Union and Liberty: An American TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part Thirty: Choosing Sides
Huh, after complaining about writer's block, an amazing thing happened. I actually wrote something! :p Here it is. This will probably be another update-as-I-write-it parts, so keep watching this post.

Part Thirty: Choosing Sides

Choosing Sides: Andrew Johnson was sworn into office on March 4th, 1862. Over the next week votes were held in many southern states on leaving the Union to join the Confederate States, but only Calhoun voted to secede. The initial military movements of both sides in the months following Johnson's accession to the presidency were primarily consolidation efforts. The United States moved troops into southern Missouri to discourage any local secessionist sentiment in the region, and reinforced the Union position in Washington DC.

Meanwhile, the Confederacy was organizing itself both militarily and politically. On March 17, representatives from the states making up the CSA met in Augusta, Georgia and elected Howell Cobb as the first president of the Confederate States of America. The Confederate constitution outline terms of two years for the president as opposed to four years in the Union, and delegated more explicit powers to the states, but in most other respects it was similar to the United States constitution. The main military movements of the Confederacy in these initial months of the war were the integration of Alexandria into Virginia which began the fighting, and the advancement of troops to secure the state of Jackson, which had not held a vote on secession and was nominally still a part of the Union.

Throughout March and April, not much fighting occurred on the borders of the United States and the Confederacy. There were a few minor advances on either side, such as the capture of Carthage, Missouri by a local pro-Confederate militia led by Claiborne Fox Jackson, but the majority of the fighting was smaller. However, on other fronts the war started quickly. Confederate troops massed and advanced into Jackson in an effort to capture the port at Pensacola before the Union could reach it and resupply the forts surrounding the bay.

The first major battle of the war was the main result of this campaign, the Siege of Pensacola. In mid March, Confederate general Braxton Bragg led 800 men to the outskirts of Pensacola. For three weeks, the siege of the city went on, with Confederate ships occasionally bombarding Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island. While the fort still stood, the city did not fare well. On April 2th, a regiment was sent to the other side of Santa Rosa island, and during a bombardment of Fort Pickens by supporting Confederate ships, the regiment attacked the fort and surprised the Union regiment. The Union force was defeated and the fort was taken[1]. After the fort was taken, Pensacola surrendered and the state of Jackson was officially admitted to the Confederacy on April 11th.

Opening Moves:
The summer of 1862 saw many developments in the war. In May, a diplomatic expedition led by Judah P. Benjamin to Veracruz brought the city into the Confederacy. Veracruz gave the Confederates another naval base in the Gulf of Mexico. This, along with the secession of Cuba in August, would put down all plans by the United States to trap the Confederate States through a naval blockade.

Also in the early months of the war, various shadow governments were set up either in the disputed regions or in a nearby city. In southern Missouri, Claiborne Jackson set up a Confederate shadow government based in Neosho. The Confederates also had sympathy in western Tennessee and Kentucky west of the Tennessee River, and a government was declared in Memphis claiming the area as its jurisdiction. A vote was held in towns cities over whether to secede after the other two governments stayed with the Union but few towns ever issued proclamations of secession. The Union also had a number of shadow governments sympathetic to them. The most notable are the Wheeling Legislature in what was then western Virginia and exiles from Jackson, who set up a base in Corpus Christi.

That summer also saw the beginning of battle in many theaters. The Confederacy attacked important border towns such as Kansas City and Memphis. An uprising by Confederate sympathizers was put down in the small town of Dallas in northeastern Houston. But the main fighting during the summer was the Tennessee Valley campaign launched by the Army of Georgia in July 1862. The first main battle of the campaign was the taking of Chattanooga. The Army of Georgia divided into two groups and positioned them on Lookout Mountain and Moccasin Point in the west and along the Missionary Range in the east. After the artillery regiment led by John Pemberton[2] bombarded the Union works, the army advanced on the city from both sides. The Confederacy won the battle with upwards of 600 casualties, and gave the army an auspicious beginning to the campaign. Over the next week, the Army of Georgia trekked north along the Tennessee River aimed for Knoxville. They reached as far as Fort Loudoun before being rebuked and having to turn back. Despite this defeat, however, the capture of Chattanooga and Cleveland secured a vital rail link for future campaigns in Tennessee.

