TLIAW: Making Murder Sound Respectable

Sideways

Donor
Eee. Everyone has political uniforms now. Its just how things roll in this world.

You couldn't be tempted to vote Labour?

Maybe, actually. Depending on how long we have had coalition governments, and what form Labour takes here. I doubt it though.

Good use of the takeaway to split the scene up, I think.

When it says that cars run on coal, is that solid lumps of bituminous or is it burning oil made from coal via the Bergius Process? The latter would make much more sense due to simple portability.
It could be fluidised/powdered coal, Diesel experimented with it and (IIRR) the RN did some experiments in the early twentieth century as an alternate to oil for dreadnoughts.

It could be fluidised/powdered coal, Diesel experimented with it and (IIRR) the RN did some experiments in the early twentieth century as an alternate to oil for dreadnoughts.

IIRC powdered coal in actual use was simply to allow automated machinery to pump it into fireboxes to heat the same boilers as lump coal would have, to reduce manpower costs.

Yes, Diesel experimented with it, but you notice he gave up on it. Myself, I'd imagine the ash produced would make a coal powdered IC engine totally impractical (extra wear and tear on the machinery, glassy deposits forming, etc.)

Gesundheit.

Danke schoen.

Pataki? Surely not George Pataki?

Naw, just a bloke called Pataki. I'm a strong believer in butterflies, so there won't be anybody OTL born after a certain point.

Maybe, actually. Depending on how long we have had coalition governments, and what form Labour takes here. I doubt it though.

Good use of the takeaway to split the scene up, I think.

Labour is a bit of a different beast in this world due to events (OR THE LACK OF THEM), and due to the presence of different players in the system.

When it says that cars run on coal, is that solid lumps of bituminous or is it burning oil made from coal via the Bergius Process? The latter would make much more sense due to simple portability.

IIRC powdered coal in actual use was simply to allow automated machinery to pump it into fireboxes to heat the same boilers as lump coal would have, to reduce manpower costs.

Yes, Diesel experimented with it, but you notice he gave up on it. Myself, I'd imagine the ash produced would make a coal powdered IC engine totally impractical (extra wear and tear on the machinery, glassy deposits forming, etc.)

To be honest lads, I wrote it because I thought it sounded cool.

'Well, this is hardly going as planned.' murmured Helen.

'You think?' snorted Alan, 'It's going to hell in a hand-basket out there! What was the plan exactly?'

'Well, you know, man the barricades, hold off the hand of reaction, all that.'

'Oh, you're a regular Eric Blair. How did you expect this would end up. It always ends up this way.'

If you're wondering what Alan and Helen are so concerned about, its that major outbreaks of violence have broken out in pretty much every major city in Britain. Union Party supporters, dressed in crisp, black, pseudo-military uniforms, carrying aloft red banners with the blue and white lightning bolt, are joined by their more informal allies, dressed in camouflage and combat boots, brandishing makeshift clubs. They are protesting the perceived subversion of democracy that was the 2013 boundary review, as well as the ever present threat of International Zionism. Joining them, albeit only to fight them are the Red Brigades of the Communist Party of Great Britain, dressed in grey overalls and blood-red flags in their hands, though more often its a nasty looking stick.

This was expected. Similar violence broke out in 2011, though that time it was the Communists protesting the ascent of the Unionists as a tool of reaction and International Capital. Outbreaks of this kind are not uncommon, though the portents of their occurrence have been hammered down by the police services, and they are just about keeping order. Nobody cares to mention that the Greenshirts have erected a cordon between both sides, and it is partly because of their collaboration with the authorities that the violence hasn't gotten worse.

Helen is Alan's sister, who came up to see him over the election weekend. While Alan is a card-carrying Labourite, Helen is a self-declared 'Trotskyite', after a little-known Menshevik writer who died of old age in New Jersey. Apparently his writings have become very popular after his death amongst excitable young people who like the idea of 'perpetual revolution'. The two siblings are outside, watching the lights of the city, the sound of angry voices being carried on the wind. It is midnight, and the election is yet to be won with only four seats declared, and all of them for Labour.

LABOUR: 4

Words drifted out of the window, from the television where Dimbleby implacably continued his commentary.

'Sunderland North was a seat that the Nationals needed to win, it is considered a marginal, and Labour's victory here, no matter how narrow seems to signal that our exit poll is correct. However, it is early in the night yet, and trying to call the election on four results is dangerous indeed.'

'Yes, Fred, that was an upset for the Nationals, but it looks like the Unionist vote collapse has largely benefited either Labour or the CPGB, and that has allowed Labour to nose ahead and oust the Tory incumbent, Samuel Storey III.' came the voice of the BBC's resident psephologist, Hadrian Cox. There was a silence, presumably as Dimbleby grizzled over being called 'Fred'.

'As for the Unionist collapse, we have reports of violence breaking out between Blackshirts and Red Brigades in cities up and down the country. The Greenshirts have as usual offered the authorities help in keeping the peace, though there has been criticism of Social Credit exploiting an unstable situation for electoral benefit.' It cut to a Greenshirt spokesman in Yorkshire, his emerald beret at a jaunty angle.

'Quite how we'd benefit at all considering the polls have closed is beyond me. Social Credit stands for harmony, and we footsoldiers of the cause see no sense in mindless violence.' The green-white-black 'K flag' fluttered behind him.

'And we need to cut away there as Antrim North is about to declare.'

ANTRIM NORTH

National: 17,542
Home Rule: 5,620
Union: 3,778
Labour: 1,985
Ulster Protestant: 1,879
Liberal: 716
Other: 2,442

NATIONAL HOLD, FOR ROBERT O'NEILL

'Not a result any of us held in doubt, ever since the UUP split between the Powellite hardliners and the Ulster Conservative moderates, this seat has been held by the National party, and the O'Neill family. What is more important is that the other bastion of Loyalism, the Unionist party has fallen to third, behind the Home Rule League which is notably more radical in Northern Ireland. Similar violence to the mainland has broken out in the province, but is reportedly between the Unionists and Home Rulers and has proven much more difficult to control.'

'Well, look on the bright side. At least it isn't as bad as over there.' noted Helen. Alan shrugged his shoulders. There didn't seem to be much difference from where he was standing.

I'm just enraptured by how grim you're making this

Death toll in the thousands due to political violence, and barely noticed by the press or public because they're just too desensitised it maybe?

I'm just enraptured by how grim you're making this

Death toll in the thousands due to political violence, and barely noticed by the press or public because they're just too desensitised it maybe?

Maybe it's clearer why I named this how I did.

I liked that, and am interested in how this came about. Unfortunately, it would ruin the song 'No more Heroes'

It may become more obvious when I throw in some talking heads from overseas.

Tovarich

Banned
'Yes, Fred, that was an upset for the Nationals, but it looks like the Unionist vote collapse has largely benefited either Labour or the CPGB, and that has allowed Labour to nose ahead and oust the Tory incumbent, Samuel Storey III.' came the voice of the BBC's resident psephologist, Hadrian Cox. There was a silence, presumably as Dimbleby grizzled over being called 'Fred'.
D'you know, I thought that was what you call someone who reads the bumps on your scalp, D'OH! :eek: