Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

Preliminary 1888 polling looks something like this, Liberals dominating New England. It’s assumed as of now that Adams outright will be the Liberal nominee which is why the border states are “tossups”

Democrats obviously have a hold on the failed states.

Republicans are looking good in the Midwest.

Dominica leans Republican.
Sequoyah leans Democratic, yes even over the Indian Party
Lincoln leans heavily towards the Freedmen.

THIS IS PRIOR TO THE NOMINATIONS, BASED ON PARTY STRENGTH ALONE THIS IS WHAT IS SEEN.

Also interesting to note: this is also a map of party influence. Purple States are generally Liberal locally, same with blue and red.

Only Ohio, which is depicted as safe Republican on the map is locally quite divided between Republicans and Liberals.

B2A7D89C-F34F-46FE-93A1-3514DDB2BF72.jpeg

Last edited:
Vignettes will be out in a second! I forgot to say who won the panhandle plebiscite

WHO SHOULD OWN THE PANHANDLE?

Texas: 40.2
Lincoln: 33.7
Kansas: 22.2
New Mexico Territory: 3.9

Mini Chapter: Guiteau, Garfield, Brown and Cleveland
"Christ sir!" The horse screeched and came to a complete halt launching the carriage rider forward. A disheveled bearded fellow hit the pavement.

"Have you lost your mind?!" The carriage driver hopped down and rushed to the man helping him up. He smelt like shit. Bug eyed and mean looking the carriage driver let go.

"Terribly sorry! I was trying to wave you down. Is it true that the President will be speaking at Adams Hall?" The driver looked at the man puzzled.

"That's what the papers say. Are you alright sir?" The man's face lit up.

"I'd very much like to see him, I have money," The man grabbed a few nickels from his pocket and handed them to the driver.

"Well, uh alright, hop on. Sorry about the horse she gets rowdy sometimes..." The two rode down the road towards Adams Hall in downtown Boston. The rugged man thanked the driver and apologized for the inconvenience before heading inside. He saw out the corner of his eye President Adams on stage with his brother Henry. Adams went to the front and began to speak. The man didn't pay too much attention to what was being said, but enthausically clapped anyways.

After the speech many people began to shuffle out, the man however rushed to the front where the President was shaking hands with the Bostonians. The man extended his hand rapidly.

"Mr. President!" Adams locked eyes with the man, he winced and looked to his guard uneasy.

"Ah, Mr. Guiteau, how... pleasant to see you here," Adams extended his hand.

"Sir, I have been doing much campaigning on your behalf in New York! I don't believe you saw my letters, but I'd again like to raise the consulate matter-"

"Thank you mr Guiteau, perhaps another time, I'll be sure to write back when I return to DC,"

"That's all I ask sir!" Charles Guiteau's face lit up as he turned and exited Adams Hall...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Governor!" Ben Harrison extended his arms and embraced Governor Garfield.

"How are you Ben? Take a seat please." Garfield gestured to the other chair in his living room.

"You as well Mr. Hayes. Would either of you gentlemen like a drink?" Hayes and Harrison smiled and nodded no.

"I'm sorry Governor, it's far too early for that. I'm getting a bit old for an afternoon drink," Hayes smiled and sat.

"James, Mr. Hayes has an offer..." Ben smiled at him and leaned back in the chair. Garfield moved to the fireplace and leaned against it.

"I first offered it to Mr. Harrison but he has assured me he is uninterested. Thus I can think of no stronger man than yourself. Governor, how would you like to be Vice President?" Garfield laughed.

"I'm sorry Mr. Hayes, I have no interest in mounting a campaign this year-"

"No, Governor. I'm not asking if you would like to be the Vice Presidential nominee... I'm asking if you would like to be the Vice President," Garfield looked puzzled.

"James, President Adams sent a letter to me two days ago. He said he planned to nominate me for the position of Vice President. I declined and told him that you would be a better choice. You are more inclined to civil service reform after all..."

"President Adams seeks to continue the coalition, he understands that he will be a lame duck without Republican support and his New England liberalism is a massive hinderance on that front. He seeks goodwill with the Repubican Party and Ohioans." Garfield stopped leaning and stepped forward.

"My friends, I have a duty to Ohio-" Harrison interrupted him.

"Don't be shy James. If you don't accept than Mr. Adams will choose some eastern Republican. I'm sure he has Stalwart big whig offers ready to fire," Hayes looked determined and gestured to the room.

"This is our chance to gain quite a bit of midwestern strength in DC, take the damn deal Governor..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ahem. Honorable members of the Sequoyah assembly! I present to you, Governor John Brown of the Seminole Tribe!" The hall clapped as the Governor entered the room and stepped to the front podium.

"Thank you Mr. Speaker!" Brown watched as they clapped. He scanned the crowd, mostly white men, Democrats. Few natives, assemblymen of the seminole on the far side of the hall. There, in the very back on opposite sides of the gallerys, a group of white suited aristocrats on one side, a group of black suited aristocrats on the other...

Just like the political cartoons, Standard Oil and Black Gold standing over me from opposite sides of the hall.

"Honorable and esteemed delegates of this great new State! I stand before you today, as Sequoyah's very first elected Governor!" the Hall clapped.

"My friends, this state was a gift from the federal government! A safe haven for those who call this landmass their ancestral home! At the same time, it is also a place of unity one where the white man and the indian can live in peace!

However, I am afraid that malicious forces already lurk, in our very midst. Some of these forces are in this very room. Sequoyah is a beautiful land, it is also blessed by god to be the holder of much of our nation's black gold..." He looked to the Black Gold representatives in the benches.

"I hope to see our great state become prosperous, unified and not taken advantage of. My people have been taken advantage of for far too long! To those malicious forces I say this, consider there to be a third opponent in your so called 'Oil War'. THE STATE OF SEQUOYAH!" A standing ovation is seen from the natives and Democrats. Liberals and Republicans stay seated, some politely clap. From the back Brown once again locks eyes with those tycoons. He sees their anger being held in. He can't help but smile. It soon fades. He looks with determination.

"Now, this won't be easy..."

"Let Mr. Custer in Charles." the aid nodded to Governor Cleveland.

"Of course Governor," Charles heads out of the office. He is gone for sometime. Grover Cleveland is soon puzzled and stands up. Placing a pen down he strolls towards the door and as he reaches for the handle it swings open with ferocity. Thomas Custer barges in and next to him is... a woman?

"Elizabeth Custer Governor, a honor," She curtsied and took his hand.

"Thomas, I though your brother would be joining us," Thomas Custer turned.

"No, I said an envoy of George would come. This is his wife, will that do?" Cleveland looked puzzled.

"Mrs. Custer, it's a pleasure. Thomas are you sure? This a manly topic..." Elizabeth stared right into Grover's soul.

"I assure you Governor, I can handle such a topic," Her demeanor changed and Cleveland stepped back.

"Of course miss. Please take a seat," Cleveland strolled around his desk as Thomas threw the morning paper on the table.

"James Garfield? I thought Mr. Adams was a liberal! Not a bootlicking son of a-"

"Please! Mr. Custer manners," he smiled at his Elizabeth who did not reciprocate the gesture.

"I may not agree, but he had reasons to appease the Republicans. It's not like the LNC will nominate Garfield as the Vice Presidential nominee..."

"I tire of this Cleveland! Run against Adams, you have Bourbon support-" Elizabeth looked at Thomas who went silent.

"Quiet Thomas. Mr. Cleveland excuse my brother in law. I don't believe you should run for President-"

"Neither do I, I plan to keep a career intact and go for the Vice Presidential spot," Elizabeth smiled.

"I was afraid you might say that Governor... You see my husband intends to run for Vice President at the convention and he certainly has no intention of making an enemy such as yourself..." Cleveland raised his hand.

"Excuse me madam, I have the utmost respect for George, but he's only 45. You're younger miss. I propose an allia-"

"No thank you Governor, I'm afraid Thomas and I shall be going then," she was cold. Cleveland's eyes widened.

"We've barely begun to talk miss, have I offended you?"

"My brother is not inclined to being a puppet Mr. Cleveland," Thomas spoke up again as he stood.

"If you want an alliance with us then run against Adams and endorse George as your running mate," again Libbie grabbed Thomas.

"Thomas! Stop that! Mr. Cleveland do not run for President, do not run for Vice President, if you would like an alliance, support my husband in all manners and I can assure plenty of award," Cleveland's joviality died.

"That's enough! I won't be a puppet to your boy either! Get the hell out of here!" The two left calmly and Cleveland returned to his seat.

"What in the god damn..."

-
Conventions to start soon...

Last edited:
Thes
"Christ sir!" The horse screeched and came to a complete halt launching the carriage rider forward. A disheveled bearded fellow hit the pavement.

"Have you lost your mind?!" The carriage driver hopped down and rushed to the man helping him up. He smelt like shit. Bug eyed and mean looking the carriage driver let go.

"Terribly sorry! I was trying to wave you down. Is it true that the President will be speaking at Adams Hall?" The driver looked at the man puzzled.

"That's what the papers say. Are you alright sir?" The man's face lit up.

"I'd very much like to see him, I have money," The man grabbed a few nickels from his pocket and handed them to the driver.

"Well, uh alright, hop on. Sorry about the horse she gets rowdy sometimes..." The two rode down the road towards Adams Hall in downtown Boston. The rugged man thanked the driver and apologized for the inconvenience before heading inside. He saw out the corner of his eye President Adams on stage with his brother Henry. Adams went to the front and began to speak. The man didn't pay too much attention to what was being said, but enthausically clapped anyways.

After the speech many people began to shuffle out, the man however rushed to the front where the President was shaking hands with the Bostonians. The man extended his hand rapidly.

"Mr. President!" Adams locked eyes with the man, he winced and looked to his guard uneasy.

"Ah, Mr. Guiteau, how... pleasant to see you here," Adams extended his hand.

"Sir, I have been doing much campaigning on your behalf in New York! I don't believe you saw my letters, but I'd again like to raise the consulate matter-"

"Thank you mr Guiteau, perhaps another time, I'll be sure to write back when I return to DC,"

"That's all I ask sir!" Charles Guiteau's face lit up as he turned and exited Adams Hall...

"Governor!" Ben Harrison extended his arms and embraced Governor Garfield.

"How are you Ben? Take a seat please." Garfield gestured to the other chair in his living room.

"You as well Mr. Hayes. Would either of you gentlemen like a drink?" Hayes and Harrison smiled and nodded no.

"I'm sorry Governor, it's far too early for that. I'm getting a bit old for an afternoon drink," Hayes smiled and sat.

"James, Mr. Hayes has an offer..." Ben smiled at him and leaned back in the chair. Garfield moved to the fireplace and leaned against it.

"I first offered it to Mr. Harrison but he has assured me he is uninterested. Thus I can think of no stronger man than yourself. Governor, how would you like to be Vice President?" Garfield laughed.

"I'm sorry Mr. Hayes, I have no interest in mounting a campaign this year-"

"No, Governor. I'm not asking if you would like to be the Vice Presidential nominee... I'm asking if you would like to be the Vice President," Garfield looked puzzled.

"James, President Adams sent a letter to me two days ago. He said he planned to nominate me for the position of Vice President. I declined and told him that you would be a better choice. You are more inclined to civil service reform after all..."

"President Adams seeks to continue the coalition, he understands that he will be a lame duck without Republican support and his New England liberalism is a massive hinderance on that front. He seeks goodwill with the Repubican Party and Ohioans." Garfield stopped leaning and stepped forward.

"My friends, I have a duty to Ohio-" Harrison interrupted him.

"Don't be shy James. If you don't accept than Mr. Adams will choose some eastern Republican. I'm sure he has Stalwart big whig offers ready to fire," Hayes looked determined and gestured to the room.

"This is our chance to gain quite a bit of midwestern strength in DC, take the damn deal Governor..."

"Ahem. Honorable members of the Sequoyah assembly! I present to you, Governor John Brown of the Seminole Tribe!" The hall clapped as the Governor entered the room and stepped to the front podium.

