The History of the Malaya Campaign

Markus

Banned
a) Indian independance was deleyed by two years and the majority overe here thinks that this could have prevented partition.

b) Chinese racism towards westeners? I guees it doens´t usually materialize in the form of lychings. So I know one group of westerners who´d not mind such a tame kind of racism. But on a more seroius note. Not unless the westerners behave in a racist manner first. IOTL the Chinese might have plenty of new stereotypes about westerners(and Indians too) but since they were friendly to China and its people, they can´t be that bad. Maybe a little rough around the edges but what can one expect from non-Chinese? Maybe time will fix that(It did and some more).

Revenge was very much worn out an obsolete but she was also China´s 1st Dreadnought, actually Superdreadnought and the ship on that the -what was the term- three island devils unconditionally surrendered. At the end of the war she was given back to the RN and once the decision to scrap her was made China asked for her to make her a museum ship. Which she remained until the late 50´s whe it was decided to make her seaworthy again. After all the 20th aniversary of the victory over Japan was nearing and what better way to celebrate China´s victory and her return to power than having her restored? After all, even in the west battleships are still big symbols of power. And the whole symbols or power thing is big in China. Remember Patton´s troops taking over the New Chancellory? That was as unplanned as the raising of the Canadian flag over the Reichstag.

Waaay wrong. How can I put it? He is working in a much lower tech biz. Electrical appliances but not for AEG.

a) Indian independance was deleyed by two years and the majority overe here thinks that this could have prevented partition.

Interesting. I would have suspected that it would have probably been advanced. If partition can be avoided hopefully also the sectarian conflicts that have plagued the region since can be as well.

b) Chinese racism towards westeners? I guees it doens´t usually materialize in the form of lychings. So I know one group of westerners who´d not mind such a tame kind of racism. But on a more seroius note. Not unless the westerners behave in a racist manner first. IOTL the Chinese might have plenty of new stereotypes about westerners(and Indians too) but since they were friendly to China and its people, they can´t be that bad. Maybe a little rough around the edges but what can one expect from non-Chinese? Maybe time will fix that(It did and some more).

More generally Chinese attitudes to foreigners altogether. The entire superiority complex that is a lot older than the relatively recent western one. Plus are you aware of the Chinese name for Africa? [Remember reading once it was termed the 'evil continent' or 'continent of evil' or something like that. Not saying that black people would be treated worse than in the west or Arabian regions but not sure how welcome they would be].

Waaay wrong. How can I put it? He is working in a much lower tech biz. Electrical appliances but not for AEG.

Ah well. Thinking that would be too obvious. Just a thought. It's not the guy who was the German resident in Nanking during the rape was it? I've heard him called the Chinese Schindler and he actually got a lot of help from the locals he had helped rescue after the war, at least until the communist take-over. In that case it could well be a rescue mission rather than a kidnapping.

Steve

Markus

Banned
Interesting. I would have suspected that it would have probably been advanced. If partition can be avoided hopefully also the sectarian conflicts that have plagued the region since can be as well.

IOTL the British rule was utterly discredited by the defeat of 42 leading to the "Quit India" movement. ITTL the victory of 42 has made Congress piggy-backing on that "Anglo-Indian" victory. And the British are not in an undue haste to get out of India. ITTL the process was done way to fast. One user told me a border was drawn by a UK judge in a matter of days who had never been in India before.

More generally Chinese attitudes to foreigners altogether. The entire superiority complex that is a lot older than the relatively recent western one. Plus are you aware of the Chinese name for Africa? [Remember reading once it was termed the 'evil continent' or 'continent of evil' or something like that. Not saying that black people would be treated worse than in the west or Arabian regions but not sure how welcome they would be].
So what? A people thinking of themselfs as better than the rest sounds harmless to me. Not least because in some ways any people do it. I´m hopefull that intensive contact with foreigners smoothes things over.

Ah well. Thinking that would be too obvious. Just a thought. It's not the guy who was the German resident in Nanking during the rape was it? I've heard him called the Chinese Schindler and he actually got a lot of help from the locals he had helped rescue after the war, at least until the communist take-over. In that case it could well be a rescue mission rather than a kidnapping.

Steve
Corret it is John Rabe who worked for Siemens(not AEG). The Japanese had him recalled to Germany before 39 and he worked in Berlin. Now he back in China as General-Manager for the China branch but before that there´s plenty of banquets, conferrings of medals, honorary citizenship, parades ect to attend.

edit: I think I make Fùchóu a training ship. The operating costs might be a little higher than usual but she does get got PR anywhere. :)

The eastern Indian famine of 1943 will not happen in this scenario - since infastructure and above all Burmese rice growing lands are still in good shape and in British hands. People often miss how much that famine did to discredit British rule.

We might see a Commonwealth India (perhaps even with the British monarch as Empress) in this scenario?

Markus

Banned
The eastern Indian famine of 1943 will not happen in this scenario - since infastructure and above all Burmese rice growing lands are still in good shape and in British hands. People often miss how much that famine did to discredit British rule.

That famine was the result of four things coming together:
-a cyclone destroying much of the harvest in Bengal
-the loss of Burma
-official indifference(probably due to the bad situation at the front)
-the pre-emptive destruction of small craft to deny the Japanese a ready made amphibious fleet like the one they captured in Penang,Malaya

The famine has not happened ITTL. It could not have been worse than some degree of food shortage for some, not too long time in a much smaller area.

We might see a Commonwealth India (perhaps even with the British monarch as Empress) in this scenario?
The TL is finished a new, short one has begun(albeit slowly). I don´t want to be more specific on India. I really lack the info to judge what the butterfly effect could be.