What writing style do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis daughter would be nice but... why should he endanger his line taking a wife who is supposed to be barren by the doctors? He could end without any heir... and Philip of Burgundy sons will inherit everything... That in the situation in which both King Philip IV and his brother Louis will not survive and not have children of their own....
To risky. He want to get read of his wife and find another good one, young, fertile, from a big, really BIG house... but that's is in the future and the future look uncertain for now... for everybody.

It was just a random thought and plus just because she's sick doesn't mean she can't have a kid. You could spin a whole cliche tail about the brutish, bastard prince being civilized by the sickly, homely looking princess only to die in childbirth. hahahaha

The long and winding road home

The long and winding road home

Motto:
« Qui veut aller loin ménage sa monture ». Proverb

The year of the lord 1295, 9 March, Wednesday evening, near Pavia

That year, the winter was milder than other years and the spring seems to come earlier, therefore Edouard prepare his host for the march. They will leave next day. However, a change of the plans was needed. After two months in planning the crossing of the Alpes via the Southern sea route, Edouard convoked his captains and tell them that they need to change plan and adapt to the new realities. It was still early in the evening, but the darkness was already covering the camp. Edouard was standing in the middle of the barrack, having his wife Elizabeth next to him. His captains entered all in the room, surrounding the couple. They were all quiet, waiting for Edouard to speak first.

“My friends and brothers in arms”, started Edouard to speak after a long waiting, “as we have already decided, tomorrow we will leave for France. However, we need make some changes in the plans we had established. The enemy knows about them and is waiting for us. The sea route is blocked by a strong army.”

The captains started to rumours, speaking and looking one to another with concern. How on earth could they knew their plans?

“Do not worry, I was expecting this” continued Edouard. “After all, as I have spies, they also have. They sent a strong army to block the sea route, and therefore we will march further north.”

“But my Lord, If they have spies, then they will see us coming and will move troops in the mountains”

The one who speak was one of the eldest of the captains. He carried on his face the marks of his many years and countless campaigns. Named Etienne d’Aurillac, he commanded 400 men, most of them being from his natal Auvergne.

“And they will slaughter us as lambs!” complement him another captain under the agreement of everyone. “We could not force the mountains if they are well guarded.

“That’s the trick” said Edouard. “Let them believe that we are stupid and we will fall in their trap. Let them believe that we will cross thought the mountains. So they will move the bulk of their troops north and they will wait us there in the mountains to come. But we will not come. We will swing south with all speed and cross the lightly defended sea route before they could intervene”.

“Would it work?”

“It will, Sire d’Aurillac. We will send Knyaz Voicu of Baia and Knyaz[1] Saruch Egher with theirs Vlach and Cumans light horses to test the pass and trick them that we will indeed cross by there. They will catch up with us later.”

“My lord” said Elizabeth to the Cuman commander. “Raise to the heights of our forefathers. Do not disappoint me. Show them how the heirs of Genghis and Batu ride and fight”

Elizabeth was dressed in a long and beautifully decorated robe and carried on her shoulders a thick mantle who covered her down to her knees. Her long beautiful black heir was pulled back and tighten behind into a loop. Edouard looked at her, surprised that she haven’t asked to lead herself the vanguard! It was out of her character. Edouard have even prepared an answer to tell her that he needed her next to him. She seemed more beautiful than ever. Her skin was so fine and glossy. Her face was shining. Her breasts were pointing trough her dress. Have she get a little fatter? Edouard filled some remorse that he was not closed to his wife these later times, preferring the company of his mistress. But it was all her fault, calmed him his conscience. Especially this last month, she was always in bad mood and sickly and nervous and bad disposition. He just needed comfort and silence to prepare his movements.

“Our horses are swift like the wind, my Lady! We will hit them and disappear before they realize.” responded the Cuman Knyeaz.​

He too had Mongol and Turkic roots, visible on his oblique eyes, his beardless face, his short but well build stature and his body conformation, specific to men who lived on the saddle. On his shaved head he had a pointed helmed decorated with horse heir. He carried his light armor under his winter tunic, made from thick dark baize, embroidered with gold and silver while his collar was made out of white Siberian fur. On his belt he have his scimitar and omnipresent long dagger with ivory pommel. Saruch Egher was a harsh, glabrous and taciturn man who do not speak much and have no friends. He kept his ferocious warriors with an iron discipline and nobody dare to question his orders and it was unheard that someone of his men will not obey him. There was nothing that people knew about him, except for the fact that he was from Egher clan and fought in countless battles. Nothing more. Anyone knew his age, or if he had a family, or what was his religion. Nobody dare to ask him. Nobody have ever saw him drinking or being with a women or having fun of any sort.

Elizabeth once told her husband that some 13 years ago, Saruch had disobeyed the leader of his clan, her mother clan, and he should have being executed for this. However dark were those times of troubles and Nogai Khan, her father, prepared to confront Ulacqi Khan in battle on the hills near Bârlad River. Every man was needed. So Saruch was ordered to charge in the middle of the enemies and get him killed gloriously in combat. And so he charged. But instead of being killed, Saruch escaped without a scratch and even more, he killed many enemies including the Grand Prince of Kiev Alexander Yaroslavich Nevsky and many of his druzina bodyguards. After the victory, the Khan was very impressed by his feat of arms. He said that Gods had judged and decided to spare his life so spared he shall be. Form that day on, he served as bodyguard to her mother, one of the wives of the Khan. “You shall never doubt of his loyalty” have her said to Edouard. His loyalty to her.

“My men are used with the mountains and with the ruses. We will not get caught” confirmed the Vlach commander.​

Voicu, Knyaz of Baia and the commander of the detachment sent by Severin, was the opposite of his Cuman comrade. He loved to speak and drink and joke, always bragging about his feat of arms, and feat of manhood. Everyone in the camp knew about his wife, his mistress, his 8 sons and 6 daughters, without counting the ones who he have no knowledge of them… If you would ask randomly 10 men, 2 might could even tell you their names. Undoubtedly, he was a man who could not keep his mouth shut. But that do not mean he was not brave or disciplined. He was dressed in the Italian last fashion which contrasted further with his savagely untrimmed bearded and his long tangled hair. There could not be a greatest contrast between them.

“I’m sure of it, my brave warriors. But do not engage them. I need you all in Provence” said Edouard.

“So, where to go?” asked Gregoire de Flers with a bored voice.

“To Saint Bernard” responded Edouard cuttingly.

“Isn’t too far north?” asked Gregoire with concern in his voice.

“Aosta will panics about our arrival” said another captain laughing. “He will cry for help from his brothers and his King. They will be bound to come on his help.”

“Well, that’s the catch! We want them as far as possible from the sea. We will travel quicker than them” responded Edouard with a smile.​

The other captains confirmed. Some fully convinced other still having some restraints or doubts. They however all trust Edouard judgement and have confidence that their manoeuvre will succeed.

“Sleep well, my friends and weak up early. The last unit ready to march will cede their next plunder!”

The captains departed to their troops. Finally, the time has come! They have rotted enough there in Italy, without action and with so little fun. Just training and drilling and training again. But happier than them for their departure will be the citizens of Pavia themselves.

In good order and early in the morning, the host was putted on march next day. They however march slowly, heading to north-west trough the Ticino valley. When the captains asked why they go so north instead west, Edouard tell them that he had some business in Novara first and they will swing west to Ivrea and Aosta afterwards. They were not yet in a hurry. They covered the 40 miles or to Novara in one entire week, arriving under its walls by Tuesday 16 March. The Novareses were very concerned and fortified their city fearing a sack. But Edouard entrust them that he had peaceful intentions. He just need to get some provisions for the crossing. He make his camp on the north side of the town.

After two days of rest, the army start marching again. Firstly departed the vanguard formed by 500 Cuman, Vlach and Mongol light cavalry, heading straight westward to Aosta. But when the main army start marching, they do not follow them, instead headed directly north to Ollegio, crossing Ticino on the afternoon. This new order of movement was given right in that morning to the total surprise of the captains.

“Only a full will stick with a plan that do not work!” said him to his men. “A wise man will change it and adapt it if the strategic needs required”.​

After crossing Ticino River, they moved straight to north, to the Gotthard Pass, into the Swiss cantons controlled by the Emperor. The vanguard had orders to ride up to Ivrea, raid its outskirts and laid waste of the surrounding lands and then faints to going south. But before reaching Po Valley, they should turn east to Vercelli and change north to catch the main army before crossing the mountains. Each of them had three spare horses.

