Union and Liberty: An American TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happens in Tejas from the time athat it signed its DOI in Dec of 1835 and the Mexican re-capture of San Antonio in 1837? Plus, was there a siege and battle of the Alamo as part of the Mexican recapture of San Antonio? Though it was a battle the Texans lost in OTL, it is still the most iconic symbol of Texan independence.

One other thing, once the US had successfully helped Texas and the other rebellious areas of Mexico succeed in winning their independence, wouldn't there be a move throughout the South especially to annex Texas and maybe other newly independent republics? As such I see Tejas statehood coming by 1841 maybe?

Nichomacheus said:
Wow, look at all those butterflies...an expanded Netherlands, a successful Piratani Republic...powerful little buggers.

Lord Grattan said:
Legions of butterflies; beautiful!
Yep, those butterflies are already hard at it. I try to keep the butterflies to a reasonable spread while keeping things interesting.

demonkangaroo said:
Despite Toledo, I'm really liking your Timeline!
Thanks! It's great to see all the comments and support.

President Sam Houston said:
So happens in Tejas from the time athat it signed its DOI in Dec of 1835 and the Mexican re-capture of San Antonio in 1837? Plus, was there a siege and battle of the Alamo as part of the Mexican recapture of San Antonio? Though it was a battle the Texans lost in OTL, it is still the most iconic symbol of Texan independence.

One other thing, once the US had successfully helped Texas and the other rebellious areas of Mexico succeed in winning their independence, wouldn't there be a move throughout the South especially to annex Texas and maybe other newly independent republics? As such I see Tejas statehood coming by 1841 maybe?
There was a battle at the Alamo during the capture of San Antonio, but as it was not overall important in the United State part in the collapse of Mexico, it was not mentioned. It is still a proud event for Texians. As for the future of Tejas, I'll give you this; it will not be a state by 1841. ;)

Keep this up! Alternate Divisions of America are always nice.

Still, while I most likely missed the info, what is the current situation with Maine and the Oregon Country?

In 1839, van Buren was appointed ambassador to the Netherlands, where he played a small part in the negotiations leading to the independence of Belgium and helping the Netherlands retain all of Limburg and Luxembourg, as well as Liege to keep the country contiguous. In exchange, Belgium received the Dutch possessions on the island of Borneo, which at the time were losing money and that the Dutch consdiered a bad investment.

That is a big change from OTL and very bad blow for the Belgians. Liege and Belgian Limburg was where most of the coal deposits where in Belgium and these coal deposits was the major reason of belgiums wealth and industrialization during the 19th century. It wouldn't surprise me if this leads to a failed belgium as the French speaking Belgians still rule the country, but there are a lot less of them now than OTL (as Liege and Luxembourg id now Dutch) and they don't have the wealth to back it up. Maybe after a Flemish revolt the country splits and is absorbed by France and the Netherlands (although that is a bit of a cliche in Alternate history).

Also for the Netherlands the coal deposits could and probably would lead to an earlier industrialization, which would make the Netherlands no longer one of the least developed countries in western Europe (there used to be a French saying, if the world is going to end I want to be in the Netherlands, every thing happens 50 years later there). Also Luxembourg, since it is conected to the Netherlands maybe it will be absorbed into the Netherlands now, instead of being a country in personal union with it.

Valdemar II

Banned
That is a big change from OTL and very bad blow for the Belgians. Liege and Belgian Limburg was where most of the coal deposits where in Belgium and these coal deposits was the major reason of belgiums wealth and industrialization during the 19th century. It wouldn't surprise me if this leads to a failed belgium as the French speaking Belgians still rule the country, but there are a lot less of them now than OTL (as Liege and Luxembourg id now Dutch) and they don't have the wealth to back it up. Maybe after a Flemish revolt the country splits and is absorbed by France and the Netherlands (although that is a bit of a cliche in Alternate history).

A more interesting butterfly could be if Belgium evolve into a Flemish dominated state, where Dutch becomes the language of the elite, of course that will create serious problem with France.

A more interesting butterfly could be if Belgium evolve into a Flemish dominated state, where Dutch becomes the language of the elite, of course that will create serious problem with France.

