The Northern Colossus: A Manchester-wank CFTL

Town-Hall-Bee-1-472x264.jpg

Foreword

This is my humble attempt at a different kind of TL. Those who are familiar with my previous Timelines, A History of the Pontic Empire and With The Crescent Above Us will be aware that they went for a broad stroke, and did indeed concentrate considerably on war. While I had lots of fun writing them (at least for a while) I did want to concentrate more on other developments, and especially with Crescent, I feel that the scale of the TL grew so quickly and without proper organization that even I had difficulty keeping up with it.

So, this is in many ways an attempt to build a TL on a more relatable scale. I find the format of a TLIAD to be a bit too limiting, so I thought of a CFTL, or city focused timeline as a format. This won't be a TL over in a week or so, and will be closer to Crescent in terms of the number and length of updates rather than a TLIAD, which is why I went for the conceited hipster route and created my own acronym. I also wanted to see a TL in which the city I was born in an spent a good chunk of my life in achieves its historical destiny, rather than spending most of the 20th century falling into ruin. So this will be a unashamed wank of Manchester. (and possibly its better football team) but I'm going to at least try and make it as plausible as possible. So here goes...)

I should also note that this Timeline will largely disregard the butterfly effect. To cover so many changes in the world would turn this into a regular Timeland rather than the city focused one I am aiming for, which is the reason for this.

Last edited:
Peterloo_Massacre.png

The Battle of Peterloo​

The air around St Peter’s Field was thick with tension. It seemed as if half of Manchester had arrived, to hear words that were not so far removed from what the revolutionaries of France had been preaching thirty years before. Henry Hunt, the famed radical orator was the main attraction but for many people, it was an opportunity to show the dissatisfaction that they held for the corrupt and unfair system in Westminster. Many were advocating ideas that were considered a kind of secular heresy by the British political establishment, such as universal suffrage. Those on the fringes of the radical movement went as far to advocate the right of women to vote, a very radical notion to early 19th century Britain indeed! To those on St Peter’s Field though, and to their decedents, what they would ask for was not radical, but indeed the birth right of anyone born in a free nation.

In this response to what were seen as radical elements possibly bent on revolution, the local authorities were on hand to ensure that the crowd did not become too agitated. Some of these authorities, however, included armed soldiers, many of whom had fought at Waterloo just four years prior. These were men trained to react decisively and with deadly force in the event of conflict. The special constables, who were closer to the crowd became more and more nervous as the crowd became further excitable with each speech that was delivered. Although a previous rally in Birmingham had passed largely without incident, the spectre of revolution breaking out amidst the crowd was a frightful one.

The day appeared to come closer to culmination when Henry Hunt began to address the crowd. Scathing words aimed at parliament and indeed the soldiers surrounding the gathering, producing a great amount of emotion in the crowd and further contributing to the nervousness of the authorities. Finally, a decision was made to end Hunt’s speech, in order to avoid the chance that he would whip the crowd into a destructive frenzy. The Special Constables made an attempt, but the crowd fought back, killing two of the Constables trying to make the attempt. This would turn out to be the trigger for the bloodiest day in Mancunian History.

Upon seeing the violence of the crowd in preventing the arrest of Mr Hunt, the Yeomanry attempted to break up the crowd, though this resulted in them being thrown back by stone throwing from the mob. It was now decided that deadly force was needed to bring the crowd to submission. Screaming could be heard, weapons were drawn and the mob now descended into a gigantic melee. The mounted Yeomanry, which had been kept around two hundred and fifty meters away, were now sent into action to break up the crowd. However, the slashing of their sabres and the men and women trampled by their horses ensured that St Peter’s Field would become even more stained with blood. Members of the mob were able to forcibly dismount a number of the mounted Yeomanry and brutally bludgeon them to death with whatever crude instruments were available.

For the remainder of the Yeomanry, this was the final straw. Now their muskets fired volleys into the assembled crowds, killing and wounding dozens, and then hundreds. The mob however was duly chastised by the fire of the Yeomanry, and fled north into the streets of Manchester, hoping to find an escape from the bloodbath which the gathering at St Peter’s Field had degenerated into. While some of the mounted Yeomanry chased these unfortunates through the streets of Manchester, the majority of the troops at the scene were content with having quelled, at least for the time being, what appeared to be a brewing revolution.

However, over two hundred people, protestors and Yeomanry, had died that day on St Peter’s Field, in what would later be known half-jokingly as the “Battle of Peterloo”, referring to famous last battle of Napoleon in which both some protesters and magistrates had fought in. Although the feared spectre of Revolution would be averted by the manoeuvres of Parliament following the General Election, the events of the 16th of August would have large ramifications not only for Manchester, but for the United Kingdom as a whole.

