TLIAD: Zonen

Meadow, your TL inspired me to get back to doing research on the evolution of the occupation zones in Germany and I managed to find a lot of good info to update the map I made.

Hats off to you! ;)

It makes a nice change to see a TL focusing on such small changes. Also, I like how TLIADs are bringing back the short alternate history scenario. Much as I like sprawling AH epics, some variety on the forum is good.

fasquardon

Did Denmark keep any part of Schleswig Holstein, like Sylt?

As Pia mentions in her interview, there were no annexations of German territory. However, as Sylt is a Frisian Island, there was an attempt by a group of Danish ultranationalists to seize it via an amphibious landing. It failed.

Yes, I first found this today via Roem's excellent Yorkshire Assembly timeline, and I can only say that I am very happy to find out that you have decided to look into Danish history a little more since we last discussed the situation! :)

I can only say I very much look forward to one day having a lengthy proper in-depth discussion of Scandinavian politics in general with you, preferably in either Copenhagen or Malmö.

I liked the personal touches to the story, in particular the ending with the flowers and all that. As has already been rated, but that I think bears repeating, excellent to see you experimenting with the TLIAD-formula. I think you've nailed this approach quite thoroughly.

And I like your inclusion of Pia Kjærsgaard (a woman I am quite convinced is incapable of looking anything other than furious).

Finally, since I must point out something that peeved me a little... You have Queen Margrethe II say that her family came from Austria? Surely the House of Glücksburg, being a junior branch of the House of Oldenburg, have always been firmly rooted and settled in Northern Germany?

Yes, I first found this today via Roem's excellent Yorkshire Assembly timeline, and I can only say that I am very happy to find out that you have decided to look into Danish history a little more since we last discussed the situation! :)

I can only say I very much look forward to one day having a lengthy proper in-depth discussion of Scandinavian politics in general with you, preferably in either Copenhagen or Malmö.

I liked the personal touches to the story, in particular the ending with the flowers and all that. As has already been rated, but that I think bears repeating, excellent to see you experimenting with the TLIAD-formula. I think you've nailed this approach quite thoroughly.

And I like your inclusion of Pia Kjærsgaard (a woman I am quite convinced is incapable of looking anything other than furious).

Finally, since I must point out something that peeved me a little... You have Queen Margrethe II say that her family came from Austria? Surely the House of Glücksburg, being a junior branch of the House of Oldenburg, have always been firmly rooted and settled in Northern Germany?

That may be a case of Did Not Do The Research. You are correct, but I think my family had always told me she was Austrian (which looking back, is odd, because there's no way a Catholic is getting on the Danish throne in the 18th/19th century) but I'd never looked it up. I will correct that, well-spotted.

I'm glad you liked the piece all the same.

Sulemain

Banned
Makemakean;99695 I can only say I very much look forward to one day having a lengthy proper in-depth discussion of Scandinavian politics in general with you said:
Why didn't we meet up when I was in Lund? :D

Oh, those are very nice in their own right, so another good consequence of this TL!

Thank you. In researching the other countries that contributed to the occupation I realized that those sectors go a long way to explaining the positioning of various NATO corps areas of resposibility in NORTHAG (British led with British, Belgian, West German, American and Dutch troops and some French as reserve) and CENTAG (American led with American and West German troops with more of the French forces in Germany as a reserve) and the Danish/West German NATO forces in Schleswig-Holstein. I aim to continue fleshing it out to 1955 and showing the NATO corp areas post 1955. Also considering adding in the International Authority of the Ruhr if I can.

Oh, this was very well-written. :) Enjoyed it thoroughly. And given your Danish ancestry, this whole idea was probably very close to your heart.

It's a pity I've found this so late. I would have otherwise nominated it for the TLIAD category in the current TAs. :( :eek: A very good and original TLIAD nonetheless.

Oh, this was very well-written. :) Enjoyed it thoroughly. And given your Danish ancestry, this whole idea was probably very close to your heart.

It's a pity I've found this so late. I would have otherwise nominated it for the TLIAD category in the current TAs. :( :eek: A very good and original TLIAD nonetheless.

Don't worry, it's been nominated - I was going to do so myself, but iainbhx got there first.

Huzzah ! :cool: Very good to hear, Jon. :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for this TL.

Thanks, guys. Nice to see this pop up in After 1900 again just before I go to bed. I'm glad it was so well-received - as I think I've said before, I was expecting it to be a quiet TL with a few fans and some 'yeah nice' comments, but it got some really positive feedback. It was indeed close to my heart - though obviously the central 'story' is fictional in every sense - and some of my Danish relatives have enjoyed it too.

Zonen is now available for purchase as Kindle ebook as part of the first phase of publications from Sea Lion Press.

Aside from a couple of small corrections and edits, it's the same story you can read here. It also includes an exploration of the real world backstory of Zonen, as well as a list of things it says that are actually true IOTL. If you'd like to purchase it for whatever reason, please click on the cover above (if you are outside the UK, you might be redirected - if this happens, search for 'zonen sea lion press' in the Amazon search bar and it should appear).