The Enola Gay crashes on the tarmac and Little Boy detonates, destroying the worlds largest airfield.

I read once that, had the Enola Gay crash landed, there was a chance that the atomic payload could detonate in the explosion. This is not true of Fat Man or subsequently developed nuclear warheads. Unfortunately I cannot track down where I read this information, but for the sake of ALT history, let's say that it is correct, and that it happened.
On August 6th, 1945, at 0230, the Enola Gay suffers a catastrophic malfunction and crashlands shortly after takeoff. The bomb detonates and destroys much of the island. The population of the island at the time was 40,000 American soldiers and support staff, and was home to a massive amount of bombers being used to hit the Japanese home islands. What butterflies do you think would have occurred immediately following the incident? Could/Would Nagasaki still be hit?
More importantly, would either the Japanese or the American public find out about it? It would be difficult if not impossible to hid a disaster of such magnitude, even with the wartime censor, though its remote nature would make it easier than if it occurred on the mainland. If the Japanese did find out, would it be seen as something akin the the Divine Wind that protected the islands from the Mongol invasions, inspiring them to continue the fight? In an effort to save face, would the US government blame the Japanese for the "attack?". The American public would blame them most likely, unaware that it was our own weapon that caused the destruction, and this could shift the public mood to call for a greater dismemberment of the Japanese government/state. If the American's let the public be deceived, there would likely be calls for revenge for this second, far bloodier Pearl Harbor.
If the end of the war is delayed, would the Russians enter Hokkaido? If the nature of the catastrophe did become known, would we see an America far more predisposed to an elimination of nuclear weapons?
Thoughts? I was going to make this a timeline, but don't think I will ever get around to it. Someone else is welcome to take a crack at it.

I read once that, had the Enola Gay crash landed, there was a chance that the atomic payload could detonate in the explosion. This is not true of Fat Man or subsequently developed nuclear warheads. Unfortunately I cannot track down where I read this information, but for the sake of ALT history, let's say that it is correct, and that it happened.
On August 6th, 1945, at 0230, the Enola Gay suffers a catastrophic malfunction and crashlands shortly after takeoff. The bomb detonates and destroys much of the island. The population of the island at the time was 40,000 American soldiers and support staff, and was home to a massive amount of bombers being used to hit the Japanese home islands. What butterflies do you think would have occurred immediately following the incident? Could/Would Nagasaki still be hit?
More importantly, would either the Japanese or the American public find out about it? It would be difficult if not impossible to hid a disaster of such magnitude, even with the wartime censor, though its remote nature would make it easier than if it occurred on the mainland. If the Japanese did find out, would it be seen as something akin the the Divine Wind that protected the islands from the Mongol invasions, inspiring them to continue the fight? In an effort to save face, would the US government blame the Japanese for the "attack?". The American public would blame them most likely, unaware that it was our own weapon that caused the destruction, and this could shift the public mood to call for a greater dismemberment of the Japanese government/state. If the American's let the public be deceived, there would likely be calls for revenge for this second, far bloodier Pearl Harbor.
If the end of the war is delayed, would the Russians enter Hokkaido? If the nature of the catastrophe did become known, would we see an America far more predisposed to an elimination of nuclear weapons?
Thoughts? I was going to make this a timeline, but don't think I will ever get around to it. Someone else is welcome to take a crack at it.

Specifically because they feared a crash the Little Boy bomb was not 'armed' with it's explosives until well after take off. Fat Man on the other hand they could only remove the detonation timer which meant that in a crash the bombs explosives might still go off but not in the manner that would initiate an nuclear detonation.

Randy

Truman Library in Independence MO. Has the arming plugs from the Nagasaki bomb on display.

"I feel strangely compelled to ignore orders and put in the arming plugs right now, while we're still on the tarmac."

"And I suddenly forgot how to fly the plane, just as we started our takeoff. Damn!"

Truman Library in Independence MO. Has the arming plugs from the Nagasaki bomb on display.

"I feel strangely compelled to ignore orders and put in the arming plugs right now, while we're still on the tarmac."

"And I suddenly forgot how to fly the plane, just as we started our takeoff. Damn!"

The OP was talking about the Hiroshima bomb or Little Boy which was not the Implosion bomb or Fat Man. Little Boy required bags of explosive to be inserted prior to "arming" which was done well after take off. Fat Man required a complex timing mechanism to detonate the explosive lens' to get an implosion.

Just so we're clear here :)

Randy

The OP was talking about the Hiroshima bomb or Little Boy which was not the Implosion bomb or Fat Man. Little Boy required bags of explosive to be inserted prior to "arming" which was done well after take off. Fat Man required a complex timing mechanism to detonate the explosive lens' to get an implosion.

Just so we're clear here :)

Randy
I wanted to show an example of the Arming Plugs used on Little Boy and Fat Man to let people understand what they were like.

If Little Boy goes off as you say it does, the Marianas get shut down as a base. There might be misgivings about Fat Man but my money is on an atomic bombing happening anyway after a short delay to ensure such a mishap never repeats, using Okinawa/Ie Shima as a takeoff point. Perhaps Fat Man ends up being dropped on Little Boy's intended target, Hiroshima.

If Little Boy goes off as you say it does, the Marianas get shut down as a base. There might be misgivings about Fat Man but my money is on an atomic bombing happening anyway after a short delay
How long delay?
What would happen if Soviets attack on 8th of August and Japan surrenders on 15th with no nuclear attacks?

How long delay?
What would happen if Soviets attack on 8th of August and Japan surrenders on 15th with no nuclear attacks?
I'd say between 2 and 4 weeks.

Don't see the Soviets attacking any earlier than late September, honestly. The easiest option for invading Hokkaido is airborne and even then it will take a while to plan and put together such an operation.

A detonation of Little Boy would be in department of Act of God or direct intervention of an Alien Space Bat because the bomb wasn't armed until well into the flight.

Fat Man would have required a similar scenario...plutonium bombs really need a specific sequence of events to detonate.

I remember a discussion about infomercials (at least the black and white "has this happened to you") actually being a horror anomaly in the universe where suddenly normal humans forgot for a brief period how to do common tasks until it passed over them.