewish planter population had moved to Paramaribo. By all accounts they were doing well there, and they're an interesting community, but they're a very peripheral one - I doubt they'd even be influenced much by the Amsterdam Haskalah, given how insular and reactionary they appear to have been.

OTOH, some members of this congregation, which had substantial grievances and which was dissolved in the late 1810s, might decide that they'd have better fortune elsewhere. The question is whether "elsewhere" is Amsterdam or the Yishuv. Both have interesting possibilities. Many of the Black and mixed-race Jews appear to have been literate and were substantial craftsmen, and in Amsterdam they'd have a chance to make alliances with the liberal maskilim. In the Yishuv, they could find the same place the Sudanese gerim and their descendants have found - the West African aspects of their culture are very different from the Nilotic roots of the Sudanese community, but there could be some synergies.

Wow, that's a new one on me, and I hadn't thought there were many new ones on me when it comes to the Jewish diaspora. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, given the use of slave labor), it was pretty well gone by 1840 and what was left of the Jewish planter population had moved to Paramaribo. By all accounts they were doing well there, and they're an interesting community, but they're a very peripheral one - I doubt they'd even be influenced much by the Amsterdam Haskalah, given how insular and reactionary they appear to have been.

OTOH, some members of this congregation, which had substantial grievances and which was dissolved in the late 1810s, might decide that they'd have better fortune elsewhere. The question is whether "elsewhere" is Amsterdam or the Yishuv. Both have interesting possibilities. Many of the Black and mixed-race Jews appear to have been literate and were substantial craftsmen, and in Amsterdam they'd have a chance to make alliances with the liberal maskilim. In the Yishuv, they could find the same place the Sudanese gerim and their descendants have found - the West African aspects of their culture are very different from the Nilotic roots of the Sudanese community, but there could be some synergies.

If you want to make a shared jewniverse, I'd be more than happy to write that section

Building toward 1840, another note on population.

When last we left the issue in 1765, the Yishuv had about 40,000 people and had been growing since the late 1730s after a century of relative stagnation. Immigration was up, both because Zahir al-Umar was recruiting immigrants and because the Galilee’s incorporation into his empire brought increased security and stability, and natural increase was enough to balance losses from epidemics and from the two 1759 earthquakes.

It has now been another 75 years, so it’s worth looking at worldwide Jewish population trends and how the Yishuv might fit in.

1. Natural increase. Premodern population statistics are always hard to pin down, but Crystal and Leitenberg, the authors of this IIJG project, have done their homework well and made a thorough study of the available archival material. One thing they note in their summary is that, beginning in the late 18th century, the Jewish population of Europe began rising really fast. There were about 716,000 Jews in Europe in 1700 and maybe double that at the time of the French Revolution, but 2.7 million in 1825 and 4.1 million in 1850. That last interval is a 52 percent increase in 25 years – basically a 42-year doubling time. To be sure, the European population in general was rising during this period, but the Jewish population was rising faster.

It’s tempting to credit this to emancipation, and some of it probably is due to the end of restrictions that were specifically aimed at keeping Jewish population down, like heavy marriage taxes and limits on the number of males in each family who could marry. Such restrictions existed in the Austrian empire and some other German states up to the late 18th century but were unknown after that, even in the states that backslid on emancipation after 1815. But Jewish population rose just as fast in the countries where emancipation came late or was revoked as in those where it prevailed, so most of the rise is probably down to better material conditions – increases in wealth that made it possible to raise larger families.

Notably, this wasn’t happening in the Jewish population outside Europe (or even in peripheral Europe – the interactive maps in the IIJG study show that the number of Jews in Salonika and Constantinople, for instance, grew a lot more slowly between 1750 and 1850 than cities like Warsaw or London). The trends of the 18th and 19th centuries were part of a long-term shift away from the early modern Sephardi/Mizrahi majority to an Ashkenazi supermajority. Daniel Elazar has noted that Sephardim (who he defines by their approach to halacha, and thus includes most of those who we would today describe as Mizrahi) outnumbered Ashkenazim three to two in the mid-17th century but that this ratio was flipped by 1800, and that the Ashkenazi percentage continued to increase until Jews in the MENA region experienced their own population explosion in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Again, this was due to both social and material conditions – the social status of Jews in the Maghreb, Yemen, Iraq and Persia in the early 19th century was stagnant or even declining, and most Jews in these regions were still living in conditions of dire poverty.

So which model would the Yishuv ITTL follow? It probably won’t surprise you that I think its natural population growth will be similar to Europe. The social status of Jews in the Yishuv is pretty high – they have their own quasi-state in the Galilee, the Zaydani state looks favorably on them elsewhere, and the Napoleonic-era agreements mean that they also enjoy some communal privileges in the Nabulsi territories. They’re also pretty well off by contemporary standards – Ottoman Palestine was underpopulated during this period, so they aren’t crammed into tenements or bare-subsistence-level plots of land. Their diet is good and the better roads built in the early 19th century help bring produce to urban markets. Epidemics can still be deadly, but improved sanitation – both the civil authorities and the Sanhedrin have taken the lead on this – has made them less so (given how many of rabbis in Ottoman Palestine were also doctors, I’d imagine that the Sanhedrin would also be ideally situated to carry out a smallpox vaccination program) and also improved infant mortality. Even earthquakes – there’s another one in 1837 – aren’t as catastrophic as before thanks to the lessons learned from 1759.

We shouldn’t make the mistake of thinking conditions are too rosy; this is still a premodern society, very poor by our standards, and this is still a time when germ theory was just starting to be a thing. A more interconnected world will also pose challenges of its own – the Yishuv in the 1830s will have to deal with cholera, for instance (the Or Tamid’s decision to build a secular library will be very helpful here) – but I’m thinking that natural increase between 1765 and 1840, and especially between 1815 and 1840, will be high.

This also means, given the Yishuv's Sephardi/Mizrahi majority, that the Ashkenazi proportion of world Jewry might not grow as fast or rise as high, with the Yishuv's growth partially offsetting that of the European Ashkenazim. But the effects of that probably won't be felt as early as 1840.

2. Immigration. My working assumption is that this will continue to ramp up gradually, with interruptions during pandemics or times of war. Both the Zaydani emirs and the Tuqans are welcoming, and the Yishuv is concentrated enough in the Galilee and recently-built-up coastal areas that most rank-and-file Muslims don’t feel threatened by it (the Muslims and Christians in the coastal cities, many of whom are immigrants themselves, tend to self-select for those who don’t mind sharing space with Jews). Push and pull factors are both increasing; the period between 1815 and 1830 wasn’t a happy one in many diaspora communities, and the Yishuv’s prosperity makes it a more attractive destination in its own right.

Again, there are limits. Ottoman Palestine is a long trip from most of the places where Jews live; London, Amsterdam, and even Vienna or Budapest (not to mention the Americas) are also available for those seeking an escape from the Pale; and diaspora Jews consider the Yishuv a bit strange in its ways, although increased pilgrimage and tourism (mentioned in the 1810 story) are helping to make it more familiar. But the Yishuv is drawing from a wide catchment area, and it’s small enough that a few tens of thousands of immigrants over a couple of generations can go a long way.

3. So, bottom-line numbers: my working assumption is that the Yishuv in 1799, at the time of the Napoleonic invasion, numbers 60,000 to 65,000 people, rising to 90,000 in 1815 and 175,000 in 1840. Of these, about 120,000 live in the Galilee, 20,000 in the cities of the coastal plain, 10,000 in the feudal moshavim, 10,000 in Acre and points north, and 15,000 in the Tuqan domains (Jerusalem has drawn some immigration – mitnagdim from the Pale, for instance, and maybe the Krimchaks as well, and others have been attracted by the economic growth in Nablus proper). Galilee thus still makes up a supermajority of the Yishuv but there has been increasing dispersion to other areas.

If this Yishuv were superimposed on the OTL population of Ottoman Palestine, which was about 350,000 to 400,000 in 1840, they would be a 25 to 30 percent minority. But the non-Jewish population ITTL is also higher – the Zaydani state has recruited Muslim and Christian immigrants from Egypt and Syria, and Bedouin tribes along the Zaydani and Nabulsi peripheries have increasingly adopted settled ways – and the Zaydani and Nabulsi polities both include territories outside the boundaries of Ottoman Palestine (the Zaydani state in southern Lebanon and Nablus in the Transjordan). The number of Jewish immigrants is proportionally higher due to their larger catchment area, but not overwhelmingly larger. So my assumption is that while Jews are 20 to 25 percent of the Zaydani population, they’re a much smaller minority in the Tuqan domains and in Palestine as a whole.