The year of The Lord 1295, 18 March, Friday, Lombardy.

Edouard make a quick tour of the improvised camp to be sure that the order and discipline was kept and everybody is marching. He put sentries everywhere with the order to not let anyone entering or leaving the camp under the penalty of death.

Being late, in entered in his tent were his wife was waiting for him. She was angry and in bad mood. Oh God, said him to himself. I have no envy or time for this.

“Why!?” .

“Why what?” responded Edouard.

“Why did you not trust me? Me, your own wife, your captain and commander. I thought I was your councillor. Your friend…”

“What do you talking about? I did trust you…”

“And then why you haven’t let me know about your plans? Why have you concealed from me!?”

“I didn’t! I’ve changed them of the fly.”

“Lier! I know you better. You plan it for long time. Ok, it’s a smart move. But why you didn’t told me?”

“Why, to speak with your stupid maidens? I do not have time to check them too. I have already a lot of headache to check my own captains and their retinues. We are surrounded by spies…”

“You idiot! So little did you know me that you think I could not control my mouth and my own men?”

“Careful women with your words. I do not have time or envy for your stupid hystericals” said Edouard with a really pissed voice and coldness in his eyes.

“I call you as you are!” Elizabeth was now raging and wild. Her eyes were red of furry. “Do you not understand that my fate and destiny are bound to your ones, now and forever?”

“If you continue with this attitude, this might be changed. Did you think that if your father had you legitimized, are you now…”

“Don’t speak me about legitimacy! In my veins run the blood of the mightiest conquerors in the world. The blood of Genghis Khan and Batu Khan!”

“Oh let me with that fantasy! I’ve heard with my own ears what the other Mongols spokes about Jöchi. I need too much your men, otherwise I would have sent you back to your father.”

“I will ratter kill you with my own hands and afterwards, I will conquer England by myself on behalf of your son!”

“My SON?” asked Edouard shocked. “Are you telling me that you…”

“Yes, full! I am carrying your son. Is a son, I am certain. I fill it, I fill him.”

Edouard had several bastard sons and daughters with his mistress but he do not care for them and he usually send them away with their mothers. But a true born son… that’s was entirely another matter. That changed everything. He was 28 years old now… How long should he waits for an heir? A son…

“When....”

“You was too blind to see it. Too busy to find pleasure between the legs of your mistresses! We conceive him in December. You remember? It was the last time when you visit my bed.”

“Liz... I’m so sorry. A son, this is marvellous! I will take the throne before he shall born” said Edouard embracing his wife and kissing her on her head.

“Now, we shall speak” responded Elizabeth.​

The two remained in the tent speaking. Speaking strategy, speaking how to name him, speaking everything. That night Edouard make love with his wife again, after she entrust him that it will not do any harm to the child.

After a couple of more days, they entered in the mountains, bypassing Lugano and heading north following the Ticino Valley. The Saint Gotthard pass was spectacular crossing the mountains at nearly 7.000[2] feet high. On both sides, the snowed peaks reached the sky. Despite the mild winter, despite the early spring, the crossing was incredible difficult. Edouard was also very concerned by the Swiss montagnards who looked at him hostile from the crests.

When he and his exhausted men arrived near Andermatt, he saw a thick line of 1.000 pikes, halberds and spears pointing at him and blocking the road. There was Reuss River on one side and the mountains stepped cliffs on the other side. He knew that several hundred or even a thousand more were hiding nearby. Just he do not see them yet. From the top of the ridges they could rain arrows and stones and death upon his troops. Hopefully, they will not get to that… Three men approached for parley. Edouard took two of his own men and advanced to meet them, while his troops staid in expectative, closing their ranks.

“I am Ulrich von Disentis, Landaman[3] of Disentis and speaker for the freemen of Urseren. Next to me are Freiherr[4] Werner von Altdorf, Schultheiss[5] of Aldrorf and speaker for the freemen of Uri and Freiherr Cunrad von Engelberd, Schultheiss of Engelberd and speaker for the freemen of Unterwalden. We are greeting you and asked you to whom and to what we owes the honor of your visit as well as your intentions?” said the older one of the messengers.​

Ulrich von Disentis was a man well past of his fifties while his companions were slightly younger but still in their forties. They were all heavily armed.

“I salute you honorable Lords and I greeting all the freemen of Uri, Urseren and Unterwalden and give you thanks for your welcome. I am Edouard de France, rightful King of France and England, rightful Duke of Lothringen and Brittany and the commander of the Company of the Iron Lily. We come in peace. We just want to cross as quickly as possible. I have free passage through your lands granted by His Highness, the Emperor Albert I von Hapsburg, King of the Romans, your Lord and master.”

Edouard sorted a roll carrying the seal of the Emperor and handle it to the surprised von Disentis. He took the roll and analysed it with great care to see if it’s a false or not. Then he read it twice before offering it to his partners. Edouard’s correspondence with the Emperor was an extremely well-guarded secret and only the person charged with the messages knew about it, a Swabian knight called Henrik von Rottweil. He traveled multiple times that winter to his home place, the Imperial free city of Rottweil in Swabia, and each time he secretly visited the Emperor. This was his plan from the moment when he found that he could not convince either King Louis of Arles nor Philip of Burgundy to let him pass through his lands.

“Are you a friend of the Emperor”? asked von Engelberd while reading the parchment.

“I am neither friend nor foe” responded Edouard. “As I’ve said, I’m just a traveler who want nothing more than to go back to his country to reclaim his right from the one who occupying it abusively”.

“And why then the Emperor will grant you free passage?”

“Let say that… he want to repay an old debt to my family. Or maybe he hoped for us to kill each other. It will make his life easier. ”

After the death of his father Rudolph von Habsburg, Albert get the throne despite being challenged be several other claimants. He inherited the Habsburg ancestral lands in Swabia (Aargau, Frickgau, Breisgau, Thurgau, Zurichau and Lucerne) and unified them with his Augsburgian fief his father granted him out of the Imperial lands. Now he coveted to unite all those lands physically, trying to bring the Swiss cantons and the puzzle of baronies and ecclesiastic lands more firmly under his control. Moreover, he wanted the control of the Gotthard pass and the road to Italy, especially now when the road was enlarged and several bridges were built to facilitate the traffic. It’s worthily to say how much resent his politics generated. Just a couple of years ago, in 1293, the Cantons of Uri, Unterwalden, Urseren, Schwyz and Glarus have signed an oath of eternal alliance[6] who bind them together against an external threat and engage them to keep open and safe the Road from Lucerne to Gotthard Pass down to Milan. But nobody could be fouled. Their alliance was directed towards and against to the Emperor. Edouard have not seen anyone from Schwyz and Glarus but that do not mean they were not there or that they will not arrive.

Von Habsburg granted free passage to Edouard not because he wanted to help him or wanted to succeed, but out of revenge for Philip the Great and his sons meddling in affairs of the Empire. He do not believed that the Bastard could successfully claim the throne but at least he could raise havoc and cause much destruction before ending in a gibbet or in a spike. Or in did, he might have thought that he and the Swiss will slaughter each other in the mountains, facilitating his take over.
The two sides intensely negotiated the free passage and finally they agree to a price. Edouard was surprised by the Confederate request for “poudre a tonnerre”[7]. He could sniff the upcoming conflict with the Emperor so why not give those brave freemen a helping hand? Still, he could not offer them ten barrels as they asked. Not even half of it to not weaken himself. Finally, they agreed upon three barrels and a couple of smaller “pot de fer”[8].

Free for advance, Edouard continued his march north approaching Altdorf where he stopped for a day. Situated between the cliffs of mountains on three sides, the capital of Uri was too small to accommodate the nearly 14.000 men Edouard have brought with him therefore he spread his men for the well-deserved resting next to Reuss River. This part of the crossing was the hardest and it took a heavy toll on his men. Around 60 died in diverse accidents while many were injured or suffered of cold and insufficient oxygenation. And this will not even count the number of lost animals who was far greater.

During this stay in Altdorf, Edouard recruited more than a hundred Swiss in his Company, impressed by their sturdiness end their halberds. He paid long attention to those robust weapons who could dispatch a knight with a blow. It was similar to the voulges that many of his men and the French Grand Companies used but their design was more optimized. When he will become King, he will re-arm the infantry with these weapons which in combination with pikes could be lethal. They would have stay longer in Altdorf but the Swiss were never friends with strangers and they wanted them leave as quick as possible.

