War Plans that should never have been thought of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since wera er having threads on ships, aircraft, tanks that should never have been made, how about War Plans that should never have been laid out...

Pride of place, of course, the wonderful Sea Lion. For so many reasons I wont even bother to list them...

Next, the Japanese Invasion of Australia (even ignoring the isue of why the Japanese want to invade a continent covered in convicts and rabbits...:D)
While I suppose it's possible (given a huge effort) to take the isolated city of Darwin (and just sit there, its a thousant miles to anywhere interesting), I'm thinking of the full blown invasion of the East Coast. Logistics....nah, we dont need no logistics...:p (maybe they are planning to live off all those bunnies, not so sure what they are doing about POL and ammo...)

And if course the taking of Gibralter. As someone whos been there and gone over (and into) the tunnels (including some of the ones the public dont have access to :D), the idea of storming it is, well, a nightmare. Even with all the superheavy artillery you can dream up. And the point..er, to allow Franco to lose the Canaries, and probably get invaded.

Market-Garden comes to mind.

Market-Garden was a nightmare, but it wasn't a fundamentally unsound concept. Honestly, with someone else running the show, it may well have gone off correctly.

I'll nominate the 2006 invasion of southern Lebanon by Israel. It was expensive, poorly coordinated, and accomplished absolutely nothing aside from pissing everyone off, in both countries and in the world at large.

Riain

Banned
The British defence of Malaya in 1941-2, losing an army and the core of a fleet for absolutely zero positive result.

USA's Hollywood-inspired scheme to rescue Iranian hostages. The people making it must have known it would never work.

Plan of Poland,

Sovjet Polands warplan in case of a nuclear war with NATO.

Use all nukes located in Sovjet Poland to wipe out everything from the Oder to the North sea then send in the army to wipe out any survivors.

IN A NUCLEAR WASTELAND!!!

Operation Zwarte Tulp/Black Tulilp. Dutch emergency plan incase Suriname would blow up during the approach to the Surinamese independence. It probably fell into the hands of Desi Bouterse who use it for the Coup of the Sergeants in 1982 which led to a civil war, economic troubles and a detoriating relationship with the Netherlands.

Operation Zwarte Tulp/Black Tulilp. Dutch emergency plan incase Suriname would blow up during the approach to the Surinamese independence. It probably fell into the hands of Desi Bouterse who use it for the Coup of the Sergeants in 1982 which led to a civil war, economic troubles and a detoriating relationship with the Netherlands.

Ooh! What sort of operation was envisioned? I'd love to hear the details...

Any quickly resolved conflict involving Afghanistan...
In fact, pretty much anything a politician says will be quickly resolved...:p

Riain

Banned
The Australian Task Force Vietnam laying that fucken minefield, lifted mines were the biggest killer of Aussies in the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.