title_card_jpeg.jpg

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it’s that time once again, we’ve got—

What are you doing?

The whole bold text normal text thing, obviously—

Well we’re not doing that this time.

Spoilsport.

Ahem.

Foreword
As alternate historians we are used to the idea that things in history can be changed. It is easy to picture a different flag over a palace, a different head on a coin, a different name on an invention. Nonetheless even alternate historians often fall victim to the fallacy of ‘historical whiggism’—that there is an ineluctable drive for Progress that always takes one direction towards the sunlit uplands (which curiously always seems to resemble the current values in fashion in our own timeline) and while it may be delayed, it cannot be stopped. When a news story breaks of events supposedly representative of ‘backwards’ values, we bemoan the fact that this happened ‘in the twenty-first century!’—and ignore the fact that our forefathers said much the same when it happened in the twentieth, nineteenth and so on.

A fine illustration of this tendency can be seen by comparing editions of, for example, the Times Atlas of World History from different eras such as the 1970s, 1990s and today. The last page or so remain almost unchanged, making the same prediction of a world transformed by global capitalism, secularism and greater environmental awareness. Yet more pages are inserted before that with each edition, describing world-shattering changes such as the fall of the Soviet Union and the rise of theocratic states and non-state actors. These changes add more and more contradiction to the final page, which is ultimately founded in futurist ‘progressive’ assumptions that predate them, until one day that conception will be thrown out altogether.

History is like evolution: it is not towards anything, but simply away from something. What path it takes is entirely up to us and the forces we set into motion. There are many things that seem ‘inevitable’ to us that would be baffling to inhabitants of other timelines—and vice versa. In our timeline there are many that see monarchism as an atavistic institution hanging on through life support in a few states, but is doomed to extinction within a generation. There are doubtless timelines out there where the same view is taken of that outdated, ridiculously flawed institution of government known as democracy, which began to be surpassed in the 1930s with its collapse in most European countries. To take another example, there were anti-vaccination campaigners 150 years ago; after the huge strides vaccination has made towards the elimination of global destructive diseases, there are still anti-vaccination campaigners today. This works both ways, too: social changes need not be required for scientific and technological breakthroughs—the Industrial Revolution was a cause of demands for such social changes, not a result of them.

History—and humanity—are not neat. Issues are rarely settled for good. Concepts cannot be deleted from our global consciousness as Orwell and his unironic imitators imagined they might. Equally, an apparently outdated practice may persist simply due to a lack of popular will to do otherwise. There are timelines where the idea of the United States still using a marginally amended version of its original 1789 constitution would be laughable, where the ancient republic of San Marino failing to join a united Italy would be absurd, where the continuing post-Cold War division of Korea would be inconsistent. Yet all of those things are true in our own timeline, and we accept them because that’s the way the world is. Nor is ‘progress’ one way even in our own timeline. Not so long ago, eugenics and Prohibition were considered progressive reforms part of the same package as votes for women, free education for all and improved sanitation. It is not always easy to predict which way the judgement of history will go.

So, how difficult is it to avert an inevitable, ineluctable tide of historical progress?

Perhaps easier than one might think...

Oh my. Presumably this is going to be averting the Great Reform Act, but not having that lead to a revolution instead. Perhaps just creating more boroughs instead of getting rid of the old ones?

Unreformed Parliamentary antics? Check. Comparisons of history to natural science? Check. Denouncement of historiographical Whiggery? Check. I think we've confirmed the identity of the author beyond all shadow of a doubt. :p

Seriously though, count me in. Subscribed.

Faeelin

Banned
Oh my. Presumably this is going to be averting the Great Reform Act, but not having that lead to a revolution instead. Perhaps just creating more boroughs instead of getting rid of the old ones?

That'll be the trick. But the English never have a history of revolutions, if you ignore those two in the 17th century (and their American one).

Thande

Donor
Chalmette Plantation, Louisiana, United States of America
January 8th, 1815

General Andrew Jackson glared at the battlefield before him. If you could call it that. New Orleans and the mouth of the Mississippi was dreadful territory for a conventional battle. That was half his strategy. The British regulars he faced might have swept Napoleon’s forces aside in Spain and France, but they couldn’t compare to his fighting Americans on their own turf. (He conveniently ignored the fact that Louisiana had only been Americans ‘own turf’ for twelve years and most of his men had never been here before). “I will smash them, so help me God!” he cried to his men. “By the Eternal, they shall not sleep on our soil!”

