The Land of Wine and Beer : a Franco-Burgundian TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice update.

I'm not sure if the Voidvodship of Transylvania was back then elective... The Voivode of Transylvania was the highest dignity in the Kingdom of Hungary and was usually appointed by the King, as fair I know up to the conquest of Hungary by the Ottomans when it become independent (well, not independent but subject of the Porte). I might be wrong. The Korvins initial power-base was Transylvania and they remained vastly popular there.
The word "Diet" and the existence of co-voivodes led me to assuming it was elective. I'll stick with it.
The Korvins are indeed popular, but they also represent royal power, and thus Jànos is meeting opposition by principle.

For Janos to become the Voivode of Transylvania will be un-usually. He could appoint his son (not sure if he has one), a good friend, a relative or someone who trusted. The province was the crown jewel, very important in military power, having an army of its own quite powerful (at least 20.000 men, even more in terms of danger) and a decent economy. But the most important, it was the source of minerals: gold, silver, iron, salt, etc. It was very important to have it very well administrated and defended.

Concerning the status of Szekelys, they were part of the Unio Trium Nationum (Szekelys, Maghiars and Germans) established in 1438, which were privileged nations and worked together to resist the king and to keep the peasants down (and the heretics, aka Vlachs). The Szekelys held even more power as they were the military branch of this agreement. While the Magyars nobility have troops of their own, the Szekelys were organised in military "Seats" with their own commanders, weapons and were exempted by most of taxes. Some of the Szekelys's privileges were indeed suppressed by the Bathory's voivodes later, and make them swear enemy of the voivode (for ex. thousands of Szekelys served in Michael the Brave army against Batory in 1600).

So, in this TL, they loose their privileges earlier, when the voivode was opposed to the king... not wise for the voivode... not wise at all! suicidal I would say.
IOTL Stephen IV Bathory was cruel especially to Szekelys. Give him ten more years, and you can only get more of that.
Appointing Stephen the Great as Voivode of Transylvania is a little far fetched. He held many lands, some 40 villages and several fortresses in Transylvania, however he was schismatic and a Vlach and a foreigner ruler. I could see one of his sons, even Bogdan, to be offered the title until his father die and he take his place in Moldavia, but renounce to Transylvania.

Both Moldavia and Wallachia were a kind of Hungarian vassals. Theirs voivodes sometime played the good vassals, other time the good allies other time the cursed enemies. Stephen was the master in playing the art of diplomacy (and the war), pitting the others powers against each-other. When he was enemy of Hungary, he was friend of Poland and vassal of the Turks. When he was enemy of the Turks, he was allied with Hungary and Poland. When he was enemy of Hungary he was... you got the point. :)

So, were the Ottomans fixed their succession? How fare the Persians and the Mamelukes?
Ottoman succession is still the shitshow it usually is, but for now the Sultan has in Korkut a ready heir he will probably assassinate as soon as he has a son. Selimsah is also available, unless he's been killed by rebellious Greeks.

Good idea for Bogdan instead of Stephan Musat. However, Jànos's son would be a mite too young to be Voivode, unless the King serves as regent for Transylvania...

The word "Diet" and the existence of co-voivodes led me to assuming it was elective. I'll stick with it.
The Korvins are indeed popular, but they also represent royal power, and thus Jànos is meeting opposition by principle.

IOTL Stephen IV Bathory was cruel especially to Szekelys. Give him ten more years, and you can only get more of that.

Ottoman succession is still the shitshow it usually is, but for now the Sultan has in Korkut a ready heir he will probably assassinate as soon as he has a son. Selimsah is also available, unless he's been killed by rebellious Greeks.

Good idea for Bogdan instead of Stephan Musat. However, Jànos's son would be a mite too young to be Voivode, unless the King serves as regent for Transylvania...