The 80 miles to Zurich were covered in less than a week, arriving there by 13 April. Edouard hoped to meet the Emperor, Zurich being one of the most important cities in the lands controlled directly by the Habsburgs, but he was currently in Augsburg. Albert was most probably refusing to meet him by fear to not have the fate of Pope Gregory IX. The Zurichgau canton was smaller than Uri or Unterwalden but it was far more populated and richer than all others.

Edouard employed a longer route to arrive in France, not wanting to cross into the Burgundian lands. Therefore, he headed to Strasburg via Basel, an ecclesiastical land which theoretically was under Arles influence but practically was quite independent. The Bishop do not wanted problems and therefore he let them pass and even hurried to move faster.

Once in Strasburg, another bishopric with ambitions of independence, Edouard could grant his troops an entire week of rest, from 25 April to 1 May when they were put on movement once again. While in Strasburg, Edouard tried to get the Duke Frederick III of Loraine on his side. While being an Imperial fief, Loraine was however very close to Paris. Frederick’s own mother was Isabelle de France, the youngest daughter of King Philip III and therefore they were related. However Frederick did not know what to do and chosen to stay outside of this mess.

Therefore Edouard bypassed his lands, heading to Metz and Verdun, both ecclesiastical fiefs. After more than 650 miles from their camp near Pavia and nearly 70 days of march across the highest mountains in Europe, Edouard crossed the French frontier on 17 May 1295. He was back home. But the happiness was slightly shaded by Champagne refuse to recognize him as the true King.

“Tan pis!” He will cut his way through Champagne up to Reims where he will get crowned and then to Paris where he will establish his court. The first target will be Chalons, one of the most important town in Champagne, a rich and important Bishopric under the Count influence. The Bishop should bears the royal ring during the coronation… But if he will be stubborn to refuse, he will at least help him to replenish his coffers...

----------
Source: Google map
---
[1] Knyaz was a Slavic word that mean commander and was employed by Slavs and Cumans alike as well as by the Romanians too (but having the double meaning of commander and lord). ITTL, the term is also employed in the Black Horde.
[2] More exactly, 2,106 m (6,909 ft) above the sea level.
[3] Landaman = Swiss chief magistrate and bureaucrat of a land or canton
[4] Freiherr is somehow correspondent to a Baron or Lord, however is used here mostly as honorific title signifying a Free Lord.
[5] Schultheiss is the Swiss (and German) term for a head of a city, corresponding of a mayor or provost. It comes from the Old High German.
[6] In OTL the original Confederation was formed by Uri, Unterwalden, Schwyz in 1291. ITTL, three more cantons join them in their alliance: Glarus (OTL in 1352) and Urseren (OTL 1314), the smaller and the most southern one). The Habsburg danger of enclosure was greater ITTL as Albert become emperor and his lands were closer to the Swiss cantons (Augsburg instead Austria).
[7] TTL name for the Gunpowder
[8] Primitive cannons

Last edited:
Hi guys,

The last chapter was mostly a preparatory one.
The next chapter will be about Edouard's welcoming home, his meeting with his half-brothers and step mother, so... about familial relationships and a little more about Champagne's young count.

I hope to be ready with it for the middle of this week. :)

Cheers!

A wet reception at home
A wet reception at home

The year of the Lord 1295, 17 May, Tuesday, Abbey de Lachallade, border of France

The Abbey de Lachallade was situated on the right side of Briesne River, an affluent of Sabres, right at the borders with the Kingdom of France a, being an important crossing point grace of its stone bridge over the River. While being part of the Bishopric of Verdun, it however received large grants and donations from the noblese Champenoise, including lands and forests on the left side of the River. Grace of that bridge, Edouard chose the abbey as a crossing point, arriving there before noon on 17 May. The rain have start to fall since the previous evening and by the morning have already transformed the roads into muddy ways. Despite this, he ordered the crossing without haste. He was impatient to finally reach his Kingdom which laid on the other side of the river. Those were the lands controlled by the young Theobald VI of Champagne.

This rain, which will not stop for three more days, make the crossing far more difficult, as river inflated and flooded the valley. Moreover, from the top of the 656 feet high (200m) slope which commanded the left side of the river, the men of Count Theobald VI of Champagne start raining arrows downhill. They were less than a thousand, gathered in haste by Count Henry VI of Grandpré, vassal and one of the most trusted allies of Champagne. The left side of the river was once heavily wooded but several summers before a great fire burned everything within a radius of many miles. Geoffrey of Vienne, lord of Vienne whom those lands belong, granted to the local peasants the right to clear the burned wood and use it as pasture. As vassal of Champagne, Geoffrey had also gather his men to fight Edouard, however he was not on the ridges with Grandpré, being forced to go back and quell a revolt in Vienne-la-Ville. It seems that the citizens of the town had allied with the neighbor villagers and raised in revolt against the count, dissatisfied by the taxes and the forced requisite for the incoming war. Geoffrey intervened in force, storming the town and dispersing the crowds. After hanging their leaders and several of the most recalcitrant ones, he tried to calm the rest, promising them a reduction of taxes. Still, the situation remained explosive and he was certain that if he leaves the town with his troops, the town will revolt again. Therefore, when Henry VI of Grandpré send message for help, he decided to stay put. Anyway, they could not stop the Bastard by their own!

Grandpré make a stiff opposition and hindered the crossing for hours before being droved from the heights by Edouard’s light cavalry. Still, it was not without a cost. The slope was very abrupt and slippery. Edouard lost nearly 200 men (however many by cause of accidents rather than caused by the fight), while the opposing side lost nearly half of their numbers before running away. The other side was secured and the crossing could procced unharmed. However, it will take 4 days for accomplish as the heavy rain flooded the valley, while the road which bordered the river was covered by mud and water. Edouard was forced to dismember all the wagons and the baggage train and have it carried to the other side on the back of his men. Hearing about the crossing, Geoffrey decide to abandon the town and retreat to his castle, but not before emptying Vienne-la-Ville of anything valuable or comestible, to the furry of the inhabitants..

After the crossing, Edouard send men to capture the town, while he moved north with the bulk of his army to Vienne-le-Chateau and demanded its surrender. The townsfolk welcomed the invader opening their gates, but to their great disappointing, they could not offer him anything. In front of such a big and cohesive army, Geoffrey de Vienne asked for the 40 days term before surrender, to be sure that his lord will not come to rescue, as his honour required. Built on stone and palisade and situated on the bank of the river at the top of a hill some 5 miles north of the abbey, the castle commanded the area and blocked the main road. Sadly for its lord, Edouard do not have time to wait for 40 days. He ordered the attack of the castle. It was not big, barely accommodating a hundred men, their horses and provisions. Still, despite the huge disproportion in numbers, the castle held for 3 days before falling. Edouard’s men plunder it and set it on fire, then moved forward to Vienne-la-Ville which the vanguard had already secure it on previous days. Geoffrey was captured alive as well as most his men and Edouard ask him to swear allegiance to him and to join him in the campaign. Having few alternatives, Geoffrey agree.

Edouard was finally home, on French soil, even if his adventure seemed to have started on the wrong foot. One of his first move was to send messengers to all the coins of the kingdom announcing that the true king have come and ask the people and the lords of the realm to raise in his support. Some of those messengers were “official” while most of them were traveling in disguise. They all carried copies after two documents: the bull in which the Pope recognize Edouard as legitimate son of King Charles, and another one, after a letter in which King Charles himself recognized Edouard as his own legitimate son and heir and ask him to come back home to place him in his own right. The second letter, most probably a forgery made by Edouard himself, was however professed as the undoubtable proof that previous King intended to call Edouard back to France and officially legitimize him and for this cause he was assassinated by his wife Christina, with or without the complicity of their son.

A very particular letter was transmitted directly to Philip and read it by the envoy in front of everybody:

“To Philip, the self-called King, the second son of our deceased King Charles.

My dear little half-brother,

Our father, blessed be his memory, was murdered for you to take the crown, a crown that neither belongs to you, neither it fits to you.

If you are indeed his son and not the fruit of another of your mother’s adulteries, yet one more horrible crime she have committed, then my hart could not conceive that you have your hands stained with his blood. Nonetheless your supporters have, starting with your own mother. Together they conspired against the Throne, the Crown, the Public Good, and against the God Himself.

Renounce to your imposture and willingly step down from the throne that by right is not yours. Come and ask mercy from me, your rightful King, and I shall receive you with open arms and open heart, forgiving your childhood mistakes and put you at my right as a true brother and Great Prince of the Realm. You will receive your rightful share of inheritance as I am willingly to let you keep the Duchy of Aquitaine and the Counties of Poitou and Cornwall. And I will further lavishly reward your loyalty.

But if you instead will be stubborn in your mistakes and refuse to do such, then I will fall upon you with all the wrath and I will crush you with impunity and drag you from your lair and judge you as traitor and usurper, and as a accomplice for murder, for regicide and patricide.

Or perhaps you will have an ounce of courage and you will not hid behind the skirts of your mother and come and face me on the field so God will judge upon us.

So help me Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Our true God, His blessed Mother, Our Lady Saint Virgin Mary and all His blessed Saints from His Heavenly Court, As Our Lord always helps the righteous and give him victory and makes him, with few followers, destroy many who walk in pride and sins and wickedness and trust more in their own powers than in the power of God.[1]

Tell me therefore the day and the place you wish for us to meet and we will let the weapons to decide.

Edouard, the rightful King of France and England,
Duke of Brittany, Duke of Bas-Lorraine, Duke of Aquitaine,
Count of Toulouse, Count of Poitou, Count of Auxerre, Count of Artois, etc.
Count of York, Count of Cornwall, Count of Gloucester and Hereford, etc.”

After Vienne-la-Ville, the army moved to Courtémont where another small castle (more a fortified villa than a castle) surrender after a day of siege. The local Seigneur was missing and the guards (1 knight and 8 sergeants) inform Edouard that he was departed with the rest of the troops to join Count Theobald in Epernay where the Count was gathering his host.

Edouard had high hopes to have Champagne joining him but great was his disappointing when he saw that Theobald have chosen to stay behind Philip. He and Philip were on similar age, with Theobald slightly older and they had practically grown up together. Both were intoxicated with stories about the chivalrous ideals and were trained to ride and fight with lance and sword. Both were good at this, however, Theobald was much higher and better built, measuring more than 6.2 foots to the Philip’s 5.5 (1.89 m versus 1.68 m) and therefore excelled in all physical tasks, out-competing his royal friend.

When he learned that the Bastard is approaching, Champagne sent his trustful friend Grandpré to harass him and win time, while he raised his banners to Epernay calling all his vassals and arrier-vassals. He then sent words for King Philip to come to his aid. King Philip had become bored by the Parisian life. The works at the palace were in full swing, while the Bishop, having enough for ceaseless parties held in his residence, announced him that all the banquets will shall halt for the period of the Easter feast. Therefore, hearing that the Bastard had finally reached France, he jumped on his horse and goes to Soissons where he called all his vassals. The response was however far from expected… many of the nobles did not believed that Edouard was indeed a threat or, maybe, in their hearts they hoped for Philip’s defeat or at least a period of chaos so they could take care of their own business.

Philip infuriated and demanded that all the grand Lords of France and England to come at Soissons otherwise they will be considered traitors and treat as such. Half-heartedly, the royal host gathered. Seeing his lands ravaged, Theobald asked for exceptions of coming to Soissons in order to defend his lands. However Philip disagree. He said all the Lords, therefore all shall be! Faced with such inflexibility, Theobald dismissed a third of his army and ordered it to return to their homes and defend them as best as they could, hopping to bog Edouard down in countless sieges and skirmishes, while he entrust another third to his friend Grandpré, ordering him to harass the enemy and prevent him, if possible, to make significant gains. With the rest third of the army, Theobald appeared in the face of the King, finding him hunting in the forests of Soissons. In front of all the Great Lords, Theobald admonish him to play instead to fight. Philip get mad of furry but restrain himself. All the commanders and especially the Constable of France Jean II de Maigre, advised for prudence and opted for letting Edouard exhausting himself first. It was easy for them as they were not their lands pillaged.

Indeed, the county of Champagne was ravaged by Edouard’s army in search of provisions. Edouard have run dry of money and let his men living from the lands. The 20 miles from Courtémont to Saint Etienne-au-Temple in the outskirts of Châlons were covered in 2 days but then a cloud-burst flooded the entire area. The rains started again and the plain between to Saint Etienne and Châlons become a huge swamp. The last 5 miles until the walls of Châlons were covered in 5 days, practically swimming through the mud. If he need to conquer France and England in this way, it will take an eternity. Philip need to be brought on the field of battle!

***​

Châlons

After 18 days since they crossed the frontier, Edouard and his men arrived under the walls of Châlons. It was Thursday 2 of June. Fortunately, the rain have stopped to and the sun brightened on the sky. The Bishop was not anymore in Châlons, however the town held a strong garrison and the citizens were decided to resist, despite some agitators who tried to convince the population to open the gates. The siege started immediately and the citizens soon meet the three biggest bombards in the Western World. The bombards terrified the population which soon changed their stand and more and more asked for surrender. The commander of the garrison, a certain Guillaume de Sarry, tried to make a sortie and destroy the bombards but he succeeded nothing than to have half of his men killed or taken prisoners. The bombards continued to bombard the walls and the city, at a rate of three shoots per day and one per night. Any physical damage they make could be quickly repaired but the psychological one could not. The garrison too lost faith and on the second week of the siege the soldiers themselves start persuading de Sarry to open the gates. He agree to do it next day, however the apparition of a rescue army change his minds. It seemed that the Bishop, or the Count or maybe the King himself was coming to their rescue. They were saved!

But… no, it was not the Bishop, nor the Count, nor the King either, but Grandpré who tried to disrupt the siege. Sadly, it was in vain. His men were easily swept away from the field by Edouard’s veterans. After 10 days of siege, Guillaume de Sarry asked for terms of surrender.

Edouard was put into dilemma what to do. Should he be merciful, hopping that other cities will surrender to him in the future, or should he be ruthless and sack Châlons, as a lesson for the future towns who will resist him. He need money and supplies and the sack of the town will replenish his coffers. Several of his captains advised for a merciful treatment but the great majority recommended otherwise. Châlons shall be sacked and pillaged for resisting. That was the right of the conquerors! It was self-evident that a mercenary captain will advise for a sack in eleven times out of then. His heavily pregnant wife however ask him how did he want to be perceived? As a conqueror or as a rightful lord and king?

Edouard received the surrender of the town on 14 June and choose to be merciful and to not sack it. However, the town was forced to pay a harsh indemnity “to have them opposed to their rightful king” in form of money and supplies. Edouard started great campaign of gathering more recruits – more or less willingly to join him. He wanted to conserve his veteran troops for the battle and not waist them in sieges and other exhausting or dangerous tasks. His numbers were busted by several thousand new recruits, half of them being worthless in case of a battle, being useful only for corvees and siege works. But it was better than nothing! It was the time to make a more daring move and capture Reims. He could have headed directly to it, but not its capture Edouard intended, but to force Philip to give battle. And for him to give battle, he needed his army being gathered in the first time. Now it was the time!

Reims

Reims was situated only 30 miles north-west from Châlons but powerful castles block the route. On the eastern route, on the banks of Vesle, the rich and powerful Seigneur de Beaumont had built a new and impregnable castle with his wife dowry. The castle was situated in a swampy area and was protected by several moats filed with water from Vesle River. Its strong walls and high keep were made out of stone and have deep foundations, while the garrison was recently strengthen with weapons and supplies gathered for a siege.

A more western route was protected by Louvois castle which was less strongly fortified than Beaumont but its emplacement on the middle of the forest makes any siege vulnerable of hit and run tactics.

Another route was even more western, to Epernay, and then to cross the great forest or bypassing the forest entirely via Fleury. This route was however dangerous approaching Chatillon, another powerful castle.

Edouard could make a detour on an eastern route, but that road was also blocked by another strong castle, Chateau de Moronvilliers. This castle was held by the Count of Champagne himself and was supposedly have an even stronger garrison. Moreover, it was situated on an 820 foots (250 m) high hill with stepped slopes on all sides and commanded a big forest where the count used to hunt wild boars and deer.

All these castles could be taken but it will take time and resources and Edouard have either. His hope was to drag Philip on the battlefield and defeat him, preferably killing him or capture him.