This will be interesting.
Hopefully, if Peterloo is more important than OTL, it will get a better monument.

Ooh, this looks fun!
It will be hopefully!
This will be interesting.
Hopefully, if Peterloo is more important than OTL, it will get a better monument.
One can only hope. Considering the significance of the event in OTL, I think the representation of it is very poor. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to include a memorial in the Town Hall, but were scared that some would take offence. :rolleyes:

Detail_House_of_Commons.JPG

Tony Chua; March Toward Democracy? British Politics from the 18th Century to the Present (Liverpool University Press: 2009)

The Fallout of Peterloo and the Great Reform Acts

The noise of the fighting in the Battle of Peterloo had been loud in Manchester. They were just as loud in other provincial cities such as Liverpool and Birmingham, but most of all they represented a possibly fatal challenge to the ruling elite in London. There had been an element of complacency following the defeat of Napoleon and the forces of revolution on the continent, as the Ancien Regime had been upheld across Europe and British power ruled supreme outside of it. However, with the growing challenge of radical politics in the industrial cities of the United Kingdom, the elite were unable to savour their victory for too long.

In addition to the challenges to the Status Quo from the radicals, the political establishment also had to contend with increasing amounts of opposition from the growing and more respectable middle classes, many of whom felt alienated from the existing structure of power in the United Kingdom. Many were non-conformist rather than Anglican, and were unsatisfied with merely being brought into the system as many an enterprising gentleman had done in the 18th century. Instead, they wanted high society to change in order to accommodate them. Although this section of society was not as feared as the radicals, the King and the Tory government both recognized the threat to the establishment that the non-conformist middle classes presented to the traditional order in the United Kingdom.

However, the impetuous that would lead to the establishment’s acceptance of these nonconformists to positions of power was not present yet. Although the Whigs saw the nonconformist middle classes as a bastion against the anarchy that would ensue if the Radicals made a successful attempt at revolution, as well as against their Tory opponents in parliament, their numbers were not great enough to force parliament’s hand. In addition to this, King George IV was solidly against any hit of power sharing. The impetus would come with the surprisingly quick onset of Catholic emancipation in 1826. Triggered by a number of events in Ireland, the most important of which had involved a district electing a Catholic MP (who was ineligible to take his seat), the Catholic emancipation act enabled Catholics to enjoy, at least in theory, the same rights to which Anglicans were entitled to.

Although the Jacobites were no longer a part of living memory, the fear of Catholicism’s influence in politics was still palpable among the British Establishment. Now would be the time for the Whigs to bring the middle classes into power, and stave off the brewing revolution in the North and Midlands of England. Earl Grey was appointed as Prime Minister in 1826, by a King George who had reluctantly decided to try the carrot as opposed to the stick in dealing with what he saw as the twin headed hydra of Radicalism and Catholicism. Grey embarked on developing what he envisioned as a significant, if not quite revolutionary change to the way that British parliament, especially the House of Commons, functioned.

However, the reform acts of 1826 were rather underwhelming in comparison to Grey’s earlier plans. Although the eradication of the “Rotten Boroughs” was agreed upon, and cities such as Manchester and Birmingham given parliamentary representation for the first time, the Whigs suffered setbacks in their reform agenda too. In particular, Grey was unable to extend the franchise of the vote to any noticeable degree. Although this would be rectified in the 1830s, this represented a blow for Grey and the Whigs, who saw their attempt to bring the increasingly prosperous middle classes into politics thrwarted, at least for the time being. Nevertheless, with the beginnings of the devolution of political power to the cities of the UK, the Whigs had inadvertently given an alternate focus for the efforts of Radicals, and to a limited extent the Middle Classes too. Civic government was to be a focus for authority, and would do much simultaneously to weaken Westminster, while saving it from revolution and enabling it to avoid significant changes to its composition, at least for the time being.

This trend toward the encouragement of local government would be continued with the passing of the “Municipal Corporations” act later on in 1826, which allowed cities in the UK additional measures of self-government. Although limited to existing boroughs for the time being, it was not long before large cities such as Manchester and Leeds that were not formally incorporated also gained their own municipal corporations. The Reform Acts of 1826 were a failure in their original aim to broaden the social base of elite institutions in the South of England, but did succeed in turning the attention of revolutionaries away from Britain’s bases of central power and toward the improvement of their own local areas. This would do much to relieve the political tension that had been growing in the past few decades. Additionally, this would be one of the factors which reversed the domination that London had been able to garner over the other cities of the United Kingdom in the previous centuries.

frlmerrin

Banned
This is potentially a very interesting time-line, which I shall be reading regularly. I'm just not sure how one wanks 19th Century Manchester? The place was a Colossus!

