The Dukes of Fernau, for now.

Got ghosted by exam weeks (Calculus last week, Physics this week) in uni, it's good to come back and have a full array of chapters to read! I think i don't have much to comment on other than that it has been an interesting experience to follow along the development of now-crowding Fernau, that and, poor Charlotte.

I also hope Marie is literate (concerning Martin's gunshot-in-the-dark letter), although my gut feeling says that irony makes it to not be so :p. Besides, i wonder what is/are Martin's "letter language(s?)", because when he wrote to Marie without knowing if she reads and writes, it came to me the question...In what language is he writing her? Considering their interaction, French is the obvious answer, but it is funny to me the thought of a baltic exilee teenager living in Bioko having correspondence with an african girl up north in the continent in  French, like, French has nothing to do with none of the people involved, nor none of the places involved, lol.

Got ghosted by exam weeks (Calculus last week, Physics this week) in uni, it's good to come back and have a full array of chapters to read! I think i don't have much to comment on other than that it has been an interesting experience to follow along the development of now-crowding Fernau, that and, poor Charlotte.

Hope exams went well!

I also hope Marie is literate (concerning Martin's gunshot-in-the-dark letter), although my gut feeling says that irony makes it to not be so :p.
I'll leave that at "we shall see." In this case, it means that I haven't previously considered the question. This reminds me of a fun factoid OTL that I've missed the chance to use TTL: Jakob once wrote to the King of Kombo. In Latin, because that was the language of stately correspondence. Oops. TTL's Jakob has passed the point where he might make such a mistake. Perhaps I'll have another monarch make such an error in his stead.

Besides, i wonder what is/are Martin's "letter language(s?)", because when he wrote to Marie without knowing if she reads and writes, it came to me the question...In what language is he writing her? Considering their interaction, French is the obvious answer, but it is funny to me the thought of a baltic exilee teenager living in Bioko having correspondence with an african girl up north in the continent in  French, like, French has nothing to do with none of the people involved, nor none of the places involved, lol.
Good question! Given his education, I'd assume Latin, German, Latvian (which I have the sense was further from modern Latvian than German of the time was from modern German, because lower literacy and different languages influencing it), French, English, and Dutch. He could probably muster pleasantries in Russian, Polish or a mangling of Swedish or Danish, but no more than pleasantries.
The more a language would have things worth learning written in it, the more Martin would have learned to read and write in that language.

How is the docks situation on Fernau? Looking at Google maps no A+ tier natural option seems apparent, so it will probably be a high effort earthworks project with channels and sea walls. Good thing that unskilled labour is readily available as long as there are some reliable hands to hold whips.

And for a long term way to increase the numbers of reliable hands, Martin seems to have ideas.

I've been finding the next chapter requires a bit extra research (some for real people who would be at a meeting such at Saint Helena is hosting, some to get my African geography straight from Loango south to the skeleton coast).

I've drawn my own map, and put a bunch of little Congo-region kingdoms on it, because I can't find any map that shows all I seem to need to know for this time period. Equally, though, I need to look at South America, because this is a Portugal / WIC dispute first and foremost. So, things I'd never looked into need looking into. I'm getting closer, and organizing knowledge I'll draw upon for future chapters as well, but it's certainly stalled our Saint Helena chapter.

How is the docks situation on Fernau? Looking at Google maps no A+ tier natural option seems apparent, so it will probably be a high effort earthworks project with channels and sea walls. Good thing that unskilled labour is readily available as long as there are some reliable hands to hold whips.
If you zoom in on Malabo in Google Maps, there's a curving peninsula - an almost-semicircle around the eastern side of the Malabo port. That peninsula is the edge of a submerged crater. As you say, perhaps not A+, but a place with enough stability and steep drop-offs to form the basis for a port. I could think of no particular reason any immigrants would choose a different spot for mooring their ships on the north side of the island. So, Malabo's port is Saulains' port too.

How good are the local woods, be they mangroves or tropical hardwood, for shipbuilding?
Local as in on Fernau, I'm not yet completely certain. Local as in fill your boat and be back within 4 days? Many options in each direction. https://www.glen-l.com/tropical-boatbuilding-woods/ gives plenty of possibilities - it's nice to draw on a source like this, because it gives a better sense of what could have been discovered as a boatbuilding timber rather than simply using whatever locals were already making canoes and rafts out of.

edit to add: the reason I'm not yet certain enough is because Fernau has thus far had to focus on building up more fundamental things than its shipbuilding capacity. My woods research thus far focused on construction (where mangroves were an interesting curiosity). It didn't take long for Europeans to discover which and where the good shipbuilding woods were (teak was transplanted to Indonesia by Europeans, and Indonesia is a world leader in teak supply now).
I have also found information on Equatoguinean flora disproportionately focused on the mainland (Rio Muni) and not the islands, while fauna information is more evenly split between mainland and islands.

Last edited:
69. Saint Helena, September 1656 New
The Saint Helena Longhouse - part 2

Different nations and companies sent their representatives from different directions to reach Saint Helena. Winds and currents made reaching the island an easy matter if you were coming from the south. In the southern hemisphere, winds and currents generally went counterclockwise around any ocean basin. Saint Helena was east-of-centre in the South Atlantic, so winds and currents would help you there from, say, the Cape of Good Hope, and hinder you from other places.

Unfortunately, most guests were coming from Europe, meaning those winds and currents were a hindrance.

The British, Portuguese, and Jakob himself travelled generally together from Lisbon, though they paused at different places along the way. Jakob lingered longest at Bandschul, the Portuguese at Cacheu, while the British had no great reason to linger any longer in any particular place.

The Dutch came from Brazil, sailing in a counterclockwise curlicue to seek the favour of the winds and currents, as though swirling around a drain midway between Brazil and Luanda.

The Danes came via the Guinea coast to the possession of Anomabo, having fought the currents to reach it, and took Martin up on an offer to sail with him the rest of the way. They headed south to Loango, past the mouth of the Zaire river, where even the seawater was fresh, then to Kongo and even Luanda before finally turning west into the ocean. They had left other ships and traders at each stop, and picked up other guests to come to Saint Helena.

France, Spain, the Pope, and even Catalunya sent only letters.

The ships all arrived by September 4th.

- - -

"Mother!"

"Martin, I swear you have gotten taller." Martin chose not to embrace his mother yet, though they had not seen each other for half a year. He stood back a half step, looking formal. His glance down took in his baby brother Ferdinand in her arms, grown so much in his life spent mostly at sea.

"I am so sorry about Charlotte. We tried to keep her alive, but her fever still took her. I wanted you to at least see her again."