Possible, but unlikely, at least at first. The creation of Belgium was more or less a Francophone idea. It were the Francophone cities that rebelled first (including Brussels and Louvain who had a Francophone upper and middle class). I can even remember reading a report that the Dutch army couldn't rely on the Walloon troops anymore, just the Dutch, Flemish and Luxembourgish troops (but I don't know what the source was, so I can't confirm it).
Belgium, just after its independence was a Francophone nation. But I must admit that with a Flemish majority and a Francophone upper and middleclass, who do not have the wealth of OTL, some kind of trouble will arise. This could in theory lead to a Flemish nation, but only in the later 19th century or early 20th century. Other things could arise from it, maybe the Flemish revolt is brutally crushed and they ask for foreign support (Dutch or maybe German/Prussian), maybe it succeeds and the Walloon minority call in the help of France to surpress the rebels. Actually many interesting things can arise from this situation.

Part Six: The Whigs in Control
Here's the next part. I'll respond to your comments later after I finish classes for the day.

Part Six: The Whigs in Control

Competition with Clay:
Right from the start of Harrison's term, the President had difficulty with the Whig leader and renowned speaker, Henry Clay. Although Clay had a powerful influence in the senate, he tried to influence the executive actions of Harrison such as appointing his cabinet. Even though the Whig party platform promised to reduce the Jacksonian spoils systems of cabinet appointments, Clay wanted to appoint Whig members who to help his advancement in the party.

Harrison resisted Clay's pressures for the most part, but had to concede a few positions to keep Clay content and agreeable, for Clay was a very influential man in the confirmation process by the Senate. However, Harrison did manage to keep most of his appointments seemingly nonpolitical and based on merit, such as the nomination and confirmation of former president John Quincy Adams as Secretary of State. Thomas Ewing was made Secretary of the Treasury and Zachary Taylor, one of the main generals on the side of the United States in the Mexican Collapse, was appointed as Secretary of War.

The Third Bank of the United States:
As part of the Whig party platform, Harrison revived the Bank of the United States for the third time in the nation's history. However, to appease those senators and representatives who had supported Jackson in the closure of the bank, Harrison had the charter length reduced from the previous twenty years to a three year charter to ensure more Congressional oversight on the actions of the Bank. During the year of the charter's expiration, Congress would deliberate on whether to renew the charter or to let it expire. The Bank reopened in June of 1842 with Nicholas Biddle once again at its head.

The Bank helped the United States government recover from the debt it had incurred during the Mexican Collapse by offering loans to many new businesses that had sprung up. Along with the American System, the Third Bank helped spur the growth of railroads in the United States during the 1840s. The Bank also helped to standardize the currency used in the United States during this period, as notes from the bank were often used instead of notes from State Banks when making large purchases.

The American System:
The last large part of the Whig party platform that Harrison impelemented during his presidency was the idea of the American System. Harrison gradually impelemented this policy over the full length of his term. Despite the reluctance of the South, a high tariff was placed on many raw material as well as manufactured goods. However, to appease the south and the new neighbors in the west, the tariff was exempted for United States exports to Texas, California, Rio Bravo, and Yucatan. To support the expansion of American internal infrastructure, Harrison and the Transport Committee authorized a number of bills which financed the construction of railroads. These railroads were primarily in the north, and connected the shipping centers in New York and New England to the burgeoning cities on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. While a few railroads were constructed in the southern states, they did not see much rail growth aside from small state or private investments.

UnitedStatesofMars13 said:
Keep this up! Alternate Divisions of America are always nice.

Still, while I most likely missed the info, what is the current situation with Maine and the Oregon Country?
Maine and the Oregon Country are still disputed, they'll be dealt with soon.

On the Low Countries; thank you pompejus and Valdemar for your insight on the effects this will have on the region. I will certainly take what you said into consideration the next time I bring the region up.

Part Seven: A Growing Nation
While I don't have a picture for you this update, I do have...a new update. :D

Part Seven: A Growing Nation

Iowa Purchase:
Up until 1841, the border of the state of Missouri had been a straight north-south line. The area between that border and the Missouri River in the west had been granted to the Iowa tribe. After encroachments by white settlers, the Bureau of Indian Affairs began negotiations with the Iowa and other tribes who lived on the land. The government eventually bought the land for eight thousand dollars and the natives agreed to move to lands west of the Missouri River. The purchased land, known as the Ioaw Purchase, became part of the state of Missouri, finalizing the state's current borders.

Admission of new States:
In March of 1842, the census from Marquette Territory had reached 75,000 people, and a bill was passed to have it admitted as a new state. Green Bay became the state's capital because of its central location within the state and its having been the territorial capital.

After the admission of Marquette, some Southern states began to complain about the large numebr of northern states that were being admitted to the Union. They lobbied in Congress for the admission of Florida as a state, despite the continued presence of Seminoles in the rural swamp areas of the territory. In May, 1843, a bill was finally passed to admit the state after a number of settlers, encouraged by their state governments, move down into Florida and settled either on the coasts or in the northern reaches of the territory. The city of Jacksonville was declared the capital until the problem of the Seminoles was dealt with, then a new state Congressional meeting would decide whether to stay in Jacksonville or move to a different city further south.

A few months later in August, the settlers in the southern area of Pembina Territory applied for statehood. Congress passed the bill, and the new state of Demoine was established with the city of Waterloo as its capital due to its cental location, rather than the larger but far more northern city of Minneapolis. Later in the year, two forts would be established in the state; Fort Raccoon near the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers, and Fort Decatur, near where the two forks of the Des Moines River join together.

Oregon Trail:
After the original explorations by Lewis and Clark, and the later expeditions by explorers and military men such as John Jacob Astor, Zebulon Pike, and Benjamin Bonneville, many settlers traversed the American West toward the Oregon Territory. Many of these first wave of settlers were descendants of Frenchmen in Upper Louisiana who desired better fur trapping grounds further west. However, this wave was not very large and many of the settlers were subject to attacks by the native tribes. In the 1840s, a second wave of settlers began coming west, following the paths set before them. While only a few made it all the way to the Pacific and the Columbia River, many others settled towns along the trail, along the Platte River as well as along the Snake River.

A Multicultural Nation:
Since 1820, when immigration records began being kept in the United States, there had been a wide influx of immigrants from many places in northern Europe. During the 1830s, that number only increased with over six hundred thousand coming to the United States in that decade. The 1840s only brought more people as Europe went through hardships. Irishmen came after crops started failing and settled mostly in New England. Englishmen and Scotsmen, many among them refugees fleeing the British Isles after the Chartist Uprisings, either went to Canada or settled all among the eastern and southern states. German immigrants in the 1840s, fleeing general hardship, settled in independent Tejas, as well as along the upper Mississippi, the Great Lakes, and along the Missouri as it approached the Mississippi. Dutchmen, upset by the strife cause by the Belgian Revolution and a heavy storm that battered the Low Countries in January of 1843, came and settled not only in the Hudson Valley, where the remnants of New Netherland still remained, but also in New Orleans and the lowlands along the lower Mississippi and Arkansaw rivers. Many of these immigration patterns would leave their mark in the town names that are in those regions today.

Just wondering, will the Americans be looking at settlement and possible annexation of certain parts of Rupert's Land? Not very certain it's possible, but a novel idea nonetheless if they're going for all of Oregon.

Just wondering, will the Americans be looking at settlement and possible annexation of certain parts of Rupert's Land? Not very certain it's possible, but a novel idea nonetheless if they're going for all of Oregon.

Reading this TL correctly, I would think the answer is no. Short of a war of course.

Unlike the Oregon territory, which was kind of a legal quagmire, Rupert's land was recognised as British. This was established in the 1818 border treaty, which established the 49th to the rockies, and which also gave joint ownership of Oregon.

Convention of 1818

Yep, I'm back! My updates are going to get a bit less frequent because of school though.

And the US will go for all of Oregon. ;)

The British already have a claim on the region, and the British had a number of bases already further north.

Not to put down the timeline, but the USA getting all of Oregon when the British are already established has always been one of those cliches that bug the hell out of me.

Some reasons why -Precedent: The British and the Americans already had the treaty of 1818 (as mentioned earlier) and this was found to be rather favourable to both sides for its simplicity. The real contention between the two was that Britain wanted the also easy border of the Columbia river, while the Americans wanted the 49th line to include the Southern tip of Vancouver Island.

Geo Politics: The British simply didn't want the Americans to have it all. The area was valuable both strategically and economically to both Britain and the Hudson's bay company. This was simply because as the HBC trapped out Rupert's land, they were forced to move further west into the Columbia Department (the British term for the Oregon territory). It was for this reason that the British established bases on Vancouver Island, and down the Columbia river.

Settlement patterns: Another reason that the 49th became the border was how the area was settled by who. Due to the 1818 treaty, Americans naturally settled in the southern area via the Oregon trail, meanwhile British power was naturally based around the area nearer to the 49th because thats how there officials, settlers, and troops arrived. That and Vancouver Island.

Finally, there was some understanding as during the years after the treaty that Britain controlled the northern portion, and the Americans the southern. These feelings were already becoming entrenched at around the time of your POD.

Good timeline, and I hope to see more.:cool:

Reading this TL correctly, I would think the answer is no. Short of a war of course.

