The Great Crusade (Reds! Part 3)

Bit of an odd contrast considering the UASR's military is even more ideological than the OTL USA and is even more determined to killing fascists. At Least among the rank and file, he'd probably be ostracized even worse than OTL.
Worse come to it, cycle him into a job pushing pencils in the bureaucracy. Win-win.

Well, there is this...
Starting in September 1934, membership in the Standing Militia became compulsory upon reaching the age of 19 or graduating high school. All permanent residents were required to give one year of service in the Standing Militia. Conscientious objectors and those unfit for militia service would give a year of non-military or auxiliary service instead.

It doesn't seem like too much of a leap to think that, if called up to the Armed Forces, conscientious objectors would get a similar deal

As far as I know, the UASR do have a gulag system where many reactionaries were sent but i doubt that conditions could be as hard as that of the Soviet Union, though prisons are totalitarian institutions by default in some way, even with reforms introduced.

For conscientious objectors, there is an alternate national service for them. Even the US in OTL do have one, I believe.

As far as I know, the UASR do have a gulag system where many reactionaries were sent but i doubt that conditions could be as hard as that of the Soviet Union, though prisons are totalitarian institutions by default in some way, even with reforms introduced.

For conscientious objectors, there is an alternate national service for them. Even the US in OTL do have one, I believe.

Really, this is the first time I heard about it? Because every time I read about the UASR dealing with reactionaries it was by executing them after a show trial, not send them to a labor camp.

Really, this is the first time I heard about it? Because every time I read about the UASR dealing with reactionaries it was by executing them after a show trial, not send them to a labor camp.

Thats part of it but I assume that there will be Americanized more humane labor camps but without the intense policing and brutal treatment of prisoners, at least most of the time. Things will gradually change after the wartime amnesty and the Second Cultural Revolution.

Thats part of it but I assume that there will be Americanized more humane labor camps but without the intense policing and brutal treatment of prisoners, at least most of the time. Things will gradually change after the wartime amnesty and the Second Cultural Revolution.

Except there's no mention of labor camps throughout all the threads of the TL

Except there's no mention of labor camps throughout all the threads of the TL
Yeah, it always makes references to prisons (like Lucky Luciano is on Riker's Island, and I think Alcatraz becomes a pentitentary for mid-level fascist leaders like George Marshall), or to large show trials for the big leaders (with minor members being recruited into an espionage network, or being unceremoniously executed).

I have a question: what happened to the Library of Congress?
I'd imagine it largely stays the same in terms of function (except for its role in copyright management), but is placed under the jurisdiction of the Secreatariat of Culture.

Yeah, it always makes references to prisons (like Lucky Luciano is on Riker's Island, and I think Alcatraz becomes a pentitentary for mid-level fascist leaders like George Marshall), or to large show trials for the big leaders (with minor members being recruited into an espionage network, or being unceremoniously executed).

Prisons =/= labor camp

I see. I understand what you all mean comrades.

I remember a post of IP regarding how reactionaries are being dealt with from disenfranchisement to labor camps, but the labor camp part may not be cannon.

That's a long time ago.

I guess this is better for the UASR not to have gulags or labor camps. Why not? :)

One of the biggest OTL controversies of the Soviet war was the fate of the Free Polish Army OTL.

During the OTL, the Soviet Union often hindered the efforts of Polish resistance fighters, tried to make them out as "Nazi collaborators," and often locked them up in prison camps. The Soviets were so eager to destroy non-communist Polish resistance, there is even a theory that the Kielce Pogrom was started by the NKVD to discredit non-communist Poland in the eyes of the West.

ITTL, do the non-Communist Polish resistors still have a bad relationship with Comintern, or are they willing partners with the UASR-led Comintern in Poland's liberation?

The thing about GULAG as an institution wad that it's existence depended on making criminals. Forced prison labor was part of the Stalinist primitive accumulation strategy, and that entailed as a matter of institutional design the arbitrary and capricious arrest of millions.

While obviously the UASR has no need for such methods, prison labor was already a major part of the US prison system, and that will continue after the Revolution, with greatly swelled ranks of reactionaries. While more extensive than OTL convict labor in America, inmates have more rights, including remuneration. And the system largely becomes obsolescent in WW2, as most of the prison population are granted reprieve, commutation or amnesty to free up labor for the war economy.

I have a question: what happened to the Library of Congress?
It's still around. Its patron institution is the All-Union Congress of Soviets now.
One of the biggest OTL controversies of the Soviet war was the fate of the Free Polish Army OTL.

During the OTL, the Soviet Union often hindered the efforts of Polish resistance fighters, tried to make them out as "Nazi collaborators," and often locked them up in prison camps. The Soviets were so eager to destroy non-communist Polish resistance, there is even a theory that the Kielce Pogrom was started by the NKVD to discredit non-communist Poland in the eyes of the West.

ITTL, do the non-Communist Polish resistors still have a bad relationship with Comintern, or are they willing partners with the UASR-led Comintern in Poland's liberation?
France's repudiation of their mutual defense treaty with Poland was a massive blow to the establishment. Communists use this to great effect in resistance, and so most Polish political groups get pulled into alignment to the Comintern.

France's repudiation of their mutual defense treaty with Poland was a massive blow to the establishment. Communists use this to great effect in resistance, and so most Polish political groups get pulled into alignment to the Comintern.

Does that mean communist rule will become more palatable to the Poles, or will it still be unbearable for the average citizen?

Does that mean communist rule will become more palatable to the Poles, or will it still be unbearable for the average citizen?
You'll get more details about post-war Eastern Europe after the war is over. But suffice to say, it won't be a retread of OTL for obvious reasons.