The world of "Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire"

Haha, nah, I'm a Detroit Lions (American football) fan, so I have been preconditioned to expect the worst case scenario to happen in any given situation. :eek:

But in an interesting side note, former member Incognito messaged me about a week ago with this:

it seems that a Russian lawmaker has suggested forming a "Russian Foreign Legion" :eek:

won't lie, that felt like a "ripped from the timeline" sort of thing.

Janey Mac... Looks like those jokes about Zhirinovsky reading your TL weren't that far off the mark... Have to say, that always struck me as one idea that could have the potential either to work brilliantly (Liberia was a comparatively bright spot in the TL - and since the country was run by a junta, what that says about the ZRE world speaks volumes) or to blow up in the faces of the users in spectacular fashion, but knowing which one would of course be impossible until too late...

Regarding expecting the worst case scenario to happen... I know that feeling. The Irish national rugby team are damn good, but their performance has been variable enough over the years I've been alive that my family have usually found it better to assume the worst and be even happier if they win than going 'Great Day for Ireland this' and get our hopes ground into the mud :p

Shame about those Lotto numbers :D

Hey PG I had an amusing thought: with the Kosovo Missile Crisis occuring only 2 years before the OTL comedy movie Blast from the Past would it impact the film ITTL (assuming it isn't butterflied away entirely)? Would ITTL the movie feature the Webbers enter the fallout shelter in 1997 only to emerge in the bizzar world of the 2032?

I would love it if someone wrote a snippet on the movie ITTL :)

Haha, nah, I'm a Detroit Lions (American football) fan, so I have been preconditioned to expect the worst case scenario to happen in any given situation. :eek:

But in an interesting side note, former member Incognito messaged me about a week ago with this:

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-islamic-state-foreign-legion/26683340.html

it seems that a Russian lawmaker has suggested forming a "Russian Foreign Legion" :eek:

won't lie, that felt like a "ripped from the timeline" sort of thing.

Not the only thing either. :(

Russia funding French National Front

It's really ominous to see how some of today's events seem to mirror TTL. :eek:

(Putin might not be Zhirinovsky, but he certainly has his way of making 'ominous' remarks)

I maybe misremembering but I don't think UIS did anything like that ITTL.

They didn't, but at one point the National Front begins taking in large numbers of pro-Zhirinovsky Russian immigrants, who Le Pen held up as being 'the kind of people we want in France' as opposed to Muslim immigrants. IIRC, they were also in Britain, where they'd joined with right-wing British groups to burn down mosques and paint 'World War Z is coming' in Muslim neighbourhoods. So...no official support, but definitely Zhirinovskyite Russians were responsible ITTL for adding gasoline to smouldering racial tensions.

bookmark95

Banned
The Presidency Of John Engler

I know I've asked you about the kind of president John Engler would be, but it would be nice to have insight into some of his policies, popular or otherwise. And since Paul Wellstone and JFK Jr. both live, I wonder what was the series of events that brought both of them to national attention.

A few interesting things in the news recently:

In Ukraine, a student bake sale with such items as "Zhirinovsky's Brains" (I don't get it either, :confused:) and "Blood of Russian Children" (yeah, I get that one. :() as well as "Tanks to Russia" (that one was actually kind of clever).

Ukrainian Students Sell 'Blood of Russian Children' Drinks at School Bake Sale

• The Moscow Times
  • Dec. 08 2014 13:20
  • Last edited 19:58
candy-fair-ukraine.jpg

Nikolaev-City.netThe fundraising event, called "Give a Soldier Warmth," was part of a series of bake sales held at various schools to raise money to buy thermal clothing for Ukrainian troops.
A group of schoolchildren in southeastern Ukraine has prompted an outcry after selling items with creative names such as "Blood of Russian Children" and "Tanks to Moscow" at a charity bake sale organized to raise funds for Ukrainian troops.
The baked goods, prepared by the schoolchildren with the help of their parents and activists from the "Family Community" group, carried special thematic names in order to attract attention to the conflict in eastern Ukraine, Ukrainian news site Inshe.tv reported.
Guests were offered treats called "[Russian lawmaker Vladimir] Zhirinovsky's brain," "Tanks to Moscow," "Yellow-and-Blue Stars on the Kremlin," — in an apparent reference to a Ukrainian takeover of Russia's center of government — and then drinks called "Blood of Russian Children" to wash it all down.
Ukraine has been a divided country ever since the ousting of former pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych in February and Russia's annexation of the Black Sea peninsula of Crimea a month later. The West and the new Kiev government have accused Russia of supporting separatists in the country's eastern Donbass region with military aid — a claim Moscow denies.
Online news site LifeNews cited the Ukrainian schoolchildren as saying their teacher had helped them come up with the "fun names" for the baked goods.
The fundraising event, called "Give a Soldier Warmth," was part of a series of bake sales held at various schools to raise money to buy thermal clothing for Ukrainian troops, the report said. More than 5,000 hryvnas ($323) was collected at the latest bake sale, held on Dec. 4 in the southern Ukrainian city of Mykolaiv.
The bake sale also saw the student who presented the best treats given a flag signed by Ukrainian fighters who battled pro-Russian separatists at the Donetsk Airport, Inshe.tv reported.
Photos and video of the event published by the Russian media over the weekend triggered an outcry among many Russian commentators.
"In Donbass they're killing children, and in peaceful territories they're killing the souls of children," one Russian commentator wrote on state new agency RIA Novosti's website

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...ks-to-moscow-goodies-at-bake-sale/512715.html

And this is a few weeks old as well, but a Russian lawmaker...well, I'll let you guys read it yourself. :eek:

Putin's mini army: Lawmaker proposes giving Russian women president's sperm to create new 'military and political elite'

• Yelena Borisovna Mizoulina made bizarre proposal during round table debate
  • She told State Duma move would create children 'devoted to the homeland'
  • Putin's offspring would then be given 'special allowances' by the state
  • One critic described story as total rubbish from 'Ukrainian yellow press'
  • Ms Mizoulina recently said all Russian Jews should consider leaving country
BySteph Cockroft for MailOnline
Published: 17:42 EST, 6 November 2014 | Updated: 20:42 EST, 6 November 2014
3.8kshares

A lawmaker wants to hand out Vladimir Putin's sperm to Russian women en masse in a bid to create a new generation of 'military and political elite'.
Yelena Borisovna Mizoulina, the Chairwoman of Parliamentary Commission on women's affairs, children and family, told colleagues that giving the president's sperm to would-be mothers would improve patriotism in Russia.
Ms Mizoulina, who has a PhD in law, made the bizarre proposal during a round table discussion on fertility in Russia.
1415312627547_wps_21_MOSCOW_RUSSIA_NOVEMBER_05.jpg

A lawmaker wants to hand out Vladimir Putin's sperm en masse to Russian women in a bid to improve patriotism in the country

According to the Russian-language newspaper, Trust, she told the State Duma that Putin's brood would then be given 'special allowances' from the state, in return for their 'devotion' to the country.
She said: 'The essence of my proposition is simple.
'Every citizen of Russia will receive by mail the genetic material of the president, to get pregnant from him and have a baby. These mothers will receive receive a special allowance from the state.'

1415312649383_Image_galleryImage_Elena_Mizulina_jpg.JPG

Yelena Borisovna Mizoulina told colleagues that giving the President's sperm to would-be mothers would create a new 'military and political elite'

Adopting the assumption that Putin's offspring would be male, she went on to describe how the children would be educated in 'special institutions that resemble Souvorov Schools' - a type of boarding school in the former Soviet Union.
The aim would be that the child would be 'devoted to the homeland and personally to the President of the Russian Fedaration', she said.
She added: 'Children born from the Russian president in the future will form the military and political elite of the state.'
But Mikhail Klikishin told the Observer the story is 'total BS from Ukrainian yellow press'.
The open discussion about Putin's sperm is out of the ordinary. The Kremlin usually gives nothing away about the president's private life.
Putin also becomes prickly when asked about his family.
Putin's two daughters, Maria and Yekaterina, and their private lives are protected by a strictly obeyed code of silence among Russia's media.
There is also ongoing speculation about Putin's relationship with Alina Kabayeva, 30, who was first named as the president’s mistress five years ago.
Putin divorced his wife, Lyudmila, 55, earlier this year.
Ms Mizoulina is infamous for her strange law-making suggestions.
She recently recommended that all Russian Jews consider leaving the country, stating: 'We have enough problems'.
Earlier this year, she also introduced a bill that banned higher education for young women who had yet to give birth.
She also drafted a law prohibiting 'sexual intercourse in the territory of the Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol.' The law was not adopted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...perm-create-new-military-political-elite.html

bookmark95

Banned
The Midwest After Zhirinovsky

Considering all the turmoil the Midwest has undergone during this timeline, I'm surprised there hasn't been a spin-off dealing the . I felt it would be very interesting to explore how Ohio, Michigan, and elsewhere have developed since the end of Zhirinovsky. Here's my attempt to fill in the blank:

huffingtonpost.com
Vegetables Blossoming in America's Grozny by Dennis Hayes
Dec 15, 2006

Brightmoor is a neighborhood that has come to represent many things over the years. In its heyday, it was a working class neighborhood full of autoworkers, and a testament to the strength of America's middle class.

"That used to be a playground", former resident Edna Little said as she pointed to a greenfield covered in weeds ,"the things from your childhood are never really far from your mind".

But by 2004, it came to represent other things. When Detroit became the largest city to go backrupt that January, Democratic Presidential Candidate Dick Gephardt toured Brightmoor, turning it into a symbol of the Motor City's economic collapse. He also made one of the greatest gaffes in of that election year, calling it "America's Grozny", or more specifically, "An area of America that resembles Grozny, but not because of a genocide, but because of policies that have hurt the American middle class". 60 sq mi., or nearly half the city, is like Brightmoor, nearly empty of people.

"When I Gephardt say that I felt a little depressed" said Little, a little dejected "Of course, it offended Chechens too. They pretty much took over Hamtramck, and they vote more than native-born residents, but most people didn't realize that until Gephardt opened his mouth and lost the primary."

Little, wants to put Brightmoor back on the map, this time, in another strange parallel to Grozny, as a farm. Little, and her business, Little Foods wants to redevelop the area to grow organic vegetables to provide fresh produce to the people in the community, and get in the growing organic foods market. She is here to check on her current bed, as well as supervise a bunch of volunteers tear up the remains of her house.

"It gives people healthy food, the land is cheap and vacant, so I figured why not," said Little.

The former autoworker's transition to urban farmer began during the 1997 Depression, but the roots (no pun intended) of it were laid during her childhood.

"My grandma was originally a sharecropper," she claimed, "but she never truly left the farm. She would always grow some tomatoes, some broccoli, some carrots, some sweet potatoes on a little bed in the backyard. I of course helped her out sometimes. I never expected I'd be making a living the way she did back in Georgia."

She left Brightmoor, as did other families, and found a job assembling engines for the Cadillac de Ville at the GM Hamtramck facility. Like many Detroiters, she assumed she would work for a few decades, raise her two sons, get a pension, and retire to Florida. The closing of the facility in 1998 stunned and horrified her.

"All my coworkers were scared, many of them complained about how their hard work came to nothing. I was pretty quiet, but that was more because of shock," she said as passed by the soon to be demolished house.

Even more troubling for them would be the Crop Shortage of 1998, the result of hundreds of thousands of migrant farm workers fleeing California.

"We take a lot things for granted in America," she said as we passed by the soon to be demolished house, "from the food we eat, to the people who grow it for us. Before 1998, my coworkers wanted the Mexicans gone. It took them leaving for a few weeks to make us understand hunger."

Many of Little's coworkers found themselves both without jobs and without the means to pay for fresh produce. But unlike her coworkers, Little found she had some skills needed to not only feed herself, but dozens of others.

"It was good that my sons could stomach vegetables and potatoes," she said with a chuckle, " or they would have starved. But I first realized I could probably sell my surplus after reading that Big Macs had suddenly cost 12 dollars."

During that first year, Little was able to make nearly half her wage at GM selling vegetables to her neighbors.

"Of course some of them had no money," she said sadly, "so instead I offered them to do a household chores. One of my neighbors was a carpenter, so I got a new dinner table in exchange for a bag of green beans. I tell people to this day that it was the best deal I ever made!"

Of course, when agricultural market recovered in 99, Little found herself forced onto welfare, and eventually had to sell her car and walk her children to school. It wasn't until 2001 that she was able to find steady work in construction.

"I guess I shouldn't be ashamed since a lot people had to stand in line, but holding out longer than my neighbors did made it harder for me to accept a welfare check", Little muttered.

But in 2005, a few new supermarkets opened in nearby Southfield, giving Little a new lease on a life she had grown to enjoy.

"The managers of those supermarkets claimed that they already had organic produce," said Little ,"but what didn't admit to having was Detroit produce."

Currently, Little Foods supplies produce to nearly 10 supermarkets in the Detroit area, as well as donations to soup kitchens and high schools, one of nearly hundreds of people working to turn the city into a large farm. Little recently signed a contract with another supermarket, and will grow her produce on 50 acres of the largely abandoned Brightmoor district, bringing it 10 news jobs and development. I asked her if she felt that what she was doing was bringing Detroit back.

"Of course," she beamed ," Mayor Cockrel would like to take credit for this, but city depends not on the people in power, the people on the street who choose to remain. Me and others have chosen not to give up on city, thus it will rise again one day".

New York Times
Sales of EV2 drop in the Third Quarter, Amid Reports of Record Sales, ZEV Mandate Threatened
April 21, 2006

A year ago, to much great fanfare, GM launched the EV2, a sleek, four-door electric sedan that could travel 120 miles before needing to be recharged, a successor to the two-seater EV1. The $48,000 ($44,000 with the Clean Car Tax Credit) price tag notwithstanding, the car symbolized a new era for the nearly bankrupted automaker. By the end of the year, GM paid off its federal loans, sold more cars than it had in 1997, and became the best selling American automaker in China and the UIS, all amidst the Dubai crisis of last August. The EV2 had sold nearly 10,000 cars during that year, requiring overtime at the Hamtramck facility. GM again regained its dominance in the global market.

"People thought another war was going to breakout," said Joseph Moore, editor of EVWorld.com, a top website for electric car news, "so naturally people began stocking up on them".

GM's Third Quarter sales have again broke previous records, with nearly 1.9 million cars sold. However, despite predictions of 3,000 cars being sold, only about 1,800 EV2 were sold this quarter.

"Gas prices drop," said Moore with disgust, "and suddenly everyone wants to buy an SUV. On a normal day, people forget the law of supply and demand.

The EV2 remains a small part of a business where the majority of sales come from the sale of light trucks and cars, the majority of the cars were built to comply with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) Mandate, a law from 1990 that requires automakers to make 5 percent of their lineup produce no exhaust. The mandate will rise to %10 by 2011

GM CEO Rick Wagoner went to CARB a week ago to plead the regulatory body to loosen the mandate amid these sales, claiming that it wasn't profitable, referring the Smith deal, named after then CEO John Smith, which allowed automakers to reduce production of these cars if demand for them went below the mandate. But when an energy crisis hit after the Kosovo Missile Crisis, GM was bound to produce the EV1. Over 15,000 had been sold when GM declared bankruptcy in 1999.

"With the Smith Deal", said Jananne Sharpless, former chairwoman of CARB ," GM and other automakers were hoping not to produce cars, but the Energy Crisis of 1997 ended up catching them off guard."

GM, Ford, and Chrysler recently launched another lawsuit against the ZEV Mandate. Joining them is Californians Against Utility Company Abuse, a non-profit that argues against the building of EV charging stations with taxpayer funds, which has received much of its funding from the Koch Brothers, who have recently signed a contract to build an oil refinery on behalf of Yukos.

"We are not opposed to environmental protection," said CAUCA spokesman Dave Hearley "but we don't want to force the California taxpayer to subsidize a product no one wants."