In 1836 Trafford Park produced more manufactured goods than the whole of the rest of the world!
It was the terminus of the world's first passenger railway.
The Union movement began to unify there with its first Congress.

Wanking Manchester will take some effort in the superlatives department. I wish you good luck.

This is potentially a very interesting time-line, which I shall be reading regularly. I'm just not sure how one wanks 19th Century Manchester? The place was a Colossus!

In 1836 Trafford Park produced more manufactured goods than the whole of the rest of the world!
It was the terminus of the world's first passenger railway.
The Union movement began to unify there with its first Congress.

Wanking Manchester will take some effort in the superlatives department. I wish you good luck.

By keeping it that strong rather than letting it collapse, I guess?
The changes in Manchester are not going to be so noticeable for the common man until later on in the 19th century. The reason for the very early POD was that I wanted things to be relatively plausible. As Owen guessed though, the TL will mainly be about avoiding Manchester's decline in the 20th century, as well as setting her up as the unquestioned Second City of the UK, rather than the weird thing we have going with Birmingham in OTL.

In my humble... fuck Birmingham. Take us for a ride old boy. Bonus points if our smoking spot becomes internationally renowned. :D

Interesting approach. Subscribed.
Keeping in mind your last TL, it will surely become Ottomanchester? (Ducks and runs away to escape the pun police.)

In my humble... fuck Birmingham. Take us for a ride old boy. Bonus points if our smoking spot becomes internationally renowned. :D
I might give it a little cameo here. Safe to say that the Rusholme of TTL will be unrecognizable and very similar to the Rusholme we know and love.
Interesting approach. Subscribed.
Keeping in mind your last TL, it will surely become Ottomanchester? (Ducks and runs away to escape the pun police.)
While a Ottoman offensive in WW1 that somehow manages to seize Manchester would certainly be unique, it isn't what I quite have planned for this. ;)
A Boddington's in every pub and bar in every city of the world?
Well, certain Mancunian businesses will be more prominent globally. And since to many a hard working man from the North, beer is the only escape from brutal reality, it is likely to be among said businesses.
Coronation Street becomes an international blockbuster. That would make my mother very happy.:)
Ah, but the very conception of what "Northern Culture" is will be different in a world where "It's grim oop North" isn't an actual phrase. Coronation street would likely be a different beast in some ways.

porticoM.jpg

Alan Masterson; Manchester: The First Modern Metropolis (Manchester University Press, 2011)

The Roots of Mancunian Culture

For many around the world, the images that come to mind when one speaks of “England” is the England of Oxford, London and the South East. The Elite of England since the 17th century had largely been Anglican, tied to a handful of ancient institutions like the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. However, it is not this cultural establishment that gave rise to the Industrial Revolution, the processes that made England and the rest of the United Kingdom into an economic colossus, the likes of which had never been seen before on the planet. Many of the important inventors and businessmen who began the industrial revolution had not been educated in the great universities of Oxford or Cambridge, but had largely built their achievements on a more practical basis. These “practical men” not only triggered the industrial revolution, but in Manchester particularly gave rise to one of the world’s most successful counter-cultures.

The roots of this culture were humble indeed. Although Manchester was economically prosperous during the 18th century, there was very little in the way of culture. Those who had the means instead focused on London, thinking of Manchester as a cultural backwater. There were few steps made to remedy this in the later 18th century, even as Manchester expanded from a provincial backwater into a booming industrial town. The Manchester Literary and Philosophical society was formed in 1781. Institutions such as this were joined by the Portico Library of 1806. These institutions, although not much compared to the many intellectual societies and amenities that could be found in London, were widely considered to be the basis for Middle-Class Mancunian culture throughout the 19th century.

As Manchester’s economy reached meteoric rates of growth in the early 19th century, Manchester’s Middle Class grew correspondingly. However, Manchester was far more famous for the legendary disorder of the working classes. Although the sympathies of many had been with the working class following the Battle of Peterloo, the crime and general rambunctiousness of the Mancunian working classes soon drowned out the image of the virtuous and informed working classes created in the aftermath of Peterloo with one focused on their drunkenness and debauchery. Crime in Manchester was no worse than in working class neighbourhoods of London, but nevertheless for the first few decades of the 19th century, Manchester would be known as one of the rowdiest cities in the United Kingdom.

However, even as Manchester became notorious for the uncultured ways of its workers, many institutions that would later grow into important bastions of the city were founded. Following the foundation of the Manchester City Corporation in 1827, the number of natively Mancunian organizations began to increase exponentially. The Corporation increased the funding of educational institutions in the city, and was a major backer behind the Manchester Technical College, a college which focused almost exclusively on the sciences while neglecting traditional subjects such as Theology and Classical languages. This joined the previous “Mechanics Institute in Manchester”, and would later be joined by the Owen’s College as the flagship higher-education institutions in the city.

