TILAW- David Cronenberg's Spider-Man

TehIrishSoap said:
Aunt May and Uncle Ben, Anne Bancroft and Gene Wilder
:eek::confused::confused: I'd think more Angela Lansbury or Helen Hayes, &...IDK.
TehIrishSoap said:
Robert Englund ...as Doc Oc
Hmm...
TehIrishSoap said:
Molly Ringwald was cast as Mary-Jane Watson the love interest.
:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused: You do know she's supposed to be a model? So I'm thinking, IDK, Famke Janssen. Not to mention, what happened to Gwen?:confused::rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused: You do know she's supposed to be a model? So I'm thinking, IDK, Famke Janssen. Not to mention, what happened to Gwen?:confused::rolleyes:

What? Molly Ringwald would be just fine, especially since this is meant to take place in high school.

Also: Famke Janssen? She's who you get for femme fatale parts, not the girl next door...

Keep it up. Seems this ATL Spiderman film project has already sent some major ripples into the entertainment industry. I wonder if Jurassic Park gets made and whether the experience from making Spiderman will impact the quality of the CGI used in the ATL version of the film.

What? Molly Ringwald would be just fine, especially since this is meant to take place in high school.

Yeah. She's a good period choice for the role.

Jurassic Pa- OH MY GOD THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE

The behind the scenes wrangle for the director's chair of Jurassic Park proved to be nearly a bigger circus than what was in front of the camera.

Steven Spielberg was initially the favourite to bring the novel to life, however following the success of gritty and dark superhero films in the first two years of the 1990's, Universal decided to hire James Cameron to bring the novel to life.

Cameron took the director's seat on one stipulation- the film was to be rated R.

Naturally, this caused a tremendous headache among the suits at Universal, as they felt that under Spielberg, Jurassic Park would have been a family friendly blockbuster, but with Cameron's proven track record of delivering smash hit R-rated films, they eventually relented and allowed Cameron to do what he saw fit with the material.

The film ITTL is more faithful to the novel, with more swearing, less focus on the children's plight, and more graphic violence.

Cameron felt the film should be a throwback to the 70's disaster movie genre, and to that end some of Hollywood's biggest names are dispatched in more grizzly and darkly comic ways.

In the film's most famous scene and was a very popular .gif in the early day's of the internet, Mel Gibson's character is attempting to flee a T-Rex and is jumping between cargo containers, when he loses his footing and the T-Rex launches a container at him, crushing him and the character explodes into giblets of gore.

Rounding out the cast was Anthony Hopkins as John Hammond, Sharon Stone as Ellie Slater, Nicolas Cage as Dr Ian Malcolm, Eddie Murphy as Ray Arnold, and Robin Williams as Dennis Nedry.

The high cost of the CGI creatures, the salary of the all-star cast, and Cameron's insistence on filming on location in Costa Rica drove the budget up to a then-unheard of 135 million dollars, making it the most expensive film of all time at that point.

Early predictions indicated the film would have to make at least 400 million dollars to be a success, and this film would either make or break Cameron's career...

Did I just inspire you ?! Did I ? :D

Cameron directing JP. Counts as a bummer in my book. :(

The casting choices are definitely more... Cameronian. :p ;) But Eddie Murphy as Ray Arnold ?! Come on... :mad: Miscast.

Nitpick: Sattler, not Slater. (Unless he had her name changed.) And grisly, not grizzly.

Tovarich

Banned
It's hard to imagine anyone other than Robert Downey Jr. playing Iron Man.
The period we're talking about here, I have trouble imagining anyone but Burt Reynolds.......don't blame me, it's just how he looked in the comics back then.

(Actually, he looked even more like Bill Beaumont, but unless the BBC are funding production that is very unlikely casting indeed!)

Mel Gibson's character is attempting to flee a T-Rex and is jumping between cargo containers, when he loses his footing and the T-Rex launches a container at him, crushing him and the character explodes into giblets of gore.