"I think people tend to forget who these groups are playing for," said Moore angrily, "they are supported by the Koch Brothers who are being supported by the UIS to keep us dependent on fuels that hurt our economy and wallets. I find it strange that a guy like Eric Hale is labeled a traitor for revealing our government is violating the Constituion, yet someone paid by the Russians to argue on their behalf is just a guy doing business."

Despite the lawsuit, GM says it will continue mass producing the car through this December, indicating Detroit wants to keeps its eggs in several baskets. Although the future of the EV2 remains in doubt, it still will remain a part of the market for weeks to come.

Detroit Free Press
Dudayev Mosque Vandalized!
January 11, 2008

The Chechen community in Hamtramck woke up this Friday to a sight of racism and bigotry. In red paint, the phrase "Vengeance shall Belong to the Russian People" had been sprayed on the southeastern (the direction facing Mecca) wall and door of the Dudayev Mosque. The attack comes on the year of the tenth anniversary that the mosque was opened by Chechen refugees in honor of the late Chechen president. With 500 members, it remains the largest single congregation of Chechens in the North America. Hamtramck, with nearly 1200 people, has the largest Chechen community in the US outside Los Angeles.

"I thought I would be free," said an outraged Robert Nodilev, a Chechen immigrant, as well as a survivor of the Fall of Grozny ,"I survived Zhirinovsky ,and war, and being a refugee to arrive in a land of freedom. And after all that, the ghosts of Grozny still follow me!"

Police Chief Robert Piludski as issued a statement saying, "The Hamtramck Police does not condone such acts of bigotry and vandalism. We respect the rights of those to worship freely, and will punish those who persecute others merely for their religious beliefs to the full extent of the law."

The two major Democratic presidential candidates Paul Wellstone and Harold Ford, both here in Michigan for the primary next Tuesday, have issued a joint statement calling the attacks "an affront against basic American values of tolerance." President Engler, who had been in Lansing for a campaign stop condemned these acts as well bluntly calling them "an act by a bunch of thugs without much better things to do".

This spray painting incident is has been third act of anti-Muslim hate crimes in Michigan since last October. In October 2007, a Russian nationalist in Grand Rapids publicly burned a Koran, calling it "an insult to the Muslim faith". In December, an imam was stabbed outside the Dearborn Mosque by another Russian radical.

"I hoped Engler in 2004 would win because I thought he would punish the Russians", screamed Nodilev, "punish them for their horrors. Instead he's allowed the Russians to continue their war against the Muslims of the world. I say screw Engler, he's useless!".

The Bus that Spews Water: Exploring the Erie Miracle
National Geographic
June 11, 2012

According to my travel book ,"Lets Go To Cleveland" (a rare sentence I know) they recommend I take the Megabus line as the quickest way from the airport. They actually have a special yellow spot for this bus, as well as its own personal fueling station. It's there I learn that the bus is powered largely by hydrogen, releasing nothing but water vapor, one of only two municipal buses in America powered by hydrogen (the other is in Columbus).

It is here I arrive at my destination, the Cleveland Convention Center, where businesses are coming around for the Midwestern Regional Business Association's Conference, looking for the same thing I am: the source of Cleveland's continued economic growth in this recession. Again, something I never thought I'd say ten years ago.

"I remember those harsh days", says Joyce Henderson, vice-chairwoman of MRBA, a middle aged woman dressed professionally, "no power, no heat, no jobs".

Henderson was referring to the 2001-2002 Ohio energy crisis. After the shutdown of the David Besse Power Plant due to damage from the 9/11 attacks, power throughout Northern Ohio remained intermittent. During that time, children had to where coats in doors during the winter. Some people went without water. The basic features of modern life had become sporadic. That, combined with the impact of the Jam, left also took an enormous economic toll. By 2002, unemployment in Cleveland was at 15%. The Time cover for that year was "Is Cleveland Done?".

"Oh please," laughed Henderson, "I remembered in the 70s people said that about New York. They said that about Denver, they said about Seattle. But remember you have to get to rock bottom before you can rise again. I guess New York had to have a blackout before things could get better".

And risen it has. Stepping up to podium is the person who has claimed credit for it, former mayor and current governor Jane L. Campbell, who has taken credit for what she has called the "Erie Miracle".

"When I was elected of the city of Cleveland, it had one of the worst job markets in the nation", she said, "now people from around the world have come, even the G-7".

Yes, she'll mention the appearance of the G-7, while omitting the anti-globalization protests that quickly overshadowed the meeting as well as the most notable part of the event, the giant Greenpeace banner that was hung over the convention wall saying "UIS oil kills people and kills the planet," ignoring the fact that the UIS is not a G-7 nation.

But what was the smoking gun of the Erie Miracle. Ironically, the roots were laid in the very same turmoil that brought Cleveland to its knees, the Oak Harbor disaster. Before that disaster, most Ohioans took for granted their energy supplies.

"In 2000, few people took things like global warming or pollution seriously," said Professor Walter Kinata, a professor of environmental engineering at the Washekewicz College of Engineering at Cleveland State University. "Back then, a poll I remember reading said that only 18% of Ohioans believed in global warming. Most people were concerned with gas prices, and were receptive to George Bush's belief in nuclear energy."

The came of course the Oak Harbor nightmare and the Jam which left Ohioans angry, frightened, frazzled, and without power.

"You have to understand", said Kinata, "that the crisis had hurt Ohioans of all walks off life, from cities to towns, from Democrats and Republicans. Suddenly an entire state that was divided about a lot of things came to believe in clean energy."

Ohio governor Bob Taft, also shaken by the crisis, and pretty furious and then President Bush, ignored that national Republican party line and chose to invest in renewable energy. He invested more per capita than any other state to develop wind and solar. To invest in alternative fuels. And Bush's tax cuts extended to a Renewable Energy Tax Credit as well. Many Republicans in Ohio to this day are pro-renewable, in contrast to the national Republican Party, and are eager to renew it next year.

Today, Ohio ranks fifth in wind energy production, behind Oklahoma, Iowa, California, and Texas. Ohio also gets nearly 2% of its power from solar energy, and has a per capita production of 193 watts, which puts them ahead of New Mexico.

The greatest beneficiary of course was Cleveland, Ohio.

"Cleveland had a disused industrial infrastructure," said Hinata, "as well as proximity to all wind and solar projects. You can't really outsource wind energy production. And Jane L. Campbell tax benefits and retraining programs sealed the deal for many of these businesses."

Today Vestas, Siemens, and Eurosolar employ thousands of people in Cleveland, making it the largest concentration of green energy jobs in the nation. The innovation has also attracted high-tech. All this has made a city that is pretty much recession proof. And Governor Campbell's plan Cape Erie project, which by 2015 could harnesses the winds of Lake Erie, ensures these companies will have work for years to come. Continuing to fuel the Erie Miracle.

bookmark95

Banned
Nice.
Really interesting!!

Did someone had news from Master Pellegrino?

Why than you very much. I want to capture the mood of the world: not necessarily an evil world, but one with surprises both good and bad.

The good: electric cars, prosperous Cleveland
The bad: Anti-Muslim hatred, and an even more decrepit Detroit.

The Midwest After Zhirinovsky

Considering all the turmoil the Midwest has undergone during this timeline, I'm surprised there hasn't been a spin-off dealing the . I felt it would be very interesting to explore how Ohio, Michigan, and elsewhere have developed since the end of Zhirinovsky. Here's my attempt to fill in the blank:

huffingtonpost.com
Vegetables Blossoming in America's Grozny by Dennis Hayes
Dec 15, 2006

Brightmoor is a neighborhood that has come to represent many things over the years. In its heyday, it was a working class neighborhood full of autoworkers, and a testament to the strength of America's middle class.

"That used to be a playground", former resident Edna Little said as she pointed to a greenfield covered in weeds ,"the things from your childhood are never really far from your mind".

But by 2004, it came to represent other things. When Detroit became the largest city to go backrupt that January, Democratic Presidential Candidate Dick Gephardt toured Brightmoor, turning it into a symbol of the Motor City's economic collapse. He also made one of the greatest gaffes in of that election year, calling it "America's Grozny", or more specifically, "An area of America that resembles Grozny, but not because of a genocide, but because of policies that have hurt the American middle class". 60 sq mi., or nearly half the city, is like Brightmoor, nearly empty of people.