Formality had its limits, and the duchess was beyond hers already. Still, Martin needed words first.

"Martin. I know you would have left nothing out, done everything you could have done for her. God's will is mysterious." She saw her son's face wince momentarily at that. "She was still so young, so... little."

As his mother's voice broke on the word 'little', Martin looked at his baby brother, not yet a year old. He stepped nearer. She'd expected to help strengthen him, not the other way around. My son is a man in yet another way. I lose a daughter to fever and a son to adulthood.

- - -

Upstairs, September 5th:

"We welcome you all to Saint Helena, gentlemen. This morning we will only get to know one another. I will then leave you free to roam this island should you choose, return to your ships if you choose, or relax in the nicer coves. I will insist that no one hunt on the island. The goats, sheep, ducks and cattle are needed to feed the island's guests year-round. The dodos are fearless in a daft way, and are best avoided. The islanders have quite fallen for them all the same, so please, help them avoid injury."

Freshly-baked sourdough bread, fresh fruit and yoghurt were served to all who'd climbed the 700 steps. This was not everyone: a couple of Martin's passengers from Courland's Ark were still recovering from sea-sickness. The meal was simple, but somewhat of a flex: you may have travelled further, to more exotic places, but here is simple, perfect European-ness realized on a rock in the South Atlantic.

Jakob introduced the leads of each delegation, and left them to introduce those accompanying them.
The Dutch delegation was led by Johan Maurits von Nassau-Siegen, governor of Brazil and Prince . WIC or VOC men could only defer to him. The Portuguese had sent an unknown man from a famous family, Henrique de Noronha, looking every part the maritime merchant, and able to speak some German seemingly learned from sailors.

Denmark had sent Ulrik Christian Gyldenløve - the second royal bastard the Danes have sent to deal with me, Jakob thought. However many islands Denmark had, Ulrik looked like he'd prefer more land around him than Saint Helena offered. Left behind in Anomabo was Hendrik Carloff. Britain had sent Sir Nicolas Crispe, head of the Royal Guinea Company, a merger of rival English and Scottish Guinea Companies that had amounted to little separately.

"In addition to your own esteemed selves, there are guests my son brought, who we shall hope to meet when they are recovered from the sea voyage. And there are letters."

Jakob held each letter up in turn, summarizing.

"France sends.... regards, mostly. They value peace and trade the world over, and for our purposes, in the Caribbean and Senegal in particular. They reaffirm their claim on Cayenne and Sinnamary, should the scope of our conversations reach so far west. Spain sends regrets, and insist the Treaty of Tordesillas be respected. The Pope wishes us all to make the lands and seas of which we shall speak places of welcome for those who spread the word of Christ. Charles Jacques Huault de Montmagny writes to inform us that the Knights Hospitaller offer Saint Barthélemy to the highest bidder, though a Catholic buyer and governor would be preferred. Dislodging the previous governor will likely be necessary. President de Calvo of Catalunya writes that he regrets he as of yet lacks the navy to play a part in these waters, but hopes to trade with us all some year soon. All these letters and any documents accompanying them I shall leave on this table for those who wish to read more detail for themselves."

And with that, the first official business was over. Side conversations began, smoothing the way for the next day's diplomacy. The remainder of the day was for rest, socializing, or the pleasure of walking for people who'd spend too much time on ships of late.

- - -

"These men who've never taken a sea journey of more than two months don't appreciate what you've made here, Duke Jakob."

"Have you yourself sailed beyond the Cape, Prince Johan?"

"No, but I've heard from those who have about your island here, and how they were already so glad to stop here even when you were less far along than you are now. With this longhouse, and all you're establishing to support it, they'll love it even more. Did you know some WIC governor proposed taking this island from you?"

"I didn't, but I'm hardly surprised."

"And I of course wouldn't have shared that if I thought it had any chance of surprising you. They don't call you the Skipper Duke for nothing. Everything here says you understand the world from a sailor's perspective, if not an admiral's. It stands to reason you can anticipate the perspective of a pirate."

"And Saint Helena was protected from this invasion by... bureaucracy, I take it?"

"Men who have visited Saint Helena in its Kettler era expressed their horror that men who haven't would seek to ruin a good thing. Good both in terms of the hospitality here and in terms of this being the one place Dutch and Portuguese ships don't battle one another."

"Neutrality never paid me such dividends in Europe, as you know. But here, it's a great success."

"Tell me, how often has this island divested Europe-bound ships of some fraction of their precious cargo? Some captains or sailors paying in a currency that might more rightfully belong to the ship's owners?"

"Have you met our lovely dodo birds? Those came from somewhere in the Indian Ocean." Johann only smirked. Jakob returned it. "If we kept precise records of such trades, fewer such trades would occur. Is that a better answer?"

"A fair and diplomatic one, as I've yet to earn a better one. But I will earn a better one before this visit ends. One more question: why build this longhouse 700 steps up a mountain?"

"I'm told the idea was that if a sailor intends to be too drunk to walk down 700 steps, or is unable to pay to spend the night Upstairs, then his value to us, and ours to him, is better exchanged as near to his ship as possible. On the other hand, a sailor able to afford to stay Upstairs, or prudent enough to stop drinking while still able to walk the stairs safely, deserves all that Upstairs can offer him. You might think of having 700 stairs between themselves and the cheaper drunks is part of the service we offer our most valued clients."

"Skipper Duke indeed! Would you by chance be open to bribes to reveal which WIC and VOC officers pay to remain Upstairs?"

Jakob laughed. "I don't see why not. The bribe would have to exceed the price they'd pay to keep their anonymity, of course. In any event, would those be the officers to promote, or the ones to suspect of fraud?"

"Either could be true, of course. Perhaps even both. But I'm sure it would be the interesting ones, either way."

- - -

Each party at the talks was to supply food for half of one meal, while Saint Helena supplied the rest. September 6th began with a half-Danish breakfast. No one's taste buds remembered the Danish contribution afterward. A purée of banana and sauermilch with cashew nuts and berry preserves outshone anything one might bring by ship.

Louise Charlotte started the day off, once the bowls and plates were cleared. Low German seemed to be the best lingua franca. There were occasional pauses for translation.

"Gentlemen, come to this smaller table, please. This is Tevel ben Elisha, who most of you will have met yesterday. He has been Jakob's governor in Fernau do Po, but for today, what is important is that all Couronian mapmaking has reported to Tevel for roughly the last decade. Tevel?"