The final event of the summer of 1862 was the Chesapeake Offensive and the First Potomac Offensive by the Union Army. The Chesapeake Offensive secured the portion of the Delmarva Peninsula in Virginia. The First Potomac Offensive attempted to reach Richmond with the thought that Virginia could be taken out of the war with a quick capture of the capital. General McClellan's plan was for the army to sail to Fort Monroe which was still Union-controlled and drive up the peninsula between the James and York rivers to Richmond, bypassing much of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia's defenses. The Army of the Potomac was sent to Fort Monroe and began operations on July 4th. While McClellan did have some early success in the campaign, the majority of the Army of Northern Virginia led by Joseph Johnston were at Bowling Green, not further northward as expected. After a month, the forces under McClellan had established a line at the eastern bank of the Chickahominy River. This would be as far as the campaign would reach, as within two weeks later Johnston had forced the Army of the Potomac back to a line following Queen Creek and College Creek near Williamsburg.

With the campaign on the Virginia Peninsula stalled, McClelland launched one last summer offensive in mid-August. A few brigades of the Army of the Potomac landed at Currioman's Landing on the Virginia Neck with the intent of moving west to cut Fredericksburg off from the rest of Virginia. The brigades managed to secure the area but did not advance very far before they were stalled by Confederate forces on the north bank of the Rappahannock River. Whille the Union soldiers won the short battle, they could not continue the offensive. By the end of August, however, the Army of the Potomac had gotten control of much of eastern Westmoreland County including the county seat of Montross. This had a larger than expected effect on the proceedings of the war, because not only did this victory assist with Union control of the Potomac, but the news of it also caused former Chief Engineer Robert E. Lee to decide to stay loyal to hte United States. In explaining his decision, Lee commented that "with my boyhood home and my greatest ahievement under the control of the United States of America, I will protect the things most important to me and remain loyal to this government"[3]. By now Lee had become a popular figure in Virginia, and influenced the popular opinion of the war and the Confederate cause. Lee's decision also encouraged Union loyalist movements in the far western and northern portions of Virginia.

[1] This battle is loosely based on the Battle of Santa Rosa Island which took place in OTL in October of 1861. Except this time, the CSA had the naval advantage and won.
[2] Yes, this is the John Pemberton who invented Coca-Cola in OTL.
[3] Lee lived at the Stratford Hill Plantation on the Potomac north of Montross until he was eleven, and ITTL he designed and oversaw the construction of Fort Monroe, which is how he quickly rose in his army engineering career.

Last edited:
While I have enjoyed reading your timeline, and absolutely loved the fact that you made my screen name the President of the country, I was really hoping you were going to go a different direction than have the seceding states and the Union actually fight a civil war. I really admire anyone who puts so much thought, time, and effort into a detailed timeline, and I certainly have yet to produce anything resembling such a feat, but I really didn't see the build up of tensions between the slave and free states that would lead to a war. In our time line we had a great build up of tensions, especially following the Compromise of 1850, the fugitive slave act, the Dred Scott decision, the fighting in Kansas, etc., that galvanized both sides to the point that each side believed that war was inevitable. Maybe I haven't read your TL closely enough, but I just didn't see any such tension building.

Anyway, sorry to make a negative post, and keep it coming. Despite my mild disappointment I will still be following your prose.

While I have enjoyed reading your timeline, and absolutely loved the fact that you made my screen name the President of the country, I was really hoping you were going to go a different direction than have the seceding states and the Union actually fight a civil war. I really admire anyone who puts so much thought, time, and effort into a detailed timeline, and I certainly have yet to produce anything resembling such a feat, but I really didn't see the build up of tensions between the slave and free states that would lead to a war. In our time line we had a great build up of tensions, especially following the Compromise of 1850, the fugitive slave act, the Dred Scott decision, the fighting in Kansas, etc., that galvanized both sides to the point that each side believed that war was inevitable. Maybe I haven't read your TL closely enough, but I just didn't see any such tension building.

Anyway, sorry to make a negative post, and keep it coming. Despite my mild disappointment I will still be following your prose.
Criticism is perfectly fine, it helps tell me what I need to improve with my writing and what you the readers want. :)

I do think I haven't really done enough to outline the causes of the war. Right now I'm thinking that instead of a gradual buildup of tensions with clear events showing the buildup a la OTL, there was more of a base, underlying tension between the north and the south that suddenly boiled up and over in the events after Houston's death. Things like the growing disparity in industry and population between the north and the south, economic fluctuations hurting the southern states (maybe a dip in the price of cotton and other agricultural goods coupled with a bit of a recession in the early 1860s?), things like that.

Criticism is perfectly fine, it helps tell me what I need to improve with my writing and what you the readers want. :)

I do think I haven't really done enough to outline the causes of the war. Right now I'm thinking that instead of a gradual buildup of tensions with clear events showing the buildup a la OTL, there was more of a base, underlying tension between the north and the south that suddenly boiled up and over in the events after Houston's death. Things like the growing disparity in industry and population between the north and the south, economic fluctuations hurting the southern states (maybe a dip in the price of cotton and other agricultural goods coupled with a bit of a recession in the early 1860s?), things like that.

