The Farangi Raj, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love India

1757-1763
Battle of Plassey- Mir Jafar, who in OTL kept his 35000 troops from fighting and became puppet Nawab for the British as a reward, decides against betraying Siraj ud Daulah, the Nawab of Bengal (POD). Siraj and his French allies overrun the British position, killing Robert Clive in the process. French control and influence in the Bengal becomes established. The Seige of Madras is successful in the next year and with British power in India effectively broken, the French Compagnie des Indes Orientales (CIO), under Dupleix, becomes the predominant European power in South Asia. Other theatres of the Seven Years' War go much as OTL. Treaty of Paris 1763 confirms French hegemony in India, allowing the EIC to retain Calcutta and Madras as demilitarized trading posts and former British sepoys having the option of enlisting with the French. The Great Mughal, Shah Alam II revokes his ancestor's farman to the EIC, awarding a similiar document to the COI, granting them offically recognised status and trade privileges in the, now mostly theoretical, Mughal Empire. Proclamation of 1763 forbids European settlement in the newly conquered areas of America, rankling settlers.

1764-1769
British attempts to regain influence in India are rebuffed, and results in the loss of Bombay to the French. EIC headquarters transferred to Malacca, attempting to gain a stranglehold on the Straights trade. Napoleone Buonaparte, a man who will later become famous in Indian and Italian history is born in Ajaccio, Corsica. Pasquale Paoli recognized as Prince of Corsica by France and Britain. (In OTL, 1769 was the year French troops finally subdued Corsica. In TTL, Genoa decided not to sell rights to Corsica in addition to de facto recognizing its independence by not sending any more soldiers.In addition, Carlo Buonaparte, Napoleone's father is one of Paole's lieutenents.) French Navy and merchant ships undergo a rapid expansion, with dozens of new keels laid each month, stimulating a growing middle class of artisans and merchants in the process. At this point there are two routes to India from France: The Atlantic route, depending on Portuguese and Dutch ports in Africa for water and supply; and the Med route, typically from Marseilles or another French Mediterranean port, to Alexandria, Egypt, overland and -river to one of several Red Sea ports and from there to India. Both of these routes were regarded, and rightfully so, as quite unreliable, facing dangers from pirates, hostile natives and having to rely on foreigners for required supplies. COI officials would soon realize that something would need to be done to remedy this situation. The Great Mughal inducts the COI, in the person of Dupleix, into the Mughal hierarchy as diwan (chancellor) of Bengal. This, together with the earlier farman, provided the legal basis for French presence and rule (raj) in India. EIC gains interests in Annam, with a factory in Saigon.

1770-1779
British attempts to assert more direct control of its North American colonies leads to outright rebellion in southern New England and Virginia. Sympathisers and loyalists in other colonies spread the rebellion, which is also encouraged by heavy-handed British treatment of innocents, including the use of native allies and German mercenaries. Iroquois League dissolves as member tribes take sides in the rebellion. French support of the Continentals (as they become known) takes the form of money, ships, soldiers and advisors to help train the Continental Army. Meanwhile, back in Corsica, a fifteen year old Napoleone Buonaparte enlists aboard a COI ship to India and accords himself well in battles against Algerian and Egyptian pirates before reaching Alexandria. He then boards another ship from Suez to Bombay, where he finds himself a position as an artilleryman in the Company army.

Excerpt from "Napoleone Buonaparte: Un Grande Uomo", M. Naccio, 1964, Royal Presses, Rome:
"The young Napoleone was a curious soul, often venturing, against his parents' wishes it should be added, to the Ajaccio docks, learning French from the sailors and wondering at the majesty of their ships, wondering at the might of their nation, wondering why Corsica hadn't achieved anything of its like. Even in his youth, he realized the importance of France's size and trade and desired the same for his country, preferably with him at its head. To this end, he set out to make his name and his fortune, his goal always being to return to his homeland and make it as strong and wealthy as possible, as strong as France."

Well, that's Part 1. Any comments, questions, corrections and nitpicks are welcome and encouraged.

Also, link to the original discussion thread.

Last edited:
Not bad, I look forward to updates

By the way "farangi" does not mean French, i looked it up and it apparantly means Foreigner.

Valdemar II

Banned

By the way "farangi" does not mean French, i looked it up and it apparantly means Foreigner.

It derides from Frank/French, and is a good term to use.

Nice start, I hope you avoid the French Revolution, or at least push it a few decades out in the future.

Last edited:
I remember reading that farang/fereng and its variations means 'Frank' in Old Arabic (the crossbow was called 'qaws ferengi', or 'Frankish bow'). Edit: darn, too slow.

It does indeed mean foreigner, as well as European and French. It's really just too good a name to not use.

It derides from Frank/French, and is there a good term to use.

Nice start, I hope you avoid the French Revolution, or at least push it a few decades out in the future.

You'll just have to wait and see...

Thank you both, very much appreciated. And the aptly named Slowpoke.

Hashasheen

Banned
I'm liking this so far. But how much of a naval strategist was Napolean? :confused: I assumed his skills to be in artillery and general land strategy to be honest...

It derides from Frank/French, and is a good term to use.

The most significant development here is the rise of a middle class of trader and shipbuilder, I think.

I'm liking this so far. But how much of a naval strategist was Napolean? :confused: I assumed his skills to be in artillery and general land strategy to be honest...