"My lady. My lords. Duke Jakob commissioned this map of the South Atlantic Ocean - or Aethiopian Ocean if you prefer - for this gathering. Many of the coastlines you see here are copied from other maps. The Duke's own ships have helped us add detail in a few places. The map lacks colour by design, but you have some notable river mouths, islands, capes and points, and some names for places added. Passing roughly in a clockwise circle from the top, Senegal, Gambia, Casamance, Cacheu, then Cape 3 points, various factories including Elmina, Fernau, Principe, São Tomé, Loango, the Zaire river, Luanda, Benguela, eventually the Cape of Good Hope. To the south, the islands of Tristau da Cunha, then the nothing until you reach the southern part of South America in the bottom left corner. Moving up the left, Brazil's coast, before it curves away to toward the mouth of the Amazon river, past that, finally the Guianas. In the Ocean, here we are in Saint Helena, there is Ascension, Trinidade, your namesake Noronha."

Tevel stepped back. Jakob took over.

"Does anyone find anything already on the map objectionable?"

"No Saint Matthew Island?"

In other company, Tevel might have laughed. Instead: "No, sir."

"Well then, no objections." Now Tevel laughed, and wasn't alone in doing so. With help, he picked up a pane of glass slightly larger than the map from another table nearby, then laid it on top of the map.

"Glassworks, Jakob? Here?"

"Alas, no. In Fernau or Bandschul, soon. Either can ship good glass here." He paused to stare out at the sea for a second, as though shuffling his plans. "But we digress."

Tevel opened a box to reveal painted stones, painted wooden discs and pots of paint. He nodded to Martin.

"Tevel's map lacked colour so that we might add it. Orange for the Dutch. Pink for Britain. Green for Portugal. Red for Denmark. Black for Courland. Other colours for others as needed. If you hold a place today, place a disc there. If you claim a place someone else holds, place a stone on top of their disc. If you claim a place no one holds, be patient."

He placed a black disc on Fernau, another on Saint Helena, a third at the Gambia river, a fourth on Carolusborg, the best of the forts taken from Sweden. Tobago would have lain beyond the map's left edge.
In short order, various hands added discs of other colours. Martin added blue at Saint-Louis, just north of the Gambia.
Then, green stones were placed atop various orange discs, in Brazil and in places on the coast south of the Zaire river. Luanda had discs of both orange and green. On the same coast, green discs with orange stones. Elmina had a green stone on orange.

Jakob pointed at Luanda. "You both believe you hold Luanda presently?"

ThePortuguese and Dutch all nodded. Four newcomers entered - black men dressed as well as any European in the room. Martin stepped away from the table to greet them, in Portuguese and a language no other European in the room understood. The orange and green discs were suddenly far less interesting.

"It is all right, friends." He pointed at the most sumptuously dressed of the four. "I present to you Pedro Nzumbi a Mpudi and his assistant, representing King Garcia the second of Kongo. And here are Tati Gembe and his assistant, representing King Afonso of Loango. Gentlemen, I am so pleased you are recovered from the sea voyage."
Ulrik had never before been in a room where a black man was dressed better than a wealthy man's manservant. Sir Nicolas Crispe had never before been in a room where a black man was better-dressed than any white man present. There was a not-quite-stunned silence; Martin filled it by stepping back over to the table and retrieving more stones and discs from the box.

"Yellow for Loango. Light blue for Kongo." He placed the stones and discs in the hands of the newcomers. "Don't worry, everyone. These men sailed here with me on Courland's Ark. As Tevel can attest, they already understand this exercise."

Tati and Pedro followed to the map. Pedro said nothing, but placed a stone on Luanda, and a disc just south of the Zaire river. Tati placed one a little further north of the river than Pedro's lay to its south.

Pedro said something about Luanda, that no one quite understood, though some felt they should.
Pedro said it again, differently. Portuguese heads nodded. Martin translated for the others.

"Pedro says that we were at Luanda more recently than any of you. Which is true, we sailed that way. And he says that though Portugal has paid to hold Luanda in the past, Luanda is not held by anyone today. He adds that Luanda belongs to Kongo."

One of the WIC men spoke, in Dutch, to another. "Why did I almost understand how he said it the first time?"

Hearing him, Martin answered in Dutch: "The second time, he spoke in Portuguese. The first time, he spoke in Latin."
Few Protestants had heard Latin spoken out loud in generations.

"Shall we pause our placing of discs and stones to see that everyone is properly introduced?"

- - -

They allowed disagreements on the map to remain, and went to the next step. Where did the different parties claim a place neither they nor anyone else held? Portugal now filled in many gaps on both continents' shores with green. Johann Maurits added orange stones north and south of the orange discs in Brazil. Sir Nicolas added a pink stone to Ascension Island: "We would like to do there what our hosts have done here."

At that, Martin put a black stone on the Guinea coast opposite Fernau. "At Saulains we look across at Fako every day. Fako and Bisila belong together."

Orange, green, and pink stones all landed on the Cape of Good Hope, and the same colours alternated at intervals eastward toward the Indian Ocean.

When no more stones were being placed, Jakob spoke again.

"It seems clear where the greatest conflicts are. Are their claims anyone would withdraw if another party withdrew theirs?"

"The VOC will not have Portugal on the Cape."

"Portugal will not accept the VOC on the Cape either."

"Perhaps you might both accept Britain there?"

"No." / "No!"

"Let's set the Cape aside for the moment. Brazil?"

"Portugal would have peace with a smaller Dutch Brazil."

"In exchange for?"

"Peace."

- - -

Lunch was dried bush meat and kiwano from Kongo. The Longhouse added sweet potato, a light broth for those who wanted to soften the dried bush meat, olive oil and oat bread.

Even in the levity and gamesmanship, there was progress. Peace in Dutch Brazil was accepted. Its boundaries were not precisely fixed, but set vaguely by saying Dutch Brazil could never include lands whosewaters flowed to the São Francisco or Parnaíbas rivers. The Portuguese dropped all claim on Elmina. The Dutch pledged to drop any claim on Luanda, but Pedro reminded them that unlike Portugal, the Dutch had never paid or the privilege of occupying Luanda, a privilege that was only Kongo's to grant. If Johan Maurits was reluctant to cede too much standing to Kongo, it wasn't going to be over this.

Portugal would return to Luanda, and return to paying Kongo for the privilege. After so much good and bad between them, Kongo wanted to be friends with Portugal again.

Jakob took the paint and smeared lines of colour along certain coasts. Orange by Dutch Brazil, green north and south of it, tapering off to wherever the Treaty of Tordesillas might have suggested stopping. A short light blue smear south of the Zaire, a short smear of yellow north of it. South of Luanda, he placed a streak of green, then thought better of it and added light blue beside it. Looking further afield, he added green southward a bit from Cacheu, then black in a semicircle along the continental shores around Fernau.

"I submit to you all that these coasts are all areas where one nation or company's trading interests dominate others'. Portuguese or Dutch Brazil, Fernau and its opposite shore. At Luanda, Portugal is above others at sea, while Kongo is above all ashore. Everywhere else remains either available to claim or fight over as we all see fit."

"That is only helpful if there is reason to respect it."

"True. I don't believe we need the stones for their previous purpose any more." He cleared some away. "The reason to respect it is this: you will know where you can collaborate in trade, and where you compete. Here: Saint Helena." He placed stones of every colour. "All nations are welcome at Saint Helena to trade and expect peace. Fernau is the same." Again, he added stones of each colour there . "You are welcome to take fish from the ocean around Saint Helena, provided you check in at Saint Helena before or after. You are welcome to trade anywhere in this black shore around Fernau, again, provided you check in at Fernau before or after. Luanda - Henrique and Pedro will decide which stones to place there. But for each they place, that nation should be welcome to trade along that stretch of coast, provided they check in at Luanda."

Pedro awaited a translation, then replied without hesitation.

"Kongo accepts this way. All traders are welcome. But we set a further rule: to trade slaves along this coast, ship captains must first talk to our King's representative in Luanda or Kongo. Too many have been taken from Kongo already."

Henrique de Noronha had been ready to place a stone of each colour - except orange - at Luanda. Instead, he placed them all.

No one contested Jakob's black paint around Fernau. For the VOC, it was out of the way. For the WIC, it was unnecessary extra travel against winds and currents for no extra value, when they could seek gold and slaves and other trade without passing east of Elmina. Britain and Denmark were interested either slaves for Caribbean islands, or else waypoints on the journey to or from the Indian Ocean. For Portugal, it was an area where their interests had been in decline for half a century or more, with São Tomé and Principe both half in ruins anyway. They could find slaves and other trade south of Luanda, or else take whichever slaves Kongo could provide.

Britain said it would establish factories between Cacheu's green smudge and Cape Three Points. Sir Nicolas said King Charles could surely find a good Catholic governor for Saint Barthélemy if no other parties present wanted it. They would also establish a presence on Ascension Island.

Denmark said it might add a factory west of Cape Three Points as well, but would manage well enough improving Anomabo for now. Whatever Caribbean islands they managed to obtain, three or four factories on the Guinea coast should suffice to supply their slaves. Everywhere but Carolusborg that Jakob had taken from Sweden, he sold to Denmark. The price was low - most were little more than a warehouse and a stockade, and most quite damaged.

Which left the Cape as the great bone of contention. It became clear no parties present truly wanted the Cape for themselves, but denying it to others was somehow vital.

It was Pedro who found the compromise.

"None of you want anyone else in this cape unless it can be like this Saint Helena. Do not fight over who can not have it. Ask Duke Jakob to build there so you may end your argument."

Jakob resisted, thinking of his thinly-spread manpower of Europeans. But once the others accepted, he relented. "I will need to draw on migrants from elsewhere. My own Duchy is sadly closed for business at the moment."

Prince Johan Maurits slid a black disk on to the Cape of Good Hope. "We can surely help with that, Duke Jakob."

- - -

If there were doubts about handing the Cape to Jakob, they were eased or erased by herbed lamb and Gambian red pepper rice with fried banana. In some cases, eased by the comforts of women from various shores around this ocean and the Indian.

The next morning, what had been done in spoken words and maps was reproduced in the written word. Jakob and Pedro began in Latin, but not enough present were literate enough in Latin. So they wrote in both German and in Portuguese instead. All parties agreed that coasts left unpainted should be free to trade for all present, and free to others not present, though the signatories could reconvene if a some newcomer needed to be forced out.

All nations present could trade at any port already placed on the map, though any painted coast required they check in at a "key port" to "unlock" access to trade at that coast. As Pedro insisted, trading for slaves was special - the visit to the "key port" had to precede any trading of slaves on those coasts.

- - -

While the discussion and document-drafting continued at the largest table, Tati Gembe looked at the map on the smaller table with Martin. Martin gamely tried words learned from Njikobiya, but Njikobiya came from near the Zanaya river, much further north. Too many words were different. So they spoke mostly in different flavours of Portuguese.

"We were once Kongo too. Now Kongo is across the river from us. I feel so much more than a river separates us from Kongo. They have sent emissaries to Portugal and to Dutchland before. Even to your pope. Crossing even this much water made me sick. And there is still so much more water before getting to your home lands. Portugal and Dutchland and Popeland are so far away they do not even fit on this map. Your peoples" - he gestured to be clear he meant all those present - "come from so far, and claim so much. I can not imagine your Mbanzas and their people and wealth."

"Tati, in our homelands a talk like this would be about war. Whose land belongs to whom after fighting stops. This talk here is about trade. Who can trade with whom. Where can they trade. What can they trade. This is mostly about what moves between places. The only places on this map where land truly belongs to a king or duke or pope or any other ruler are Loango and Kongo. Maybe Saint Helena, since no one lived here before. Maybe Brazil, because the traders have great farms farther from the coast."

Tati reached for the pot of black paint and smeared Courland's black alongside the existing streak of Loango's yellow.

"If Portugal governs the sea approaching Luanda, Courland can govern the sea approaching Loango. These others trust you. These others give peace around you. Loango wishes peace and good trade. And if the trade is good trade," he removed all stones but the black and light blue from the yellow-and-now-black coast, "we need no partner from your distant lands but you peace bringers. This I can speak for Afonso. Courland has been good to Loango. I see Courland is good to others."

"This I can speak for my father: thank you. Courland will accept. And Courland will bring trade to Loango from the sea. May I tell you what I see on this map, Tati Gembe?"

"I see lines and discs and stones all showing a boundary."

"The boundary is of water and land."

"Sim. All the white men here trade by bringing things across water. They make more money the more water they cross. The black men here trade by meeting white people at the water. Or they meet other black men at other boundaries. Those boundaries are not on this map."

"Like Kakongo or Soyo."

"Yes. But you have already told me those reach the ocean."

"Like Makoko then, Ngriboma. Fungunu. They touch the rivers, but not the ocean."

"I wish to make more trade from Makoko, Ngriboma, and Fungunu come to Loango. More trade to Loango becomes more trade to Fernau and the ocean. Then more trade from the ocean comes to Loango. Loango brings more trade to Makoko, Ngriboma and Fungunu. They will come because trade with Loango brings what they want. What they want will be available. And they will bring what Loango wants. Or for what Courland wants. And Loango trades those things to Courland. Tell me, Tati Gembe, where is that trade?"