"When I Gephardt say that I felt a little depressed" said Little, a little dejected "Of course, it offended Chechens too. They pretty much took over Hamtramck, and they vote more than native-born residents, but most people didn't realize that until Gephardt opened his mouth and lost the primary."

Little, wants to put Brightmoor back on the map, this time, in another strange parallel to Grozny, as a farm. Little, and her business, Little Foods wants to redevelop the area to grow organic vegetables to provide fresh produce to the people in the community, and get in the growing organic foods market. She is here to check on her current bed, as well as supervise a bunch of volunteers tear up the remains of her house.

"It gives people healthy food, the land is cheap and vacant, so I figured why not," said Little.

The former autoworker's transition to urban farmer began during the 1997 Depression, but the roots (no pun intended) of it were laid during her childhood.

"My grandma was originally a sharecropper," she claimed, "but she never truly left the farm. She would always grow some tomatoes, some broccoli, some carrots, some sweet potatoes on a little bed in the backyard. I of course helped her out sometimes. I never expected I'd be making a living the way she did back in Georgia."

She left Brightmoor, as did other families, and found a job assembling engines for the Cadillac de Ville at the GM Hamtramck facility. Like many Detroiters, she assumed she would work for a few decades, raise her two sons, get a pension, and retire to Florida. The closing of the facility in 1998 stunned and horrified her.

"All my coworkers were scared, many of them complained about how their hard work came to nothing. I was pretty quiet, but that was more because of shock," she said as passed by the soon to be demolished house.

Even more troubling for them would be the Crop Shortage of 1998, the result of hundreds of thousands of migrant farm workers fleeing California.

"We take a lot things for granted in America," she said as we passed by the soon to be demolished house, "from the food we eat, to the people who grow it for us. Before 1998, my coworkers wanted the Mexicans gone. It took them leaving for a few weeks to make us understand hunger."

Many of Little's coworkers found themselves both without jobs and without the means to pay for fresh produce. But unlike her coworkers, Little found she had some skills needed to not only feed herself, but dozens of others.

"It was good that my sons could stomach vegetables and potatoes," she said with a chuckle, " or they would have starved. But I first realized I could probably sell my surplus after reading that Big Macs had suddenly cost 12 dollars."

During that first year, Little was able to make nearly half her wage at GM selling vegetables to her neighbors.

"Of course some of them had no money," she said sadly, "so instead I offered them to do a household chores. One of my neighbors was a carpenter, so I got a new dinner table in exchange for a bag of green beans. I tell people to this day that it was the best deal I ever made!"

Of course, when agricultural market recovered in 99, Little found herself forced onto welfare, and eventually had to sell her car and walk her children to school. It wasn't until 2001 that she was able to find steady work in construction.

"I guess I shouldn't be ashamed since a lot people had to stand in line, but holding out longer than my neighbors did made it harder for me to accept a welfare check", Little muttered.

But in 2005, a few new supermarkets opened in nearby Southfield, giving Little a new lease on a life she had grown to enjoy.

"The managers of those supermarkets claimed that they already had organic produce," said Little ,"but what didn't admit to having was Detroit produce."

Currently, Little Foods supplies produce to nearly 10 supermarkets in the Detroit area, as well as donations to soup kitchens and high schools, one of nearly hundreds of people working to turn the city into a large farm. Little recently signed a contract with another supermarket, and will grow her produce on 50 acres of the largely abandoned Brightmoor district, bringing it 10 news jobs and development. I asked her if she felt that what she was doing was bringing Detroit back.

"Of course," she beamed ," Mayor Cockrel would like to take credit for this, but city depends not on the people in power, the people on the street who choose to remain. Me and others have chosen not to give up on city, thus it will rise again one day".

New York Times
Sales of EV2 drop in the Third Quarter, Amid Reports of Record Sales, ZEV Mandate Threatened
April 21, 2006

A year ago, to much great fanfare, GM launched the EV2, a sleek, four-door electric sedan that could travel 120 miles before needing to be recharged, a successor to the two-seater EV1. The $48,000 ($44,000 with the Clean Car Tax Credit) price tag notwithstanding, the car symbolized a new era for the nearly bankrupted automaker. By the end of the year, GM paid off its federal loans, sold more cars than it had in 1997, and became the best selling American automaker in China and the UIS, all amidst the Dubai crisis of last August. The EV2 had sold nearly 10,000 cars during that year, requiring overtime at the Hamtramck facility. GM again regained its dominance in the global market.

"People thought another war was going to breakout," said Joseph Moore, editor of EVWorld.com, a top website for electric car news, "so naturally people began stocking up on them".

GM's Third Quarter sales have again broke previous records, with nearly 1.9 million cars sold. However, despite predictions of 3,000 cars being sold, only about 1,800 EV2 were sold this quarter.

"Gas prices drop," said Moore with disgust, "and suddenly everyone wants to buy an SUV. On a normal day, people forget the law of supply and demand.

The EV2 remains a small part of a business where the majority of sales come from the sale of light trucks and cars, the majority of the cars were built to comply with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) Mandate, a law from 1990 that requires automakers to make 5 percent of their lineup produce no exhaust. The mandate will rise to %10 by 2011

GM CEO Rick Wagoner went to CARB a week ago to plead the regulatory body to loosen the mandate amid these sales, claiming that it wasn't profitable, referring the Smith deal, named after then CEO John Smith, which allowed automakers to reduce production of these cars if demand for them went below the mandate. But when an energy crisis hit after the Kosovo Missile Crisis, GM was bound to produce the EV1. Over 15,000 had been sold when GM declared bankruptcy in 1999.

"With the Smith Deal", said Jananne Sharpless, former chairwoman of CARB ," GM and other automakers were hoping not to produce cars, but the Energy Crisis of 1997 ended up catching them off guard."

GM, Ford, and Chrysler recently launched another lawsuit against the ZEV Mandate. Joining them is Californians Against Utility Company Abuse, a non-profit that argues against the building of EV charging stations with taxpayer funds, which has received much of its funding from the Koch Brothers, who have recently signed a contract to build an oil refinery on behalf of Yukos.

"We are not opposed to environmental protection," said CAUCA spokesman Dave Hearley "but we don't want to force the California taxpayer to subsidize a product no one wants."

"I think people tend to forget who these groups are playing for," said Moore angrily, "they are supported by the Koch Brothers who are being supported by the UIS to keep us dependent on fuels that hurt our economy and wallets. I find it strange that a guy like Eric Hale is labeled a traitor for revealing our government is violating the Constituion, yet someone paid by the Russians to argue on their behalf is just a guy doing business."

Despite the lawsuit, GM says it will continue mass producing the car through this December, indicating Detroit wants to keeps its eggs in several baskets. Although the future of the EV2 remains in doubt, it still will remain a part of the market for weeks to come.

Detroit Free Press
Dudayev Mosque Vandalized!
January 11, 2008

The Chechen community in Hamtramck woke up this Friday to a sight of racism and bigotry. In red paint, the phrase "Vengeance shall Belong to the Russian People" had been sprayed on the southeastern (the direction facing Mecca) wall and door of the Dudayev Mosque. The attack comes on the year of the tenth anniversary that the mosque was opened by Chechen refugees in honor of the late Chechen president. With 500 members, it remains the largest single congregation of Chechens in the North America. Hamtramck, with nearly 1200 people, has the largest Chechen community in the US outside Los Angeles.

"I thought I would be free," said an outraged Robert Nodilev, a Chechen immigrant, as well as a survivor of the Fall of Grozny ,"I survived Zhirinovsky ,and war, and being a refugee to arrive in a land of freedom. And after all that, the ghosts of Grozny still follow me!"

Police Chief Robert Piludski as issued a statement saying, "The Hamtramck Police does not condone such acts of bigotry and vandalism. We respect the rights of those to worship freely, and will punish those who persecute others merely for their religious beliefs to the full extent of the law."

The two major Democratic presidential candidates Paul Wellstone and Harold Ford, both here in Michigan for the primary next Tuesday, have issued a joint statement calling the attacks "an affront against basic American values of tolerance." President Engler, who had been in Lansing for a campaign stop condemned these acts as well bluntly calling them "an act by a bunch of thugs without much better things to do".

This spray painting incident is has been third act of anti-Muslim hate crimes in Michigan since last October. In October 2007, a Russian nationalist in Grand Rapids publicly burned a Koran, calling it "an insult to the Muslim faith". In December, an imam was stabbed outside the Dearborn Mosque by another Russian radical.

"I hoped Engler in 2004 would win because I thought he would punish the Russians", screamed Nodilev, "punish them for their horrors. Instead he's allowed the Russians to continue their war against the Muslims of the world. I say screw Engler, he's useless!".

The Bus that Spews Water: Exploring the Erie Miracle
National Geographic
June 11, 2012

According to my travel book ,"Lets Go To Cleveland" (a rare sentence I know) they recommend I take the Megabus line as the quickest way from the airport. They actually have a special yellow spot for this bus, as well as its own personal fueling station. It's there I learn that the bus is powered largely by hydrogen, releasing nothing but water vapor, one of only two municipal buses in America powered by hydrogen (the other is in Columbus).

It is here I arrive at my destination, the Cleveland Convention Center, where businesses are coming around for the Midwestern Regional Business Association's Conference, looking for the same thing I am: the source of Cleveland's continued economic growth in this recession. Again, something I never thought I'd say ten years ago.

"I remember those harsh days", says Joyce Henderson, vice-chairwoman of MRBA, a middle aged woman dressed professionally, "no power, no heat, no jobs".

Henderson was referring to the 2001-2002 Ohio energy crisis. After the shutdown of the David Besse Power Plant due to damage from the 9/11 attacks, power throughout Northern Ohio remained intermittent. During that time, children had to where coats in doors during the winter. Some people went without water. The basic features of modern life had become sporadic. That, combined with the impact of the Jam, left also took an enormous economic toll. By 2002, unemployment in Cleveland was at 15%. The Time cover for that year was "Is Cleveland Done?".

"Oh please," laughed Henderson, "I remembered in the 70s people said that about New York. They said that about Denver, they said about Seattle. But remember you have to get to rock bottom before you can rise again. I guess New York had to have a blackout before things could get better".

And risen it has. Stepping up to podium is the person who has claimed credit for it, former mayor and current governor Jane L. Campbell, who has taken credit for what she has called the "Erie Miracle".

"When I was elected of the city of Cleveland, it had one of the worst job markets in the nation", she said, "now people from around the world have come, even the G-7".

Yes, she'll mention the appearance of the G-7, while omitting the anti-globalization protests that quickly overshadowed the meeting as well as the most notable part of the event, the giant Greenpeace banner that was hung over the convention wall saying "UIS oil kills people and kills the planet," ignoring the fact that the UIS is not a G-7 nation.

But what was the smoking gun of the Erie Miracle. Ironically, the roots were laid in the very same turmoil that brought Cleveland to its knees, the Oak Harbor disaster. Before that disaster, most Ohioans took for granted their energy supplies.

"In 2000, few people took things like global warming or pollution seriously," said Professor Walter Kinata, a professor of environmental engineering at the Washekewicz College of Engineering at Cleveland State University. "Back then, a poll I remember reading said that only 18% of Ohioans believed in global warming. Most people were concerned with gas prices, and were receptive to George Bush's belief in nuclear energy."

The came of course the Oak Harbor nightmare and the Jam which left Ohioans angry, frightened, frazzled, and without power.

"You have to understand", said Kinata, "that the crisis had hurt Ohioans of all walks off life, from cities to towns, from Democrats and Republicans. Suddenly an entire state that was divided about a lot of things came to believe in clean energy."

Ohio governor Bob Taft, also shaken by the crisis, and pretty furious and then President Bush, ignored that national Republican party line and chose to invest in renewable energy. He invested more per capita than any other state to develop wind and solar. To invest in alternative fuels. And Bush's tax cuts extended to a Renewable Energy Tax Credit as well. Many Republicans in Ohio to this day are pro-renewable, in contrast to the national Republican Party, and are eager to renew it next year.

Today, Ohio ranks fifth in wind energy production, behind Oklahoma, Iowa, California, and Texas. Ohio also gets nearly 2% of its power from solar energy, and has a per capita production of 193 watts, which puts them ahead of New Mexico.

The greatest beneficiary of course was Cleveland, Ohio.

"Cleveland had a disused industrial infrastructure," said Hinata, "as well as proximity to all wind and solar projects. You can't really outsource wind energy production. And Jane L. Campbell tax benefits and retraining programs sealed the deal for many of these businesses."

Today Vestas, Siemens, and Eurosolar employ thousands of people in Cleveland, making it the largest concentration of green energy jobs in the nation. The innovation has also attracted high-tech. All this has made a city that is pretty much recession proof. And Governor Campbell's plan Cape Erie project, which by 2015 could harnesses the winds of Lake Erie, ensures these companies will have work for years to come. Continuing to fuel the Erie Miracle.

Really enjoyed this! It is fun to see how Ohio and Michigan would end up after ZRE and I really liked your take on things!

And the idea of Gephardt blowing the 2004 election due to his reference to "America's Chechnya" is actually one I could see playing out. I would imagine the Chechen population in Ohio would be a group that could swing 90% one way or another...depending on the core issue of the UIS and Chechen independence.

In fact, it sort of reminds me about a little covered fact of the 2004 election. Kerry made what seemed like a throwaway line saying Kosovo should be independent. Few paid attention to it...but in the Serbian American community it rallied a large majority of the Serbs behind George Bush. This proved critical in Ohio, where Serbs made up a sizable minority and the entire election came down to Ohio. So having Gephardt lose the Chechens would lead to him losing Ohio...which would lead to him losing the entire election.

Here are a few interesting links on the role of the "Serbian American Voters' Union":

[SIZE=+1]Bush, Kerry take election battle to Balkans[/SIZE]
sify.com ^ | Friday, 29 October , 2004, 08:38 | AFP

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:02:26 PM by Destro

Bush, Kerry take election battle to Balkans

Friday, 29 October , 2004, 08:38
Belgrade: With the US election coming down to the wire, the Republican and Democratic camps are leaving no stone unturned in their hunt for votes, even if it means waging their campaigns in far-flung corners of Europe.
President George W. Bush and Democratic challenger John Kerry have been courting various ethnic groups in the Balkans, that complicated and poorly understood region of southeastern Europe which imploded in war in the 1990s.
Loved by some in the Balkans and hated by others, the United States is nevertheless a country of immigrants and many of the post-World War II arrivals came from the Balkan republics that constituted the former Yugoslavia.
The American Serb population is particularly significant, numbering more than a million eligible voters according to Serbian estimates, with significant concentrations in battleground states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania where they found work in factories during America's post-war industrial boom.
Both sides of US politics have suddenly taken a keen interest in Serb concerns.
Serbian newspapers have been inundated with US political advertisements, letters from the candidates and even foreign policy promises geared to win Serb support.
"These appeals from Kerry and Bush have been launched because the Serbs are very numerous in states such as Ohio and other industrial states which will be keys to victory on November 2," said local analyst Ljiljana Smajlovic.
Analysts believe most Serbs are pro-Bush, if only because it was a Democratis administration under Bill Clinton which intiated the NATO bombing of Serbia during the 1998-99 war between Serbian forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo.
"The Serbs will vote for Bush despite his unpopularity in Europe, mainly because of the entourage around Kerry," such as Clinton's secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, said Smajlovic.
In a letter to the American Serb community which was also published last week in Serbian newspapers, Kerry promised to find a solution to Kosovo as "rapidly as possible" within the limits of UN Resolution 1244, which states that the breakaway province is a part of Serbia.
Meanwhile the local press has seized on comments attributed to a senior Bush official this week about the UN war crimes court at The Hague, where Milosevic and other Serb leaders are on trial over the wars in the former Yugoslavia.
The Washington Times reported Sunday that Bush is in favour of closing the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), which is widely seen here as an anti-Serb witch-hunt.
"There is a very real risk that the (tribunal) prosecutions will not resolve the situation in the Balkans but will create new animosities that lead to tensions," Undersecretary of State for Arms Control John Bolton was quoted as saying.
The report said Bush had lost patience with chief UN war crimes prosecutor Carla Del Ponte, a hated figure in Belgrade and a regular target of scorn in the Serbian press.
Such was the excitement generated in Serbian newspapers, where portraits of a smiling Bush were splashed across the front pages under headlines such as "I will close the ICTY!", that the US embassy was moved to issue a statement.
"The government of the United States continues to support ICTY's efforts to bring to justice those who have committed serious violations of international humanitarian law," it said. "The United States continues to provide financial and diplomatic support to ICTY."