Unlike the Oregon territory, which was kind of a legal quagmire, Rupert's land was recognised as British. This was established in the 1818 border treaty, which established the 49th to the rockies, and which also gave joint ownership of Oregon.

Convention of 1818

Ah, I thought so (I remembered that convention after posting) but Rupert's Land was privately owned by the HBC if memory serves. I suppose the United States can purchase some of it but I think that's highly unlikely.

Ah, I thought so (I remembered that convention after posting) but Rupert's Land was privately owned by the HBC if memory serves. I suppose the United States can purchase some of it but I think that's highly unlikely.

It was privately owned under the auspices of the British Government. It was like the East India Company. No country could buy that because Britain would never allow that. Ditto for the Hudson's bay company.

The area was also British for two other reasons. One, Britain granted the land to the Company, so it was more of a lease than anything else, and like the East India Company, a good portion of the shares were owned by the British government.

There is also the thoughts on the security of Canada. Losing the North West Territories would put Canada in jeopardy, and that same reasoning was applied to the northern bit of the Oregon territory in relation to the North West.

not sure about that Repubic of California -- weren't there only about 7000 Spanish and about the same number of Americans there in the 1830's,
Doesn't seem like enuff people to have a independent country

not sure about that Repubic of California -- weren't there only about 7000 Spanish and about the same number of Americans there in the 1830's,
Doesn't seem like enuff people to have a independent country
At this point, the Californian government is accepting Mexicans fleeing the civil strife there and pretty much any other immigrants they can get. The interior is pretty much unsettled at this point, but the coast is certainly under a vliable government.

And it's probably about as viable as an independent Louisiana would be during the Napoleonic era and look at how many of those there are. ;) Anyway, I might do a bit in the next couple updates about California. Next update shall come tomorrow, and it's about one thing! :D

Part Eight: The Election of 1844
And now, another update!

Part Eight: The Election of 1844

Election of 1844:
Both conventions of 1844 highlighted the troubles faced by both parties of thattime to unify a country that was growing ever more sectionalized. The Democats were looking to recover the Presidency after the loss to Harrison, while the Whigs still had internal disputes with the power-hungry Clay.

The Whigs were divided as to whether to renominate Harrison, the incumbent, or Clay, who had run previously and was an expert speaker. At the nomination, after five rounds of ballots, the votes were about half and half between Harrison and Clay. After four more rounds of ballots, Harrison got the nomination, but an embittered Clay never announced his support for Harrison. The nomination of Harrison would also end Henry Clay's congressionial career, for he had resigned his position in the senate during his run for the nomination.

The Democrats were also divided on their candidates, but their trouble was how to regain the executive office instead of a power struggle. The two major candidates for the nomination, former President Calhoun and New York governor Martin van Buren, were both from opposite ends of the country but neither would accept the Vice Preisdential seat. At the convention, the two remained at a deadlock after many rounds of ballots. Van Buren's insistance on immediate negotiation with Britain over the Oregon Country made him a pacifist in the eyes of the public, while Calhoun was seen as being too southern of a candidate and his failure to win reelection in 1840 had hurt his standing with the party. In addition to this, Lewis Cass, a Michigan senator, still had a few dozen votes that were blocking the supermajority necessary for either to get the nomination.

During a meeting between rounds of voting, discussion turned to a compromise candidate. After great deliberation, various Democrat party memebrs introduced the name of James K. Polk, speaker of the House and a representative from Tennessee. Talks with Polk began, and after his agreement to run for the nomination and Cass throwing his support behind Polk and solely running for Vice President, the momentum toward Polk had begun. After two more ballots, Polk had become the clear nominee and was nominated, with Cass as the Vice Presidential candidate.

The election itself was less intense as the two primaries, but it was still a hard-fought election. Polk laid out a clear platform for his campaign, that made four points. Polk's goals were to get some or all of the Oregon Country, bring Texas into the United States, get rid of the National Bank, and establish an independent treasury system that would separate the government funds and revenues from the national banking systems. Harrison tried to compete with Polk but found it difficult without Clay to support him on the campaign. Harrison could not claim that he was the western candidate because both he and Polk hailed from western states. Harrison attacked Polk that he was not baptized because his father was a deist, to which Polk responded that Thomas Jefferson and many of the founding fathers were also deists. Harrison also attacked Polk's relative obscurity within the political scene, but to no avail. In the election, Polk defeated Harrison and won the presidency, carrying much of the South and the key states of Virginia and Pennsylvania. Also, the Congressional elections of 1844 gave the Democrats a majority in the Senate.

Polk/Cass: 172
Harrison/Webster: 123

Status
Not open for further replies.