"I am still not used to seeing the world in pictures. Maps. Trade moves up and down the great river. Mostly on little boats."

"I thought this river could not be travelled by boat?"

"Not where white men have gone. Near the coast water is falling fast. But somewhere up here," he pointed in a vague circle near the "GO" of "LOANGO" on the map, it is wide and flat. The river is how trade moves."

"Does Loango have a town there? A Mbanza?"

"Some live there. The fishing is good. We can build."

"Then we will help you build a Mbanza on the flat part of the river. And we will help you make the best boats for trade on the river. And the people of the river will trade with Loango at that Mbanza."

"And Loango will trade with Courland at another trade-Mbanza at the coast."

"Yes. With clear rules for trade. The same rules at both Mbanzas."

"Your people have done this before?"

"There were once many small cities who wanted to enrich themselves by trade. Each city made rules of trade and grouped themselves in "Hansas." They traded with each other and began to have the same rules for trade between them. And trade between them grew more than trade between others whose Hansas had different rules. It came to be called the Hanseatic League."

"Hansa even sounds like Mbanza. Does it continue?"

"Yes and no. The cities of that league remain wealthier cities. But trade has become more similar everywhere. Their advantage is less."

"And trade here is more like trade was there, long ago."

"I believe so. We will learn together."

"Then let us begin our Mbanzeatic League after you return us home. And after we recover from the voyage. Which will require time."

- - -

Ships scattered as they had come. The Dutch, British, and one Portuguese ship followed the winds and currents northwest toward Cape Verde and Europe beyond. Two Danes travelled aboard the British ship, Jakob sent one witness north with each Europe-bound party. Another Portuguese ship fought the currents to reassert their presence in Luanda. Johan Maurits sailed in an arc, northwest then southwest, to return to Brazil "probably for the last time before Europe calls to me." A second British ship filled itself with grains, some olive trees, and other plants to bring to Ascension. They paid well for half the goods, the rest were Jakob's gift.

The Danes sailed northeast to return to Anomabo. Then finally, Jakob relaxed, and enjoyed the company of half his family. He would soon see his other children, too, in Fernau. But nowhere was he truly at home.

A purée of banana and sauermilch with cashew nuts and berry preserves outshone anything one might bring by ship.
Consider me invited. :p

This meeting will be part of the curriculum and homework for so many kids in the future.

Expanding as a trade league is far more for Courland than through arms. Tapping into already existing trade routes and forging new ones is the way to go, although size might necessitate at least two different leagues for West and Central Africa.

Look like in this timeline the scramble for Africa conference will have a neat precedent in this conference deciding zone of influence in the South Atlantic.

And Fernau is renforcing its position as trust neutral trade power which will be usefull for them in a few years/decade when war between european countries will also impact new world colonies and comptoirs to and from the indian ocean.

And having the Cape guarantee them a futur as a medium size power if not invade soon since it's a rich land in minerals, have a nice climat for agriculture and less of the problem for europeean populations

Giving Fernau the cape is genius NGL. As is inviting the African kingdoms to the conference. They might also represent a recruitment opportunity closer than Europe.

Next-day thoughts per usual.

Boy, I backed myself into a corner on this one.
Promising a trade-companies peace conference meant:
  • researching diplomats (even to make one up would require validating that a more-convincing existing diplomat or trader wouldn't have made more sense)
  • getting a much, much better grasp on the 1650s map of the South Atlantic (I ended up making my own, pencil-and-paper, which heavily influenced this chapter.
Martin bringing Loango and Kongo into the mix meant diving into the various kingdoms/empires/polities of that region. Which was the best part of my reading and podcast listening in the past week or two.

I'm confident this last chapter was the longest this timeline has seen, and it's a length I don't hope to reach too often. I prefer writing shorter chapters more frequently, but it depends on what knowledge I need a firmer grasp on at any given time. This one just needed a lot more new knowledge.

This meeting will be part of the curriculum and homework for so many kids in the future.

I'm of two minds there. It would be information worth knowing for sure, but I can't help but think that the emphasis on trade over territory here makes this the important agreement before the important agreement people know better, like Alcaçovas before Tordesillas. But even as I write that thought, it feels truer for Africa than South America. So maybe Dutch Brazil, 300 years later, has a little state holiday to mark the Saint Helena meeting.

Expanding as a trade league is far more for Courland than through arms. Tapping into already existing trade routes and forging new ones is the way to go, although size might necessitate at least two different leagues for West and Central Africa.

Alas, you're forcing me toward a little new knowledge here again (thanks!) - it's one league if it's one set of rules for trade, even in different languages and cultures influencing it. I have read already about the execution of West African trades already. I'll need to find a little more information about Congo/Zaire basin trade mechanics. In my mind, this is primarily about rivers - trade at the mouth of one, trade at a key chokepoint higher up. A river not long enough to have both is not a river to focus on.

...which means our next arc will give some time to rivers.
Look like in this timeline the scramble for Africa conference will have a neat precedent in this conference deciding zone of influence in the South Atlantic.
I agree that it's mostly as legal precedent that it's interesting. The result of the settlement may matter less than the means.

And Fernau is renforcing its position as trust neutral trade power which will be usefull for them in a few years/decade when war between european countries will also impact new world colonies and comptoirs to and from the indian ocean.
Yes and no... we've already seen how well low-military neutrality turned out in the Baltic. Admittedly, with its navy intact, Courland is a military power in the Gulf of Guinea. But the Gulf of Guinea is also the least worthwhile place for any other European traders to sail in and out of (because winds, currents, not on the route to or from Europe, and farther from the Americas in terms of sailing time).

And having the Cape guarantee them a futur as a medium size power if not invade soon since it's a rich land in minerals, have a nice climat for agriculture and less of the problem for europeean populations
I didn't circumscribe the boundaries the way I did for Dutch Brazil, but the same attitude of "not letting someone else have the cape" will end up making Fernau's presence there rather tinier than the OTL Dutch one. Also: manpower. Johan Maurits offering to help with peopling the place is necessary. This path could be followed to turn this in to an alt-South Africa timeline, but I won't indulge that direction much. The Cape matters to the South Atlantic, so it has to be in play. It will stay peripheral to the main story.
Giving Fernau the cape is genius NGL.
Better the guy you distrust less rather than the guy you distrust more. It might have been more genius to give it to Kongo, but that could have ended in any of 20 different quick or slow failures.
As is inviting the African kingdoms to the conference. They might also represent a recruitment opportunity closer than Europe.
We will return to that thought in one of the next couple chapters, so I'll bite my tongue rather than answer fully.
The black and mixed-race Jews of Loango have already facilitated friendship between Courlanders and Loango. Non-slave Africans as partners, nearby or further afield in Africa.... yes. This is absolutely an opportunity. One among several.