[SIZE=+1]“Undetected” Voters Will Swing This Election[/SIZE]
Serbian Americans for Bush ^ | Nov. 2 2004 | Dr. Serge Trifkovic

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 11:22:27 AM by dj_animal_2000

Much has been made this election of the "undetected" voter, from new voters to cell-phone voters. But there is another undetected voting block that will make a crucial impact on this election: Serbian-Americans.
There are up to two million Serbian-Americans, about a million of them registered voters. It is estimated that two-thirds of them are concentrated in seven battleground states: in Ohio (esp. Cleveland), Wisconsin (Milwaukee), Florida, Missouri (St. Louis), Pennsylvania, Michigan (Detroit), and New Jersey.
In the past they had been split along party lines, with a slight majority favoring Democrats. Not this year. Thanks to a “get-out-the-vote” campaign targeting the swing states, Serbian-Americans have come together to form a solid block – in support of President George W. Bush.
The reason is simple: The Bush Administration is, by far, more even-handed when it comes to Serbian-Americans’ ancestral homeland. The President has also addressed the concerns, hopes and aspirations of all Orthodox Christians in the United States in the manner that his opponent cannot and will not do. The latter’s foreign and social policies are molded by the same ideologues who bombed Serbia and owed their rise to an unpatriotic President. To counteract Senator Kerry’s blatantly one-sided Balkan policy proposals, Serbian-American groups – including ours – have undertaken registration drives and grass-roots campaigns to get the word out to about his record and the role Serbian-Americans can play in preventing a Kerry presidency. The Serbian American Voters' Union has also taken out print ads in major daily papers in the battleground states, including Ohio, Florida and Wisconsin, to inform voters of the disastrous Balkan plans of Mr. Kerry and his closest circle of foreign policy advisors.

Also, I like the image of Cleveland in economic recovery and GM bouncing back (it would be interesting to see GM buy back the "Chevette" name from Yugo when they start having problems). I think the growth of farms in the rust belt would have an interesting overall impact on the country, with the nation being less dismissive of the importance of domestic farmers and it being more popular of a profession.

bookmark95

Banned
Really enjoyed this! It is fun to see how Ohio and Michigan would end up after ZRE and I really liked your take on things!

And the idea of Gephardt blowing the 2004 election due to his reference to "America's Chechnya" is actually one I could see playing out. I would imagine the Chechen population in Ohio would be a group that could swing 90% one way or another...depending on the core issue of the UIS and Chechen independence.

In fact, it sort of reminds me about a little covered fact of the 2004 election. Kerry made what seemed like a throwaway line saying Kosovo should be independent. Few paid attention to it...but in the Serbian American community it rallied a large majority of the Serbs behind George Bush. This proved critical in Ohio, where Serbs made up a sizable minority and the entire election came down to Ohio. So having Gephardt lose the Chechens would lead to him losing Ohio...which would lead to him losing the entire election.

Here are a few interesting links on the role of the "Serbian American Voters' Union":

Also, I like the image of Cleveland in economic recovery and GM bouncing back (it would be interesting to see GM buy back the "Chevette" name from Yugo when they start having problems). I think the growth of farms in the rust belt would have an interesting overall impact on the country, with the nation being less dismissive of the importance of domestic farmers and it being more popular of a profession.

Thanks for the review. I had no idea that Serbian population rallied around George Bush, thus helping him win Ohio. I wondered why is it that Dick Gephardt didn't get the nomination in 2004 despite the fact that he was the running mate of Al Gore. My guess is that Gephardt, as you said, is a pro-labor politician, thus he would expect an easy victory in Michigan. The problem is, he ignores the Muslim community living in Michigan, this allowing Kerry to get the nomination. I think Engler would have a lot more support from labor than Kerry since he was willing to go across the aisle and support a nationalization of GM, not to mention Kerry is a rich guy who I don't feel could identify with autoworkers.

The reason I wrote Cleveland being the economic engine of the post-Zhirinovsky era is because I read about Pittsburgh, and how it was economically stable during the recession. A city that twenty years ago had bottomed out because of the decline of the steel industry rising again. Also Bob Taft promoted renewable energy, or at least made token investments in it while governor. So I figure he would put a lot more money into renewables TTL because of the disaster that shut Ohio down. And some Midwestern Republicans are very pro-renewable for the jobs. So I figure Cleveland deserves a break.

GM's recovery mirrors the OTL recovery. GM has made record profits in the last couple of years, and they've done extremely well in China, where is Buick is a very popular brand. When the Chevy Volt debuted in 2007, it was supposed to be a sign of GM's commitment to clean cars. When GM collapsed OTL in 2008, the car became of symbol of hope for its recovery. The EV1 would have become the same thing. It was built in 1996 OTL to comply with the ZEV Mandate OTL, but because of the 90s energy crisis, there is no way GM would not produce it, nor would California end the mandate, since people would need those cars more than ever. I'm surprised you didn't mention the EV1, which could have become the symbol of the late 90s.

My guess is that in 2004, the majority of Muslims in America would support John Engler, because of his stern anti-UIS stance. But by 2008, since Lebed at least keeps his guns out of American interests, and since GM and other companies are making a fortune in the Russian market, John Engler doesn't really do anything to the UIS, and many Muslims would be dismayed by this fact. To emphasize the fact that Engler is a pragmatic Republican who doesn't want to create another crisis that destroyed the auto industry.

THE WORLD AFTER ZHIRINOVSKY: THE MAGHREB
Ok folks, a little Christmas present for you guys. A short spin off of Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire. It's just a one day thing, and if I don't get "Bleeding Florida" up soon Unknown will drive down to New Mexico and throw things at me. But I didn't want to post Bleeding Florida before the new year's, and I figured this would be something that a few of you might be interested in...

So, what we have here is a look at how TTLs Arab Spring ends up, as well as a little bit of info on Engler (I've had a few requests there) and Lebed's Presidency. And we see that in Libya, things are...well, a mess.

Some new names in this update:

Ansar al-Sharia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansar_al-Sharia_(Libya)

Info on Gaddafi's use of African Mercs during the civil war:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/feb/22/gaddafi-mercenary-force-libya

Info on the location of oil fields in Libya:
http://crudeoilpeak.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Libya_Oil_Gas_Fields_WEO_2005.jpg

Brega:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brega

Ajdabiya:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajdabiya

Zuwarah:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuwarah

Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saif_al-Islam_Gaddafi

Warfalla Tribe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfalla

Ghadames:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghadames

Some info on Berber-Arab relations in Libya and Algeria:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/03/world/meast/libya-berber-amazigh-renaissance/

Flag of Amazigh (Berber):
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14650257

Radical Islamic forces continue to pound Ghadamis as Berber community fear “genocide”

Last Updated: Friday, October 10, 2010 | 4:52 PM ET

kobane_zps17022a85.jpg

(Reuters) – Radical Islamic forces look poised to seize the village of Ghadamis near the border with Tunisia as local Berbers continue to call on the international community to stop the “coming genocide.”

“They will kill us all,” Ghadamis resident Mohammed Mourad told reporters as he fled across the border into Tunisia. “They will not stop until every Berber is dead.”