4. In the scheme of things, 175,000 people isn’t that many. The nagidah is still less monarch than mayor (which isn’t a bad thing – it’s part of the reason she can do retail politics and consensus-building as she did when creating the Va’ad ha-Aretz), and the Yishuv still makes up only 4 to 5 percent of the world Jewish population. OTOH, the Yishuv’s location and intellectual output makes it punch above its weight – and also, on the urban level, Tzfat has become one of the world’s greatest Jewish cities. If you look at the IIJG’s 1800 and 1850 maps, there are only two European cities in 1800 that have more than 20,000 Jews, and in 1850 there are still just nine. The city with the highest Jewish population in 1850, Warsaw, had a community of about 43,000, and as far as I can tell, only one other city, Salonika/Thessaloniki, had more than 30,000. Jews in 1840-50 were still mostly a shtetl-based population – this changed dramatically in the second half of the 19th century, but at this point in the timeline, not yet. So Tzfat, with 32,000 Jews in a total urban population of 40,000, is the third-largest Jewish city on the planet, which is another reason why, at least for the moment, it wields outsized cultural influence.

The first 1840 story should be coming soon – I’d like to say in time for Pesach, but that depends on my calendar.

Last edited:
Building toward 1840, another note on population.

When last we left the issue in 1765, the Yishuv had about 40,000 people and had been growing since the late 1730s after a century of relative stagnation. Immigration was up, both because Zahir al-Umar was recruiting immigrants and because the Galilee’s incorporation into his empire brought increased security and stability, and natural increase was enough to balance losses from epidemics and from the two 1759 earthquakes.

It has now been another 75 years, so it’s worth looking at worldwide Jewish population trends and how the Yishuv might fit in.

1. Natural increase. Premodern population statistics are always hard to pin down, but Crystal and Leitenberg, the authors of this IIJG project, have done their homework well and made a thorough study of the available archival material. One thing they note in their summary is that, beginning in the late 18th century, the Jewish population of Europe began rising really fast. There were about 716,000 Jews in Europe in 1700 and maybe double that at the time of the French Revolution, but 2.7 million in 1825 and 4.1 million in 1850. That last interval is a 52 percent increase in 25 years – basically a 43-year doubling time. To be sure, the European population in general was rising during this period, but the Jewish population was rising faster.

It’s tempting to credit this to emancipation, and some of it probably is due to the end of restrictions that were specifically aimed at keeping Jewish population down, like heavy marriage taxes and limits on the number of males in each family who could marry. Such restrictions existed in the Austrian empire and some other German states up to the late 18th century but were unknown after that, even in the states that backslid on emancipation after 1815. But Jewish population rose just as fast in the countries where emancipation came late or was revoked as in those where it prevailed, so most of the rise is probably down to better material conditions – increases in wealth that made it possible to raise larger families.

Notably, this wasn’t happening in the Jewish population outside Europe (or even in peripheral Europe – the interactive maps in the IIJG study show that the number of Jews in Salonika and Constantinople, for instance, grew a lot more slowly between 1750 and 1850 than cities like Warsaw or London). The trends of the 18th and 19th centuries were part of a long-term shift away from the early modern Sephardi/Mizrahi majority to an Ashkenazi supermajority. Daniel Elazar has noted that Sephardim (who he defines by their approach to halacha, and thus includes most of those who we would today describe as Mizrahi) outnumbered Ashkenazim three to two in the mid-17th century but that this ratio was flipped by 1800, and that the Ashkenazi percentage continued to increase until Jews in the MENA region experienced their own population explosion in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Again, this was due to both social and material conditions – the social status of Jews in the Maghreb, Yemen, Iraq and Persia in the early 19th century was stagnant or even declining, and most Jews in these regions were still living in conditions of dire poverty.

So which model would the Yishuv ITTL follow? It probably won’t surprise you that I think its natural population growth will be similar to Europe. The social status of Jews in the Yishuv is pretty high – they have their own quasi-state in the Galilee, the Zaydani state looks favorably on them elsewhere, and the Napoleonic-era agreements mean that they also enjoy something close to equality in the Nabulsi territories. They’re also pretty well off by contemporary standards – Ottoman Palestine was underpopulated during this period, so they aren’t crammed into tenements or bare-subsistence-level plots of land. Their diet is good and the better roads built in the early 19th century help bring produce to urban markets. Epidemics can still be deadly, but improved sanitation – both the civil authorities and the Sanhedrin have taken the lead on this – has made them less so (given how many of rabbis in Ottoman Palestine were also doctors, I’d imagine that the Sanhedrin would also be ideally situated to carry out a smallpox vaccination program) and also improved infant mortality. Even earthquakes – there’s another one in 1837 – aren’t as catastrophic as before thanks to the lessons learned from 1759.