Jackson had made those sentences his battle cry for most of the day, and by now they were delivered in a histrionic shriek that under other circumstances might have been comical. But his men understood. Many, such as the Kentuckian militiamen backing up his regulars, were from the same southern tradition as Jackson, having acquired a taste for such high-pitched battle cries from their Indian foes. For that matter, some of those Indians were fighting on Jackson’s side today: he could see a small number of Cherokee braves even now engaging fire with British skirmishers. They were from the faction that had opposed the Red Sticks group that Jackson had smashed. They were his allies...for now.

King George’s army was indeed having many of the problems Jackson had foreseen. They had underestimated the flow of the Mississippi and their boats had been swept along, landing far from their intended site. Their artillery struggled to cope with the conditions, so different from the battlefields of Europe or India they knew. But nonetheless the regulars came. They approached the ‘Jackson Line’ of makeshift defences, answering Jackson’s challenge with their old battle cry of ‘HUZZAH!’

That cry sent Jackson back in time. For a moment he was a young teenager again, serving as a courier in the Revolutionary War. Many of his men, in short trousers when George Washington died, regarded that whole generation as world-bestriding titans belonging to a vanished legendary age. Jackson’s own small service to that age elevated him above other generals in their estimation. He did all he could to encourage the attitude.

His eyes hardened. The British had been beaten then, and they would be again. He dared to climb the Jackson Line where his men could see him, sweeping his sword forward dramatically as he yelled for them to fire, to kill the bastards. His eye picked out details of the red-coated men approaching: they wore tartan, albeit in the form of trousers rather than kilts. Highlanders. Jackson himself was of Scottish ancestry, via the plantations in Ulster, but that wouldn’t stop him fighting these long-lost brethren. Or killing them as easily as he had the Red Sticks. “I will smash them—”

Jackson never saw the man who killed him. The Highlander hadn’t been aiming for him, after all; he had only just appeared atop the fortifications. The Scotchman had been aiming his musket for the line of American regulars, but he stumbled on a stone at just the wrong time and his shot flew off wildly at far too elevated an angle.

Too elevated to hit the regulars, that is, but not their general.

As Jackson lay dying in a tent a half-hour later, John Coffee came to him to tell him that the British had been defeated and were in retreat. Jackson smiled to himself, at least knowing that his name would live forever in the pages of history. And after all, despite some ambitions for higher office, he knew in his heart of hearts that he was a warrior first: his impact on history would always have been in the battlefield, not the ballot box...

Waterloo, United Kingdom of the Netherlands
June 18th, 1815

The day—the longest of days—was over. Boney had cast his die for the last time, and at long last, after the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life, he had lost. Blücher had arrived. The British and their allies had held. The losses were grievous, terribly grievous. But they had held. And now L’Émpereur was in full flight. Still from the French lines the astonished cry echoed: “La Garde recule. Sauve qui peut!” The Guard is retreating! Save yourself! Napoleon had tried so hard for many years to preserve the myth of his Guard’s invincibility, only committing them when he was sure of victory. Now he had been forced to turn to them at long last and they had been found wanting. French morale was destroyed.

There lay the farmhouses of Hougoumont and La Haye Sainte, so hotly fought over during the day, now swiftly abandoned. But—no. Some of the Guard at least had honour. La Haye Sainte was held against the British in one brave but futile last stand. “La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!” cried one Frenchman, his name known only to God. The Guard does not surrender! The Guard dies!

Once again the Duke of Wellington urged Copenhagen forward. The horse snorted as he ate up the yards of the battlefield. Wellington’s men, so worn and battered by the hours of hammering from the French, cheered and followed. As the Waterloo sunset bathed the battlefield in a golden glow, the ground so covered in wadding that it looked almost like snow, Wellington joined Henry Paget, his cavalry commander. Well, the Earl of Uxbridge now. Wellington had not entirely agreed with Uxbridge’s actions that day, including him foolishly leading a charge in person—and what am I doing right now? Wellington thought wryly. “They’re done!” he cried. “Boney’s done!”

Uxbridge’s mouth split into a smile. “It’s all over at long last,” he said in wonder. “What has it been – twenty-five years since the Bastille was stormed, something like that? What will we do with peace?”

Wellington laughed shortly at the thought. “There is always something for men like us to do. Perhaps we are destined for high office.” He wasn’t sure if he welcomed the thought; his brief experiences with political intrigue, both at home and abroad, had left him rather distasteful of that other battlefield, the one where words could wound no less surely than musket balls.

Uxbridge was about to reply when it happened. One of the last cannons crewed by one of the last French artillerymen fired one of the last shots of the day. Red mist blinded Wellington for a moment, Copenhagen bucking beneath him. For one heartstopping moment he thought the horse had been hit. He looked down to examine his beast’s flanks. There was blood there, all right, but... “By God, sir, I’ve lost my leg!” he cried.

Uxbridge stared over at him. “By God, sir, you have!”

Such things could be survivable, with amputation and surgery, if the wound was in the right place. It was not. Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington and a host of other titles, bled out and died that hot June evening on the greatest battlefield Europe had ever seen. Back home, the churchbells would fall silent as men remembered the time ten years ago when Nelson, England’s other great hero, had too been cut down at the moment of his greatest triumph. There would be a second martyr, a second state funeral, a second place in St Paul's.

And the world was at peace.

The War Office, Pall Mall, London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
April 8th, 1818

Full of bombast as usual, Henry John Temple, Viscount Palmerston, raced for the stairs up to the War Office and leapt them in a single bound. His lunch break had been highly successful, the Madeira port wine circulating pleasantly through his veins, and he was ready to tackle the afternoon’s work. His business in tackling the planned reductions of the Army and its administrative bureaucracy were bound to ruffle a few feathers to say the least, especially given his controversial appointment of his friend Laurence Sulivan to an office in the ministry. So be it! Let it never be said that ‘Pam’ was one to shirk a good fight. If the bureaucrats in the War Office thought they knew how to conduct a war, then he would teach them a thing or two, with practical experience.

Palmerston was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he barely perceived the man stepping out of the shadows near the stairs. His own momentum from his leap almost saved him, but the man corrected his aim just enough and the bullet caught him in the back. Palmerston fell to the ground with a groan. He caught sight of a messenger emerging from the doorway to grapple with the gunman and seize his weapon. The man glared intensely at the messenger—William Owen, Palmerston belatedly recognised him—as he was apprehended: “You know me, and you know my wrongs; I have killed him.”

It was that deranged Lieutenant, David Davies, the one whose case Palmerston had heard about and tried to intervene in. Palmerston had heard he had hacked off his own manhood in hospital; killing a peer of the realm was small potatoes after that, he supposed. He managed to open his mouth with a croak. “No you haven’t, young man,” he managed. “The world will have to do a lot more than that to get rid of...of...”

Strange how dark it was for midday.

Last edited:

Sulemain

Banned
Oh wow, that was brutal Thande. I think I can see where this is going. *Worries about the future of liberty*

My god, Jackson, Wellington and Palmerston all gone:eek:?

At a guess, no popular elections for the US Senate as well as an unreformed commons.

Minor typo, though- Nelson and Wellington are buried in St. Paul's not the Abbey. I wonder what the effects of this would be on the Second Duke of Wellington of this...

Thande

Donor
My god, Jackson, Wellington and Palmerston all gone:eek:?

At a guess, no popular elections for the US Senate as well as an unreformed commons.

Minor typo, though- Nelson and Wellington are buried in St. Paul's not the Abbey. I wonder what the effects of this would be on the Second Duke of Wellington of this...

Thanks, corrected.

(FYI I intend to do one update a day on this, it won't be too long a piece).

That'll be the trick. But the English never have a history of revolutions, if you ignore those two in the 17th century (and their American one).

And the French had even less of one, prior to the 18th century.

And yet it occurred.

I'll be honest with you--the perception of the English as polite, placid, politically conservative folk that wouldn't dare start something is... really, really not served by the historical record.

I like the fact that you have noted the important historical role Andrew Jackson played in the development of American democracy, also the fact that eugenics and prohibition were considered progressive ideals. I remember when Ares visited me a time back making a comment to the effect that we like to divide history into good guys and bad guys, and that we consequently tend to see some people as "bringing in the future" and those who wish to "cling on to the past", and I said that Andrew Jackson was a good example of this. Everyone on this forum hates Andrew Jackson for pretty much justifiable reasons - ethnic cleansing. At the same time, however, every honest student of American history must acknowledge the tremendously important role Andrew Jackson played in the development of American democracy. When he started out, democracy was synonymous with mob rule, and indeed, the Founding Fathers had been extremely skeptical of the practice. By the time Andrew Jackson left office, there was universal white male suffrage, and the very idea of the popular mandate to govern was considered the only just basis of government.

We like our good guys to be thoroughly good, and we like our bad guys to be thoroughly bad. History, it appears, is never kind enough to provide us with such a clean narrative.

Faeelin

Banned
And the French had even less of one, prior to the 18th century.

And yet it occurred.

I'll be honest with you--the perception of the English as polite, placid, politically conservative folk that wouldn't dare start something is... really, really not served by the historical record.

I wonder if I should put something in my sig about sarcasm.