I am under the impression that this war or rather the events leading to the war were somewhat more chaotic than OTL. As you said Houston was doing a good job keeping the union together but his sparked old and new tensions during the crisis.
Someone from this TTL would probably believe that without Houston being assassinated or that without a constitutional crisis of equal measure that the war between the states would have never been triggered.

The "first President of the Confederate States of America"... Foreshadowing? :rolleyes:

Ooh nice did not notice that. TTL never seemed like on in which the CSA would win. I am hoping it's not so I'm looking forward for what's coming.

Keep up the good work wilcox!

The "first President of the Confederate States of America"

Well as he stated, the CSA's presidential term is 2 years, implying the war lasts longer then two years and Cobb probably loses to some other candidate (or resigns, or is killed, etc.). I severely doubt this is a CSA wins TL, but who knows what Wilcoxchar has up his sleeve:).

The "first President of the Confederate States of America"... Foreshadowing? :rolleyes:
Aha! Someone caught that. :D

I am under the impression that this war or rather the events leading to the war were somewhat more chaotic than OTL. As you said Houston was doing a good job keeping the union together but his sparked old and new tensions during the crisis.
Someone from this TTL would probably believe that without Houston being assassinated or that without a constitutional crisis of equal measure that the war between the states would have never been triggered.
Yeah, this war, at least the start of it, is more chaotic than in OTL. And I probably would say that without Houston's untimely death, the war would have been at least delayed until more visible tensions arose, if not averted completely.

Ooh nice did not notice that. TTL never seemed like on in which the CSA would win. I am hoping it's not so I'm looking forward for what's coming.

Keep up the good work wilcox!
Well as he stated, the CSA's presidential term is 2 years, implying the war lasts longer then two years and Cobb probably loses to some other candidate (or resigns, or is killed, etc.). I severely doubt this is a CSA wins TL, but who knows what Wilcoxchar has up his sleeve:).
I know I'm eager to see where this goes, either way!
Thanks to all of you for continuing to follow this. As for the circumstances of the CSA getting its second president and who it will be, who knows? ;)

Added another section to the latest update. That will actually probably be the remainder of that update, as it ended up longer that I thought it would be and I'm eager to get some images up. :cool:

Very interesting Wilcox!! Loving the war so far and I like how you've hinted at the creation of a northwest virginia under Lee and a rump missouri and western kentucky. Kinda hoping Lee will become President of the Union later on. That would be real AH.
If you have several regions pull a west virginia or an anti-west virginia, it would only make this TL much more amazing than it already is.

Really looking forward to how the naval theater is going to look like.

Some images would be nice though.

Keep it up!

Lee and a rump missouri and western kentucky. Kinda hoping Lee will become President of the Union later on. That would be real AH.

A definite like, especially for the Irony.:D

If you have several regions pull a west virginia or an anti-west virginia, it would only make this TL much more amazing than it already is!

I especially like this. I think this timeline should have three "West Virginias," just to keep things interesting. As for names, here's my personal favorites:

Unionist Virginia: Vandalia (After the British Colony that never was.)

South Missouri: Ozark (Since the Ozark Plateau essentially dominates the entire region) or Salem (Which is the region of the Ozark Plateau that dominates South Missouri the most)

West Tennesse/Chunk of Kentucky should become the state of Transylvania (After the historical Colony in Central Kentucky.)

Naturally, Ozark/Salem and Transylvania will start off as military districts at first, but I'm sure they would become awesome states.

Also, what will TTL's version of Coca-Cola be like?;)

Last edited:
Very interesting Wilcox!! Loving the war so far and I like how you've hinted at the creation of a northwest virginia under Lee and a rump missouri and western kentucky. Kinda hoping Lee will become President of the Union later on. That would be real AH.
If you have several regions pull a west virginia or an anti-west virginia, it would only make this TL much more amazing than it already is.

Really looking forward to how the naval theater is going to look like.

Some images would be nice though.

Keep it up!
Thanks, I was wondering if my tactical ideas for battles and campaigns were good, not very sure about it. :p I'll try to get some images ready soon.

I especially like this. I think this timeline should have three "West Virginias," just to keep things interesting. As for names, here's my personal favorites:

Unionist Virginia: Vandalia (After the British Colony that never was.)

South Missouri: Ozark (Since the Ozark Plateau essentially dominates the entire region) or Salem (Which is the region of the Ozark Plateau that dominates South Missouri the most)

West Tennesse/Chunk of Kentucky should become the state of Transylvania (After the historical Colony in Central Kentucky.)

Naturally, Ozark/Salem and Transylvania will start off as military districts at first, but I'm sure they would become awesome states.

