The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Allies win.
The Nazis would be massively distracted by trying to 'cleanse/pacify' the USSR, and wouldn't be able to shift everything west.
Would it be a blood bath? Oh, ya.

But I suspect that, since the Allies would have air superiority or even supremacy, that they could hold and expand any beachhead that they actually established. If they tried 5 beaches, as OTL, I suspect at least one would be pushed back into the sea, and at least one would establish a solid beachhead. But. Oh yeah. Blood bath start to finish.

Expansion out of the beachheads might be slow (more like the OTL Italian campaign than OTL Normandy), but the US is essentially unbeatable if it tries hard enough.

Then they is what to do with Germany this time around, and what use to be the USSR.

Wendigo

Banned
If the Reich somehow developed nuclear weapons and used them against the US, prompting a WAllied nuclear response, how many in Europe would die and how damaged would the continent be in the aftermath?

Wouldn't there still be a Reich in control of continental Europe albeit shattered to a large degree?

Last edited:
If the Reich somehow developed nuclear weapons and used them against the US, prompting a WAllied nuclear response, how many in Europe would die and how damaged would the continent be in the aftermath?

I'd imagine it'd look something like Amerigo Vespucci's The Cuban Missile War.

What's popculture like in the current day and age? Are there video games? Did Disney still take off? What about Star Wars or other classics like Aliens or Princess Bride, etc.? Were they butterflied away completely or just changed?

Talking of film, TV and the like was reminded the other day that the classic TV detective series Bergerac will no doubt have references to the failed attempt to liberate the island of Jersey. Events from the occupation of @ were worked into it occasionally so I'd imagine the same IIRL.

Teshuvah

Banned

Wouldn't there still be a Reich in control of continental Europe albeit shattered to a large degree?
CalBear answered this earlier. He said it'd be comparable to the Cuban Missile Crisis going nuclear.

Teshuvah

Banned
How does TTL view the Treaty of Versailles and the effect of hyperinflation on destabilizing Weimar Germany? Given how hated Germany is, I'm assuming historiography is much less sympathetic.

How does TTL view the Treaty of Versailles and the effect of hyperinflation on destabilizing Weimar Germany? Given how hated Germany is, I'm assuming historiography is much less sympathetic.

They most likely view it as too lenient since it didn't break up Germany completely.

Thothian

Banned
What surprises me most after reading this TL twice through is how critical of the state of the " A4 Earth" some seem to be. I see exactly 1 thing worse than in the OTL: the Holocaust was far worse.

That's it, and that's not the A4's fault.

Comparing the same time from OTL and TTL, TTL is better off.

Humanity is farther along in space. Genocide and war are forbidden on pain of death. The hammer of God on the moon is controlled by the Western liberal democratic order. Civil rights are farther along. The only downside is a China-sized regime that has the mindset of OTL's North Korea. India is the only non-A4 nation that seems to be smart about the situation. They know the only challenge to the A4 that will be allowed is peaceful competition, and that's what they're doing.

Frankly, if I were there and in control of the decision-making process, the A4 would go ahead and pound the Chinese leadership flat. Eliminate the threat of aggressive war from human history once and for all. Not Pax Americana.

Pax Aeterna.

Basically, the end result of Star Trek's WW3. The final bloody victory of Western liberalism over Eurasian despotism.

What surprises me most after reading this TL twice through is how critical of the state of the " A4 Earth" some seem to be. I see exactly 1 thing worse than in the OTL: the Holocaust was far worse.

That's it, and that's not the A4's fault.

Comparing the same time from OTL and TTL, TTL is better off.

Humanity is farther along in space. Genocide and war are forbidden on pain of death. The hammer of God on the moon is controlled by the Western liberal democratic order. Civil rights are farther along. The only downside is a China-sized regime that has the mindset of OTL's North Korea. India is the only non-A4 nation that seems to be smart about the situation. They know the only challenge to the A4 that will be allowed is peaceful competition, and that's what they're doing.

Frankly, if I were there and in control of the decision-making process, the A4 would go ahead and pound the Chinese leadership flat. Eliminate the threat of aggressive war from human history once and for all. Not Pax Americana.

Pax Aeterna.

Basically, the end result of Star Trek's WW3. The final bloody victory of Western liberalism over Eurasian despotism.

I think Benjamin Franklin's quote applies here.

Those who are willing to give up essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Thothian

Banned
Liberty given up? What?

Are any of the A4 nations not democracies?

If anyone's calling the shots, I'd rather it be governments that are accountable to their citizens.

No offense meant , but ending war and genocide forever is about as worthy a goal as you can imagine.

Last edited:
It is interesting that ITTL the real factors holding humanity back had little to do with the war in Europe. The failure of the A4 to include India and the total debacle in China were both avoidable and separate to that extraordinary war. If neither of those events had occurred this world would be vastly better than our own, IMO most of Asia would be approaching developed standards of living along with large parts of Latin America, while Africa and Europe would be doing reasonably well on the whole.

Liberty given up? What?

If anyone's calling the shots, I'd rather it be governments that are accountable to their citizens.

No offense meant , but ending war and genocide forever is about as worthy a goal as you can imagine.

The A4 are a lot like Sheriff "be good or I'll shoot you dead" Meyers from Fallout: New Vegas. They may do a lot of good and have the best interests of the world at heart, but their methods of keeping the peace are still uncomfortably draconian.

Last edited:

Wendigo

Banned
ITTL would historians make a differentiation between the Holocaust of the Jews and the mass killing of the Slavs or would they all fall under the same umbrella term?

Sir Chaos

Banned
Liberty given up? What?

Nothing is ended "forever". It´s ended until the day comes that the A4 collapses, and then all the pent-up hatred is going to explode. Or until the day China decides they´re ready for what they have planned and unleash their genetically engineered superbug that´ll target anyone not Han Chinese.

Besides, I´d wager the people of Stettin would disagree with the notion that war and genocide ended. Would, if there were any left alive.

Well, shit. Just skimmed through.

How brutal is this TL compared to average of this site? Is this ordinary or is this TL the lord of edgy alternate timelines?

Is there any information on the political, cultural and other status of Lithuania post-war? I know that this ended up as the second most brutal beating our country has ever gotten (after the 17th century, of course), but what about after that? Is "Forest of the Gods" still released or does Balys Sruoga croak in Stutthof before the escape? Is the song "Three Million" changed to "One Million" in light of the events? What about the politics of the country? Is there a dominant anti-German contingent?

I still think that the Baltic countries should have went through lighter. Sure, the percentages in Generalplan Ost are 50, 50 and 80% each, but the Balts were quite loyal to Germany and the Nazi ideology still considered them to be higher than Slavs in the racial pecking order, especially due to the Teutonic blood mixed in them, so I'd think that the percentages would have been lowered if the plan actually came to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.