The Cold War with no US in Europe

Thande

Donor
I do not agree Britain would look toward the Empire and it will at least be in 1960 before they give that idee up.
What about French policy in the 1950s? That was both pro-European but also based on the idea that the colonies could be held on to.

Of course Britain has the white dominions though...maybe you're right, perhaps we'd need something like an earlier South African break to get a pro-Europe UK in the 1950s.

Valdemar II

Banned
What about French policy in the 1950s? That was both pro-European but also based on the idea that the colonies could be held on to.

Of course Britain has the white dominions though...maybe you're right, perhaps we'd need something like an earlier South African break to get a pro-Europe UK in the 1950s.

France lack one thing Britain have, which means that France have to have a closer eye on Europe than Britain; A giant moat.

well...

well... I think you would have a much more confident Soviet Union, that invests more in economic expansion then on pure warfare... now without troops in europe the US might be less likely to invest in the European economies because there are no soldiers there to protect the investment, or at least America does not invest as much because clearly Europe is not valued much.

What I think happens is a somewhat less paranoid USSR, a less economically powerful Europe... so the USSR might focus on rebuilding, and could probably end up being the major exporter of consumer goods to Europe, and with the stronger Soviet economy you probably have more Communist parties popping up in Europe.

The Soviet Union might fall... if it did it would take a lot longer though, but I am a tad biased towards Communism so take what I say with a grain or two of salt.

well... I think you would have a much more confident Soviet Union, that invests more in economic expansion then on pure warfare... now without troops in europe the US might be less likely to invest in the European economies because there are no soldiers there to protect the investment, or at least America does not invest as much because clearly Europe is not valued much.

What I think happens is a somewhat less paranoid USSR, a less economically powerful Europe... so the USSR might focus on rebuilding, and could probably end up being the major exporter of consumer goods to Europe, and with the stronger Soviet economy you probably have more Communist parties popping up in Europe.

The Soviet Union might fall... if it did it would take a lot longer though, but I am a tad biased towards Communism so take what I say with a grain or two of salt.

Yeah. . . the Soviet Union had a problem feeding its own people, let alone be able to produce consumer goods for Western Europe.