Happy New Year everyone! And now for the first volley of responses for 2012!

Yep - actually, love him or hate him, Shatner too stuck to his acting chops, and later in life I think again proved he can in fact act. But Nimoy was early on clearly interested and capable of having a serious acting career.
Even on Star Trek, Shatner was wholly capable of turning in an excellent performance ("The City on the Edge of Forever" is the best example of this on the show proper). Nimoy, of course, was consistently good. The problem both of them had, though, was that if they felt the material to be beneath them, they really let it seep through into their performance (part of the reason the Turd Season was such a disaster IOTL). Contrast DeForest Kelley, a veteran, old-school character actor, who always gave every performance his all.

Glen said:
Now that is intriguing - and if you do, maybe I will tell you the Legend of the Doily War...
:confused: The... what?!

Glen said:
Sorry, I left out some explanation on that - I was thinking that with the increased emphasis on Space ITTL we might actually see NASA head as a Cabinet position, not that it was IOTL.
It wasn't even recognized as being of cabinet-level rank IOTL, either. I'm afraid that's all the bump I'm willing to give it for now.

Glen said:
MUST - HAVE - CROSSOVER - UPDATE - SOONEST!!!!
I'm not sure I care for your provocative tone, sir. I think I might have to contact a moderator, and get him to put a stop to this :p

An idea for James Doohan. Perhaps he could be involved somehow in engineering? He inspired some people to make that their career. Also, could the CBC invite him back? He appeared in a number of CBC shows early on- plus he was a Canadian WWII veteran...
These are all very good ideas. Therefore, I will not confirm or deny any of them :cool:

Yes, this actually happened. No I don't understand what happened to his acting ability between the '50s and '60s.
I think what he was trying to do was apply his Shakespearean training to the small screen. That's why Captain Kirk has such unusual speech patterns - they're actually iambic and trochaic rhythms. Applied to naturalistic modern dialogue, of course, they sound absurd. But this is the man who will not pronounce "sabotage" correctly because it "sickens" him. Like I said, raving egomaniac.

Perhaps it's a stage versus TV thing. With no live audience, he felt something was missing and tried to compensate with, well, I remember the jokes about his hamming it up [...] but I'm sure there's other stuff, too.
That's certainly possible. I think he's really just one of those actors who needs strong direction. If you want proof that Nicholas Meyer is a brilliant director, watch TWOK. "KHAAAAAN!" aside, he gives a downright subdued performance as Kirk. It's amazing to watch.

Goodness gracious Lordy me, I cannot believe I've missed this fabulous timeline until this point.:eek:

Not much I can praise you on that hasn't already been said - it's wonderful!
:eek: Thank you for all your kind words, Vultan. And welcome aboard!

vultan said:
Also not much I can suggest (you seem to have gotten an earful from those wanting an earlier Battlestar Galactica, and count me among them).
Duly noted. No promises, mind you, but it looks like I might have a riot on my hands (led by a moderator, no less) if I don't...

vultan said:
Maybe George Lucas is able to do an earlier Star Wars, or his Flash Gordon project.
We're going to encounter someone connected with George Lucas sooner than you might think.

vultan said:
And, though it isn't the focus of this timeline, I wonder how things are going on politically. For instance, let me think of a few political figures who became notable in the 70's. Ron Dellums. Jim Buckley. Jack Kemp. Bella Abzug. Ron Paul. John Hospers. Are any of them going to be different ITTL (or would that be a spoiler?:D)
I don't plan on focusing on politics again until the 1973-74 cycle (yes, that means I won't be doing an update on the 1972 presidential election). But I'll tell you where all of them are as of the 1970 midterms.

Dellums
: Serving on Berkeley City Council. Given the effective end of the overseas quagmire by 1969 ITTL, there was no need to recruit him to run against the incumbent congressman (Rep. Jeffery Cohelan) who supported it IOTL, and he remains in office.
Buckley: Elected Senator for New York in 1970, on the Conservative Party line, coming up the middle between two liberal candidates.
Kemp: The football star was elected as a Republican to the House of Representatives in 1970, representing a suburban Buffalo district.
Abzug: Elected as a Democrat to the House of Representatives in 1970, representing a Manhattan district.
Paul: A former Air Captain and prominent obstetrician-gynecologist working out of Lake Jackson, Texas.
Hospers: Chairman of the Department of Philosophy at the University of Southern California.

vultan said:
But speaking of politicians, I wonder how Senator Bill Proxmire, THE opponent of space exploration in OTL, is doing?
He and his erstwhile ally, Scoop Jackson (inasmuch as they both oppose President Humphrey's policies) spend most of the time grousing.