We shouldn’t make the mistake of thinking conditions are too rosy; this is still a premodern society, very poor by our standards, and this is still a time when germ theory was just starting to be a thing. A more interconnected world will also pose challenges of its own – the Yishuv in the 1830s will have to deal with cholera, for instance (the Or Tamid’s decision to build a secular library will be very helpful here) – but I’m thinking that natural increase between 1765 and 1840, and especially between 1815 and 1840, will be high.

This also means, given the Yishuv's Sephardi/Mizrahi majority, that the Ashkenazi proportion of world Jewry might not grow as fast or rise as high, with the Yishuv's growth partially offsetting that of the European Ashkenazim. But the effects of that probably won't be felt as early as 1840.

2. Immigration. My working assumption is that this will continue to ramp up gradually, with interruptions during pandemics or times of war. Both the Zaydani emirs and the Tuqans are welcoming, and the Yishuv is concentrated enough in the Galilee and recently-built-up coastal areas that most rank-and-file Muslims don’t feel threatened by it (the Muslims and Christians in the coastal cities, many of whom are immigrants themselves, tend to self-select for those who don’t mind sharing space with Jews). Push and pull factors are both increasing; the period between 1815 and 1830 wasn’t a happy one in many diaspora communities, and the Yishuv’s prosperity makes it a more attractive destination in its own right.

Again, there are limits. Ottoman Palestine is a long trip from most of the places where Jews live; London, Amsterdam, and even Vienna or Budapest (not to mention the Americas) are also available for those seeking an escape from the Pale; and diaspora Jews consider the Yishuv a bit strange in its ways, although increased pilgrimage and tourism (mentioned in the 1810 story) are helping to make it more familiar. But the Yishuv is drawing from a wide catchment area, and it’s small enough that a few tens of thousands of immigrants over a couple of generations can go a long way.

3. So, bottom-line numbers: my working assumption is that the Yishuv in 1799, at the time of the Napoleonic invasion, numbers 60,000 to 65,000 people, rising to 90,000 in 1815 and 175,000 in 1840. Of these, about 120,000 live in the Galilee, 20,000 in the cities of the coastal plain, 10,000 in the feudal moshavim, 10,000 in Acre and points north, and 15,000 in the Tuqan domains (Jerusalem has drawn some immigration – mitnagdim from the Pale, for instance, and maybe the Krimchaks as well, and others have been attracted by the economic growth in Nablus proper). Galilee thus still makes up a supermajority of the Yishuv but there has been increasing dispersion to other areas.

If this Yishuv were superimposed on the OTL population of Ottoman Palestine, which was about 350,000 to 400,000 in 1840, they would be a 25 to 30 percent minority. But the non-Jewish population ITTL is also higher – the Zaydani state has recruited Muslim and Christian immigrants from Egypt and Syria, and Bedouin tribes along the Zaydani and Nabulsi peripheries have increasingly adopted settled ways – and the Zaydani and Nabulsi polities both include territories outside the boundaries of Ottoman Palestine (the Zaydani state in southern Lebanon and Nablus in the Transjordan). The number of Jewish immigrants is proportionally higher due to their larger catchment area, but not overwhelmingly larger. So my assumption is that while Jews are 20 to 25 percent of the Zaydani population, they’re a much smaller minority in the Tuqan domains and in Palestine as a whole.

4. In the scheme of things, 175,000 people isn’t that many. The nagidah is still less monarch than mayor (which isn’t a bad thing – it’s part of the reason she can do retail politics and consensus-building as she did when creating the Va’ad ha-Aretz), and the Yishuv still makes up only 4 to 5 percent of the world Jewish population. OTOH, the Yishuv’s location and intellectual output makes it punch above its weight – and also, on the urban level, Tzfat has become one of the world’s greatest Jewish cities. If you look at the IIJG’s 1800 and 1850 maps, there are only two European cities in 1800 that have more than 20,000 Jews, and in 1850 there are still just nine. The city with the highest Jewish population in 1850, Warsaw, had a community of about 43,000, and as far as I can tell, only one other city, Salonika/Thessaloniki, had more than 30,000. Jews in 1840-50 were still mostly a shtetl-based population – this changed dramatically in the second half of the 19th century, but at this point in the timeline, not yet. So Tzfat, with 32,000 Jews in a total urban population of 40,000, is the third-largest Jewish city on the planet, which is another reason why, at least for the moment, it wields outsized cultural influence.