Rounding out the cast was Anthony Hopkins as John Hammond, Sharon Stone as Ellie Slater, Nicolas Cage as Dr Ian Malcolm, Eddie Murphy as Ray Arnold, and Robin Williams as Dennis Nedry.

I assume the Gibson .gif from the alt-Blu-Ray version is also very popular once Gibson talks a little about his beliefs.

Fantastic casting. Cage is of course the best when crazy. I don't suppose Eddie Murphy decides to keep doing good movies from starring in Jurassic Park? That'd be nice. 'Tis a fun timeline, and I'm curious as to where everything goes.

The high cost of the CGI creatures, the salary of the all-star cast, and Cameron's insistence on filming on location in Costa Rica drove the budget up to a then-unheard of 135 million dollars, making it the most expensive film of all time at that point.

Early predictions indicated the film would have to make at least 400 million dollars to be a success, and this film would either make or break Cameron's career...

That's a crazy budget. I'm guessing you took True Lies $120 million budget and bumped it up for the cast and CG? Keep in mind that full CG dinos were just 4 minutes IOTL, 1992-3 tech can only go so far. Also $135 million is insane :).

However $400 million isn't what's required for profitability, and man would the studio be mad at anybody floating such a figure lol. 2.5x seems about right for the points for the cast and marketing spend. That's $337.5 million, although let's go to $350 million (10,000 film prints surprisingly expensive before digital) not $400 million. Of course that's a filthy lie because that's what Hollywood does and the trade press usually follows suit. Especially in the early '90s where VHS sales alone made studios like half the domestic box office of a popular movie.

Just for fun, and assuming the film does the suggested $400 million instead of OTL and let's keep the OTL 1/3 domestic 2/3 international split, though your commentator would be thinking maybe 50/50 (and studios make more money per domestic box office dollar), to reduce the profits. So probably $150 million in rentals, below break-even. Once you add home video, paytv, and tax credits you get the same number again at the very least, probably well over. So yeah $400 million as your commentator suggests would be $50 million + in profit within ~2 years (and if the film was 50/50 split as he'd think, ~100 million, he is way off, lol). God I love Hollywood accounting so very very much.

Now that I've had fun with numbers I'm super excited to see what it does :).

Edit:
1,000 views already, I'm tickled pink. Thanks for the views! Any feedback or suggestions?

Nah. I quibble with a few things but I'm enjoying it lots overall :).

Last edited:
The park is open; developments in American cinema summer 1993

Opening on June 11th 1993, James Cameron's Jurassic Park took in a massive 112 million on it's opening weekend, putting rest to any fears that the film would be a flop. By the end of June, it had roared it's way to 300 million in domestic box office, racked up 40 million pounds in the U.K box office, and was a surprise success in Asia as audiences there felt it was a throwback to the monster movies of the 60's and 70's.

The film also received positive reviews, with Roger Ebert giving it 4 stars claiming "Cameron's monster movie isn't the same brand of Saturday afternoon fun as say, Indiana Jones or Star Wars, but what it is however, is an unrelenting thrill ride that's most certainly not for kids, the movie treats you like an adult, expects the viewer to play it's game and that's what makes it so enjoyable"

By the end of July, it had become the highest grossing R-rated film of all time, and a sequel was greenlit.

All told, Jurassic Park took in 783 million dollars worldwide, and Cameron's position as Hollywood's hottest director was solidified.

The summer's other big film The Fugitive was swamped by Jurassic Park, but film historians speculate that losing star Harrison Ford to Schindler's List (Spielberg wanted Liam Neeson for the role of Oskar Schindler but after seeing him in Spider-Man, he decided he wasn't right so cast his old friend Harrison Ford) and replacing him with Kurt Russell is what sunk the film, and proved to be Kurt Russell's last big Hollywood film, deciding to focus on television...