"Thank you Mr. Speaker!" Brown watched as they clapped. He scanned the crowd, mostly white men, Democrats. Few natives, assemblymen of the seminole on the far side of the hall. There, in the very back on opposite sides of the gallerys, a group of white suited aristocrats on one side, a group of black suited aristocrats on the other...

Just like the political cartoons, Standard Oil and Black Gold standing over me from opposite sides of the hall.

"Honorable and esteemed delegates of this great new State! I stand before you today, as Sequoyah's very first elected Governor!" the Hall clapped.

"My friends, this state was a gift from the federal government! A safe haven for those who call this landmass their ancestral home! At the same time, it is also a place of unity one where the white man and the indian can live in peace!

However, I am afraid that malicious forces already lurk, in our very midst. Some of these forces are in this very room. Sequoyah is a beautiful land, it is also blessed by god to be the holder of much of our nation's black gold..." He looked to the Black Gold representatives in the benches.

"I hope to see our great state become prosperous, unified and not taken advantage of. My people have been taken advantage of for far too long! To those malicious forces I say this, consider there to be a third opponent in your so called 'Oil War'. THE STATE OF SEQUOYAH!" A standing ovation is seen from the natives and Democrats. Liberals and Republicans stay seated, some politely clap. From the back Brown once again locks eyes with those tycoons. He sees their anger being held in. He can't help but smile. It soon fades. He looks with determination.

"Now, this won't be easy..."

"Let Mr. Custer in Charles." the aid nodded to Governor Cleveland.

"Of course Governor," Charles heads out of the office. He is gone for sometime. Grover Cleveland is soon puzzled and stands up. Placing a pen down he strolls towards the door and as he reaches for the handle it swings open with ferocity. Thomas Custer barges in and next to him is... a woman?

"Elizabeth Custer Governor, a honor," She curtsied and took his hand.

"Thomas, I though your brother would be joining us," Thomas Custer turned.

"No, I said an envoy of George would come. This is his wife, will that do?" Cleveland looked puzzled.

"Mrs. Custer, it's a pleasure. Thomas are you sure? This a manly topic..." Elizabeth stared right into Grover's soul.

"I assure you Governor, I can handle such a topic," Her demeanor changed and Cleveland stepped back.

"Of course miss. Please take a seat," Cleveland strolled around his desk as Thomas threw the morning paper on the table.

"James Garfield? I thought Mr. Adams was a liberal! Not a bootlicking son of a-"

"Please! Mr. Custer manners," he smiled at his Elizabeth who did not reciprocate the gesture.

"I may not agree, but he had reasons to appease the Republicans. It's not like the LNC will nominate Garfield as the Vice Presidential nominee..."

"I tire of this Cleveland! Run against Adams, you have Bourbon support-" Elizabeth looked at Thomas who went silent.

"Quiet Thomas. Mr. Cleveland excuse my brother in law. I don't believe you should run for President-"

"Neither do I, I plan to keep a career intact and go for the Vice Presidential spot," Elizabeth smiled.

"I was afraid you might say that Governor... You see my husband intends to run for Vice President at the convention and he certainly has no intention of making an enemy such as yourself..." Cleveland raised his hand.

"Excuse me madam, I have the utmost respect for George, but he's only 45. You're younger miss. I propose an allia-"

"No thank you Governor, I'm afraid Thomas and I shall be going then," she was cold. Cleveland's eyes widened.

"We've barely begun to talk miss, have I offended you?"

"My brother is not inclined to being a puppet Mr. Cleveland," Thomas spoke up again as he stood.

"If you want an alliance with us then run against Adams and endorse George as your running mate," again Libbie grabbed Thomas.

"Thomas! Stop that! Mr. Cleveland do not run for President, do not run for Vice President, if you would like an alliance, support my husband in all manners and I can assure plenty of award," Cleveland's joviality died.

"That's enough! I won't be a puppet to your boy either! Get the hell out of here!" The two left calmly and Cleveland returned to his seat.

"What in the god damn..."