The first 1840 story should be coming soon – I’d like to say in time for Pesach, but that depends on my calendar.
This Tzafat is less mystical than OTL?

This Tzafat is less mystical than OTL?
The mysticism is certainly there, but for the most part it's more grounded, given that the Yishuv ITTL is overwhelmingly a working population rather than religious pilgrims living on remittances - in that respect, it resembles OTL's 16th century Yishuv more than that of the early 19th century.

The mysticism is certainly there, but for the most part it's more grounded, given that the Yishuv ITTL is overwhelmingly a working population rather than religious pilgrims living on remittances - in that respect, it resembles OTL's 16th century Yishuv more than that of the early 19th century.
thanks. I was trying to think of the butterflies of Tzafat being a major center of Judaism compared to OTL but given OTL Tzafat was the center of Lurianic Kabbalah, that was my first thought.

thanks. I was trying to think of the butterflies of Tzafat being a major center of Judaism compared to OTL but given OTL Tzafat was the center of Lurianic Kabbalah, that was my first thought.
Lurianic Kabbalism became widespread during the 17th and 18th centuries - it was a big deal among the Hasidic forerunners and ultimately the Hasidim, and became canon in much of the Mizrahi world as well (although it divided the Yemenites among others). Tzfat is certainly a big part of the origin and ITTL is still contributing, but I'd say that by 1800 or even 1700, Lurianic Kabbalah isn't mainly a Tzfat thing and that its development is multipolar.

The butterflies of Tzfat retaining and increasing its prominence ITTL include the global influence of the Sanhedrin's scholarship and jurisprudence (including but not limited to its work on custom), the reach of the Galilee Haskalah (although it shares this with Acre) and the Galilee's Tzabar culture, and the growth of Hebrew as spoken in the Galilee as one of the two possible literary standards, among others.

So, this is for waaaay down the line, but had an idea;
I wonder what Grant's tour of the holy land in 1878 would be like in this timeline.
Grant and Jewish people have an interesting history. I highly recommend the book When Grant Expelled the Jews. A fantasticly written and well researched book that inspired me to my current path of wanting to be a researcher and professor of Jewish history.

I am curious would we see a chapter about the religious developments between the Jews both in the Levant and elsewhere it has been mentions previously but I think it would be good to have a more detailed look at the beliefs of the Yishuv and the diaspora and how they have diverged from otl

So, this is for waaaay down the line, but had an idea; I wonder what Grant's tour of the holy land in 1878 would be like in this timeline.
That would be an interesting encounter, wouldn't it? Based on the Wikipedia article, he wasn't impressed by Jerusalem IOTL, and I'm guessing it was Julia's idea to go there, given that she was much more religious than he was. ITTL, maybe he'd find the region of more interest (especially if they go at a better time of year) and maybe she'd persuade him to follow Jesus's footsteps into the Galilee.

From what I understand, Grant was mostly favorable toward Jews, Order 11 notwithstanding. IOTL, he found the condition of the Jews of Jerusalem more pitiable than anything else; ITTL he obviously wouldn't, and while the religious aspects of the Yishuv wouldn't intrigue him, their cultural aspects might. He may actually be less likely to meet an American Jewish delegation there, given that ITTL their charity won't be needed.

Anyway, if I do end up writing an 1875-80 arc, and if the Civil War and Grant's presidency happen as IOTL (I've committed wholesale butterfly slaughter already, so why not?), his tour will be part of it. Was he still doing watercolors in the 1870s? Maybe the definitive American paintings of the Holy Land in the late 19th century will be his.
I am curious would we see a chapter about the religious developments between the Jews both in the Levant and elsewhere it has been mentions previously but I think it would be good to have a more detailed look at the beliefs of the Yishuv and the diaspora and how they have diverged from otl
I'll work some of these details into the 1840 stories, and since I'm planning to do the 1840 arc similarly to the 1765 arc with each story followed by a historical note, the details will be explained further in the notes.