Of the diplomats:
Just as I'd tweaked the Dutch/Portuguese sparring in the South Atlantic in favour of the Dutch (seemed reasonable thanks to Spain having less success in wars in Iberia), I tweaked the tenure of Johan Maurits as Dutch Governor. OTL, he had returned to Europe by this point.
Ulrik and Crispe are real, and Crispe OTL traded in Guinea for England (the Scottish Guinea company was also real OTL, though short-lived). I chose Crispe over Prince Rupert of the Rhine, who sailed into the Gambia around this time. Ulrik had no Guinea relevance, I put him there anyway.
The remaining diplomats were fabrications. I couldn't find a convincing Portuguese representative, and wasn't sure I needed one. I chose not to give names to any supporting members of delegations for much the same reason; they might have added convincing detail, but distracting detail too.

I needed to introduce the Zaire river's geography and the "Mbanzeatic League" to lay groundwork for the future, and to make Martin's influence more consequential.
The geographic details about winds and currents matter hugely to the maritime nations, so they needed a place here. I'm not a sailor myself, but I'm rather enjoying building up my sailor's-eye view of the world. Any reading of the history of Saint Helena - of any era - really shines a light on that.

Lastly: I can't wait to hear @Talus I of Dixie tell me how I've screwed up his country.

I didn't circumscribe the boundaries the way I did for Dutch Brazil, but the same attitude of "not letting someone else have the cape" will end up making Fernau's presence there rather tinier than the OTL Dutch one. Also: manpower. Johan Maurits offering to help with peopling the place is necessary. This path could be followed to turn this in to an alt-South Africa timeline, but I won't indulge that direction much. The Cape matters to the South Atlantic, so it has to be in play. It will stay peripheral to the main story.

I think manpower will be less of a problem than you would expect, the Cape in OTL was settled by less than thousand people decades later, and had administration which active limited further settlement. It would relative easy for Fernau to recruit settlers in North Germany and in Denmark-Norway, especially in the low number to rival OTL Dutch.

A interesting aspect of this is that we instead of OTL Dutch (Low Frankish) descendent Afrikaans, would see a Low Saxon speaking Cape, the isolation from Germany would almost certainly keep them from adopting standard German.

Another important aspect in a Fernau Cape is religious, Lutherans and Calvinist may both be Protestants, but they function in radical different ways, Calvinism is very much a low church focusing on individuals, while Lutherans is more of a high church with a greater focus on communities. This in practice mean Lutherans have a more complex ecclesial hierarchy which also function as state bureaucracy, so Lutherans tend to have far greater control over their population and is far better at enforcing theologic orthodoxy.

Another important aspect in a Fernau Cape is religious, Lutherans and Calvinist may both be Protestants, but they function in radical different ways, Calvinism is very much a low church focusing on individuals, while Lutherans is more of a high church with a greater focus on communities. This in practice mean Lutherans have a more complex ecclesial hierarchy which also function as state bureaucracy, so Lutherans tend to have far greater control over their population and is far better at enforcing theologic
Two chapters back, we have the beginning of Martin questioning the Calvinism he inherited from his mother, with references to Arminianism to boot. I don't expect to invest too much into those contrasts in the Cape specifically, but Martin's questions of faith will return, and touch the colonies in varying degrees. As a writer, I find the distance between the colonies and their varying circumstances as opportunities to highlight contrasts, and make them matter more.

I think manpower will be less of a problem than you would expect, the Cape in OTL was settled by less than thousand people decades later, and had administration which active limited further settlement. It would relative easy for Fernau to recruit settlers in North Germany and in Denmark-Norway, especially in the low number to rival OTL Dutch.
I realize something I haven't written here is what's colouring my thoughts a bit. It's not that manpower is hard to find, in the desired quantities. On that, you're completely right.

The Gambia and Tobago colonies OTL were soldiers and foreigners for the most part, so making them Couronian in any cultural sense was irrelevant. It was strictly a money play. This wave of migration was larger and more sudden. Surely some of the migrants will similarly not care how culturally Couronian they remain abroad. And surely some will, even though it remains primarily a money play at both the Courland-level and the migrant-level.

For those that might care about the dilution, spreading themselves a little thinner by having some of their number relocate to a new colony (however small) could seem a dilution of their Couronian-ness.

I shall have to embody those contrasting viewpoints, and some reasonable third perspective, in a few characters (I already know which one is Martin). Thanks for making me realize I was viewing manpower in a very particular way.

- - -

Edit to add: today I did something I hadn't done since the beginning of all this writing: laid out OTL+TTL and only-TTL events that must or may come up in a spreadsheet to sort out the timescales of some developments we'll see. I've said before I know how this timeline ends, without knowing when that ending might occur. The earliest possible decade to end would be the 1680s, but the end event might better land a decade or more later than that.

The first time I sorted events in a spreadsheet, it was to plot the beginnings of a course, after which I let the story take me where it led. The same will likely be true this time. A few next steps are known and ordered. Others will be where my reading - and your responses - bring me, as ever.

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly, my disappearance is due to yet more exams in university, so i will not be elaborating much on how i went two straight weeks without visiting the forum :p
The Dutch delegation was led by Johan Maurits von Nassau-Siegen, governor of Brazil and Prince
Oh no (and OH YES). I know where this is going, and it's of utmost interesting-ness.
"Have you yourself sailed beyond the Cape, Prince Johan?"
To see Maurice of Nassau (here in Brazil he is more recognized by his second name) depicted in person in such, uh, a not-Brazil-related feels so strange yet so familiar, since i've grown to associate him so much with Brazil — yet here he's probably (in-universe, i mean) more associated with Brazil than he ever was IOTL. Just a thought process that apparently went nowhere.
Its boundaries were not precisely fixed, but set vaguely by saying Dutch Brazil could never include lands whosewaters flowed to the São Francisco or Parnaíbas rivers.
I hate it. These are shit borders. My country has been officially ruined.
Then let us begin our Mbanzeatic League
I chuckled, a high-pitched chuckle. Lol.
So maybe Dutch Brazil, 300 years later, has a little state holiday to mark the Saint Helena meeting.
Ah yes, September 5th (the irony here is that Brazil's IOTL Independence Day is September 7th).
Better the guy you distrust less rather than the guy you distrust more. It might have been more genius to give it to Kongo, but that could have ended in any of 20 different quick or slow failures.
I'm immediately demanding you to retcon the timeline and give us the Kongo Cape!
I can't wait to hear @Talus I of Dixie tell me how I've screwed up his country.
I'm not as mad with Dutch Brazil (i actually am fond of the concept, although fear what will be of it from the point Nassau is recalled) as i am mad with its borders! If i understood it well, we have basically 2 Brazils (as of, south american portuguese colony), one just beggining in Maranhão/Pará to the Amazon Basin and the "Old" one from Bahia to the South. I hate it.

70. Gambia and beyond, 1656. New
Rivers - part 1

We set out February 2. 20 men. Many tools, supplies, trade goods. 10 boats, sail cloth for 12. Travel upriver from St Jakob's fort. The Gambia is effortless to sail. 160 miles from Bandschul and still easy. Past that, still easy enough for small craft like ours. 160 next miles, more portages. Land gets more hilly. We meet people, Bassari, who tell us southeast is more river, but mountains too. Overland northeast is greater river - with much translation, we think it is the Senegal. We ask for the the greatest river. They wave east, maybe southeast, to say any greater river is far. We ask about peoples in each direction. I point toward mountains and make friendly gestures with a smiling face, then crossed arms and an angry face. A man whose job it storytelling (?) points at mountains and makes a haughty and tired expression. We repeat this for the Senegal. He points to the Senegal, then himself, and gestures like a formal embrace. He points back at the Senegal and then to us and makes gestures of violence. We then point east. He points at our boats and makes a dismissive gesture. Pretends walking a long distance. Gestures a neutral greeting. We traded our boats for fresh and travel food and cowrie shells. We had not traded many of our abundant cowrie shells we'd started with. It is fortunate they are lighter than coin.
Overland travel was long. We learn travel is straighter here than southward, where hills turn to mountains. Len, our mapmaker, says a great river could start there because the greener land that way suggests more rain. We are often tempted to follow creeks and valleys southward, but continue mostly eastward. The land is light forest, mostly, often hilly. We meet as many monkeys as men.
Finally we cut south. These are valleys, but the land around doesn't look like it sees rain all year. Rain has been frequent for us. It is late in March when we reach a less hilly land. It seems more fertile, though there are no towns. When we ask for a great river, they point southeast. They are generally friendly, and wonder at seeing the pale skin half of us have. Our Gambian guides understand them oddly better than they understood those north of the hills. We trade and slow down and rest more. There are no towns, only small villages. People are cautious. We trade generously - there is gold here, though we trade only for a little as we do not wish to carry so much weight. We become welcome. We reach the river. The people call it Joliba for Great River. The land is still not at its greenest.
We cross the still-rising Joliba to seek a town in tributary river's valley. On the crossing, one man is bitten by a crocodile. We leave two men with him and continue. It is named Niani, and though it hardly looks it, they say it was once the capital of the great Mansa Musa. Our Barra man wonders if there has to be another Niani because of all the stories sounding grander than this. Our men Agadir, a Jew and Muslim, were able to read some records in Arabic - there seem few - and they think this was that Niani. We did not stay, but traded generously again and returned to the Joliba to prepare to sail. The man bitten by the crocodile lives, but is of little help.
Here I took the lead as a shipbuilder. Canoes and rafts could be bought. We asked how far the river was navigable and did not get consistent answers. We chose to buy simple boats rather than build our own. We are told the wind changes, but we don't understand how reliable its direction will be. It has been inconsistent but often comes from the direction we would travel. It is not yet time to sail. We buy a grain called fonio some river peoples cherish. Perhaps it will grow in one of our colonies.
It is now late April and we paddle the Joliba. Len says it must well be the Niger from stories. He scoffs at a "Western Nile" - it seems this river flows to west to east anyway. It is beginning to flow more. People do not live too close to its banks for its flooding. The waters keep rising. Mosquitos are troublesome and we sleep in the middle of the river when it is wide enough to make a difference. At a small village on the left bank, people wave to us not to continue sailing. We learn of many rapids beyond. We stop and trade, selling most of our boats, but keeping two lighter ones to carry. We walk on the left bank past the various rapids. Two Europeans die to sickness and are buried well.
It is May when we are confident we are past the last rapids. We buy or build more canoes, connecting them like the ZK boats of Libau. These ZK canoe-rafts are not my best work as a shipbuilder, but catch enough wind and have shallow enough draughts to make river-sailing less effortful for us. After perhaps one hundred and fifty more miles, the river spreads out into separate channels. Our mapmaker says "delta" but there is no sea according to our eyes or the people we meet. We stick the most promising channels only, generally choosing a central course or wherever the flow is greatest. When we pause, we take notes of places people say are nearby but not near the river. We hear of another river - maybe more - that lie south of here but flow for a smaller part of the year than the Joliba. Here they also do not call this the Joliba, though most here still understand its meaning. We are told of a wealthy city to the south called Tshene or Jene, where traders coming from the south also come. We assume this is to meet the trade on this river. I send 5 men to travel there and follow where trade goes until they find the Guinea coast.
Shortly after, one of our boats is attacked by a river behemoth, a monster larger than a cow. Our ZKs are effectively two canoes connected by a raft with a sail. I was in the attached canoe, which we fortunately managed to separate in panicked haste. A mercy is that only the man previously bitten by the crocodile died. We rescued the other man from that canoe from the water. The people call these beasts jirisunba and we imagine that means water-death-monster or river-death-jaws or words might say but am reluctant to write down. We could not bury the body and lost modest supplies from one boat. We hope the beast has use for the gold from upriver. We have seen some before from a distance. We hope never to see them so close again.
We think we have misunderstood what we have been told about dry seasons or rainy seasons upriver. Here we are told it is usually dry, but rainier for one or two months, a few months from now - we are assuming August. These are the drier months. Travel by boat should be easier soon. We choose to go more slowly - mostly after the rain.
It is July and another 300 miles from my last notes. We reached a place where an old canal was made to connect a nearby city to the river. A canal in this place of sands feels so odd. As we could visit it with little risk of losing our boats, we chose to stay. The city is a few miles north of the main channel of the river. People call it Tombutu or Tin Bukt and Ben calls it Tenbuch from the Catalan Atlas or Timbuktu from other maps. Our Agadir muslim says he has heard of it as a place for trade across the desert from his homeland. It supports decent farming to feed its people. Salt comes here from the desert to the north. Gold from nearby, or the south, and from upriver where we came. Wealth here has always been from exchanging what is more common in one direction for what is more common in the other. Animal hides and woven goods are plentiful and come from nearby. There are traders who say they spend months crossing the desert to reach cities on the Mediterranean - we understand this is counting travel one way only. They then rest their camels for nearly as long before returning.
More of us get sick, including myself. We rest in this city. One more death.
People here are from various origins. Many speak languages similar to those around the Gambia. Muslims from many places came here as a place of study. But this place and its wealth have been fought over too, and old men tell us scholars were more plentiful in their parents' or grandparents' time. This is the first place in our travels where our Muslim from Agadir finds the practice of his religion to be honest. There is still learning here, and much trade. We learn those travelling south from here expect to reach the ocean in about as much time as travelling west. But not truly west, without camels. Trade follows the Joliba. True west might also lead us to the peoples the Bassari warned us against.
We meet Arabs and Berbers and various black peoples and even some few Jews - Ben says not enough for minyan, and they encourage him to send more. Perhaps my lord Duke will.
Our cowrie shells are surprisingly useful in this place of much trade. We trade some of our European goods profitably. Our supplies remain good for the rest of our journey. We choose to acquire copies of scrolls and books. Our interest in those attracted attention from some scholars. We are overpaying two of their number to travel with us. We assume we have twice as far to go than we have already travelled. But that is only a guess. We do not know whether the Joliba is the Volta river of the Portuguese, or another river that meets the sea farther east, or whether it never finds the sea at all.
It is August and we continue downriver. The river follows a single course now. The flow of the river is stronger, and perhaps one hundred miles from Tombutu's canal the currents and narrower gorges forced us to portage. After that, the river was its widest yet. This might be thanks to rain or just the shape of the land or both. We avoid mosquitos better now, though they still haunt us.
We reach another old city, another place that was once a capital. The city is Gao and it ruled over Songay. Then Saadi came from Morocco and took Tombutu from the Songay and the Songay fell apart. The Saadi sacked Gao once, too, later. Thousands still live here. More thousands, before. We continue.
It is late September and I have been remiss with notes. The river has been much the same. A hundred miles or more where rapids made us sell our boats and travel on foot again. The land is sad. These are places people travel through but not to. Tombutu may have been helped by its position where the channels of the Joliba came together. Maybe where these rapids begin and end could be better places for trade too. Maybe we are tired men now and being tired makes us pessimists. Our Tombutu scholars may also be colouring that sense of disappointment in what we see.
We again acquired boats and rafted them ZK fashion. People and languages are changing again. We still find many Fula, but also Hausa and others. The heat and humidity together are devastating. I believe there are more people here than in places upstream. Maybe the land is less arid. Maybe the horrid air is just seasonal. The river is called the Kworra here. Other names sound different to our other remaining men. I hear the same thing.
We have passed other strong rivers. They may only be strong due to seasonal rain. Sokoto. Kaduna.
It is October. Another strong river meets this one: the Chadda. Now when we ask people - at a market of people called the Nupe I think - some say they have seen the Ocean, and were it is. This river does reach the Guinea coast somewhere. Somewhere hotter and stickier than the Gambia.
It is later in October and I have broken my leg slipping on a rock in the river and falling. I will take further records of my time, but I send these ahead with most of the surviving men, knowing I need more time to heal. I remain behind in this town. I forget its name as fevers come and go. I would say Red Hill, but I think while different people have different languages, they agree on the name but not its meaning. Maybe Red Hill was one of the names. I wonder what the others were. We see larger boats on the water here, deeper draughts and wider hulls. I am blessed to have a window overlooking one of the rivers - is this the Joliba or the Kworra or Chadda?
We know we need only sail south to find the sea. The men will do so and carry this message to... Fernau probably. Ben drew me what he thinks the rest of the river will look like, and where it finds the Gulf of Guinea. It was hiding in plain sight. Not many small and swampy rivers, but the delta or one great one.
I will linger a month or so, and will keep one of the Tombutu scholars and young Fritz with me. They will continue learning this place while I recuperate.