Meanwhile that summer, production began on the new Superman film (subtitled Doomsday's Plight), with Bruce Campbell being cast as the Man Of Steel. The casting move saw him reunited with his Evil Dead director Sam Raimi, in the supporting roles, Famke Janssen was cast as Lois Lane, Ed Harris as Perry White, and James Woods as Jor-El.
On the villain's roster, Arnold Schwarzenegger was cast as the titular Doomsday, and Robert Downey Jr reprised his role from the end of Batman Returns as Lex Luthor.

In the world of music, the heavy metal world was still reeling from Metallica going on indefinite hiatus after front man James Hetfield was left in a coma for 2 months after accidentally being set on fire at a gig in Montreal the previous summer, leaving the title of the world's biggest heavy metal band up for grabs, and the media generally saw it as a straight fight between Anthrax and Pantera for that crown...

Amazing work it was cameron so it will be a sucess he knew his game.

Damn the fugitive bombed but yeah, mr ford was the fugitive. Seems the idea of bruce campbell as superman is popular in 90's, so far amazing update.

Amazing work it was cameron so it will be a sucess he knew his game.

Damn the fugitive bombed but yeah, mr ford was the fugitive. Seems the idea of bruce campbell as superman is popular in 90's, so far amazing update.

Glad to see I have a big name fan on my thread, love your work and thanks for the feedback!

Hump De Bump... any ideas? Suggestions? Feedback? xoxo

What will be of metallica, will hetfield recover or he will take more time and as respect not remplace him? the rest how is Kurt Cobain Doing? what is other pop culture butterflies going? with a pod like this, maybe universal will abort that awful super mario bros movie and make the sci-fi part a standlone film or just not do it?

I doubt Spielberg would cast Ford, an American, for Schindler's list. The entire idea was to get away from Hollywood in a sense and make a very "European Film" hence the choice of European actors. Even though many would say that Spielberg's film was an Americanization of the Holocaust, his intent was to try and avoid that.

I'd suggest that in TTL, if Spielberg had doubts about Neeson, that he'd go with another Irishman, Kenneth Brannagh.

Spiderman 2: Electric Boogaloo

"Cronenberg steps away from Spiderman franchise, claims he wasn't happy with Marvel's vision"
"Kurt Cobain enters therapy for depression, heroin addiction problems"
"James Cameron in talks for Tsutomu Yamaguchi biopic"
-Entertainment Tonight September 17th 1993

In early September 1993, David Cronenberg announced he was stepping away from the directors chair for the upcoming Spiderman sequel. News on the web-slingers newest adventure have been surprisingly scarce up to that point, considering it is slated to enter production in January.

Cronenberg later stated in interviews that Marvel executives were forcing him to shoe-horn in other Marvel characters into his film. That last statement confirmed what many had been predicting: Marvel were making a Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In most reviews of Spiderman 2, many complaints were drawn towards the somewhat awkward and forced introduction of Nick Fury into the film, with many claiming it bought the film to a halt.

Robocop and Total Recall director Paul Verhoeven was chosen to finish what Cronenberg had started, and admitted the experience was "hell" and took a 3 year hiatus from directing following the films release.

Reports of tension on the set dominated trade talk through most of 1994, with rumors of Michael J Fox and Verhoeven nearly coming to blows on multiple occasions, and Liam Neeson claimed in an off-mic interview for the film that Verhoeven was an "insufferable bollocks".

The behind the scenes tension ultimately spilled out onto the screen, with the film being a decidedly darker affair than even Cronenberg's effort,.

Verhoeven went so far as to draw parallels to the Green Goblin terrorizing New York on his glider to the Nazi's bombing his home nation of Holland in the second World War.

The film eventually released on January 27th 1995 to mixed reviews. Critics praised the dark, almost film noir like tone the film had, and the fight scenes were lauded for their grittiness, but the majority of the criticism was reserved for the sudden plot derailment when Nick Fury is introduced.

The film was still a hit regardless, finishing up with 475 million dollars worldwide, an improvement over the original.

The film's success thrust into motion one of the most risky and dangerous gambles a movie studio had attempted since Cleopatra...