All good points! :)

Concerning the first point... a diet do not equal elective rule-ship. Anyway, I have no solid knowledge about it... maybe a fellow Hungarian might have a better ideea. :)

I look forward for more updates :)

All good points! :)

Concerning the first point... a diet do not equal elective rule-ship. Anyway, I have no solid knowledge about it... maybe a fellow Hungarian might have a better ideea. :)

I look forward for more updates :)
I am going to try and settle for one a week for the next few months. I have also edited last chapter to take your remarks into account.

What would you say of Transylvania being Hungary's Dauphiné ?

1501-1505 - Regency I - The Regency of Isabelle d'Aragon
The Regency of Isabelle d'Aragon : 1501-1505

"Paris is like a chair in which a rat died. You can get comfortable in it, even come to like it... but by God does it stink." Isabella de Aragon​

France in 1500-1501
At the end of the Italian Wars, France was the next thing to bankrupt. It had undergone four major wars in the past 10 years, and had had to recruit significant amounts of new troops to cover for the losses. In addition, lots had been spent on colonising Atlantis, building up a sizeable navy, making a few Tortues and expanding the artillery park. Then again, France was a modern centralised state with extensive lands and thus a large income.
As such, while the treasury was exhausted and the French people tired of high taxes, the end of the Fourth Italian War was followed by Isabella de Aragon taking the reigns of the regency. Of course, the Bourbons could also claim it due to Anne de Bourbon being young Philippe's great-aunt. However, a working agreement was rapidly reached, with Anne de Beaujeu coming to accept the complex diplomatic task of finding brides for the various Valois and Bourbon bachelors while Isabella de Aragon grabbed with a firm hand the finances and the administration.
It had become obvious over the years that while Touraine was great from all points of view - climate, constructible area, trade - it just couldn't replace Paris. Champagne, Touraine and Lyon might have been the economic hearts of France, but Paris was just too big to ignore. Hence her decision, taken in November, that every year she would spend the winter in the Louvre palace, in Paris, before returning to the marvelous castles of the Loire. Her entry in Paris was struck by horrible weather - as she would write in her journal, Paris "was that day the most rainy, stinky, overpopulated and chaotic city she had ever seen". During her days in the Louvre, the Francisation of her name - Isabelle d'Aragon - would become dominant in most of her still Aragonicised personal court.

Taxation and Administration
The first measure taken by the Regent was to call in the États Généraux, in order to set a sustainable peacetime tax rate. It took a few months of backseat haggling, but finally the taxes were indeed lowered, but to a level high enough to give the Crown a lot of slack. While of course a lot of said slack would go into restoring the armed forces to their previous state of efficiency, a significant portion would serve to embellish the Louvre and the castles of Touraine and Anjou. The rest would be spent in what has been remembered as the main achievement of the Regency : the Parisian Sewage.
Like most of the cities of the era, Paris had open-air sewage. Which meant whenever people had personal waste to get rid of, they just threw it in the streets. As such, many of the streets of Paris and other cities had slight slopes to make it flow downhill, down into the Seine.
As such, what the Queen Regent ordered in 1502 was the replacing of the closest gutters by closed metallic pipes with regularly placed holes - lead being the chosen metal - that would release the fertilising agents into the river directly. The streets next to the Louvre rapidly got cleaner. In June 1503, a delegation of Parisian merchants visited Amboise to plead to the Queen for her to expand her system to the rest of Paris, the stench becoming even worse in summer and only being manageable where the sewage existed.
The Parisian Sewage would progressively be built during the Regency, only being completed in 1509.

Military evolution.
The battle of Zähringen had been catastrophic for France, losing hundreds of thousands of Écus' worth of artillery in a few days. The main issue spotted by Isabelle was the lack of mobility. Indeed, even when horse-drawn, the artillery pieces were not fast enough and could easily be caught up with by infantry, never mind cavalry. In the early few years of her regency, instead of renewing the artillery park to its pre-Zähringen size, the Crown's Ecus were instead spent trying to find a way to reduce the weight of the artillery. However, this mostly failed due to the lack of improvements in material quality and in cannon technology. As a consequence, though, a large amount of purpose-designed carts were built to carry around the artillery at a slightly faster pace. Of course, it still had to be dismounted to be fired, but that was a given.
Also, the Tortues had been deemed while a significant advantage, likely not as cost-effective as regular artillery. Hence the construction of further Tortues, as was that of Vinci's caravels, was suspended for a five-year period.

Diplomatic tractations
After the agreement with Isabelle d'Aragon, Anne de Beaujeu had gone looking for potential suitors for the King and his elder sister. A Savoyard and a Neapolitan alliance were both discussed, but the Savoyards finally got to engage Charlotte de France with the Duke's son, Philibert de Savoie.
However, a much more prestigious alliance was to be negotiated for Philippe VIII. After many exchanges with Buda, a match between Katalin Korvin and Philippe would be arranged.
In the meantime, she had also arranged a significant alliance for herself, as her elder son, Charles de Clermont, married in 1501 Katalina Naffaroakoa, the Queen of Navarre. This would drag Navarre into the French sphere due to the significant Auvergnat holdings of the Bourbons.
The other politically significant marriages would be that of Charles d'Angoulême, Duke of the Caroline Isle, with Ippolita Sforza, eldest daughter of the Duke of Emilia Gian Galeazzo in 1505, and that of François de Longueville, Governor of Genoa, with Philippe de Bresse's daughter Louise.

Last edited:
1501-1505 - HRE I - the Landshut Succession War
HRE 1501-1505 - the Landshut Succession War

Alliances and Consolidation
At the beginning of the 1500s, Austria was in a shaky position. Indeed, Venice, which had never really been part of the Empire, broke off its alliance with the Imperials in exchange for trade concessions in France. Furthermore, in Savoy, the word of the Regent of France was worth way more that the world of the Holy Roman Emperor. The only powers in Italy to really obey the Emperor and look for him to protection were Emilia and Tuscany - which had been rolled over by Rome at the previous war.
Furthermore, while the Rhenish archbishoprics had switched from cautiously pro-Empire to more agressively anti-French, Philipp von Wittelsbach-Pfalz had become a personal enemy of the Emperor for his failures against France. However, the Austrian situation was merely shaky. The Emperor could still call on Burgundy and Bohemia to support him inside the Empire.
In 1501, Janusz Jagielloncyk-Polska, King of Poland, died. The Polish diet soon elected his brother Aleksandras Jagiellonczyk-Litva, the Grand Duke of Lithuania, to replace him as King of Poland. At the impulse of Wladislav II Jagiellończyk-Ceske, the King of Bohemia, the Emperor and the King of Poland met outside Prague. They soon signed an alliance, with the Emperor forbidding Teutonic campaigns against the Poles and Lithuanians. The Jagiellon Kings of Bohemia pledged their electorate in favor of the Habsburgs, and at the end of the Czech branch of the Jagiellons Bohemia would go to the Emperor.
The following year, the Emperor completed the marriage deal with the Duke of Bavaria-Landshut, Georg, and married off his daughter Margarete to the King of England, Edward V. While the latter didn't result in an alliance immediately, it was hoped this would lead in the future to more convergent interests.

The Dessau War
Anhalt-Dessau was one of those tiny principalities of the Empire that made it such a bother to try and centralise it. It made up about half of Anhalt, along with Anhalt-Köthen, and was ruled by three brothers jointly. However, their elder half-brother, Waldemar VI von Askanier-Köthen, claimed Dessau for himself. What was to happen happened in 1502, when 3 000 men under Waldemar VI invaded Dessau. The time needed for the Princes of Anhalt-Dessau to raise their troops, and Köthen was already crunching them piecemeal. This led to the Battle of Rosslau, where the 2 500 remaining men of Köthen crushed through sheer numbers the 1 500 men Dessau had brought together. By 1503, Waldemar VI was Prince of all of Anhalt. He immediately decided to replace the usual Ascanian co-rulership into a simple primogeniture, setting his son Wolfgang (1493-15??) in position to inherit Anhalt in turn.
It struck the Emperor that while he could intervene in this, it would have absolutely no interest for him, since it would only piss off the North Germans for very little land at all.