I wouln't object if he didn't because he got something else. Nor, TBH, if he still did; I liked the show, the character, & Savalas.;)
One of my readers has specifically asked after "Kojak", so I will discuss the fate of everyone's favourite cueballed Greek-American.

phx1138 said:
2 more right: "GAH" & "AN" (tho the casting of "AN", after the movie, was pretty odd; what part of James Caan looks like Mick Jagger?:confused::confused: Eric Pierpont was excellent.:cool:) I've never understood the appeal of David Lynch.:confused:

I will have more guesses for you shortly.

phx1138 said:
He was working for CBC at the time, no? What was he supposed to say?:p "This network sucks"?:rolleyes: ("CBC regrets to announce Peter Mansbridge is stepping down to spend more time with family.":p)
He still does. He's always been the CBC's biggest cheerleader.

phx1138 said:
"Kojak" appears to have depended quite a bit on a '63 murder case & false confession, in the pre-Miranda days, so IMO you'd get something like it in any case.
IOTL, the 1970s were the decade of cop shows, so I have no doubt that something like it would eventually air.

phx1138 said:
Also, I came across this. I didn't recall Bob Justman:cool: being associated with it.:eek: In the changed SF environment, it could go more than one season. (Yes, I liked it.:rolleyes:)
One of the "Big Five"? Well, that alone merits further investigation :cool:

phx1138 said:
Having made the mistake of watching that on cable,:eek::eek: you have no idea how glad I am.:p
I should clarify: the movie will still exist; DeForest Kelley just won't be appearing in it.

phx1138 said:
I am sorry about that.:( You don't suppose you could have him do something like "Matlock" after a decade or so?
You'll be lucky if I can get him to make his guest appearance on "The Littlest Hobo", as IOTL.

phx1138 said:
Knowing Lucy, I'd bet they get a better deal. She was a tough, smart businesswoman, but she'd also seen the other side, & I have no doubt she knew actors who were broke because they got denied residuals.
That Wacky Redhead is running a business, not a charity. I agree that she'd be more understanding and accommodating than the average studio chief or network executive, but she's not going to give away what she personally knows for a fact to be her most valuable asset.

phx1138 said:
You're such a tease.:p
:D

phx1138 said:
It was where he started, in Montreal. Bear in mind, this is a Canadian acting community, which is pretty small. He was good enough to get to Hollywood & make a steady living. In TV acting, excellence isn't mandatory.:rolleyes:
And as I'm sure you know, virtually all the halfway-decent Canadian actors leave for Hollywood or Broadway, leaving us with not much.

phx1138 said:
It's been years since I saw his "Twilight Zone" spots. Were they that bad?
I actually quite enjoyed his first, mostly forgotten appearance ("Nick of Time"). His second, far more memorable one ("There's... something... on-the-wing-of-the-plane!") is typical Shatner. (I enjoyed it, too, though for entirely different reasons.)

Well, I guess our next installment will be a New Year's Day treat. I await it with much anticipation!
You have it, sir! Expect the production appendix for the fifth (and last) season of Star Trek tonight!

You may have your misgivings about that crossover but there were plans for a similiar crossover iOTL only there were made more than thirty years later and they failed because "Enterprise" had not been renewed for a fifth season.

You may have your misgivings about that crossover but there were plans for a similiar crossover iOTL only there were made more than thirty years later and they failed because "Enterprise" had not been renewed for a fifth season.

There were no recent plans just some ideas by Rassilon T Davies that got too much publicity post facto.
The only time such a crossover would be possible - considering the negotiations needed by 2 studios and sundry producers and writers - would be when both shows are popular but needing access to another market; ie the late 60s

Appendix A, Part IV: Star Trek, Season 5 (1970-71)
Appendix A, Part IV: Star Trek, Season 5 (1970-71)

And now for the final season! (As always, editorial notes and comparison points to OTL will be highlighted in RED and placed in brackets.)

---

"Captain’s log, final entry. These have been the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Throughout her five-year mission, she explored strange new worlds, sought out and discovered new life and new civilizations, and has boldly gone where no others have gone before."

- James T. Kirk, delivering the final lines of Star Trek

Viewership for Star Trek declines somewhat from the peak achieved in the previous season, with a rating of 21.0, or 12.62 million households watching the average episode; these numbers are good for an overall ranking of #19 for the season. For the third consecutive season, it can be found in the Monday 7:30 timeslot, and despite its lower ratings, it is still consistently able to defeat "Gunsmoke" on CBS, to win the timeslot. Viewer demographics continue to be superb; indeed, they are now better than those for "Laugh-In", which ranks at #12 overall for the season. (These viewership numbers exclude those for the series finale, which will be included later.)

The average production budget is almost $300,000 per episode, though this includes both the two-part crossover with Doctor Who, and the two-part series finale. Excluding these, the budget is roughly $275,000 per episode; that this figure is above initial projections fails to surprise anyone. Whether NBC would agree to cover these exorbitant expenses if they hadn't already arranged for this to be the final season is doubtful – especially since their margins are now very slim indeed. Desilu, of course, are more than able to cover their margins, thanks to merchandising revenues. Indeed, the studio makes over $10 million from products bearing the Star Trek name in 1970 alone.

All members of the "Big Five" remain in the same positions they held in the previous season. Gene Roddenberry, still the nominal Executive Producer, spends virtually no time involved with the show's production; when he isn't developing new ideas to pitch to the studio, he's planning an elaborate wedding, to make an honest woman out of his long-suffering mistress, Majel Barrett. (IOTL, he married Barrett in Japan as soon as his divorce to his first wife went through - in the closing days of 1969.) Gene Coon, the Co-Executive Producer and showrunner, remains committed to his work, despite his own blissful second marriage, already in progress. Supervising Producer D.C. Fontana, though she spends most of her spare time writing spec scripts for other genre shows, in anticipation of the new opportunities awaiting her, also focuses on the task at hand: keeping up her writing duties for Star Trek. As always, the man who really keeps the show running is Robert Justman, the Producer. He never seems to tire of his micromanaging duties, which suits everyone else just fine. And finally, there is the Executive in Charge of Production, Herb Solow. His boss, Lucille Ball, had finally gotten the hint, and promoted him above needing to take a direct role in the production of Desilu's programming, though he remains with all of them through the end of the 1970-71 season; partly so that there will be time for a suitable replacement to be found, and partly so that Solow can continue on with his duties with Star Trek, to see the show off properly. He would never want anyone else to finish the task at hand.

At lower levels, there is even less movement. John Meredyth Lucas remains as Co-Producer, though he is forced to scale back on his directorial and writing duties to focus on actual producing. David Gerrold, the other Co-Producer, picks up the slack, spending virtually every spare moment writing for the show. As usual, most of his time is spent rewriting and punching up completed scripts, an act for which he receives no additional onscreen credit. The two Associate Producers, Gregg Peters and Eddie Milkis, are able to run a tight ship, though Milkis in particular is often out and about, looking for new opportunities. Early in 1971, Milkis meets Garry Marshall, developer and executive producer of "The Odd Couple", a Paramount production filmed on the Desilu lot, and becomes interested in an idea that Marshall is developing, tentatively titled "New Family in Town" (IOTL, this idea would eventually be developed as "Happy Days").

Which brings us to the cast: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelley once again appear in all the episodes of this season; this makes Shatner and Nimoy the only actors to appear in every episode of the entire series, Kelley having missed a few first-season shows. James Doohan, for the third consecutive season, also appears in every episode, cementing his status as first-tier cast member in all but name. (This ambiguity between the "Big Three" and the "Big Four" ITTL is part of the reason why Gerrold coined the term "Big Five", as a reference to and gentle mockery of the ensuing fan dispute.) Among the second-tier cast, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, Majel Barrett, and John Winston all appear in the majority of the season's shows. All four of the third-tier cast members – Martine, Mulhall, M’Benga, and Tamura – appear in several episodes apiece. The only episode(s) to feature all thirteen of them is the two-part series finale.

Interactions between the cast are considerably mellowed, tensions being much lower, and morale being much higher, with a clear end in sight. Nonetheless, Shatner continues to annoy his co-stars with his towering ego, which has produced yet another musical album, Man of the Future. (This was never produced IOTL; the world had to "wait" until 2004 for his second album, the actually-pretty-good Has Been, made during the height of Shatner's latter-day "comeback".) For his part, Leonard Nimoy, continuing to withdraw into himself and his drinking problem, interacts very little with his castmates or even the fans outside of the job. One new opportunity shared by both Shatner and Nimoy this season is the chance to direct episodes of the series. Kelley, for his part, is exhausted; his hours are even longer and harder than they were in past seasons, and having to referee and mediate conflicts between his castmates is emotionally draining. Doohan, though he continues to despise Shatner, does his best to avoid conflict for the good of the show. Takei, on the other hand, has no such reservations, and his feuds with Shatner become the talk of the Desilu lot. It occurs to many members of the crew that the cast seemed to get along much better when Star Trek was just a struggling show that was flying under the radar.

30 episodes are produced this season: 26 regular episodes; 2 episodes as part of the crossover with Doctor Who; and 2 episodes as part of the series finale (which is aired as one two-hour episode). 24 of these are directed by one of the five regular directors: Marc Daniels, Joseph Pevney, Vincent McEveety, Ralph Senensky, and Lucas. Shatner directs one episode; Nimoy directs two. Every episode but one is written, at least in part, by a veteran Star Trek writer. The highlights of the season include:

"The Borderland", the only episode credited entirely to a rookie, Larry Niven, who obviously has credentials as a science-fiction writer. The episode, which features an elaborate plot about disappearing starships and black holes, and is unusually "hard" science-fiction by Star Trek standards, is the most expensive of the 26 regular episodes, but wins plaudits for its literate script by Niven; up to and including the 1971 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, the third won by the series. (IOTL, Niven submitted this story idea
as "The Borderland of Sol" to D.C. Fontana for TAS; she declined, believing it too complex for a half-hour, so he instead sold them "The Slaver Weapon", a reworking of his own "The Soft Weapon". Niven also wrote, but never pitched, a script idea called "The Pastel Terror".)

"Cassandra", the fifth and final once-a-season contribution by Theodore Sturgeon, is a comedic episode featuring a clumsy Yeoman (Tamura, in her most developed part in the series), and a Gremlin-like mischief-making creature; similar to "The Trouble with Tribbles", though obviously with a more malevolent alien menace. (This episode was written for Phase II IOTL.)

"To Attain the All" continues the fifth-season trend of returning science-fiction writers, with Norman Spinrad (absent since the second season) coming back to write the story. It tells the tale of the Enterprise crew unwittingly becoming involved in a contest to access a vast repository of knowledge, though they soon discover themselves to be agents for disembodied aliens, similar to "Return to Tomorrow". (Another Phase II script. Spinrad isn't thrilled about coming back to work with Coon, but the producers ask really nicely.)

"Cyrano de Mudd", a Harry Mudd-Cyrano Jones teamup written by Stephen Kandel (with an uncredited rewrite by Gerrold), features the two trickster traders becoming involved in a galactic smuggling racket; their presence in the scheme alerts the crew of the Enterprise, and it's a madcap chase to intercept the illicit merchandise. (No OTL analogue; that truly terrible title is all mine.)

"The Savage Syndrome", written by Margaret Armen, features a strange device that strips inhibitions from humans and amplifies their rage, touching on themes from many previous episodes: "The Naked Time", "Day of the Dove", "The Savage Curtain"... with the added twist that Spock, for once, is completely immune, whereas Kirk is among the most strongly affected. Considered by the writing staff as a sign that they are running out of ideas, it is usually considered one of the fifth season's weakest episodes a symptom of having to write 30 instead of 26, in the view of many. (Another Phase II script, written by a series regular. Stale as stale can be.)

"Lord Bobby's Obsession" marks the return of first-season writer Shimon Wincelberg (also known as S. Bar-David), who spins the tale of a figure from days gone by, mysteriously found on a Klingon derelict. Similar to the episode "The Squire of Gothos", also from the first season, it features a seemingly omnipotent trickster character, who causes the Enterprise crew no end of trouble. (One last Phase II script. Again, the fact that it was written by a series veteran gives it priority. And again, nothing we haven't seen before.)

(In short, Season 5 is very uneven. A few episodes are considered among the very best of Star Trek, and there are few outright disasters, unlike in earlier seasons; but those stale episodes and overused plots really feel old here, to the point of being boring on occasion. The effects, props, costumes, and sets are at their most elaborate and ambitious in this season, which at least provides a lot of eye candy.)

