The High and the Mighty (President John Wayne)

[FONT=&quot]The offer was then made to Liberal activist and Civil Rights fighter Charlton Heston.

????

You sure this is the same Charleton Heston? The NRA man?

Did he change dramatically, or what happened?
[/FONT]

Can't you just see President Heston saying... "For the past six months, The Terrorists have been smearing us as the enemy. They will slander you as gun-toting, knuckle-dragging, bloodthirsty maniacs who stand in the way of a safer World. Will you remain silent? I will not remain silent. If we are going to stop this, then it is vital to every law-abiding gun owner in America to register to vote and show up at the polls on election day for my reelection. As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those words again for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Bin Laden...From my cold, dead hands!"

Charlton Heston was, indeed, a liberal, civil rights activist in the 60s. He marched with MLK and was considered to be a leading Hollywood liberal. Chuck Heston did become more conservative as he got older, but I believe that he was always a gun enthusiast and he never saw any conflict between being pro-civil rights and pro-gun. Both in his mind were Constitutionally protected rights.

maverick

Banned
The Man Who Shot Richard Nixon

IOWA: MUSKIE BEATS KENNEDY

In a surprising result, Maine Senator and 1968 Vice-Presidential Candidate Ed Muskie has managed an upset victory against the favorite, Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy in the Iowa Caucus, taking 32% of the vote to Kennedy’s 27%

[Washington Post, January of 1972]

On February 16, Bremer quit his job as a janitor. Later investigations suggest that he would start his diary Two weeks later, on March 1, he began his diary with the words, "It is my personal plan to assassinate by pistol either Richard Nixon or George Wallace. I intend to shoot one or the other while he attends a champagne rally for the Wisconsin Primary". Bremer's purpose was "to do SOMETHING BOLD AND DRAMATIC, FORCEFUL & DYNAMIC, A STATEMENT of my manhood for the world to see. Further analyses have proven that the mental state of the patient was nowhere near that of a competent man and would have indeed been unfit to stand trial…

[Taken from…Presidential Assassins: A Study in Madness]

KENNEDY EDGES MUSKIE

Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) has managed to reverse his defeat at Iowa two months before by defeating Senator Muskie (D-M) in New Hampshire, neighboring Muskie’s home state of Maine. Kennedy won 42% to 39%, leaving South Dakota Senator George McGovern with only a 8% of the vote. The so-called “Canuck Letter’ published in the Manchester Union-Leader and Muskie’s emotional response to it, which some described as a breakdown, has been blamed for the defeat.

[New York Times, March of 1972]

According to several testimonies, Bremer stayed at the Lord Elgin Hotel at Ottawa, having arrived at the city and checked in on April 10. The following day, the 11 of April, Bremer left the hotel early in the morning, dressed in a business suit, wearing sunglasses and with a revolver in his pocket. He did not cause any suspicion on the hotel staff or any bystander that later claimed to have seen him exit the building.

WALLACE WINS FLORIDA

With an impressive 42% of the vote, Alabama Governor and Law and Order Candidate George Wallace has imposed himself in virtually every county in Florida, far ahead of his closest opponent, Ed Muskie, who finished with a 8% of the vote

[Chicago Tribune, March of 1972]

According to Bremer’s testimony, he saw Nixon approach Parliament Hill in a limousine and began to hesitate. He had not expected such an important police presence, which had been necessary due to the presence of Quebecois nationalists and Vietnam War protesters. The man doubted for a few seconds, standing silently amongst the crowd before he took his fateful decision.

NO CLEAR WINNER AT ILLINOIS; McGOVERN WITHDRAWS

With a margin of less than 200 votes, the results of the Illinois Primary are still not out, as both Senator Ted Kennedy and Senator Ed Muskie have claimed victory with their respective 35% of the vote, although independent polling suggest Kennedy make take a very narrow victory in this primary.

[Washington Post March of 1972]

The windows of the Limousine were opened. That was allegedly the factor that pushed Bremer to come forward and shoot his pistol at President Nixon. Accounts vary. According to some, it was three shots, to others it was four and to others even seven. After the initial shock of the first two shots, panic ensued as the crowds reacted at the same time the Secret Service and the Police did. The first 60 seconds turn into a mayhem as the Secret Service rushed to protect the President and present cover fire.

120 Seconds later, President Nixon was being taken to the Ottawa General Hospital and Arthur Bremer lied dead on the floor of a cold street in front of Parliament Hill, with 4 bullets in his chest, surrounded by several Ottawa Police officers, Secret Service Agents and two innocent bystanders that along with a Police officer had been caught in the line of fire when the mayhem ensued.

Last edited:
I guess President Wayne via Bremer it is than Maverick...I also assume that Chappaquidick didn't happen ITTL, but I am not sure Teddy would have ran in '72 with Nixon's poularity. I mean even if he waits to the more viable option of 1976, he would still only be around 44 still a fairly young age to seek the Presidency. I do have to admit a Wayne vs. Kennedy matchup is particulary interesting...Keep it comming:D

Very interesting; I'm enjoying it. Although, I think you suffered a bit of Hamleteqseque uncertainty here...:),

According to Bremer’s testimony, he saw Nixon approach Parliament Hill in a limousine and began to hesitate. He had not expected such an important police presence, which had been necessary due to the presence of Quebecois nationalists and Vietnam War protesters. The man doubted for a few seconds, standing silently amongst the crowd before he took his fateful decision.