The growth at the upper end of education was mirrored by investment into its primary stages. A large number of new schools were built throughout Manchester, with the ground-breaking premise of a free education. This was something that would not be seen in the rest of the United Kingdom for decades. Despite this attraction, the parents of many working-class children preferred to have their children work for most of the day, which provided an income for the family that school did not. Children would not be free to focus on school for quite some time, until the Westminster government gradually eradicated child labour. However, by no means was the provision of education in Manchester in the early 19th century a failure, as evidenced by the fact that around 50% of school-aged children in Manchester were attending a primary school by 1840.

This development was inspired by the middle classes of Manchester, who saw the apparent “uncultured” ways of the working class to be caused poor education. The “Society for the Advancement of the People” was one of these largely middle-class organizations which attempted to influence the way that working people in Manchester behaved. They saw the war against disorder as being fought with two weapons, namely the Manchester City Police and the Manchester Educational Board. Although many of the members of these societies were religious, they rejected the system of Sunday Schools which provided education in the rest of the United Kingdom as inadequate. Although it would not be until later in the 19th century that school were seen primarily as a way to increase the quality of Manchester’s workforce, many believed that a basis for the understanding of the physical world should be part of the education of children. However, it should be remembered that despite the praises of later secularists, it was still the belief of many in Manchester’s elite that morals should be derived from religion rather than from human knowledge.

Toward the middle of the 19th century, the impression of Manchester was beginning to shift. Although Alexander de Tocqueville found Manchester to be a “Sewer from which flows pure gold”, dominated by filth and smog, other visitors were reassessing their impressions of the city. The German social scientist Friedrich Engels, whose family operated a number of businesses in the city, contrasted the appalling health of the city with the “increasing high-mindedness and civilization of the middle class of the city”. The later Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli commented that “Manchester is not just a city, but indeed the harbinger of a new age, grounded as much on the machine as on man”. The impression that Manchester represented the dawn of a new age of urbanization was palpable both among its supporters and detractors.

The increased profile of Manchester was beginning to attract immigration not only from other areas of the United Kingdom, but from abroad too. The Germans brought a significant amount of business know-how, setting up businesses in a number of industries. Levantine Merchants set themselves up as middle-men between Egyptian cotton growers and Mancunian mill owners. Another significant group would be Jews, whose numbers would increase rapidly in the 1870s onwards. Although a fairly small minority in the early 19th century, Manchester’s Jewish population would go on to be a scientifically significant one in later years. But in terms of numbers, it was the Irish which dominated immigration to the city. The area around the River Medlock on Oxford Road was dominated by Irish neighbourhoods, and became a byword for squalor and deprivation. Immigration from outside Europe and the Mediterranean basin was still a long way into the future, though even in the first half of the 19th century Manchester was a multicultural city.

This positive view carried over to the increasingly proud elite of Manchester. The owners of the great cotton mills had stopped aspiring to join the traditional British elite in the South of the Nation. Although many attempted to carry the air of country gentlemen, this was largely done in houses in close proximity to Manchester rather than on estates in the South East. And perhaps more curiously, a number chose to build great houses on the outskirts of the city. A number can still be seen, particularly in Moss Side, which served as one of Manchester’s wealthiest neighbourhoods for much of the 19th century. The intelligentsia of Manchester proclaimed to be the leaders of a counter culture; an English identity that was forward-looking, embracing of sciences, urbanism and modernity and perhaps most importantly, one that was not centred on London.

Gonna take this to today?
That's the plan. The Manchester of 2015 in this TL is going to very different to our own, though not totally unrecognizable. Some elements that make this Manchester successful exist even in our own, though obviously not to the same scale.

Oh, and Market Street will still probably be an irredeemable dumping ground for all the wierdos that Manchester can find.

So it's MUP not UoM.

I see the start of UMIST - please don't fold it into Manchester Victoria, my parents would appreciate that! (though MUP implies that it won't be part of the Victoria league of federated universities)...

frlmerrin

Banned
So it's MUP not UoM.

I see the start of UMIST - please don't fold it into Manchester Victoria, my parents would appreciate that! (though MUP implies that it won't be part of the Victoria league of federated universities)...

The dissolution of UMIST in OTL was a sin against God and Man it must not happen in TTL!

So it's MUP not UoM.

Don't worry, Manchester will be even more saturated with higher educational institutions than OTL, and UMIST isn't going to go anywhere. They way that academia in Manchester evolves, the two Universities are going to develop a deeper rivalry that mirrors the more annoying aspects of debate over university subjects in OTL.
The dissolution of UMIST in OTL was a sin against God and Man it must not happen in TTL!
Or what, you're going to come and get me? Please... :p