After a long reflection, Edouard decided to attack Louvois and to cross the forest as quickly as possible. He firstly simulated a march on Epernay and then turned back and attacked Louvois, catching its garrison by surprise. The outer walls were stormed, grace of the element of surprise, but the keep resisted. Edouard could not stay too much and therefore let some 300 men to continue the siege and crossed the forest with the rest of the army, arriving at the outskirts of Reims by 19 June. Being an obvious target, Reims was heavily fortified and was decided to resist, with high moral and determination and confident that the royal army which was gathering in Soissons will come into its help. Edouard knew that Philip will not let the city to fall so he put it to siege. The bombards start again to make their show but the population was less frightened this time. Slowly, they start to get used with those new weapons. Their shoots was joined by other smaller pot-de-fers but the walls staid firm and any damages were quickly repaired. More dangerous proved instead to be the flyting arrows which were fired from strange boxes placed on top of carts. Edouard have 2 such primitive multiple rocket-launchers which terrified the population with their whistling, spreading fire with their explosions. After two weeks, the moral start to plum. After another week, the city was on the brink of surrender. Desperate calls of help were addressed to the King.

This movement finally sprung Philip into action. The Royal army departed from Soissons on 12 July 1295. That was the movement Edouard waited for. He had already spent way too much time and resources on the walls of the city. More than he expected, more than he hoped. His stocks of “poudre a tonnerre” were running low and they were not easy to have them replenished.

But now, the scouts brought him worrying news. The Royal army was between 26 and 28.000 strong at minimum. Moreover, 8 out of 10 Great Companies were assembled for the battle and there were around 8.500 knights and mounted men at arms. After long hesitations and probably out of fear to not being declared traitors, all of the great lords of France responded to the call, with English and Bretons and Lotharingians in great numbers as well. King Louis of Arles was on the camp with 200 of his own knights, commanding the forces of Languedoc. They moved slowly but steadily to relieve the city. The troops mustered by Philip were exceeding the expectations and Edouard’s fears. His own troops numbered no more than 16.000 men, while only 12.000 of them being veteran crack troops. If he remain under the walls, he will be crushed between the anvil and the hammer.

The citizens of Reims saw with joy how the besiegers gather their materials and leave the field heading west. They knew that the King was coming. Their King! The king they have acclaimed and crowned a year before at a great expense, as it was the city which paid for the crowning.

Edouard and his men moved away from the city to find a battlefield that suited to them. He needed to make fully use of the terrain if he want to have a chance. Therefore, he took positions some 14-15 miles away of Reims, near the abbey of Beruil which once was part of the Templar Commanderie of Reims and now was controlled by the Order of Saint Michel. Edouard placed his troops on the top of a hill south-east of the abbey, heaving in face the river La Vesle and on the sides two of its affluent. The slopes were abrupt and the place could be fortified easily with earthworks, stakes and palisades. On the back, the hill create a gorge trough the road crossed and was practically impossible to be attacked on a wide front, therefore annihilating Philip’s superiority.

But on 18 July, the scouts informed Edouard that Philip and his army have took the road bordering Aisne River, bypassing his positions and the hilly terrain. Immediately, he raised the camp and move north to take another position, which he do it on the hills west of Roucy. The castle and the town of Roucy was held by Count Jean IV of Pierrepont, Lord of Pierrepont, Lord of Roucy, viscount of Mareuil, Sire de Possesse and the holder of the title of Count of Reims. He was one of the pairs of Champagne and one of the most powerful lords in the entire Champagne.

Once again, Edouard fortify his position and when the enemy was spotted at horizon, he was certain that the day of the great confrontation have arrived. However, advised by the Jean II le Maingre, the Constable of France and commander of the Grand Companies, Philip refused to engage and continue its route. Edouard and his men saw with horror the countless knights and footmen passing on their sights but on the other side of Aisne, on direction of Berry-au-Bac where they camped. Edouard could not attack them, nor it could move the camp closer because the Castle of Roucy which blocked his way. Therefore, once again, he raised the camp and retreat.

The two armies danced one around the other for more than two weeks, trying to lure the other side on a favourable terrain. Despite King Philip’s reckless temperament who wanted to crush the enemy as soon as possible, the Royal Army was kept in leash by the Constable who sometimes overruled the King’s desire and keep the men in order. The time passed on their favour. But not everyone considered as such. The nobles become disgruntled of being kept on service for so long. They wanted to crush the Bastard and return home. Delaying and avoiding the combat was perceived as cowardly and they pressed Philip to give battle. Philip himself was impatient to fight for proving himself as a commander and warrior on one side, and to finish this ugly affair once and for all on other side. Edouard’s presence with an army of French soil was an insult to him directly.

On the other side, Edouard too became impatient to give battle. His provisions were running low and he have no more money to pay his troops. His men were discouraged by the number of the enemy and, especially, by the presence of so many knights and mounted men at arms on the other side. Skirmishes between the two parties occurred every day, with mixed result but most of such encounters goes to Edouard favour as he fielded a superior light cavalry than the opposite side. Nevertheless, those were not the waste planes of the Orient to the light cavalry deciding the outcome. They were at best a nuisance. However, cause of them, the Royal army was on the brink of revolting if a battle will not occur.

Finally, on 4 August the two sides took the field on the plain north of Reims, 10 miles from its walls. Edouard placed his troops with the face north, and order them to entrench. Philip will attack with the sun on his face. Edouard’s left was protected by a rugged terrain covered with bushes and briers, while his right was protected from big and unexpected cavalry maneuvers by a rivulet. No drop of rain had fallen since weeks and the ground was dry and firm, perfect for cavalry charges, favoring this time the enemy. On his left and behind the main line, a small hill or a hillock, created an elevation which could offer a modest view of the entire field, or at least to most of it. There he placed his center of command. The positioning of the two armies took a long time and the entire day passed without action except some minor and usual skirmishes.

On the evening, Edouard and his commanders gathered on the hillock to establish the strategy.

“The enemy will make use of their massive advantage in heavy cavalry and will charge our center, trying to break it. And that’s what we want!” said Edouard to his worried men. “We will transform our center in a killing zone. Our center will be the stronger! I have ordered the men to dig ditches and traps to break the charges while from the wings we will pick them with the archers and killing them in droves. Do not worry about their numbers. The French Knights and Lords have no stomach for heavy loses. They were used with courtesy wars, being ransomed instead of being killed. Wars in which their chances to be killed are smaller than to be struck by lightning. I have not time for playing such games. Kill them all and I will make you knights in their place! Philip, if he is stupid and rash as I thing he is, will lead the charge himself and, my friends, if you can bring him to me alive, it will be wonderful! But dead will be even better...”

They debated the strategy each one received instruction of their places and role on the field before going back to their troops. They all need rest. Edouard was confident. He have received a secret letter from several French nobles who announce him that they were ready to change side and they will do it on the battlefield with all their men (some 2.000 in total), if they received what they want. And each one wanted something. And Edouard promises them all and everything.

He goes to sleep as tomorrow will be a great day. Before that, he asked his servant to wake him in four hours, as he waited for someone important.

--------
Source: google map
---
[1] Paragraph inspired from “Chronicle” by Ramon Muntaner, translated by Lady Goodenough, Catalan Seires Cambridge, Ontario 2000. Ramon Muntaner written

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Instead of a monstrous update, I have split it in two smaller ones. The battle itself and the aftermath will come later or most probably tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience.

PS: you can make your bets on the winner :
On the left coin, sit Philip, the actual titular of the crown, having a massive army and a favorable terrain, but his army lack cohesion and he is young and inexperienced.
On the right coin sit Edouard, the claimant of the crown, en experienced commander and a tactical genius, having the sun behind and superiority in gunpowder and a more disciplined and veteran army, but he lacks the numbers of his opponents and have little heavy cavalry.

Heavy cavalry isn't all it is cracked up to be, especially if the knights making it up are unruly.
I think we might get an equivalent of Azincourt here.

Philip loses the field but not decisively. As such the war would go on with Edouard eventually having to pillage the countryside to feed his army. As such Edouard will face more and more skirmishes with local lords bogging his army down. I honestly don't see Edouard winning as he has no support from any of the lords, and is incapable of gathering food safetly. He also has a pagan wife so no bonuses there. (In fact I can see her getting offered a deal to betray his husband)

Hecatee

Donor
Could we see the artillery firing a type of proto-schrapnel in the path of the cavalry, napoleonic era canister-like, using ceramic pots full of nails or "bullets" ? After all Edouard has an excellent knowledge of both cavalry and firepower, something few in history have had, and has been proved a great innovator : he could have asked his enginners to developp such a munition simply asking them "for a solution to stop a cavalry charge cold in its track"... Or fire a few volleys of proto-rockets in the middle of horses with no experience of gun fire.... ?