The Landshut Crisis

In December 1503 died the Duke of Bavaria-Landshut, Georg the Rich, without any male heirs. According to his testament, his daughter should inherit. However, since it was a teilherzogtum of Bavaria, the Duke of München claimed Landshut for himself. Furthermore, the Emperor could have considered this a fief fallen into disherence, if not for his son having married Georg's daughter.
By Christmas, the troops of München had crossed the frontier and occupied large portions of the Duchy, capturing Landshut and thus Georg's treasury. The Emperor threatened Duke Albrecht IV von Wittelsbach-München with the Imperial Ban if he didn't move his troops out of Philipp von Habsburg-Landshut's rightful lands. Which he refused, under promises of help of the Palatinate.
On January 3rd, the Archduchy of Austria and the Principality of Burgundy declared war to München and the Palatinate. Isabelle d'Aragon rapidly granted passage through Lorraine to the Austro-Burgundian troops in order not to have the Emperor wave threats at France's possessions in the Empire. The 8 000 men of Marie de Bourgogne found the Palatinate undefended as the bulk of the Palatine troops had gone to Bavaria. Therefore, the key fortresses were soon under attack, including the Palatine capital, Heidelberg. In the meantime, some 10 000 Austrian troops, bolstered by 2 000 Bohemians, faced off with 14 000 Wittelsbach troops in a field next to Salzburg. The large amounts of experience Maximilian had gotten facing the French at their strongest served well in that battle, since despite smaller numbers the Austrians won at Salzburg. During the following year, the Austrians would press on while the Burgundians would take over the Palatinate.
This led to the French-mediated Treaty of Metz, where the Wittelsbach would repay the amount of money estimated to have been in Georg's treasury - next to a million guilders. Chunks of Landshut would be annexed to Austria and others to München and the Palatinate, the rest becoming an Austrian apanage, the Archduchy of Landshut, owned by Philip von Habsburg-Landshut.
Bavaria 1505.png

Last edited:
Also, it appears the Turtledoves are over. I would like to thank the 32 people that voted for this TL. It means a lot to me. And it's better than last year, since I progressed from IIRC second-to-last to 9th ex-aequo.
Of course, it would be nice if I got more comments on my updates, but whatevs.
Also, many thanks to the 35 people who voted for me at the Newcomer Award. I will likely not be eligible anymore next year, but that's life. I'll just enjoy my 4th place.
I hope to continue to write this TL in an enjoyable fashion. See ya !
Draco

So, we will see an Hapsburg Bavaria? Great!

If I had issues with HRE mess in 1250-1300 for my TL, it blow my minds when we are in 1500... Nice map, by the way. However, I think some additional legends will be helpful as it will make it easier to be read (with the territorial changes and stuff).

So, we will see an Hapsburg Bavaria? Great!

If I had issues with HRE mess in 1250-1300 for my TL, it blow my minds when we are in 1500... Nice map, by the way. However, I think some additional legends will be helpful as it will make it easier to be read (with the territorial changes and stuff).
It's not all Bavaria, only the Southeastern third. Still, it's quite a big chunk, and considering Salzburg could be integrated to Austria, it would make a powerful Imperial powerbase together with Bohemia.

1490-1505 - Iberia III - Portugal on the rise
Iberia 1490-1505 : Portugal on the rise.