It is estimated that the radical jihadist group known as “Ansar al-Sharia” is now in control of over 25% of the village, including the historic old town. Ansar al-Sharia, which is also often referred to as “al-Harakat” (or the movement) first emerged in 2005 when they seized the city of Benghazi in a lightning raid that stunned Libyans and the international community. Thirty-five Americans and Westerners in the city were killed after the fall of Benghazi.

“Their power is through terror,” former American ambassador Chris Johnson said in an interview with the BBC last week, “and they are appealing to many disenfranchised Muslims the world over. But their radical interpretation of Islam has alienated many Libyans, including the secular Berbers.”

Clashes between Berbers and al-Harakat began in 2005 as well, after the long persecuted Berbers began to take advantage of the power vacuum in Libya to reestablish their own national identity. In the city of Zuwarah, the predominant Berber population quickly reestablished the Berber language and even began to fly the flag of Amazigh over government buildings, much to the chagrin of the central government in Tripoli.

“Under Kaddafi the Berbers were badly oppressed,” Johnson added, “their language was outlawed and their cultural traditions were prohibited. Once Kaddafi fell, they seized the opportunity to reestablish their culture.”

By 2005, with Libya descending into a deadly civil war, relations between the Berbers and Arabs boiled over.

“Race became an issue in Libya for the first time,” former American ambassador Chris Johnson said in an interview with the BBC last week, “it became even more controlling than tribalism. Libya was soon flooded with radical jihadists who could care less about what tribe you belonged to. They only cared about your religion and if what faction you backed. And in that regard the Berbers were seen as too secular, and very dangerous.”

Republicans slam Kennedy over “inaction” in Libya

In an interview on Fox News, former Vice President Elizabeth Dole slammed the man who defeated her in 2008, calling President Kennedy’s foreign policy in Libya “a complete mess.”

“We cannot ignore the plight of these innocent people in Ghadamis,” Dole said, “this is a moment that will very much define President Kennedy, and he needs to take steps to stop these radical jihadist from taking over the rest of the country. Right now over 90% of Libya is either controlled by radical Jihadist groups or by African troops loyal to Moscow. It is time for the United States to act.”

CNN interview with Dick Gephardt, Former House Majority Leader

July 26, 2010

CNN: Congressman Gephardt, President Kennedy was highly critical of President Engler’s handling of the crisis in Libya, calling it “weak and short sighted.” However, in the last two years the insurgency in Libya has exploded into a terrifying civil war that has killed over two hundred thousand people. Over 70% of Americans polled disapprove of President Kennedy’s handing of the war in Libya. Do you feel that he has made mistakes in regards to his handling of Libya?

Gephardt: Yes and no. For one thing, I really don’t feel that anyone really feels that Libya was dealing with only an “insurgency” after the fall of Benghazi in 2005. It was a civil war then, and it has remained so since. But to answer your question, many Republicans and Democrats alike were shocked and deeply stunned when President Engler announced that he was pulling U.S. personnel and peacekeepers out of Libya after the fall of Benghazi. He tried to defend it by comparing it to Ronald Reagan’s withdrawal of U.S. troops from Beirut back in 1982, but to a lot of us it looked like he was being railroaded by the libertarian wing of the Republican Party. Within a week the terrorist army of al-Harakat seized our abandoned embassy complex in Tripoli and proclaimed it their headquarters. They then set fire to flags and some portraits of President Engler that were left behind, something that was broadcast on every news network all over the world. We gave them a shot of adrenaline at that moment; we gave them legitimacy in the eyes of many radical Muslims.

CNN: Most Americans felt that Engler did the right thing at the time in withdrawing from Libya. Few were eager to get bogged down in another conflict in the Middle East while we were still looking for Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan and also sending troops into Iraq. And considering the UIS announced they were sending troops to Libya, it only hardened American opposition to sending troops into Libya.

Gephardt: And I never said send troops in. But airstrikes, real air strikes and not simply bombing our old embassy complex, would have castrated al-Harakat before they grew into the force they are today. But President Engler was never willing to push back against the UIS.

CNN: But the violence and the anarchy had only increased in the last two years. And like his predecessor, President Kennedy seems unwilling to commit troops to the region.

Gephardt: I know some Democrats have come out against President Kennedy’s handling of the crisis in Libya. I do think we should have more of a presence in the region, in particular with air strikes. But Libya was a simmering pot that finally boiled over last year.

Excerpts from the book “Come Hell or High Water: The Making of the Engler Presidency” by Carlton Williams.
Published by Random House © 2011

CHAPTER NINE: BEIRUT OR BUSH

By mid-2005 the skyrocketing poll numbers and bipartisan support for president Engler finally began to ebb. Although Engler was widely popular with Americans, with some polls having his approval ratings hovering around 80%, he was ultimately making enemies across the aisle as his began to push a more conservative economic agenda while also alienating many Republicans with his foreign policy.

“I don’t think any politician better summed up the phrase only Nixon could go to China better than President Engler,” commented former Tennessee Senator and U.S. Attorney General Lamar Alexander. “He had the gravitas early on to force his will on both parties. But once there was a crack in the dam, his opponents tried to seize the opportunity and knock him down a notch.”

The opportunity came in 2005 when Libya, a country that had struggled to maintain stability ever since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi, finally erupted into a civil war. After the United States began to bomb militias in Iraq with ties to al-Qaeda in early 2005, protests erupted across the Middle East with millions of Muslims condemning the move. But in Benghazi, where central government control was tenuous at best, anti-American protests soon spiraled into anarchy as the previously unknown terrorist group known as Ansar al-Sharia seized several Western and UIS businesses as well as the local police station. After executing an American employed by Chevron and broadcasting the execution on the internet, President Engler made the controversial decision to disengage from Libya.

“We discussed it with Secretary of State Colin Powell and we were all in agreement that Libya was a hornet’s nest and that we didn’t need to further stir the pot by sending in troops. We had troops in Afghanistan as part of a joint mission with the UIS. Then we sent the military into Iraq, again as part of a join operation with the UIS. We were agitating the entire region and we believed that if we sent American soldiers into Benghazi there would be a thousand other Benghazi’s before the end of the year.”

Several members of former President George W. Bush’s inner circle were openly clamoring for the United States to go into Libya and rout out the terrorists, something that put the President in a difficult position within his own party.

“He called the decision Beirut or Bush,” Alexander added. “Do we go in like George Bush’s cabinet wanted? Or do we pull out like Ronald Regan did in Beirut in 1982? At the end of the day, he elected to withdraw American troops and embassy personnel from Libya, a decision that has at times haunted him.”

The withdrawal of American peacekeepers (part of a small contingency of 100 that had been sent to the country by the UN shortly after the fall of Gaddafi) as well as the closure of the American embassy did initially embolden the little known terrorist organization that was regarded as little more than a radical offshoot of al-Qaeda. But across the globe the UIS was deeply troubled by the lawlessness in Libya, and also saw an opportunity to expand their control of the international oil market. Lost in the shuffle was the status of the city of Sirte, which saw a most unlikely figure reemerge. After the city fell to anti-Gaddafi rebels in 2002, it was looted by the angry rebels who long associated the opulence of the city with the cronyism of the Gaddafi regime. But within months it soon reemerged as a stronghold of the pro-Gaddafi resistance that regarded the new government in Tripoli with contempt.

“Several members of Gaddafi’s Warfalla tribe seized his son, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, shortly after the elder Gaddafi was executed in Tripoli,” commented Alex Smith, former advisor to the Pentagon. “But although Saif was under arrest in Sirte, they refused to turn him over to the transitional government. This ultimately turned Sirte into ground zero for the pro-Gaddafi resistance.”

By early 2005 the new government in Tripoli had lost control of Sirte as thousands of Gaddafi loyalists soon flooded into the city. By March of 2005 tensions finally boiled over.

“When Benghazi erupted the Gaddafi-loyalist stormed the local police station in Sirte and liberated Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi,” Smith added. “It soon triggered a relentless assault on Sirte by the central government, who seemed almost disinterested in Benghazi.”

The fierce assault on Sirte, a city that had already been badly damaged by the revolution in 2002, only emboldened the rebels. And on April 1, they received support from a valuable ally.