-
Conventions to start soon...
These take place in order from March 17th to May 1st 1888

Chapter 24: Ready, set, GO! The 1888 Conventions...
RNC: Chicago, June 30th

Presidential Ballot1Vice Presidential Ballot1
James A. Garfield788Frederick D. Grant427
Others63Benjamin Harrison423

"On the 14th of March 1888, James A. Garfield was confirmed and sworn in as the 22nd Vice President of the United States. Garfield was generally unhappy with this arrangement. He kept his head down and refused to answer any questions about the nomination when Adams put it forward. In his mind he was doing nothing but a favor to the party bosses. He knew that his presence in Washington would be imperative for Republicans. He also legitimately believed that if he stayed quiet then he could be Vice President for a year and then return to his low lying political career. James Abram Garfield was by all accounts a genius. That notion however, was his dumbest. After swearing the oath, Garfield immediately gained national attention. The papers published the stories of his war days, his humble upbringing, his illustrious political career all of that. The man who was once a local legend was quickly morphing into a national legend, one fanned by Rutherford B. Hayes, who had quite high hopes for his fellow Ohioan.

Garfield himself helped this image accidently. The only thing Garfield and Adams had in common was their opposition to the spoils system, quite literally every other facet of the men was different. Adams was flamboyant and came from a rich political upbringing. Garfield was reserved and came from the poorest upbringing possible. This meant that Garfield regularly opposed Adams and thus accidently made himself the face of the Republican Party leading into the convention. If he wanted to fade into obscurity, he could've simply tied himself to Adams and the Liberals, the Republicans would have soon dropped him. Garfield had too much dignity for his own good.

Interestingly the tenuous relationship between Adams and Garfield was purely political. In fact the men soon found themselves becoming good friends and their dynamic duo became a further source of myth building among the general public. In other words, basically every event concerning James Garfield between March and June in the lead up to the convention made the results assured. Garfield arrived to Chicago and nearly immediately realized what was going to happen. The whole damn hall had 'Garfield for Me' pins. All his opponents were favorite sons and he could see Hayes beaming.

Stepping up to nominate Garfield was Frederick Dent Grant, the son of the recently deceased President Grant. Grant still even after his death had a near godly reputation in the Republican Party. His son being the man to nominate Garfield was seen as a sign from the heavens. This was a particular plan from the mind of Hayes who wanted to make a big splash in the papers.

"My father told me before he passed, that the future of the Republican Party must come in those who do not seek power, the Destiny of the Republic must be shaped by the reluctant masterminds, the kind, the honorable... He met Vice President Garfield many times, I heard my father speak of many politicians, few gained nearly as much admiration as James Abram Garfield. THIS IS WHY WE OFFER ONE! ONE DESTINY! ONE FUTURE! ONE RELUCTANT MASTERMIND!"
-Frederick Dent Grant in the Convention Hall

Few expected Grant's speech to be so impassioned, like his father Grant was soft spoken usually, the speech he gave brought the hall to a violent and raucous ovation. A nearly fifteen minute ovation. Within one ballot Garfield had won, it might as well have been unanimous. It is said that the Vice President buried his head into his hands and let out a tear. Now it was time for the Vice Presidential ballot.

Hayes had planned for Senator Benjamin Harrison to take the spot and had most of the hall whipped, however it became apparent that after the Grant 'Reluctant Mastermind' speech that many in the hall wanted to place him on the ticket. Hayes originally whipped against it, but after seeing the strength of the movement, especially in among southern and eastern delegates, he saw potential. Deciding he was fine with either man taking the spot, he stopped whipping. His silence convinced more to vote Grant and after one ballot Grant eked out a victory...

REPUBLICAN NOMINEES
For President: James Abram Garfield
For Vice President: Frederick Dent Grant

DNC: St. Louis, July 16th

Presidential Ballots123Vice Presidential Ballot1
Adlai Stevenson187321491Joseph Blackburn504
Henry G. Davis204223302Benjamin Tillman211
Joseph Blackburn10980Others107
John W. Daniel82834
Others24018725

The Democratic National Convention in St. Louis felt empty. There was a lingering feeling over the hall that there was clearly something missing. That something was nearly forty percent of the party, which had defected to the Liberals. The 1888 DNC was a glorified white supremacist hang out. That's the easiest way it could be described. Of the men running for office, around seventy percent were from a former confederate state, another sixteen where from a border state and just a few were the remnants of the Bourbons. The leader of this group was Adlai Stevenson of Illinois. Stevenson had maintained good standing with the southern members of the party. He argued that a Bourbon would need to be the nominee if they had any shot of a non embarrassing result this election.