"There are seas beyond which even the Holy See cannot see; lands beyond those to seize, and riches yet untold to bring home." A footnote in one of Vasco de Gama's logs.​

A matter of Atlantic competition
Portugal was one of the first Iberian Kingdoms to finish their portion of the Reconquista, going as far as crossing into Morocco early on, having taken Ceuta in 1415. This kick-started a long-standing trend of Portuguese interest in trade control, especially in Africa. This gave the Portuguese a 70-year headstart in exploration, time for Castille to finish off the Emirate of Grenada. By 1475 - date of the Castillan Succession War - the Azores, Madeira, Arguin, Mina as well as more land in Morocco had been acquired for Portugal, as well as a significant portion of the trade of gold been drained and a near-monopoly in overseas trade.
Of course, the Castillan Succession War drained a significant portion of Portugal's expansion efforts; and it should be no surprise no significant exploration was undertaken in the few years of personal union between Portugal and Castille-Leon. And it resumed as soon as Joao II took the throne. Of course, Castille, without significant possessions on the Mediterranean commerce heart after having lost Murcia, was bound to look both South, to Africa, and West to the Atlantic.
After a diplomatic incident between Castillan trade protection ships in the bay of Algeciras and Portugese vessels in 1490, Joao II of Portugal met with Juana de Castilla in Gibraltar, and agreed on the Treaty of Gibraltar, according to which each side agreed to respect each other's possessions - with strong hints that Portugal might be subjected to continental retaliation in case of a Portuguese assault on the Canarias. In addition, Castille ceded to Portugal the monopoly on Atlantic trade with Africa, in exchange of which Portugal ceded to Castille the monopoly on Mediterranean trade with Africa and on Atlantic trade with whatever laid West of the Atlantic.
The monopolistic provisions of the treaty of Gibraltar were wildly disrespected by both sides, but never on a scale to warrant a full-on commercial conflict.
In 1497, Castille attacked the Moroccan city of Melilla in order to steer through there Moroccan trade, and away from Ceuta. The city fell without a fight. However, Moroccan bands would attempt reconquest of the city on a regular basis mere months after the capture. Both Castille and Portugal would then try to push their influence further into Morocco, with varied success.
The following year, Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama discovered the Western Route to India. While an initial failure from a trade point of view, it was still a great success due to pointing out the possibility of the trip. The next year, Pedro Alvares Cabral reached Calcutta, opening the Indias to Portuguese trade.
In the meantime, Portuguese explorers in the far North reported the discovery of a sparsely populated island with Breton-speaking folk on it. Later Portuguese attempts to trade with Ouessant were repulsed by the French garrison of the port.

Aviz Avancements
In 1499, Joao II of Portugal died, poisoned by some nobles. He was followed on the Portuguese throne by his son Afonso VI. Afonso would marry one of his younger Castillan cousins, the eldest daughter of Juana de Castilla and Manuel de Viseu, Anna de Castilla (1487-15??). As early as 1503, she would give him a son, Henrique, followed in 1504 by a stillborn daughter.
During the same length of time, in Castille, Juana de Castilla had given birth to eight children with her husband Manuel de Viseu. After Anna, Juan (1488-15??), Alfonso (1489-1492), Isabella (1489-1490), Enrique (1490-15??), Juana (1491, stillborn), Isabella (1492-15??) and Alfonso (1493-1504) were born to the couple.
The eldest daughter, Leonor (the daughter of Juana and Afonso V de Portugal) was married off to Juan Pacheco de Luna, the eldest son of Diego Lopez de Pacheco, Marquis of Villena and Duke of Escalona, the most powerful noble of the Juanista court. This alliance would both strenghten the monarchy on the short term against the ambitions of the nobles, and weaken it on the long term, by increasing the prestige of the Dukes of Escalona beyond reason.

Hi,

Castile with monopoly on western indies? that means there will be no Brasil? Are the Portuguese not interested at all of West Indies? as far I understood, they just explored some islands and then ceded the monopoly to Castile...

Or, better, what the old world know about America? Are the Aztecs, Mayans, Inca's discovered? There is anyone which have an ideea about the sheer amount of gold there? Apart few French outposts, are there any other from other nations?

Also, without Aragon, I do not see Castile exercising too much power in Mediterranean Sea.. By the way, how are the relations between Portugal, Castile and Aragon?

