War of the Worlds 1953 aftermath

i have seen multiple timelines and other things talking about the aftermath of the Martian Invasion of Britain in the original War of the Worlds. Originally, i was gonna make this about the aftermath of the 1938 radio serial, but i decided to do the classic 1953 movie instead because no one ever seems to speculate the aftermath of it. So i was wondering what you guys think that the World and geopolitics would be like after the Martian (or Mor Taxan) invasion of Earth? would the Cold War continue? would any new superpowers arise?
Note: i am speaking of a realistic aftermath, because the idea in the 1988 TV series that the entire worldwide invasion was somehow covered up and never talked about again is just absurd. that would be like trying to cover up WW2 and force people to never talk about it again.

Didn't they all land in the US? I imagine the military confiscated the war machines and the aliens and transported them to Area 51 for research and testing.

Didn't they all land in the US? I imagine the military confiscated the war machines and the aliens and transported them to Area 51 for research and testing.
It was global. China, Turkey, Bolivia, Turkey, Britain and France are mentioned. We see some war maps showing military concentrations in Brazil and the Soviet Union also.

I can imagine cooperation between NATO and the Warsaw Pact nations that survived just in case the Martians or new aliens come.

"Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest nuclear battle in the history of mankind. 'Mankind.' That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!'"
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower, speaking from Indian Springs Air Force Auxiliary Field in Lincoln County, Nevada​

There's probably going to be some level of political reorientation as a result of this. Based on the movie:
-The United States is, at best, crippled. Though Washington and New York seem to have survived based on their last mentions in the movie, a lot of important areas were devastated by the Martians. If the Martians managed to enter the preceding cities before falling ill, it's worse.
-"Half of Europe" has been destroyed, including France and the UK
-India has suffered massive displacement and the loss of New Delhi. Neighboring countries may be collapsing under refugee problems.
-Based on maps in one scene with General Mann, Brazil, Australia and the Soviet Union have suffered massive Martin occupation.

You're going to see a realignment of power from this. Europe is probably finished, since it's still rebuilding from WWII. The Soviets will be in no position to continue challenging the US for dominance if the Martian concentration is any indication. The US is likely the best suited to emerge from this, but even it has to deal with the devastation of California, Long Island (and possibly New York City), Florida and other sensitive areas.

Australia was pretty much Martian...there were also major concentrations in Canada (in the Prairie), India, China, North Africa, the Soviet Union, Western Europe. Then there was the infestation in the U.S: San Francsisco, Seattle, the L.A. area (which will also have to rebuild from the nuclear strike).

Probably an increase in unity from Humanity, now that there's someone to hate outside of us.

The presence of the red.... weed will probably fuck up a few ecosystems, and the shock will probably change the political landscape.

Here's a link to the script for the movie. There are some changes from what was supposed to be the final version here from what made it into the movie.

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/WARWORLDS.txt

EDIT: George Pal actually went down to Camp Pendleton and talked with the Marines there. His original idea was to use the tripods from the novel, but went to the manta-ray type of ship when Marine officers told him that the tripods wouldn't last long against modern (1952) ground forces with all types of anti-armor weapons of the day (recoilless rifles, bazookas, artillery), backed up by air power. Hence the manta ray ships and the force screens.

I have watched the DVD again, and took notes as to where the Martians were concentrated prior to the nuclear strike: The scene starts at 56:10 on the DVD.

North America: Canada from Central Sask. to the U.S. border (Northern Minnesota), a major concentration in Northern Alberta and Sask., and from Montreal east through the Maritime Provinces, but not PEI or Nova Scotia.

U.S: Seattle down towards Idaho and Northern Nevada, San Francisco Bay Area-Sacramento, L.A. area. No sign of landings near NY (the report of landings on Long Island mentioned pre-battle could be a false alarm).

Mexico: Mexico City and vicinity.

No Martians in Central America or on any of the Caribbean islands.

South America: A small concentration in either Ecuador or Peru (even pausing and zooming made it hard to tell), a large concentration from Santiago east to Buenos Aires and on to Rio. Also a large group in Brazil's NE tip going to the NW along the coastline.