Of the other main candidates, there was Henry G. Davis, 1884 Vice Presidential nominee from West Virginia. Joseph Blackburn a relatively inoffensive Kentucky Senator and John W Daniel, the current Virginia Democrat chair. The truth is Stevenson was the only guy running with any semblance of oratory skill. After three ballots and a deal with Blackburn he was nominated.

Said deal was an endorsement for the Vice Presidential nomination which was awarded. The hall unwilling to bicker generally coalesced around Blackburn. That said Benjamin Tillman, the recently elected South Carolinian Governor performed strongly. His failure was rooted in his unpalatability north of the Mason Dixon line and his young age.

DEMOCRATIC NOMINEES
For President: Adlai Stevenson
For Vice President: Joseph Blackburn

LNC: Boston, July 29th

Presidential Ballot1Vice Presidential Ballots1...10...19
John Q. Adams II688George A. Custer203321451
John Sherman200Grover Cleveland315321401
Others12Levi Morton26724442
Others115146

The Liberal National Convention was supposed to be a coronation for President Adams. King of the Bourbons and Master of the Liberals. This convention would however, not be so cut and dry. First off the Half Breed Republicans, who made the damn party, felt as if there faction was being outnumbered by former Democrats. The thing was, they kinda were. So, when the convention began a quarter of these Half Breeds broke off and attempted to bring John Sherman back, the 1884 nominee. Obviously they were unsuccessful, but their somewhat impressive showing spelled trouble for the convention.

For the past year the Custer family had been subtle in their hints of ambition. George, Thomas and Boston were all well known Liberal politicians and they had made a pact back in 1880, perhaps while drunk, that each brother would be President someday, starting with the Hero of Dakota himself, George Armstrong Custer. Boston was Adams' Secretary of the Interior and made quite the effort in dropping George in random conversation, this regularly annoyed Adams but the idea of a war hero on the ticket wasn't unappealing per se. Then came the run ins with Representative Thomas Custer, who seemed to snake his way in to Adams' friend group, similarly reminding him of George. Finally was his wife, Libbie showed up to every White House ball she possibly could, she would always chat with Adams and his own wife. Eventually Libbie and Francis Adams became close.

All Adams thought he heard was Custer, Custer, Custer. Yet he had practically never met George, he rarely showed up to the parties, he was always too busy. It was like Adams was being ignored. In some ways this enraged him and he wrote about it in his diary. In other ways it brought out a ravenous curiosity. The night before the convention began, Libbie invited Adams to the Custer hotel. We don't know what was said, we just know that all the Custers were in attendance and the meeting had a profound effect on Adams.

When the Vice Presidential balloting started, Adams stayed uncharictaristcally silent. He observed as a three way deadlock formed. Custer vs Cleveland vs Morton. A man of war vs a man of Bourbonsim vs a Half Breed. The Custers treated the convention hall like a battlefield, they were at a disadvantage to start with, so they divided and conquered. Libbie chatted with the delegates wives, Thomas intimated some in the back rooms, Boston wrote checks and George sat, in full military garb with a growing crowd. By the tenth ballot the Custer had worn down the Half breeds and along with Cleveland had split the native sons. They were neck and neck.

Over the next few ballots and days, Cleveland desperately appealed to the President for support, he was ignored. On the 18th ballot Custer broke 400 votes. Cleveland was only two behind... and then like a switch flipped in Adams. He strolled to the front and endorsed Custer. On the 19th ballot he secured a majority by one vote and was the nominee..."

LIBERAL NOMINEES
For President: John Quincy Adams II
For Vice President: George Armstrong Custer

-
ALRIGHT! Now time for the Indian and Freedmen and- Oh wait... Oh my... I've just gotten horrible news...........