Also, what will TTL's version of Coca-Cola be like?;)
I was thinking of Vandalia and Ozark, but was having trouble with a name for the Kentucky/Tennessee one. First thought was Jackson since it's the area of the Jackson Purchase but since I already have a state of Jackson in the CSA, can't really use it there.

And I see no reason why any drink made with coca leaves and kola nuts should not be called Coca-Cola, so there will probably be a Coca-Cola in this timeline. However it will be very unlikely that it will resemble ours in any other respects. ;)

well eastern Tennesse tried to secede in OTL, which in TTl is President Johnsons' hometurf, which could be interesting....
Yeah, Tennessee is going to be a big battleground ITTL both because of its position between the two sides and because of it being Johnson's home state.

Also, I've been hesitant to call it the Civil War in the updates because I'm not sure if it would be called that given the different circumstances. Any suggestions as to a name?

Also, I've been hesitant to call it the Civil War in the updates because I'm not sure if it would be called that given the different circumstances. Any suggestions as to a name?

For a wordy name, how about The War Regarding the Untimely Death of President Sam Houston
or
The War for Unity
or
The War of Northern Vengeance/Revenge

I was thinking of Vandalia and Ozark.

I always had a feeling that I liked the way you think.;) Still, you should keeps these names...I mean couldn't you just Imagine Vandalia State vs. Ozark Tech in Football?:D

but was having trouble with a name for the Kentucky/Tennessee one. First thought was Jackson since it's the area of the Jackson Purchase but since I already have a state of Jackson in the CSA, can't really use it there.

Okay, I did some research on the purchase and have come up with a solution to solve this issue.

New Name: Chickasaw- This seems to be the most logical name for a number of reasons.

First of all, these were the people Jackson bought the land from, and Americans have been naming counties/states after native americans since the nations birth. For example, you do have the OTL support of the two Dakotas.

Besides, one could also assume from you previous posts that there are still Chickasaw living in the area, who would most likely support the name Chickasaw.

Finally, you can use this as an excuse to have the people of Chickasaw state form a silly rivalry with Arkansaw due to their similar sounding names.:D

And I see no reason why any drink made with coca leaves and kola nuts should not be called Coca-Cola, so there will probably be a Coca-Cola in this timeline. However it will be very unlikely that it will resemble ours in any other respects. ;)

Ehh, as long as Coca-Cola stays in Atlanta and becomes a symbol of American Cultural Imperialism, then I'll be fine.;)

Edit: And Congrats on reaching 30,00 views!!

Ehh, as long as Coca-Cola stays in Atlanta and becomes a symbol of American Cultural Imperialism, then I'll be fine.;)

Coca-Cola is not asymbol of American Imperialism! It is one of internationalism and world unity!!

I'll tell you what is a symbol of American Imperialism, the shear about of KFC's you can find in the Czech Republic. Its ridiculous!!!

For a wordy name, how about The War Regarding the Untimely Death of President Sam Houston
or
The War for Unity
or
The War of Northern Vengeance/Revenge
Those look good, although The War of Unity seems a little bland. :p I like The War of Northern Vengeance though for what the South will call it.

I always had a feeling that I liked the way you think.;) Still, you should keeps these names...I mean couldn't you just Imagine Vandalia State vs. Ozark Tech in Football?:D

Okay, I did some research on the purchase and have come up with a solution to solve this issue.

New Name: Chickasaw- This seems to be the most logical name for a number of reasons.

First of all, these were the people Jackson bought the land from, and Americans have been naming counties/states after native americans since the nations birth. For example, you do have the OTL support of the two Dakotas.

Besides, one could also assume from you previous posts that there are still Chickasaw living in the area, who would most likely support the name Chickasaw.

Finally, you can use this as an excuse to have the people of Chickasaw state form a silly rivalry with Arkansaw due to their similar sounding names.:D
Chicakasaw sounds good. I had it as an idea for the name but wasn't sure the CSA would name it after a native tribe, but the divergences that have already happened in the TL will probably allow for it.

Edit: And Congrats on reaching 30,00 views!!
Where else would Coca-Cola be headquartered. ;) And since I wrote a paper a few years ago on the comparison between Coca-Cola and the United States, you can bet that it'll be a symbol of America and whatever it stands for. :D

And thanks on the congrats. Was going to mention it, but decided not to.

Coca-Cola is not asymbol of American Imperialism! It is one of internationalism and world unity!!

I'll tell you what is a symbol of American Imperialism, the shear about of KFC's you can find in the Czech Republic. Its ridiculous!!!
Well, in OTL Coca-Cola has been generally seen as a symbol of American values, whether that be capitalism, unity, internationalism, or crushing your faces under our well-weathered boot. Hooray, America! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.