120 Seconds later, President Nixon was being taken to the Ottawa General Hospital and Arthur Bremer lied dead on the floor of a cold street in front of Parliament Hill, with 4 bullets in his chest, surrounded by several Ottawa Police officers, Secret Service Agents and two innocent bystanders that along with a Police officer had been caught in the line of fire when the mayhem ensued.

I know the feeling, though, trying to figure out what I want to do in TLs.

By current standards, yes. But would it be that way by the standards of the time?
I don't think so. I believe he was, indeed, Social Liberal (at least a moderate to Centre-left one), not Libertarian, and his politics shifted rather than remaining the same but being relabeled. I also don't think younger Heston was gung-ho about guns either (he supported the Gun Control Act of 1968 and, even as he grew more Conservative, opposed the private ownership of AK-47's and such things until I think he was head of the NRA). The whole "party left me" thing is rather silly in that light.

maverick

Banned
Don't Fear the Reaper

NIXON ASSASSINATED

President Richard Milhous Nixon was assassinated in Ottawa, Canada at 12:00 PM Central Standard Time while visiting Parliament Hill in a diplomatic visit. He was shot four times while inside the limousine, two shots to the head and one to the chest. He was pronounced dead at 12:35 PM.

The Gunman was identified as Arthur Herman Bremer, an unemployed American citizen that is believed to have followed the President to Canada with the express purpose of assassinating him.

[Taken from…The Washington Post, April of 1972]

The first hours were the most hectic; as they took us by surprise and frankly we were not prepared for a change of such magnitude. Upon hearing the news of the President’s death, the first thing we did was to take the Vice President to be sworn in and then fly to Washington to address the nation and assure the public that everything was in order and that the gears of government and the normal functioning of the United States would not be stopped by the actions of a single man.

Judge John Clifford Wallace, who had been quite fittingly enough been nominated and appointed by President Nixon himself for the office of Federal Judge, swore in Vice President Wayne around 2:15, right there at the Airport. Per the President’s strict request, there were no cameras or journalists present. An oddity given the character and history of the man that was to become the 38th President of the United States, but as he later explained “This ain’t a show.” Others would later say that the President was grief-stricken and didn’t want to appear in front of the cameras looking shocked, surprised or in sorrow.

John Wayne left San Diego around 2:30 PM, as the 38th President of the United States.

[Taken from…The Making of A Presidency]
MUSKIE WINS ILLINOIS BY THIN MARGIN AFTER RECOUNT
After several days of recount, Senator Ed Muskie has been declared as the winner over Ted Kennedy with a margin of 400 votes. Both candidates have nevertheless refused to make comments besides expressing their condolences about the death of President Richard Nixon, whose funeral will take place tomorrow at his home town of Yorba Linda, California.

[Taken from…Chicago Tribune, April 12th of 1972]

What exactly drove Ted Kennedy to put an end to his Presidential Campaign on April of 1972 has been debated for years, especially given the perceived lead he had over his chief opponents, Senator Edmund Muskie and Governor George Wallace. Many theorize that the very decision to run that year in the first place was not for Kennedy to win the nomination, but to test the waters in anticipation for 1976, a fact backed by Kennedy’s apparent reluctance to talk about the election in late 1971 and Nixon’s popularity at the time.

A variety of factors can be attributed to Kennedy’s decision: the ‘Canuck Letter’ that had nearly killed Muskie’s chances early in the contest was a particularly worrisome cause of fear for the Kennedy camp, as was later seen in the early mudsliding between candidates, and that was before the existence of a ‘dirty tricks squad’ working for the Nixon administration was even thought of as a possibility. Let’s remember that it wasn’t until 1981 that the activities of groups such as the Committee to Re-Elect the President were fully disclosed, yet all sides knew or suspected that the ‘other’ side was fully capable of anything, be it democratic or republican.

Thus Kennedy’s drinking and other personal problems were feared as sources of shame or personal attacks that would soon come. Yet there was another strong reason, one closely related to what had up to 1972 the greatest American tragedy of the century. The assassination of Richard Nixon, just like that of Ted Kennedy’s brother John nine years earlier had a devastating effect in the following Presidential elections, as the Republicans and Barry Goldwater could verify.

Although somewhat cynic, it would not be completely unrealistic to assume that Kennedy dropped out of the race on April of 1972, just days after Nixon’s funeral, out of the certainty that John Wayne was invincible that year.

[Taken from…1968-1976: A Guide to Cold War political Chaos]

KENNEDY CRUSHES MUSKIE, DESPITE HAVING LEFT THE RACE

Following the virtual tie between Senator Ted Kennedy and Governor George Wallace at Wisconsin just weeks ago (32% to 31%) and Senator Kennedy’s announcement that he would leave the race to the White House to spend more time with his family and taking care of his brothers’ children, the Massachusetts Senator has nevertheless been able to pull an astonishing victory over his closest rival with a 57% to Muskie’s 20% and Wallace’s 6%.

Given Senator Kennedy’s decision to withdraw his name from the contest just days before the primary, it is yet unknown which candidate he will endorse and to whom will the Kennedy delegates go.

[Taken from…The Washington Post, April 26th of 1972]

The ink on the 25th Amendment was still fresh back then, having only been signed some 5 years ago, whereas John Wayne had only been in office for two days when the need for his replacement became apparent. The first hours had been a chaotic whirlwind of activity and the idea of finding someone to fill in for Wayne as Vice President was not even seen as particularly relevant until the third day, although the President himself did not consider it important at all during his tenure as President. For once, as was proven by later events, the new Vice President would only be a seat warmer until the Republican Party bosses found someone more permanent and fitting to campaign posters.

But Dallas and Ottawa proved that the President of the United States was not immune to disaster, especially if it took the shape of a bullet, and thus we started searching.

The Nixon people favored Texas John Connally, who was perfectly conservative but unfortunately a democrat and a Texan running mate for a President that for all people cared about, was more Texan than the Texas Rangers and The Alamo. Something similar could be argued about John Wayne’s former Lieutenant Governor and another Nixonian favorite, Robert Finch, a Californian and having served as Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Health, Education and the whatnot, somewhat of an unknown.

At the end, allegedly, the very Democratic Speaker of the United House of Representatives would only leave us with a choice, which is the one we took. As I said, we knew that it would only be a place-holder till the National Committee picked a more photogenic or politically acceptable candidate.

[Taken from…The Making of A Presidency, testimony of John Patrick Sears]

GERALD FORD SWORN IN AS VP

United States House Minority Leader, Gerald Ford (R-MI) has been sworn in as the 40th Vice President of the United States, as established by the lines of the 1967 25th Amendment…

[Taken from…The Washington Post…April of 1972]

Coming soon...May of 1972

Last edited:

maverick

Banned
Surely you mean 40th VICE president?

Indeed, not it has been fixed...

Now, 10 primaries in May, no clear frontrunner, what I am ever going to do? ;)

Candidates thus far:

Kennedy (3-dropped out), McGovern (0-dropped out), Wallace (1), Muskie (2-somewhat in), Chilsom, McCarthy, Mills, Jackson and the special somewhat obvious guest for may...

If Wayne had ever run for office he would have had to explain why he stayed out of the military during World War II while many other actors, some of whome were older them him such as Gene Autry and James Stewart went to serve. He was worried that joining the army would hurt his career too much so he stayed home making movies. Reagan was only married twice while Wayne got married three times with numerous affairs. Wayne had numerous drug and alcohol problems. Wayne supported the blacklist and claimed responsibility for the blacklisting of High Noon screenwriter Carl Foreman.

You also have to get Wayne to explain these comments in Playboy.

"We can't all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership to irresponsible people."

Also explain why he made them in Playboy. Recall all the problems Carter had when he did an interview with them.

Some other examples of his racism, or at least hostility:

"I don't feel guilty about the fact that five or ten generations ago these people were slaves."

"I'm not condoning slavery,It's just a fact of life, like the kid who gets infantile paralysis and has to wear braces so he can't play football with the rest of us."

"I've directed two pictures and I gave the blacks their proper position. I had a black slave in The Alamo."

"I think any black that competes with a white today gets a better break than a white man. I wish they'd tell me where in the world they have it better than right here in America."

On Indians:

"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

"Have you ever heard of some fellows who first came over to this country? You know what they found? They found a howling wilderness, with summers too hot and winters freezing, and they also found some unpleasant little characters who painted their faces."

On Italians, specifically Frank Capra:

"I`d like to take that little Dago son of a bitch and tear him into a million pieces and throw him into the ocean and watch him float back to Sicily where he belongs."

And so fall's Tricky Dick to an assassins bullet...A Wayne/Ford Ticket sounds really strong, as it not only is a branch the Northeastern Moderate Republicans but also helps John Wayne solidify the Nixonian Democrats (Blue Collar Working Class Whites). I think it would be cool if Shirley Chisholm won the nomination:), but since you havent mentioned her, im inclined to believe that Teddy muscled her out of the Race(One to many Northeastern Liberals). The Party will not stand for Wallace to get the nomination, although hell probably be close...Muskie should with what remains of the party bosses be able to coble together enough votes in the convention to give him the nomination. Hell need a Southern Running mate pretty badly...Connallly, Sanford, Mills or Harris would all be good potential picks. Keep it comming Mav:D

maverick

Banned
All good points, except the one about John Wayne explaining about an interview that did not take place ITTL:p

Thankfully, there are people being paid to keep the President from saying stupid stuff, although as history proofs, they can't keep up 24/7;)

All good points, except the one about John Wayne explaining about an interview that did not take place ITTL:p

Thankfully, there are people being paid to keep the President from saying stupid stuff, although as history proofs, they can't keep up 24/7;)

You mean proves not proofs.