In my opinion the definition of the Western world after the Cold War is controversial. But I see that all of the Americas (Latin and Anglo-Saxon), Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand, Israel and perhaps South Africa are Western nations. I would like to know why some consider South Korea and Japan part of the West and others do not consider Latin America, with Latin America having the largest number of Catholics in the world and Brazil being the largest Catholic country in the world, the Southern Cone Region Is considered the whitest region of South America.
Brazil, Speaking portuguese, to have been united to the opposite of Spanish America, different from Spanish America, is considered more Western and closer to Europe and the United States than to Spanish America, Brazil that even has a term to call the Mestizos are called "pardos" and not Latinos.

I would like to know the opinion of you Which are the western nations and which historical facts make the nations to be or not the west

Westerncultures.map2015 (1).png

Countries with 50% or more Christians are colored purple while countries with 10% to 50% Christians are colored pink

Christian_world_map.png

Legal systems of the world
Map_of_the_Legal_systems_of_the_world_(en).png

The Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance was signed in 1947 in Rio de Janeiro among many countries of the Americas. The central principle contained in its articles is that an attack against one is to be considered an attack against them all; This was known as the "hemispheric defense" doctrine. The treaty was initially created in 1947 and came into force in 1948, in accordance with Article 22 of the treaty. The Bahamas was the most recent country to sign and ratify it in 1982. ''
A view of this treaty that it can be compared with the treaties of Asus and Nato see that the former members like Bolivia, Cuba and Venezuela are no longer part, not even Mexico is part, but Nations like Argentina Brazil Uruguay and Chile are part. What would the comparison of this treaty with NATO

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-American_Treaty_of_Reciprocal_Assistance

Rio_Pact_members (1).png

''Mercosur or is a sub-regional bloc. Its full members are Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela (who was suspended on December 1, 2016).
Its associate countries are Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and Suriname.Observer countries are New Zealand and Mexico.
Its purpose is to promote free trade and the fluid movement of goods, people, and currency. The official languages are Spanish, Portuguese and Guarani. It has been updated, amended, and changed many times since. It is now a full customs union and a trading bloc. Mercosur and the Andean Community of Nations are customs unions that are components of a continuing process of South American integration connected to the Union of South American Nations.''

MERCOSUR+Candidate_countries_(orthographic_projection).svg.png

Here are some visions of people who consider the Western world.
Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

'' The clash of civilizations according to Samuel P. Huntington (1996), as presented in the book. Huntington's map of great civilizations. What constitutes Western civilization in his view is dark blue, though he considers that Latin America (shown in purple) may be either an additional part of the West or a separate civilization similar to that of the West. Turkey, Russia and Mexico [42] were considered "torn countries" that are either already part of the West or in the process of uniting the West "
Samuel shows Greece as an Orthodox.

How can Greece be the cradle of the West not part of the West?
It shows the Guianas being a mixture of civilizations

Clash_of_Civilizations_map (1).png

''Views on Turkey
Turkey, an EU candidate and member state of NATO, in the European Union–Turkey Customs Union.
According to Samuel P. Huntington, Turkey, whose political leadership has systematically tried to Westernize the predominantly Muslim country with only 3% of its territory within Europe since the 1920s, is his chief example of a "torn country" that is attempting to join Western civilization. The country's elite started the Westernization efforts, beginning with Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, who took power as the first president of the modern Turkish nation-state in 1923, imposed western institutions and dress, removed the Arabic alphabet and embraced the Latin alphabet, joined NATO, and are seeking to join the European Union since the 1960s with very slow progress.
In a 2012 interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski by the English-language Turkish daily newspaper, Today's Zaman, the former United States national security adviser also stated that Turkey is part of the West despite its religious diversity.''

I would like to know the opinion of you Which are the western nations and which historical facts make the nations to be or not the west

Last edited:
I believe that there are two differing definitions of "Western countries."

Cultural: Generally used to describe nations that are either in the New World or are European Chrstian in heritage (i.e. Europe +/- Russia, ANZAC, South Africa).

Political: Nations that are governed by political structures that were born out of the European Enlightenment. Thus Japan and South Korea are considered as "Western" since they are governed by liberal democratic states (which were first found in Europe.

missouribob

Banned
Political: Nations that are governed by political structures that were born out of the European Enlightenment. Thus Japan and South Korea are considered as "Western" since they are governed by liberal democratic states (which were first found in Europe.
I consider this definition to fit better. I would definitely consider Japan and South Korea as part of the "West."

I consider this definition to fit better. I would definitely consider Japan and South Korea as part of the "West."

Of course, I bristle at the thought of labelling liberal democracy as "Western governance." It implies that it is improper for non-Whites to be governed by such models or that people within non-Western communities are somehow raciallly/culturally disloyal and trying to import foregin ideals that are universal.

Last edited:
Of course, I bristle at the thought of labelling liberal democracy as "Western governance." It implies that it is improper for non-Whites to be governed by such models or that people within non-Western communities are somehow raciallly/culturally disloyal and trying to import foregin ideals that are universal.

It also ignores how the ideals of liberal democracy has become indigenized by the peoples themselves...
In fact, a major impetus for anti-colonial sentiment is that these ideals, though ostensibly universal, only applied to white Europeans at first...