Europe: UK: London south to Dover. France: Bordeaux NE to Paris. Portugal from Lisbon east through Spain (Madrid) to the Med Coast. Norway: Western Norway (Stavenger area, looks like, not Oslo). Sweden: area around Stockholm. Italy: Po River through Rome south to Naples. Yugoslavia: Most of the country. A small group in European Turkey. In Eastern Europe, Hungary all the way through Romania into Bulgaria. Narration mentions Finland, but the map room scene has nothing in the country. The USSR: A large concentration from the White Sea (Archangel) to the southeast. One large concentration in European Russia possibly from Leningrad down to Moscow (hard to tell, even with pausing the DVD and zooming) Several major concentrations in Central Asia (one from the Iranian border NE through Astrakhan) and in the Soviet Far East.

Africa: A large grouping along the Morocco-Algerian border due south-those two were French at the time, along with what was French West Africa. A pair of large groups from Cairo down to the SW towards Chad. South Africa has the central part of the country occupied from Pretoria-Johannesburg down to Durban and to the west. Also in Namibia. Madagascar is cut in two through the middle of the island.

Asia: India from New Delhi south almost to the tip. Most of Burma is also occupied, along with some points in what was French Indochina. (makes one wonder how the Vietminh and the French handled this...) Scattered landings in the Philippines, Borneo, and Northern New Guinea. Japan has landings in three of the four Home Islands (Shikoku excepted). China has a large infestation starting at the Yalu River and going to the NW through most of Manchuria. A second major grouping starts at Beijing and goes down to Shanghai, then west along the Yangtze. A third grouping seems to be S of the Mongolia-PRC border. No Martians in the Malay Peninsula, Korea, Taiwan, Okinawa, Asian Turkey and the rest of the Middle East.

Australia: Most of the interior...Darwin South to near the South Coast, along parts of it, then east to Sydney, and north, with the Cape York Peninsula cut off. The map does not show NZ.

I watched the film the other day and I was thinking how things would be like in Korea considering there was still a war in 1953. Any Martian invasion of Earth means that the Korean War is effectively over and I can just picture UN, DPRK, and PRC forces joining together to fight the common Martian enemy. Thoughts?

Has anyone seen the TV show?

What was the fallout in that?

The TV show is not great. It was surprisingly gory for 1980s television, but the first season went with the premise that the 1953 invasion was somehow hushed up worldwide. Which is like saying we, in 2016, managed to hush up a massive worldwide alien invasion that took place in 1976.

The second season went completely off the rails into wacky dystopian country.

The TV show is not great. It was surprisingly gory for 1980s television, but the first season went with the premise that the 1953 invasion was somehow hushed up worldwide. Which is like saying we, in 2016, managed to hush up a massive worldwide alien invasion that took place in 1976.

Wow,

Wow, I mean, did they even watch the original movie?

Crazy.

Geon

Donor
I was a big fan of the 1953 film

As Matt Wiser says at one point there was a scene showing the areas "blacked out" by the invasion forces in the command center.

Several major cities were attacked and destroyed although the film highlighted the Los Angeles area.

The world now has access to the Martians' war machines and their technology. With force screens capable of shrugging off even the detonation of a nuclear warhead I think we have seen the end of the arms race as we have known it.

However, something not discussed thus far, which the (blech!:perservingface:) TV show tried to mention but did so badly was the probability of a second wave. The Martians comefrom a dying planet. The only other habitable world in the solar system is Earth. They've fairly botched any chance for peaceful settlement on this planet with their first wave of invasion and now the humans have access to their technology. Their choices are face extinction or conquer Earth. It's very likely there will be a second wave of invaders.

There will be political reorientation. The cold war will have died a quick death with the First Martian Invasion of 1953. The United Nations will likely have a more prominent place in the world's affairs, especially since it will be clear that there will need to be a common front presented to the Martians when not if they return.

There will be political reorientation. The cold war will have died a quick death with the First Martian Invasion of 1953. The United Nations will likely have a more prominent place in the world's affairs, especially since it will be clear that there will need to be a common front presented to the Martians when not if they return.
It didn't take long for the Allies to break apart after the defeat of the Axis in WWII... do you really see humanity holding together, let alone bothering to try, after this?