The Great Opportunity: An Alternate History

The problem is that, not to criticise your writing skills, it would be as if Ed Miliband backed the 50% union rule, political levy, larger cuts then the coalition and the NHS Reforms. Though possible successors could be Hillary Benn or Yvette Cooper as Balls would be butterflied by Brown never being Chancellor but the Milibands could still be there.

Does it seem more plausible now? :eek:

Just worked my way through these first few pages. Looking good so far.

The addition of bombs in London, especially the death of an MP; coupled with the much wider international support for intervention, will pretty much silence the anti-war movement regarding Afghanistan (not that it was very large, IIRC). Presumably Blair will decide to back off over Iraq. If he doesn't, and the knowledge that Brown is against it (if it isn't already known) gets out, Blair is screwed. The parliamentary majority is slim enough that it won't need many rebels to see a vote for war defeated. Also, the people, and parliament, will have a figurehead to mobilise them. Not just that, but a popular one who had access to all the reports Blair had, and still claims action is unnecessary, and illegal.

Oops, missed an update: Edit in progress!

EDIT: Well, the NDP / Lib Dem merger was bound to happen sooner or later. Part of the question over NDP rebellion will be the extent to which some of the more vocal grass-roots Tories stayed when the NDP was born. If the ones with the strongest views left when Portillo launched his modernisation, it may be that disgruntled Tories have less of a focal point. Also, leaving them for the Unionists could be dodgy, if the Unionists are still being tarred with the brush labelled "extremist".

Last edited:
Just worked my way through these first few pages. Looking good so far.

The addition of bombs in London, especially the death of an MP; coupled with the much wider international support for intervention, will pretty much silence the anti-war movement regarding Afghanistan (not that it was very large, IIRC). Presumably Blair will decide to back off over Iraq. If he doesn't, and the knowledge that Brown is against it (if it isn't already known) gets out, Blair is screwed. The parliamentary majority is slim enough that it won't need many rebels to see a vote for war defeated. Also, the people, and parliament, will have a figurehead to mobilise them. Not just that, but a popular one who had access to all the reports Blair had, and still claims action is unnecessary, and illegal.

Oops, missed and update Edit in progress!

Good to hear your enjoying it. I'm afraid, having written three whole chapters in a single morning has exhausted my mind and probably will not be able to write chapter 16 for a while. Before I start it what would you like to see covered?

Good to hear your enjoying it. I'm afraid, having written three whole chapters in a single morning has exhausted my mind and probably will not be able to write chapter 16 for a while. Before I start it what would you like to see covered?
I don't know, to be honest. If Bush is determined on Iraq, even without the UK, maybe you could cover the lead up to that, with views from Washington, London and other parts of Europe, both "new" and "old"? Not really knowing the direction you're heading, it's hard to look for little places on the route that I'd like to stop at! :p

You are being wise in listening to comments and criticism. It's helping you keep the TL realistic and plausible, which is all for the good. And if you're knackered, don't rush it, or it'll need more editing, as mistakes will creep in.

Chapter Sixteen
Turbulent Times

(Taken from “Freedom: The War in Iraq” By Max Hastings, Harper Collins 2011)

“…Gordon Brown’s decision to keep Britain out of the Iraq war is considered by many as the moment the conflict was doomed to failure. Without Britain on side Bush lacked the man power and international support to feasibly carry it out. Yet still in March 2003 American troops invaded Iraq. By April Bagdad had fallen to American troops but Saddam Husain had fled the city hours before. By May the whole of Iraq was occupied by American troops, yet Husain remained free and the new Iraqi insurgency had ground the war to a halt. It would stay that way for over two years.

Despite the eventual capture and execution of Saddam Husain and the establishment of a Democratically Elected government and the complete withdrawal from Iraq set for 2014 if the Democrats manage to hang onto the White House after President Kerry’s term ends. Iraq is still deeply ethnically and politically divided, terror attacks are frequent and often severe, the death toll for American troops has exceeded five thousand and the disaster and questionable legality of the war itself - due to no “Weapons of Mass Destruction” ever being found - cost Bush his presidency in 2004 and the collapse of the Republican Party.

