The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

marathag

Banned
I do not see this as a big rallying point. Unlike Pearl Harbor war had been declared (and by the British) and now the empire is not able to protect Vancouver.
That's a rallying cry in itself 'what good is it to be a Dominion in the Empire,we were left defenseless by the Royal Navy'

90% of the anger would be directed towards the Germans, but some anger is going to be inward-looking.... "How could we be caught soooo flat-footed???". Questions will be asked, and the truthful answers probably not well received.
And you can bet that much of that anger directed at the Germans will be stoked by politicians and bureaucrats at various levels desperately trying to keep the inward-looking question from being asked of them.

Hmmm I think I found a suitable candidate for the RCN of this timeline to acquire for their flagship in the interwar period. HMS Euphrates as she was cancelled just after the war ended in 1918 and by all accounts her two completed sisters did good service. Maybe add another E-class cruiser or two as well to the trio that were ordered otl as well with them being explicitly ordered for the RCN and the Euphrates being acquired when the RN didn't want her.

Last edited:
Interestingly, by today's laws, the field pieces in residential streets could have been a war crime...
And ironically, if the raider had shelled those artillery pieces, they would have been in the right. The fact they didn't speaks volumes about their ethics.

Another great chapter. Hope they make it to the US to be interned - and become legends.

And ironically, if the raider had shelled those artillery pieces, they would have been in the right. The fact they didn't speaks volumes about their ethics.

Another great chapter. Hope they make it to the US to be interned - and become legends.
Heck if they make it to a neutral port to be interned I wonder how they could affect interwar German politics.

Honestly, this is part of why I think Canada would view the Nuremburgers as some variant of a "noble enemy".

----

Using shrapnel shells against naval targets is an interesting move. I dont know if it would be worse for the cruiser or not, but an increased area of effect could be the deciding factor for green gun crews.

Heck if they make it to a neutral port to be interned I wonder how they could affect interwar German politics.

And I hope they sink ignominiously.

As to their "ethics", they appear to be firing warning shots so close to firing on a shipyard that not even Usain Bolt would be able to get out of the bowels of a ship in the yard or from the top of a crane in time. I would be more understanding if they simply fired on the shipyard (a legitimate target) right off instead of firing a "warning" shot that appears to be more about salving their own conscience rather than giving adequate warning.

They are on a death ride into the middle of an enemy harbour to destroy what they can. Embrace the role rather than indulge in cheap theatrics that have no practical effect.

And I hope they sink ignominiously.

As to their "ethics", they appear to be firing warning shots so close to firing on a shipyard that not even Usain Bolt would be able to get out of the bowels of a ship in the yard or from the top of a crane in time. I would be more understanding if they simply fired on the shipyard (a legitimate target) right off instead of firing a "warning" shot that appears to be more about salving their own conscience rather than giving adequate warning.

They are on a death ride into the middle of an enemy harbour to destroy what they can. Embrace the role rather than indulge in cheap theatrics that have no practical effect.
Honestly, this is part of why I think Canada would view the Nurenburgers as some variant of a "noble enemy".

I would expect a variety of sympathies from the readers. I do not think the ITTL recipients of the German's bombardment would feel affection towards their tormentors.

0920 hours:
The cruiser passed through the Second Narrows and hugged the south shore of the harbour. Signal flags flew from her masts, and as she passed each moored ship in turn she sounded her siren, signaled with Morse light and semaphore, and fired a warning shot into the water near each ship’s bow. Milligan was sure her photographic prints would be able to be blown up so that the signal flags could be read later, by someone who knew such things. The reporter noticed the ships she knew to be Japanese or American were not challenged with warning shots. The cruiser made a clockwise circuit around Burrard Inlet this way, moving much too fast for safety but, Milligan reflected, none of the other actions the Germans were taking were safe either.... Once the German had fired her warning shot at the Glenstrae at Wallace shipyard, the cruiser raced eastward, then began a second circuit of the harbour.
0950 hours:
Von Schönberg looked at the moored liners at their wharves, then turned and looked across the harbour at the tall sheds and timbered structures of the shipyard on the north shore, 5000 meters distant, with the freighter SS Glenstrae sitting up on the ways. “Gunnery! Have the battery on the lee side take that shipyard under fire. Give them an extra couple of warning shots first.
It seems like Von Schönberg was concerned that his previous round of warning shots and warnings by signal flag, semaphore, and morse light to the shipyard had happened too long ago so he was concerned the Canadians might have forgotten about them, so he ordered another couple of warning shots to be fired before starting the bombardment in earnest.

It seems like Von Schönberg was concerned that his previous round of warning shots and warnings by signal flag, semaphore, and morse light to the shipyard had happened too long ago so he was concerned the Canadians might have forgotten about them, so he ordered another couple of warning shots to be fired before starting the bombardment in earnest.

I admit I missed that. I thought the second round of warning shots were the only ones.

With these changed circumstances, I could see the Kaiser browbeating von Tirpitz and von Ingenohl along the lines of: " Look the damage our small ships are doing. Look what our fine Army is doing... What are all those great battleships doing???"
I've often wondered what would be the outcome of a no retreat Jutland battle where Germany has the mentality of 'use em or lose em' with the High Seas Fleet. I don't want to hijack this thread but wonder how that might have changed the look of the war.

Yeah, the inhabitants of Vancouver are not going to think "Oh, those nice German boys were so noble to only machine gun the Canadian lads defending our homes and livelihoods instead of dropping shells on them."

They are going to think "Those bastards destroyed the place where I work and wrecked our harbor and killed good Canadian boys!"

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I've often wondered what would be the outcome of a no retreat Jutland battle where Germany has the mentality of 'use em or lose em' with the High Seas Fleet. I don't want to hijack this thread but wonder how that might have changed the look of the war.
Perhaps not the war - if both sides end up with mere shadows of their fleets on the morning of 31 July 1916, there's not much they can do to the other.

Post-war though is a different kettle of fish. The driver behind the Washington Naval Treaty disappears as there is no potential naval arms race between the USN & RN. Attention will focus upon Japan's 8-8 plan.

Perhaps not the war - if both sides end up with mere shadows of their fleets on the morning of 31 July 1916, there's not much they can do to the other.

Post-war though is a different kettle of fish. The driver behind the Washington Naval Treaty disappears as there is no potential naval arms race between the USN & RN. Attention will focus upon Japan's 8-8 plan.

Agreed. If GB has a shell of it's fleet the government goes to the public and says 'We need more' so they can rebuild the fleet I don't think that will go over too well. The London Treaty was GB's political way out of spending the money to upgrade their current fleet which they knew had many flaws.

Their inability to protect their dominions is what this TL is proving....

Last edited:

You do remember that the British and Japanese had a (naval/alliance) treaty prior to WNT (that was dissolved by the WNT on US insistentence)?

Driftless

Donor

Good question.

As a secondary issue, I'd guess in a full-on brawl, the lighter armored ships (the BC's and AC's) are disproportionately damaged and it brings the validity of the Battlecruiser idea into question - from both a technical and financial review standpoint. Basically, are they up to the task, or were they misused, and are they worth the great cost if they're that fragile?

The Armored Cruisers were on their way out anyway, so if they take a worse pounding, it just reinforces the point.

ferdi254

Banned
Yep but that assumes that they could.. and OTL showed they did not. Of course not impossible but if the HSF could make the RN spend 5 mio tons of fuel the RN is out of that stuff.

Last edited: