The Coronation of the Hun

I enjoyed this TL very much, but I think you are glossing over a few important steps with "Attila arrives in Rome" :eek: How did he get there, and how did Rome avoid being sacked in the process?

I'm under the impression that somewhere back there, the Roman government agrees to him marrying Valentinian's sister Honoria (that was her name, right?).

Wow! My own thread has been necromanced! :eek:

@AHP

Thank you very much. Yeah Attila's mode of taking over Rome was shady. Frankly I had no real way of describing it. But Attila was really rich, so just figure a couple of bribes, and he basically is secure...

@Nek

I will! :eek: I'm just so damn lazy (sometimes), and weighed down by These Hills....

Thande

Donor
Hey Thermo, I've just finished reading your TL properly up to 1000 AD (having only seen glimpses before) and I'd like to sing your praises once more :D

I noticed a couple of linguistic anomalies, minor things, which you might want to know about.

Some of the place names in Britain are inappropriate given the Franks are there. Lindisfarne, sacked by the Vikings in TTL as OTL, is an Anglo-Saxon name with unknown meaning. Having said that, it was allegedly given to the island by 'the earliest' Anglo-Saxons, so I suppose the name could have been given and kept after the Romano-Britons drove the Angles from Northumbria.

You use the term Welsh to describe the Welsh, which might not be the term that the Franks use. The word 'Wealas' originally just meant 'foreigners' in the western Germanic tongues, and I understand it was even applied to the Romans by some Germanic tribes. Given the French influence it could end up something more like... "Ouelois" ( :eek: ). Or it could be Gallois as OTL, or maybe even a Frenchified version of Cymru, something like "Quoumrie"?

Finally, why are the Normans called the Normans? It comes from the French 'Normand', but, as per OTL, they're settling in the same region which in your TL is Slavic. I'd expect them to be given a Slavic name meaning 'north-men'.

This level of nitpicking should be seen as a sign of my appreciation of the tremendous detail in your TL :D

Thande

Donor
One other thing, Inaki pointed it out a while ago but you never got around to it - the name Al-Andalus for Spain when there aren't any Vandals to give the Muslism the idea.

May I suggest simply 'Al-Isbaniya' ?

@Thande

Thank you very much! :D

Yeah, liked this old TL. Whoever said that early on in the thread was right, we do need more TLs based on alternate ethnic migrations...

:D *Likes that one* ;)

Finally, why are the Normans called the Normans? It comes from the French 'Normand', but, as per OTL, they're settling in the same region which in your TL is Slavic. I'd expect them to be given a Slavic name meaning 'north-men'.

Well, after quickly bastardizing some Slavic words, I've come up with "Severcloveki".

:eek: :cool:

One other thing, Inaki pointed it out a while ago but you never got around to it - the name Al-Andalus for Spain when there aren't any Vandals to give the Muslism the idea.

May I suggest simply 'Al-Isbaniya' ?

There are still Vandals, what do you mean? The Vandals made their rounds through Spain before TTL's PoD. :confused: Unless I'm messing up my details...

Thande

Donor
Well, after quickly bastardizing some Slavic words, I've come up with "Severcloveki".
An ugly name for an ugly folk. :)

Thermo said:
There are still Vandals, what do you mean? The Vandals made their rounds through Spain before TTL's PoD. :confused: Unless I'm messing up my details...
I thought you said to Inaki you'd have to change it though, when he raised the point earlier in the thread? :confused:

I thought that the Muslims called Spain Al-Andalus OTL because they'd been in the Vandalic kingdom in North Africa shortly before and lumped it all into one. In your TL, the Western Empire has already reconquered that part of North Africa, and it's from the Empire tha the Muslims conquer it, not the Vandals.

I dont believe that ERE Theodosius II and his religious sister Pulcheria would ever allow their niece to marry Attila... They soon engage into battle...
ERE invades WRE and tries to depose Attila and Honoria will Theodosius appoints a new WRE Emperor (his General Marcian maybe...).
Theodosius is being assasinated by Huns later and Marcian is married to his sister Pulcheria uniting for one more time the Crowns of East and West...
This could be possible too...

Hi. :)

I just read your timeline. It's very intriguing and plausible.

I have one criticism. If the Franks replaces the Anglo-Saxons in Britian I don't think it is plausible for their country to end up being "France" and the people called the "French."

"France" and "French" are results of the Franks having been latinized in Gaul, but they would not have been in Britain. Their country would probably be called Frankland, and the people and language would be known as Frankish. It would be a more Germanic language than French and even English, since there seems to have been no Norman Invasion (Unless I missed it in skimming some pages.)

Frankish North America would not have an OTL French sounding name.

Deleted member 5719

wow this is one HUGE case of Necromancy

But entirely excusable if one looks at tone and post-count.

In fact, given the constructive (and correct) commentary on the use of the term French, maybe not even technically necromancy?

Deleted member 5719

Hi. :)

I just read your timeline. It's very intriguing and plausible.

I have one criticism. If the Franks replaces the Anglo-Saxons in Britian I don't think it is plausible for their country to end up being "France" and the people called the "French."

"France" and "French" are results of the Franks having been latinized in Gaul, but they would not have been in Britain. Their country would probably be called Frankland, and the people and language would be known as Frankish. It would be a more Germanic language than French and even English, since there seems to have been no Norman Invasion (Unless I missed it in skimming some pages.)

Frankish North America would not have an OTL French sounding name.

Hi mate, welcome.

The above comment about "necromancy" regards reviving threads that have been dormant for a long time. It's considered bad form here, unless you have quite a dramatic new spin to add to the topic.

I think the taboo exists because old timelines can become embarassing to their authors, as can old posts. ;)

Don't worry about it too much, and for the record, you're 100% correct about the "French" question.

All the best

BNS

:)