Perhaps Gordon Brown’s greatest decision was keeping Britain out of the tragic quagmire of the Iraq War, maybe it was his worst for abandoning an ally…”

(Taken from “Alternate History Discussion Board: After 1900” Dated 14/10/2012)

“…WI: UK joined Iraq War?

AlfieJ: OK guys so I was thinking about this the other day. What if, as it seemed very likely at the time, Gordon Brown had decided to join the American invasion of Iraq, would the extra British troops help win it easier/faster? What would happen to Bush/Republican Party in 2004 as a result?

BlackadderMK2: ASB I’m afraid, Brown in no way was on board with Iraq. Being a historian he was terrified of his Public image after leaving office and his “legacy” he wouldn’t have risked something like that. You would probably need to have a POD way before 2002/3 in order to make it happen. IE: Blair becoming Labour leader.

But if they had joined the war, it would be over quicker for sure, around 2005/7 tops. Probably a lot less causalities but I couldn’t imagine Bush staying on for 2004, I mean who could imagine giving HIM another term?!?!

Meadow: If he had decided to, yeah they could have “won” in the sense of it being decisive and short war (two or three years) and a lot less bloody with possible international support for say France. The victory may have given Bush a boost in the ratings, but he was nowhere near the correct standard to be a competent President. That being said neither was Kerry.

Brown was smart not to join the war and would probably have faced the same impeachment calls on his own leadership following the discovery of no WMD’s. Would the war have darkened his term in office? Possibly, but it wouldn’t have ruined it.

Blair becoming leader in 1992, that’s pretty much borderline ASB…”

(Taken from “Brown and Blair: The Rise and Fall” By Robert Harris, Random House 2007)

“…By May 2004 Tony Blair had been Prime Minister for one year, the recent reshuffle had been controversial to say the least. The sacking of the overall popular Chancellor Robin Cook had shocked many as had replacing Margaret Beckett as Home Secretary. The new foreign Secretary Jack Straw was becoming portrayed by the media as Blair’s evil right hand man, following increased Anti-Terrorist policies coming in and an increase of troops in Afghanistan.

Surprisingly Labour and the NDP were neck and neck in the polls. The recent merge had caused an upset to the left and right of British politics, but the new party had managed to sustain itself and win its first seat as a united organization in the Hartlepool By-Election. Ken Clarke had embodied the persona of the veteran politician and modernizer Blair never was. Another veteran politician Tony Benn famously described him as “more left wing then Tony Blair”. The media as well began to portray the NDP as “Red Tories” or “Blue Liberals”, a piece in the satire magazine Private Eye called the NDP the “left alternative”.

The recent hard-line almost Conservative policies such as the increase in tuition fees for higher education, an increased presence in Afghanistan, plans for ID Cards and rumours of an EU referendum had been harshly criticized by Clarke as “nonsense”. Clarke had begun to run rings around Blair in the House of Commons revealing him as a “privileged, opportunist, political light weight”. Clarke once even said Blair was “living in Brown’s shadow, with nowhere near the commitment and determination that had won him two election victories”.

Despite riding high in the polls since September 1992, things were not going well for Labour…”

Chapter Seventeen
A Question of Health

(Taken from “The Leader: 2003 – 2007” By Tony Blair, Random House 2010)

“…I can remember that morning very clearly, I had got up and was bending down to pick up some files I had dropped, when my chest started hurting. After a couple of seconds it was excruciatingly painful. I called out and Cherie ran down and saw me just before I collapsed. All the stress, coffee, vigorous exercise and work of the last twelve years at the forefront of British politics had taken its toll, my irregular heartbeat didn’t help either. I was terrified that night of what would happen to me. I though it somewhat ironic that the same thing that killed off one possible leader, was trying to kill me...”

(Taken from “Brown and Blair: The Rise and Fall” By Robert Harris, Random House 2007)

“…Tony Blair’s heat attack in January 2005 shocked Britain. The sudden realization of how much stress and work went into being a Prime Minister became apparent to everyone, for two weeks Blair was in hospital, recovering from the heart attack and having an operation to correct his irregular heartbeat. In that time the newly elected Deputy Leader Hilary Benn acted as Prime Minister in interim, a position he was congratulated for in such a time of need and provided almost a hint towards Labour after Blair.

Following his operation, Blair returned to No.10 to continue his work as Prime Minister, he climbed out of the car a different man then he was two weeks ago. He looked old, with grey hair, a thin frame and spectacles. His return to Parliament was greeted by a standing ovation and before PMQs Ken Clarke paid tribute calling him a “Truly dedicated Prime Minister” before beginning the usual grilling session.

Gordon Brown also paid tribute to the Prime Minister for “sticking it out” through such difficult times. However after a brief stint of impressive poll ratings, whispers began to surface of whether Tony Blair was truly up to the job. His health was wavering; he seemed constantly tired and often stumbled in speeches and interviews. Ken Clarke, who was nearly fifteen years older, seemed bright and dynamic.

By May 2006 Labour suffered their worst local elections since the 1980’s, losing five hundred seats and twenty one councils. The NDP made fantastic gains as did the Unionists and Liberals. By the end of Parliament in December 2006 it became apparent that it was the beginning of the end for the labour government, which would soon be celebrating its tenth year in office…”

(Taken from “The Modernizer” By Tony Blair, Random House 2010)

“…There were a lot of questions over my health for the rest of my time in office. The press didn’t see me as up to the job. Which, looking back I realize they were right. Perhaps my worse decision I ever made in terms of my political career was agreeing to Gordon’s “deal” if I had challenged him and lost fair and square I would not have felt the entitlement to the deputy leadership, or the foreign office, or for that matter the leadership. The press portrayed me as a political careerist who felt it was my god give right to be Prime Minister, much like the old Etonian Conservatives In the early 20th century. If I hadn’t have had the sense of entitlement I wouldn’t have stood for the leadership, perhaps Robin would have got it, or Jack, or Alan. Perhaps they would have done better; perhaps they could have won 2007…”

(Taken from “The Backbencher” By Sir Gordon Brown, Random House 2015)

“…We all knew the game was up by 2007. Tony was ill no matter what he said and his policies were controversial to say the least and without substance. He seemed like the old man compared to Clarke, who ran circles around him every week. We had done horrendously in the local elections and the NDP were really biting at our heels. The country wanted change, and I understood that. Six years is the best you can hope for in a government, to get things done and not have to face an embarrassing defeat. In all honesty I was exhausted too, those six years was the best of my life, but still it knackered me. I was hardly looking forward to opposition but I knew it was coming, the party needed to reimage from my day and look ahead.

It all most made me laugh to think that the modernization would be led by a Benn…”

Chapter Eighteen
Time for Change

(Taken from “Hilary Benn: The Rise and Fall” By Robert Harris, Random House 2017)

“…The beginning of Hilary Benn’s unlikely rise to power came about in the 2007 General Election. Labour had been in government for ten years and the country yearned for change. The New Democratic Party – or NDP – led by Ken Clarke were seen as the likely winning party of the election, having made steady gains in by and local elections since 2003 and Clarke’s impressive performance both inside and outside the house as well as his already existing popularity had been able to gain many floating voters in the past months. By June 2007 the NDP were leading in the polls for the first time with an eight point lead, which is why so many people were surprised when Tony Blair decided to call an early election.

In the lead up to the general election, most political minds believed Blair would hold on for five years in the hope that approval ratings would go up. Instead he decided to call an early election, hoping that the sudden announcement would catch the opposition off guard and ensure Labour’s survival albeit with either a reduced majority or a coalition with the Liberals. A move, grossly miscalculated on Blair’s part and one which cost him an election…”

(Taken from “The Backbencher: By Sir Gordon Brown, Random House 2015)

“…I was surprised to say the least at Tony’s decision; I saw an early election despite being low in the polls as a foolish risk that easily backfire. I even told him so, calling him the night before the announcement when I had discovered his plans. I told him it would make more sense to call an election after the last troops came home the year after and would be able to rely on a good feeling rise in support. He would have none of it; he had made up his mind and was going to stick with it. It was out of my hands, my time as leader and as Prime Minister was over. If he wanted to be reckless, then so be it. I thought Tony would go it alone this time, I was wrong…”

(Taken from “The Leader: 2003 – 2007” By Tony Blair, Random House 2010)

“…I saw calling an early election as a way to catch the NDP off guard and ensure a victory, albeit with a smaller majority due to the new seat boundary change. I knew it was a risk but was confident I could pull it off. My plan was to be a campaign of summary talking about all the things Labour had achieved in the last ten years, raising the minimum wage, defeating the Taliban in Afghanistan, bring peace to Northern Ireland, increasing ties with Europe bringing down unemployment and creating a great economy and increased spending on education and healthcare. As well as getting Gordon’s help for the campaign.

I had hoped that would have been enough, but the tide of change was far too strong...”

(Taken from “Hilary Benn: The Rise and Fall” By Robert Harris, Random House 2017)

“…Tony Blair’s final act in his “Forward Together” campaign was a final walkabout on polling day, supported by his former Leader Gordon Brown and his current Deputy Hilary Benn. They went around polling station after polling station, chatting to the voters and making the preparations for another victory part which seemed too good to be true. It was one last hurrah for the Brown-Blair Partnership, the last time they would campaign side by side.

Ken Clarke approached the elections with high hopes, though disappointed by Kennedy’s departure as shadow foreign secretary the year before following the release of a scandal involving his alcoholism he remained confident he – with his knew Foreign Secretary David Cameron – could win the election. Their Liberal and Conservative views were still attracting the centralist vote, which had greatly increased since the official merger with Lib Dems but also votes were being gained from young and right Labour voters following Clarke’s “Change and Hope” campaign launch. He appealed to old shy Tories as well with his obvious experience and “veteran politician” persona.

Simon Hughes also had high hopes entering the elections. Ever since splitting from the Lib Dems, membership and local seat counts had increased mostly from young disaffected left who had begun to see Blair as “a Tory in disguise”. Their policies almost became a “Left Alternative” to Labour and had managed to distance themselves from the NDP with much more left wing positions on Gay Marriage, Millionaire Taxes, lowering the voting age, abolishing the House of Lords, creating fixed term Parliaments and giving greater powers to electorate.

David Davis entered his second General Election with the determination to win over the shire Tories once and for all. With policies opposing Gay Marriage, AV, ID Cards and an elected Lords, helping America troops in Iraq as well as having a referendum on Europe, ensuring the complete surrender of the Real IRA, increasing sanctions on an ever more threatening Iran and lowering the cap on Immigration. Recent elections had seen the Unionists becoming regionalised to Ulster which at all costs they were trying to avoid.

Polls closed later that day an in one of the longest election nights in history the final results came through:

New Democratic: 334 (+92)
Labour: 260 (-80)
Unionist: 25 (+1)
Liberal: 10 (+2)
SNP: 6 (NC)
Sinn Fein: 5 (NC)
Plaid Cymru: 3 (+1)
SDLP: 3 (NC)

The NDP had won the General Election but only just, both the Unionists and the Liberals had gained seats, Ken Clarke became the first New Democratic Prime Minister and the ten year Brownite domination of British politics had come to a close. The Labour Party were back in opposition, another rebirth was about to begin…”

Seems that Labour's time is almost up. And with Blair now looking like the Labour state of health, the press have a good idea of what's going on in the inner workings of the government.