“UIS President Alexander Lebed announced that the UIS was recognizing the Gaddafi “transitional government,” Smith said. “Once they did that there was no hope for Libya.”

Within a week of the capture of Sirte the resurgent Gaddafi regime would receive aid from the most unlikely place as mercenaries with the International Strategic Resource Group flooded into the city. And by the end of the year the Russian Foreign Legion would be in de facto control of nearly half of the country.

"The new face of apartheid: African mercenaries in the Maghreb "
Foreign Affairs (5/04/14)
by William Hason

Libyaoil_mercs_zps3f5d798c.jpg

Moses Ncita bristles at the comparison even before I ask him the question.

“Jimmy Carter can go to Hell,” he says angrily, “I lived through apartheid! I experienced it every day as a child! But to him it is a word to be casually thrown around. Israel is an apartheid state?! Libya is an apartheid state?! Well he can go to Hell!”

Several pedestrians look in his general direction but say nothing. A few nod their head in approval. All of them are black.

“We are the victim of terrorism everyday and we have to take steps to protect ourselves and our families,” Ncita said as we pass by a sign hanging over a restroom sign in the small, dusty oil town of Brega in northern Libya. The town boasted a pre war population of nearly 7,000, but now sees its population stand at nearly twice than amount. However, its growth has come at a price. Over 90% of the town is now inhabited by members of the International Strategic Resource Group and Executive Outcomes, a mercenary army with strong ties to the UIS government. In fact, over half of the mercenaries are dual citizens of the UIS and their home country.

“As soon as we took control of Sirte in 2005 we formulated a strategy to restore the legitimate government of Libya,” Ncita added. “Secure Brega to the east, Muzrak to the south, and Al-Hamra to the west. We accomplished all three and castrated the opposition.”

The strategy was simple, but brutally efficient. Capture the oil fields of Libya and cut off the major source of income for the nation. But the importance of both Brega and the Sirte Basin was not lost on what was quickly emerging as the two leading opposition forces in the country: the struggling “Transitional Government of National Unity” and the suddenly resurgent Ansar al-Sharia, which captured several key towns in 2005, including Benghazi. Although their ability to hold territory was initially weak, they proved to be a dangerous foe.

“We perhaps underestimated them,” Ncita admitted, “the Libyan National Army was trying desperately to dislodge us, and they were focusing almost exclusively on the government forces. We saw them as doing our dirty work. But alas, once they gained enough strength, they struck.”

In July of 2008, the shaky and unwritten ceasefire came to an end when forces loyal to Ansar al-Sharia seized the city of Ajdabiya in a lightning raid that caught many of the Africans off guard.

“Although Ansar al-Sharia was unable to defeat the government forces in the western part of the country, the fact that we controlled the center of the nation allowed them to consolidate power in the east. We weren’t fighting with them directly, and we underestimated the threat…to our detriment.”

The fall of the Gaddafi held city of Ajdabiya led to an orgy of violence against the thousands of black Africans who had made Ajdabiya their home. Videos soon surfaced all over the internet of atrocities committed by the predominantly Arab jihadist against the predominantly black mercenaries. Hundreds were seen being loaded up on the back of Toyota pickup trucks begging for their lives, and before long even more disturbing videos would emerge.

libya3_zps56c95d5c.jpg

“I saw several friends on those videos,” Ncita admitted, “people I knew…friends. To see them executed in such barbaric fashion was horrifying.”

Videos of mass-executions soon exploded across the internet, but as is often the case with brutality, it had the unintended consequence of emboldening those that it meant to terrify.

libya1_zps84264729.jpg

“Many of the mercenaries were getting burned out in Libya,” Ncita admitted. “Most were dual citizens of the UIS and they had made a small fortune selling Libyan oil on the black market, or by shutting down the oil industry entirely. The UIS didn’t care so much if Libya was producing oil or not, they just cared about manipulating Libya’s output to prevent the overall price of oil to drop. But after Ajdabiya it changed. Everything changed. This was now our home, and we were not going to let them drive us from it.”

The Battle of Brega soon followed, and although the ISRG-EO was able to repeal the radical jihadist army, they were unable to dislodge them from Ajdabiya until 2010. But by then Ansar al-Sharia began a campaign of terror to try and shake the will of the mercenaries.

“We all lived in Brega,” Ncita added, “many of us brought our families with us. We had homes and cars and money and lived the life we never had back in Johannesburg, or Monrovia, or Kinshasa. But then the Arabs began to target us.”

Terrorist attacks became a weekly occurrence, with bus bombings becoming shockingly commonplace.

“I remember when they set off a bomb on a school bus,” Ncita said sadly, “a dozen children killed because the bus driver was a terrorist.”

Weekly bombings at discothèques, gas stations, and even schools made the town virtually unlivable, as all thirty public buses were destroyed in a six week stretch. But in response to the terrorist threat, the UIS backed militia did something that proved highly controversial: they instituted a series of ordinances that turned the Sirte Basin into a literal apartheid state. Arabs were forced out of town like Brega en masse, and in the liberated city of Ajdabiya, a series of prohibitions were enacted. These prohibitions seemed to be based on the very system of apartheid that men like Moses Ncita spent their whole lives fighting against. Signs prohibiting Arabs from entering buildings would soon pop up all over the city, as well as separate buses for “Arabs only.” When terrorists switched to car bombs pulling up next to military vehicles, the entire Arab population of Ajdabiya was prohibited from driving any motor vehicle whatsoever.

“The jihadists already prohibited their women from driving,” Ncita spat out angrily, “we just expanded it to include Arab men also.”

The targeting of anyone with lighter skin may have led to security in Brega, but it has led to more violence across the country and has, ironically enough, helped to weaken the central government. It is estimated that the government has now lost control of over 90% of the country to over a dozen groups, including the mercenaries who nominally back Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi and the terrorists who back Ansar Al-Sharia.

“Most of the fighters with Ansar Al-Sharia are foreigners also,” Ncita added, “they come from Syria, and Tunisia, and even England. And look what they do to people in the towns they control?! But nobody cares about that. No, just us, and how we make Arabs ride their own bus so we don’t have to worry if they are a terrorist or not.”

Despite earning criticism from numerous human rights groups and former US President Jimmy Carter, the mercenaries of Libya appear well entrenched. In fact, in much of central Libya they make up the overwhelming majority. But for men like Moses Ncita, even the true nature of their presence in Libya is at times hard to deny. Walking past a sign that says “no Arabs allowed” Ncita reflects, for just a moment, on how his life has come full circle.

“I remember talking to a friend of mine from Rwanda who fought here a few years ago.” Ncita admitted. “He was amazed at how just a dozen years ago he was hiding under his bed hoping that the Hutus didn’t kill him. He remembered how it was a Muslim reporter from Britain that saved his life and snuck him out of the country. He later became part of the “Libyan Federal Police Force-Anti Terrorism Unit,” a unit whose sole purpose was to find radical jihadists and to…eliminate the threat they posed. He found these three Chechens and this Pakistani that day…they were hiding in a closet in the home of this Arab with suspected terrorist ties. Well, we automatically kill all the Chechens and Pakistanis we find. We know that the only reason that a Chechen would be in Libya is to fight with the terrorists. But he told me something that really stayed with me. He said the Pakistani boy looked just like the Pakistani reporter who saved his life. He even had a similar scar on his eyebrow that looked like it came from a boxing match. He knew it wasn’t the same man, it couldn’t be. This boy was maybe 19-years old. But he couldn’t get that mans face out of his mind while he strangled the terrorist with a piano wire and by the end of it he was weeping. He said he realized that he had become the monster that he grew up fearing…that he was no better than the Hutus. He said he just wanted to go home….that he was done with the violence and the killing. I called him a silly old woman, but I won’t lie. Sometimes I wonder if he was onto something. A victim can also become a perpetrator if he can’t control the hate in his heart. Victimhood doesn’t make you immune to evil. Sometimes I wonder…are we all just monsters now?”

Just to keep this all together, I am posting this here (originally started a new thread on this but in hind sight I should have kept it all together in this thread).