To see Maurice of Nassau (here in Brazil he is more recognized by his second name) depicted in person in such, uh, a not-Brazil-related feels so strange yet so familiar, since i've grown to associate him so much with Brazil — yet here he's probably (in-universe, i mean) more associated with Brazil than he ever was IOTL. Just a thought process that apparently went nowhere.
It's entirely possible he personally goes nowhere further TTL either. But he has lasted longer in Brazil than OTL, and has secured a future for a facsimile of the portion of Brazil he governed OTL. I went with the watershed border to leave wiggle room, just as all the non-coloured parts of the map leave fleets of privateers ample room to screw each other over while having other areas they will behave rather better toward each other. This is one of those corners of the timeline where I meddle with something simply because more things in the world should end up different based on what is already happening, with further consequences undecided.

It can be both a merchant mariner's peace and a pirate's peace, in its way. And lapses will surely come.
I hate it. These are shit borders. My country has been officially ruined.
Most countries have shit borders. Enjoy!
I'm immediately demanding you to retcon the timeline and give us the Kongo Cape!
We'll see what kind of Cape emerges. I'd have loved to have Jakob champion a Kongo cape rather than the other way around, but I could see no reason Kongo would take the slightest interest (at this point, at least - and, spoiler alert, this timeline is not a Kongo wank.

If i understood it well, we have basically 2 Brazils (as of, south american portuguese colony), one just beggining in Maranhão/Pará to the Amazon Basin and the "Old" one from Bahia to the South. I hate it.
I haven't had cause to go deep enough into the "5 Guianas" (Portuguese, French, Dutch, British and Spanish) to fix where Portuguese Guiana ended. Extrapolated from here, Dutch Brazil would be the non-Portuguese bit at the end of Portuguese Brazil and the Amazon and Portuguese Guiana, reaching to the Atlantic, much as Portugal is the non-Spanish bit of Iberia reaching out to the Atlantic in Europe.

More turmoil in Iberia meant more gain for the Dutch, somewhere.

- - -

I won't even wait until tomorrow to gather my thoughts on the chapter posted moments ago: so much reading about Niger River winds, navigability, peoples, trade and more. The trade I had a good handle on months ago, weather and which towns were old enough to mention here were more recent research. I made the evil authorial choice to put myself into the writing style of someone with little attention to structure, and I even found it annoying to read my own paragraphs with the resulting density.

If I return to this approach again, I'll do it with a bit more brevity, or at least interrupt it with lighter dialogue breaks.

Also, as the story passed the Sokoto river and the Fulani people, I couldn't help but think of what I consider this site's all-time greatest timeline, Malê Rising. Who knows what ancestors of Abacars we passed by on this journey?