Seems to me like Labour's going to have to perform another reworking of both its image and inner structure.

Clarke must be counting down the days until he gets the keys to No. 10. But he'd best not let it get into his head.

EDIT: Dang. Missed the timing.:eek:

Last edited:
A majority of 22, and a potential Crash on the way. This Honeymoon Period isn't going to last very long methinks.

But Ken Clarke got his 'dream' of entering No. 10 ITTL, something he was denied frequently IOTL. He'd better make the most of it.

The Final Curtain...

Epilogue
A Final Note

(Taken from “The Great Opportunity: Britain Under Labour 1997 – 2007” By Alfie J Steer, Random House 2020)

“…Gordon Brown will be remembered as one of the greatest Prime Ministers in British Political History. His huge moves of reform and modernization reshaped a party and a country and left one of the greatest impacts in modern history. The ideology of Brownism dominated British politics for a decade, brought an end to the Conservative Party a rebirth to Liberal Party and led to the odd creature that is the NDP.

Ken Clarke was Prime Minister for five years, avoiding the Britain's fall into infamous "Second Cash", legalizing Gay Marriage, bringing in Alternative Vote and the final lead up to London Olympics all took place under his watch.

Hilary Benn succeeded Clarke in the 2012 General Election, the first self-proclaimed Socialist for over thirty years, he led Britain through the harsh economic crisis that engulfed Europe for three long years and was the key figure in bringing an end to the “Israeli – Iran War”.

Following his retirement in 2017 William Hague led the NDP to victory and has governed Britain ever since, the man beaten to the Tory Leadership in 1997 became Prime Minister twenty years later. The next election is scheduled for June of next year with Britain’s first ever election debate two weeks before, set to be held between the Prime Minister, Labour Leader Yvette Cooper, Liberal Leader Tim Farron and Unionist Leader Dr Liam Fox.

Sir Gordon Brown is now a lecturer of Politics, Economics and History at his old university in Edinburgh. Michael Portillo was business secretary in Clarke’s government before retiring from politics in 2015 to pursue a career in journalism; he received a huge standing ovation at the NDP conference last year. Hilary Benn is retired and currently in the process of publishing his late Father’s final memoirs. Ken Clarke is sitting in the House of Lords as an honorary peer of both the NDP and the now defunct Conservative Party. Tony Blair is now living with his wife Cherie in California.

This year Brown and Blair made their first public appearance together for over thirteen years at the Labour Party conference. They say they are still “close friends”…”

(Taken from “List of Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom: Wikipedia Article” Dated 1st October 2021)

“…1997 – 2003: Gordon Brown (Labour)
2003 – 2007: Tony Blair (Labour)

2007 – 2012: Ken Clarke (NDP)
2012 – 2017: Hilary Benn (Labour)
2017 – 2021: William Hague (NDP)
2021 – Present: Yvette Cooper (Labour)
…”

The End​

Last edited:
A final big thank you to everyone who read and commented with help/advice/criticism. I will probably be taking a long break from writing for a while before I start my next project (something a little more terrifying :D) but don't worry an extended, fully edited edition and possibly a sequel are in the works.

A terrific ending. I particularly enjoyed the roundup of where everyone ended up. You're getting better and better at TLs, just keep up the research and you won't have to ask for help as often - it's must more satisfying when you find a figure or event for a PoD yourself and can explain it all to us!

A terrific ending. I particularly enjoyed the roundup of where everyone ended up. You're getting better and better at TLs, just keep up the research and you won't have to ask for help as often - it's must more satisfying when you find a figure or event for a PoD yourself and can explain it all to us!

Not much else to say but that. You're getting better and I await the TL you also plan to do, hope the sources I recommended were of some help.

A well Done and extremely convincingly written Timeline. I very much Enjoyed it.
However- Gordon Brown destroying the Republicans ;-)- Too good to Be true.