The point is that he won't get the formal schooling and artillerie training he got from the french military school ITTL.

I remember reading that farang/fereng and its variations means 'Frank' in Old Arabic (the crossbow was called 'qaws ferengi', or 'Frankish bow').

I am really disapointed Evolved Saurian didn't use Ferengi, why waste a perfectly good star trek reference when you can use it.

The most significant development here is the rise of a middle class of trader and shipbuilder, I think.

The point is that he won't get the formal schooling and artillerie training he got from the french military school ITTL.

Both true. However I am also operating under two assumptions, being that a good deal of his ability was natural talent and 'on the job training', as it were, would be easier against Indian armies than against European. Also, Nappy's gonna be learning from anyone who can teach him anything he thinks is useful, languages, math, leadership, etc. Even in this timeline, he's going quite ambitious and driven.

I am really disapointed EvolvedSaurian didn't use Ferengi, why waste a perfectly good star trek reference when you can use it.

There is that, aye, but I fear Ferengi may well be copyrighted. Plus I like being different.

He briefly considered enrolling in the Royal Navy in the 1780s IIRC.

True, but IIRC that was motivated in large part by his early Francophobia. Here, his country hasn't been invaded by France, so he's Francophilic from early on.

True, but IIRC that was motivated in large part by his early Francophobia. Here, his country hasn't been invaded by France, so he's Francophilic from early on.

Indeed!

I forgot to mention how much I am enjoying this timeline so far, I'm subscribed. I enjoy TLs where France manages to do better in OTL. All the better when the Bourbons don't get dethroned! :D

Indeed!

I forgot to mention how much I am enjoying this timeline so far, I'm subscribed. I enjoy TLs where France manages to do better in OTL. All the better when the Bourbons don't get dethroned! :D

There's a lot more supporters of the Capetian dynasty than I thought. :) From the looks of things, I assumed that everyone was a Hapsburg fan.

There's a lot more supporters of the Capetian dynasty than I thought. :) From the looks of things, I assumed that everyone was a Hapsburg fan.

Habsburgs are alright, but not my favorites. The Bourbons take that spot for me. Not the Orléanists though, Mr. Thiers! I hate them with a passion :p

Habsburgs are alright, but not my favorites. The Bourbons take that spot for me. Not the Orléanists though, Mr. Thiers! I hate them with a passion :p

That's understandable. I'm sympathetic to legitimists (sometimes I sway to a more Unionist view), but I'm definitely not a Blanc d'Espagne!

Indeed!

I'm honored. *bows*

That's understandable. I'm sympathetic to legitimists (sometimes I sway to a more Unionist view), but I'm definitely not a Blanc d'Espagne!

I'm very not a Habsburg fan, nor that of the Hanoverians. These aspects will likely be shown. I also have some interesting ideas involving just about everywhere else, so yeah, fun for everyone. Except the Habsburgs and Hanoverians. ;)

1780-1783
End of the American Revolution and formal recognition of the United Provinces of North America, but not before the COI takes the opportunity to relieve the EIC of its Straghts ports. Soon afterwards there are small- and large-scale riots in Britain and out and out insurrections in Ireland from both the Catholic and Presbyterian populations, protesting against the taxes raised to fight the war in North America. Louis XVI, on advice from certain of his advisors, those in debt to the middle class, calls for the Estates-General to gather, for the first time in centuries. He attempts to forge a workable representational form of government, but this takes some time. After much arguing, debate, bribery and the occasional threat, this is what is worked out between the King of France and the Estates-General: First, the three Estates shall be as follows: 1st - Clergy and landowning nobility, 2nd - Merchants and other untitled wealth, 3rd - Commons, primarily peasants at this point. Second, that the First and Second Estates may propose legislation, including new taxes, but it must be passed by a majority in that Estate as well as at least one other Estate. The King may veto proposed legislation, but this may be overruled by a two-thirds vote in at least two Estates. Third, the (Second and Third) Estates set their own qualifications and terms and terms for elections. In addition, at the advice of the new Second Estate, the King establishes the Bank of France. as well as updating and unifying the taxation system, eliminating the various tax pays, as well as lowering the taille and extending it in a small measure to noble lands. Both of these measures provide for a more economically stable France, as the Estates reforms have made it more politically stable.

1784-1788
In India, the outbreak of the Franco-Marathi War provides the young artillery naik (corporal) Buonaparte with his first big chance. The Marathis, reknowned and feared alike throughout India as cavalry raiders, find themselves outmatched by the French, who've imported Arabian bloodstock from Egypt and Oman specifically to counter Marathi horsemanship. Corporal Buonaparte soon proves his worth as a tactician, using his artillery to great effect during several skirmishes, and gaining several promotions and a loyal following among his subordinates. Indeed, even the Marathis learn to fear , as well as respect, this military genius. The war ends with the establishment of three Marathi states, based in and named for Poona, Kohlapur and Ahmadnagar, as vassals of the COI, with France gaining direct control of the Western Ghats from Surat to Portuguese Goa. These vassals, or princely states as they become known, join Mysore, Hyderabad and Travancore as Indian states loyal to the French. It was during this war that the now Sub-Lieutenant Buonaparte truly realized the economic potential of India, looting large areas in order to fund his future plans.

Part 2 is now up, as I'm sure you've just read.