Philip loses the field but not decisively. As such the war would go on with Edouard eventually having to pillage the countryside to feed his army. As such Edouard will face more and more skirmishes with local lords bogging his army down. I honestly don't see Edouard winning as he has no support from any of the lords, and is incapable of gathering food safetly. He also has a pagan wife so no bonuses there. (In fact I can see her getting offered a deal to betray his husband)

Oh my! You have no pity for the poor peasants neither from France nor from England. :) I like it!

Edouard do not have support because nobody believes he could win.

Elizabeth "the Cuman" is not pagan but Catholic (a converted one). She was recognized by the Pope as legitimate as well. She will not betray her husband for anything in the world (were... maybe not for anything ;) )

Last edited:
Could we see the artillery firing a type of proto-schrapnel in the path of the cavalry, napoleonic era canister-like, using ceramic pots full of nails or "bullets" ? After all Edouard has an excellent knowledge of both cavalry and firepower, something few in history have had, and has been proved a great innovator : he could have asked his enginners to developp such a munition simply asking them "for a solution to stop a cavalry charge cold in its track"... Or fire a few volleys of proto-rockets in the middle of horses with no experience of gun fire.... ?

I believe that the proto-schrapnel is not yet an available solution... Edouard have fire-arrows propelled by rockets which are inspired from the Chinese versions but they are a step forward to the Korean Hwachas.

The French knights will have a big surprise tomorrow (dam, I hope I finish the update until end of day tomorrow).

Oh my! You have no pity for the poor peasants neither from France nor from England. :) I like it!

Edouard do not have support because nobody believes he could win.

Elizabeth "the Cuman" is not pagan but Catholic (a converted one). She was recognized by the Pope as legitimate as well. She will not betray her husband for anything in the world (were... maybe not for anything ;) )
Not even for legitimizing her child as a prince of the blood and a stipend? No I'm fairly certain even she knows that even should Edouard win, her children would face constant threats to their reign and life. And that's only if they win. As for the nobles thinking of siding with Edouard, perhaps? Edouard will need the support of a powerful Duke at the very least for the other nobles to consider such a thing. Another thing to consider is that although most of the nobles are apathetic to Edouard, the more chivalrous will despise him. He represents everything they hate, a bastard with a supposedly converted pagan wife coming to take the brothers rightful throne. There's also the fact on how he basically forced the Pope to legitimize him, and there's no way the local priests are taking this down. I won't be surprised if most peasants aren't already calling him the Antichrist.

Damn I'm so excited. I think it will be like an Azincourt, but with more betrayal and the likes. Maybe a melee between the claimant and the king to decide it? Unlikely, but...

Hi guys,

I apologize for not posting an update. I still working at it. Actually I re-write it as after finishing I-ve decided to draw the plans.... And I realised that the battle could not gow flow I have imagined. The outcome remains but the details change.

Tomorrow you will have it, I promiss!

Cheers!

The battle of the red field
As I have promised.... I hope you like it.

The battle of the red field

Motto: “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.”[1]

The year of the Lord 1295, 4 August, Thursday

Gregoire de Flers returned to his men very concerned and hounded by thoughts. What should he do? Should he betray his friend and commander for a last time? Should he go to the end? Those thoughts were hunting him for a while and more the day of the confrontation approached, more he was in doubts. After long reflection and countless changes of mind, he finally took a piece of paper and start to write. He will send a last letter to Philip and his staff, the letter they expected, the one he have sworn to send. After finishing it and seal it, he give it to a trustful men to have it carried to the other side in secret, a task the man successfully accomplished in the dread of the night. Then he tried to sleep but he could not even close his eyes.

Le Maigre received the letter and summoned the war council to decide what should they do? Should they believe the message or not? The letter detailed the battle plan. It seems that the Bastard have strengthened his flanks while he have left his center weaker. He seems to want a Canae but he forget that in the age of the knights such stratagems could not work anymore. If they attack the center in force, they could break it and therefore split his army in two. But what if is a trap? Charging straight forward in the center is the easier think to do. Everyone could do it! But the French were the best at that. They have the best knights protected by the best armors, riding the best horses in the entire world. Making complicate maneuvers for surrounding the enemy or louring into traps are all good but dangerous actions which only smaller armies and very well trained could do.

Le Maigre have played with plans to envelop the enemy with his cavalry, while his infantry could take the center. A day before he had even managed to convince the King and the Council to spread the cavalry thin and create two big wings which will try to force the enemy flanks. The rivulet on which the Bastard have anchored his right flank was easily to cross trough. More problematic were the swamps nearby but two or even three detachments could easily pass, especially in this very dry period when most of the swamps were dried. Same for the right flank. The terrain was a little bit roughly and covered with small bushes, but the horses could cross them. However, having such a big plain on front of them was very temping. And now, after discovering that his center is the weakest, well… any other argument was worthless. The council quickly decided to drop the previous plan and to concentrate all the force on the center. Everybody then hurried to their tents, wanting to get a little bit of rest.

The footmen, which that night remained on the field, tried to have their night passed as best as they could. Some singed, other prayed, other tried to sleep nut everybody was on guard to not have being attacked during the night. While no attack comes, that entire night was not a quite one. Patrols and scouts were very busy, trying to gather information and not only once, they meet midway and fought themselves in the darkness. The knights however, were camped in their tents and they have few worries than their inferior followers.

If Gregoire and many others could not sleep, Edouard instead slept like a baby. He was dreaming… He was on the banks of Nile with his old friend, Nicolas de Manduel, discussing about the book Nicolas have translated from Chinese and he have it offered to him before he died. Nicolas read him a paragraph: "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt”. The words which Edouard had read them countless of times from that book sound now very odd coming out his friend’s mouth. “What that means?” asked him Edouard. “Should that mean hiding your plans from the enemy or also from your men too?” Nicolas smiled and continued to read: “So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.” [2]

While they reflected to the meaning of this paragraph, they were suddenly disturbed by a noise. What was that? War drums. The noise seems to approach, becoming closer and closer. Edouard wake up and look stupefied around him. He was dreaming. God, he missed his friend. After so many adventures and thousands upon thousands of miles across continents and seas, had died on their road to Jerusalem, before reaching the Holy City. He have him promised to have him buried in Jerusalem and he have kept his word even if it have nearly cost his life.

But the drums were not from his dream. They were real! They were his drummers which were waking up the men. It was already morning. How long he was asleep? Dam, he have slept all night! Curse that boy, he had asked him to wake him up after several hours! Where is he? Edouard jumped out of his tent looking after the servant to admonish him. He was sleeping as well, on a blanket outside his tent. Edouard approached to him and slap him. The boy tried to exonerating himself. He had tried to wake him but in vain, he had refused to wake up. Edouard send him after Robert Lecointe, the man he should have him meet in the night. He was the chef of his spies and the commander of the scouts. Until Lecointe arrived, Edouard was already dressed in the armor, helped by two squires. The sun was timidly making its appearance at the horizon.

Lecointe quickly debriefed Edouard with the latest information. It seems that the night was very agitated on both sides. The night patrols had fallen one upon another and, after a short brawls, two enemy scouts were captured. They were interrogated and they confirmed that the enemy camp was plagued with factionalism and the King and the Count of Champagne were at bitter odds. Hmm… nothing new. But a piece of information catch his attention. One of the scouts have told them that, his team was sent into reconnaissance to check some information about the disposition of the troops, task that they obviously failed being captured.

So the enemy have found about the battle plan… Satisfied with these new information, Edouard decided to make some changes. If the enemy knows that his center is the strongest part of his army, he will attack the flanks. Philip might have being a stupid stubborn adolescent, but Constable le Maigre was a very competent commander. The fact that he have kept in leash the entire army for so long was a proof of his great capacity. He will definitely impose his view and will try to hit his flanks harder. Very well, let them charge! He will outsmart them and therefore he ordered of some of his captains to change their positions. Practically, he pushed his veterans to the wings and let the center covered by his newer and greener troops. All along the front there were placed stakes and ditches and therefore he judged the center being safe enough.

Sometimes betrayals are useful, as long as they were known. Edouard crossed his friend Gregoire de Flers and smile to him, patting him friendly on his shoulder.

“Come my friend, I fill that you will bring me victory today! Tomorrow we will dinner in Reims!”

The deployment

The two armies slowly took their positions and by 9 AM everybody was ready to battle. The Royal Army took more time to form the lines, being bigger and having less cohesion. The fact that the infantry was already on the field greatly helped their deployment. However, the deployment was not without incidents. A dispute erupted among the great nobles on who shall take which place and who shall charge first. It seemed that not everybody accepted the decisions and tried to impose themselves.

For a last time, Jean le Maigre tried to persuade the others to let the infantry to attack first, to test and soften the enemy and only then to have the knights charging. It was in vain. Encouraged by the terrain which seems to be perfect for cavalry, the nobles requested the privilege to charge first otherwise they will leave the battlefield. They will not hide behind la piettaile [3]! Finally, after much persuasions they still agree to form the ranks.

On the right wing were placed the English knights ranged in two “battailes”[4], one commanded by Richard de Montfort, count of Nottingham and Marshal of England, and the other one by his cousin Aumory de Montfort, count of Leicester. Next to them was count of Rohan, commanding the Breton and Poitevin knights. Placing the English on the right, far from the real action disappoint them all greatly. They filled robed by the glory by their French counterparts. Nonetheless, the flower of the French army was massed on the center under the joint command of King Philip himself and King Louis of Arles. All great nobles were present there, around their king. However, the plain was not big enough to have them all put on the front, therefore they formed up in many ranks deep, to the disaffection of some of the nobles which received a less honorable place behind the first line. Therefore, at the right of the king were the detachments of Flanders and Burgundy, with the Angevin and Normand contingents behind them. On the left of the King was Louis of Arles which his personal knights and the Languedocian troops, while the Burbonais and other Frenchmen lined behind them. Right behind the King himself, was Duke of Auvergne, with Blois on his left, right behind Arles. On the left flanks were placed the rest of the knights coming from Lothringia, Aquitaine, and Champagne. Great nobles with their mighty retinues or petty ones, knights or simple men at arms, they were the crème de la crème of the Capetian “Empire”. Theoretically, King Philip could have easily put on the field more than double of this number but logistically, it would have being a nightmare to do it.

Jean le Maigre, which was theoretically the overall commander, was pushed behind with the infantry and his Grand Companies he commanded directly. Still, a great concession was made. The archers and the crossbowmen received the permission to advance in front of the knights for the usual exchange of missiles, until their most nobles lords were ready to charge. They were allowed as they could not steal their victory and their glory. The plan was simple: the knights will charge and crush the enemy, the infantry will follow behind to dispatch the fallen one and… well… they were anyway useless. They could do whatever they want.

The moral was high.

On the other side of the battle, Edouard was also prepared.

The entire left wing was put under the overall command of Etienne d’Aurillac, with the instruction to rain fire and death on the enemy. The best of his infantry was placed on this flank, including the Swiss halberdiers and most of his fire weapons (primitive hand cannons and fire-lances), as well as the bombards and all available the pot-de-fer. While these were siege weapons, they could be used to shoot once against the approaching enemy at point blank to disrupt their charges. The left also received twice the number of archers and crossbowmen than the right flank as they could shoot on the un-shielded side of the enemy and therefore being more efficient.

At the extremity of the line, there was Saruch Eger with his horse archers. He have orders to screen the entire battlefield and to cross the rivulet on the other side to shoot the enemy from behind when they will engage.

The command of the center was entrusted to Henrik von Rottweil which have the difficult task to keep the weakest element of the army somehow in line and cohesive. They were a patchwork of different mercenary contingents recruited on the last year as well men pressed in service latter, in order to boost the numbers. Nevertheless, they should expect less action than the wings and they were flanked on both sides by veteran troops. Right next to them were placed the fire-arows (explosive arrows propelled by rockets) launchers which could raise havoc among the enemy.

The infantry on the right wing was commanded by Bernard de Joinville and numbered only 3.000 men. However, they were backed up by 2000 mounted men, including the men personally commanded by Edouard, ones of the finest warriors form the entire Christendom. At the extremity of the right wing and bordering the rivulet, Edouard placed the light cavalry formed by Vlachs and Bosniacs under the command of Knyaz Voicu of Baia. In reserve was placed a unit of mounted men, which could fight both on foot or mounted, having the task of guarding the camp and to serve as reinforcement if the battle needed.

br_initial.png

The initial deployment of the forces
The battle

Before starting the battle, Edouard sent a messenger to Philip to provoke him to a one to one fight, between them. Philip was so furious and eager to combat that he do not even listen what the envoy had to say. He could not forget the humiliation which he felt when the Bastard had sent him the letter via a cook servant [5].

At a sign, his archers advanced for the usual exchange of missiles. However, they were soon overwhelmed by the storm of arrows coming from the opposite side. Not only the enemy foot archers shoot quicker, but also their horse archers rushed forward from the left and shoot them into pieces before crossing the entire field. The entire archery duel lasted only 15 minutes or so but the casualties were horrific. The French archers fallen back disorganized. Seeing his archers dispersed, Philip ordered the general attack. More than 8.000 heavy horses were put in movement. Firstly at pace, then at trap and, later at full gallop. The forest of lances glittered in the sun! Saruch Egher led his men on the other side of the river, in order to avoid the charge of the enemy. Most of the nobles which considered to change side, were now less convinced to do so... The bastard will be crushed. Some of the, few in number, tried to take positions well behind, so they could betray Philip if the odds will turn against him, but for now, they preferred to not openly show their intention.

When the enemy approached to the middle of the field, a storm of arrows hit them hard. But that was nothing. Soon the earth and sky trembled even harder than from the noise provoked by the charging horses. The great bombards thundered, followed by many other smaller pot-de-fers. For most of the knights it was not the first time when they met the poudre a tonnerre and the firearms, but they have never experienced such a concentration of them. Using the bombards in battle was unheard. Yeah, they were sometime used in sieges. But to shoot small stones at point blank into the mass of nobles and knights was simply barbarous! The horses’ scared and a great panic and disorder spread across the lines. An even greater impression was made by the fire-arrows. The two launchers started to spit arrows in all directions across the field, with terrible whistling. It seemed like dragons escaped from the inferno. They provoked small damages but instead they created chaos and disruption among the ranks.

Nevertheless, despite all these, the knights charged the enemy in front of them. Their charge was firstly broken by arrows and fire and now they fenced upon the stakes raised and the ditches dug across the entire line. Horses fallen by hundreds, followed by their riders. From the left, the hand canons and fire lances were shoot from less than 20 foots, while from behind the trenches, the infantry armed with voulges, halberds, billhooks and bec-de-corbins advanced and cut the mighty knights into pieces. The knights were either unhorsed or have voluntarily dismounted to better fight in the melee. Seeing the carnage, some knights decided to ditch their pride and run away. The first to do so were the one ready to change camp.

On the right, the French were counterattacked by Edouard’s own cavalry, while the horse archers and the light cavalry have crossed the river shooting them from behind. They overwhelmed them and even managed to flank them. The light cavalry avoided the combat and have crossed the river from where they shoot arrows into the enemies. All over the battlefield the unhorsed French and English knights were crushed and slaughtered in droves. The upper-class of the most magnificent kingdom in Christendom was horrified by how many of them died in battle, being cut into pieces without mercy, without pity.

br_phase2.png

All over the battlefield… except in the center. The low quality troops scared to death by both the enemy charge and by the allied firepower. They brooked their ranks and run away, followed by the French knights which make their way through the ditches and slaughtered them merciless. The center was falling.

Moreover, across the river on the right flank, the light horses were repulsed by a sudden apparition. The Count of Champagne have observed the maneuver and instead pressing the charge forward, he took his men and cross on the other side of the river. The water was only up to the knees of the horses, and the crossing was done without difficulty. From there he charged the light horses which fallen back refusing the engagement, except several Vlachs which stubbornly refused to retreat and were cut into pieces. Among the fallen, was their commander, Knyaz Voicu of Baia. Saruch Eger however led everybody back safely across the river, assuming the command of the entire light cavalry. They regrouped behind the lines, at a safe distance. Champagne was now crossing the river as well, but he do not follow them. He had spotted a higher target and was headed for him. Edouard and his men were engaged on the right when they were hit from behind.

br_phase3.png

Egher throw a general look at the battlefield. The center was gone, while Edouard was hit from behind. It was the beginning of a disaster. At least, if something shall not be done quickly. The men left as reserved were rushed forward to repulse the onslaught in the center. But the left resisted. Actualy, the left flank was wining. From the distance, the enemy infantry was approaching. He was ready to commit himself to Edouard rescue when he saw something even more terrible. Two detachments were approaching in a hurry from the far south. It was Count Jean IV of Pierrepont with his retinue followed by the garrison of Reims who decided to join the battle. They were moving quickly on the road, heading directly to the camp, now undefended because the reserves were gone to help the center.

Egher do not care about the baggage train, even if he recognized that losing the camp will be a great hit to the moral of the men. No, other thing he care about. In the camp was the person he have sworn to protect – Elizabeth, the daughter of the Khan. Screw Edouard and screw everyone! He is not his master so he will save his Lady and her unborn son, not him. Edouard was the past. They were the future. Therefore, he rallied all the men and rushed to the camp.

br_phase4.png

Pierrepont’s men were busted up by Reims mounted militia and therefore they were a composite force so they were cut into pieces by Eger and his ferocious warriors. Elizabeth was saved. But the battle might have being already lost. The chaos reigned on the battlefield and thus led to a strange situation. On the left side, Edouard was surrounded and was fighting to the death against enemies four time stronger. On the left, it was Philip who was surrounded and his men were the ones slaughtered. The King of France and England was hooked from the sell by a Swiss mercenary with his halberd and was nearly tramped to the death by his horse. He fall in ditch while his destrier was decapitated by a huge blow and fall upon him, covering him in blood. Luckily, the ditch in which he had fallen saved him from the weight of the horse.

When the King had fallen, the last knights which fought with obstinacy loose heart and run back covered in shame. Fortunately, the infantry led by Jean le Maigre was coming up to help. Usually, in these cases when the knights were defeated, the infantry will not even engage the enemy, retreating all together. But the men from the great Companies have seen many things in their lives. They were veterans, disciplined soldiers and loyal to the death to their commander. And their commander was now the Constable and the Constable ordered them to charge. Their example was followed by other infantry units.

Philip saw the death with his own eyes and it would have being his end there in the ditch if not an infantrymen from the Great Companies have him dragged out from the ditch. He was covered in mud made from dust and blood. He had it everywhere, under his armor, in his ears, in his nose, in his eyes, in his mouth. The man have grabbed him from his helmet and dragged him out through the soaked earth. Indeed, the entire field which two hours before was light green with yellow shades, it was now red from the blood. The earth of France sucked avidly the blood of the Frenchmen. The dry grass was trampled by the horses and clouds of dusk have raised to the air. The sun was heating the men and their armors, drying the blood.

br_phase5.png

Few hundred meters away, Edouard similarly saw death with his own eyes. Surrounded by all sides, he was unhorsed and captured by Champagne himself. It was all lost! Theobald the Champagne was cheered by his men for his feats of arms. He disarmed Edouard and tied him with this own horse reins, to increase his humiliation. Theobald hated Edouard for the ravages he brought to his lands. King Louis of Arles, have seen the capture and rushed to felicitate the Count, despite being wounded. Maybe, but maybe, Champagne will become his son in law. This match would be perfect. He could not even dream more for his daughter and his kingdom. Would he agree to this match? Or he will be too discouraged by the rumors which those pesky doctors had spread about his daughter...

In her camp, Elizabeth saw with horror her husband dismissal. She was filled with grief and sorrow. And there, on the battlefield, it happens. When the survivors were retreating to the camp followed by the enemy, she filled herself wet between her legs. She looked down and a puddle was under her feet. Then she filled a powerful pain followed quickly by a relief, the contractions have begun. She needed to give birth right now and right there. The survivors, less than 8.000 men, were retreating more or less organized to the camp. They heard about what was happening and they all swear to defend the unborn baby and his mother with their own life. Exhausted and defeated but not crushed, they formed a huge circle around their uncrowned Queen. The camp was slightly fortified with a small palisade. It was better than nothing. The enemy was coming.

Attack after attack, they repulsed the French infantry. When le Maigre request them their surrender, as any resistance was futile now if Edouard was captured, Egger shout him the only thing he knew in French: “Merde!”

On the other side, Philip finally meet his half-brother. Now, Edouard was in chains in front of him but he felt barely victorious… From more than 8.000 knights which charged that day, less than 3.000 managed to return. It was an unimaginable catastrophe. His pride was trashed and buried under his horse. He was saved by a merely pieton. He recompensed the man lavishly but nothing will efface the filling of being drag by the head through the mud, out of a ditch. The day was saved by the despised infantry and the core of the enemy army survived. He do not understand why they are still resisting. Why did they not run?. And now, he should support the sights of Champagne… who was cheered by everyone as the true winner of the battle. Everyone praised his audacity, his strategy his courage, his everything. The French refused to conceive that it was infantry who habe won the batle and therfore put all the merits on Champagne's shoulders. And when he saw his uncle Arles how he tried to enter in his favors he got sick. A terrible envy reigned the hearth of the young king. He start hating everything from his former friend. He hate him for being taller, for being stronger, for being better looking, for being better fighter, for the rumors that his father had banged his mother, and now he hate him because he have stolen his victory.

Champagne offered the captive to his King, waiting to be recompensed. Such a high born prisoner would cost a fortune in ransom. But Philip offer him the price for a footmen. Outrageously! Both Edouard’s and Champagne’s pride were trashed. Both filled terribly offended. Edouard himself was still uncertain about what and how it have happened. He thought he have outsmarted his enemy and yet look him there, in the chains. How they knew that he will make his center weaker? But what had happens with his wife? Nobody tel him anything. Nobody knew anything. Was she alive? Were all his men killed? What will happens now to him? Will he be spared or would he meet his end on a gibbet?

After several long hours, Elizabeth brought to life the son she had promised. Exhausted, she was asked how the boy should be called as the priest wanted him to be baptized on the spot. She answered… Charles Alexander Temujin. Everybody was surprised by the last name. It was not a French name, but she was stubborn on her choice. Born on the battlefield, the heir of both Charlemagne and Temujin [6], he will be a second Alexander [7] who will unite the west and the east.

The sun was falling and the night brought the end of the hostilities. Elizabeth and his men raised their camp and retreated from the battlefield. They were defeated but not subdued. If Edouard was lost, she will continue her fight. Until the end. She was not a simple girl, she was the daughter of the wolf [1], a she-wolf herself. And as long the life beat in its heart, a wolf will not give up. The birth and the battle triggered a huge mystic aura around her and most of the men follow her without hesitation.

-------------------
[1] Perhaps the most important of Murphy's Laws
[2] From https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3200649-s-nzi-b-ngf
[3] Sounds you familiar?
[4] Detachments of around 500 men
[5] Edward III of England sent the message with the Claim of the French Crown via a cook servant, to the outrage of the French court. Usually, diplomacy between kings was conducted by high nobles and high clergy.
[6] Despite Jochi being suspected to not have being the son of Genghis Khan, he have always treat him like his own son. His descendants will rather die than to recognize or admit that they might have not being the heirs of Genghis. Temujin was the name of Genghis Khan.
[7] While Genghis Khan might be considered a greater conqueror, Alexander was viewed as the ultimate conqueror and commander, by grace of the greatest Hellenistic literature available in Occident ITTL.
[8] Her father name, Nogai, signified “Dog” in Mongol language… it was not a pejorative appellation, on the contrary, but when they translated to the western languages, they used “Wolf” as being more prestigious than “Dog”. Therefore Nogai adopted the winged wolf on his banners and heraldry.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Judging after the silence, I think that there are people who might be angry on me for having Edouard loose the battle...
That's life! The alternate one... some times, the best commanders can lose. Theoretically, the French could have won at Crecy, Poitiers and Azincourt... in other universes they might had done.

There will be one more chapter before I will leave for 3 weeks in vacation. I realy wanted to have two of them but... I have no time to write....
So, stay tunned, most probably it will be tomorrow .

I'm honestly intrigued. Edwourd was so hyped up, that I thought he would never lose, only for him to die st the finish line. I find that unique and worthy of praise.

I'm honestly intrigued. Edwourd was so hyped up, that I thought he would never lose, only for him to die st the finish line. I find that unique and worthy of praise.
Well, Edouard did not died on the battlefield, he was captured and now at Philip's mercy. Why I've did that?... I cannot tell you yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.