How strong is French navy, compared to Castile, England, Portugal?
Is France still more interested in Italy/expanding east into HRE?
Ouessant is TTL name of America?

I know, a lot of questions... :p

Hi,

Castile with monopoly on western indies? that means there will be no Brasil? Are the Portuguese not interested at all of West Indies? as far I understood, they just explored some islands and then ceded the monopoly to Castile...
There was a similar treaty IOTL. The fact that nobody has ever traded yet with polities on the other side of the Atlantic surely played a role.
Or, better, what the old world know about America? Are the Aztecs, Mayans, Inca's discovered? There is anyone which have an ideea about the sheer amount of gold there? Apart few French outposts, are there any other from other nations?
Portugal might know about the Antilles but does not seem interested. Outside that only France has land in the Americas.
Also, without Aragon, I do not see Castile exercising too much power in Mediterranean Sea.. By the way, how are the relations between Portugal, Castile and Aragon?
Portugal -Castille : rather friendly. Portugal-Aragon : inexistent. Aragon-Castille : frosty and limited to anti-French cooperation.
Castilian naval capacities are smaller indeed and concentrated around Andalusia and Galicia.
How strong is French navy, compared to Castile, England, Portugal?
Portugal ranks first in terms of navy.
Then you have the Italian republics, providing naval power for Austria and Hungary (Venice), and France, Savoy and Naples (Genoa).
Then comes Aragon.
Then you have Castille (who has to have two distinct navies), followed by France and England.
Is France still more interested in Italy/expanding east into HRE?
Eastwards expansion is no longer a short-term focus of the monarchy since the opportunities have dried up. Right now, on the short-term you have more opportunities in Aragon and America.
Ouessant is TTL name of America?
No, only the capital of New Brittany. (North) America is Atlantis.

I know, a lot of questions... :p
I don't mind.

Interesting...

Would it be any king of Tordesillas treaty? a kind of division of the new world?
How much interest is in France to settle/explore Atlantis? Was Christoper Columbus appointed viceroy of new lands? How many voyages had he made? have he found any gold?

A map of French new world, French claims and french knowledge about this land will be useful... :)

Curious to see more!

Interesting...

Would it be any king of Tordesillas treaty? a kind of division of the new world?
There will be such a thing, but don't expect it to be respected.
How much interest is in France to settle/explore Atlantis? Was Christoper Columbus appointed viceroy of new lands? How many voyages had he made? have he found any gold?
Right now, regular folk think of Atlantis as "free land over the seas with no taxes". It is attractive to a lot of men, but women, not so much.
There is a Duchy of the Caroline Isle, which has been granted to Charles of Angoulême, and a Duchy of New-Brittany, not any vice-royalties per se.
No gold has been found. The Corsican has done the trip 4 times and has reached as far South as North Carolina.
A map of French new world, French claims and french knowledge about this land will be useful... :)

Curious to see more!
I'll work on it. You might get a map some time on Saturday depending on how my relationship with Gimp develops.

There will be such a thing, but don't expect it to be respected.

Well, maybe France will be part of it... :)

Right now, regular folk think of Atlantis as "free land over the seas with no taxes". It is attractive to a lot of men, but women, not so much.
There is a Duchy of the Caroline Isle, which has been granted to Charles of Angoulême, and a Duchy of New-Brittany, not any vice-royalties per se.
No gold has been found. The Corsican has done the trip 4 times and has reached as far South as North Carolina.
If there is no gold, no taxes... which is the incessant for the French government to expand there?
Wait... you want to say... the Genovan, isn't?
I'll work on it. You might get a map some time on Saturday depending on how my relationship with Gimp develops.

Great!

1500s Northern Atlantis Map
Northern Atlantis.png

Quick map of Northern Atlantis (New Brittany and New Vendea)
Bright blue (French occupation blue) are the actually populated areas.
Lighter blue (French ownership blue) are the areas claimed by France but not actually populated.
Central Atlantis (ie New Guyenne) coming up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.