And then there is the two-part series finale, "These Were the Voyages", aired on a single night: July 5, 1971, from 7:30 to 9:30 PM. In addition to all thirteen recurring Enterprise crewmen, the two most frequent guest characters
Admiral Komack, and the nefarious Klingon Captain Kor make an appearance in the finale, as does Spock's father, Ambassador Sarek (though only in the first part). Gene Roddenberry is credited for the story, but despite his providing a few suggestions, these are mostly discarded by the actual writers, Gene Coon and D.C. Fontana (credited for the teleplay), with input from Lucas, Gerrold, and even Justman. The plot entails the expiration of the Organian Peace Treaty, resulting in the Federation and the Klingons quickly coming to blows; chaos breaks loose when the Romulans launch a sneak attack on both sides. (ITTL, the Klingons and Romulans are not established as erstwhile allies, a situation which only came about because of budget limitations which forced the producers to reuse Klingon ship models for the Romulans; indeed, there is said to be tension between them, as an allegory of the Sino-Soviet split.) The Romulans, stand-ins for Red China through most of the series, suddenly become Imperial Japan analogues, with the Enterprise finding itself at the heart of a Pearl Harbor situation.

In the midst of a long-awaited and heated battle between Kirk and Kor, they're ambushed by a Romulan fleet, eager to take out the two enemy flagships. To the surprise of the Enterprise crew, Kor sacrifices his own ship, defiantly declaring that no one could defeat Kirk
except for him. This allows the Enterprise though badly wounded to defeat the remaining ships and escape. The Federation and Klingon fleets, learning of this sacrifice, form a truce, teaming up and beating back the Romulans. They are so successful in their joint offensive that they push the Romulans back to the Neutral Zone "faster than the Allied forces marched through Europe at the end of World War II", a classic example of the series directly referring to one of its allegorical situations. Thus, just as the Enterprise, crippled and outgunned, engages another Romulan Bird-of-Prey, and is facing certain doom, news arrives from Admiral Komack: all three sides have agreed to a tripartite truce. After the Enterprise hobbles to the nearest starbase, the story reaches a denouement, which functions as a long goodbye.

The five-year mission, as announced at the beginning of the finale, is drawing to a close; the crew are welcomed to Starbase 10 by Komack himself. (Byron Morrow makes his only appearance on-set with the other actors on this occasion; all his other appearances are as a talking head on a viewscreen, which adds to the significance of this scene.) The peace negotiations are underway, and Komack formally declares the end of the five-year mission, as of the end of that day (Stardate 9999.0). A round of promotions and reassignments are announced. Kirk is promoted to Commodore, and given command of the new ship, USS Excelsior. Spock is promoted to Captain, and given command of the ship on which he has served for his entire career: the Enterprise, pending repairs. Bones decides to resign his commission to return to Earth, and spend time with his daughter. The Big Three are going their separate ways, and indeed, all ten of the other recurring characters will move in one of those three directions. (Scotty seems to take the path of least resistance; he remains a Commander and Chief Engineer aboard the Enterprise, promoted only to First Officer.) The Enterprise is still spaceworthy, and Kirk convinces Komack to allow the crew one last patrol of the sector; he delivers his final log entry before the ship flies off, one last time.

The moral of the story is a simple one: in war, there is no victor; in peace, there is no loser. An unabashedly sentimental finale, everyone involved has good feelings about it, but even the most optimistic of them can not anticipate the public response. It
receives a 47.0 rating and a 75 share. This means that 47% of all television sets in the United States – and 75% or three-quarters of all those that are turned on – are tuned to Star Trek. This figure represented 28.25 million households. These remarkable numbers are enough to shatter previous ratings records, notably dethroning "The Fugitive" as the most-watched episode of any continuing series in television history. (The numbers for "The Fugitive" are a 45.9 rating and a 72 share, for 25.7 million households.) Without a doubt, the grand finale of Star Trek brings the era of classic television to an end with a big bang.

---

Thus concludes the original run of Star Trek ITTL. It ran from September 8, 1966, to July 5, 1971, for a total of 137 episodes, plus the unaired pilot. We'll be taking a look at Star Trek with two additional posts: a trivia and statistics update; and a legacy and aftermath update. One will be included in each of the next two cycles, so there's still more Star Trek to come!

I deliberately avoided discussing the Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover, which will be detailed in the next update. Thank you all very much for reading my longest post to date, and once again, Happy New Year. Here's to a most productive 2012!

Last edited:
Wow...this was amazing.

Have you read Solow and Justman's excellent book? (You probably have...)
One ASB idea for Nimoy...could he become more religious? (IOTL, he's worked a few albums dealing with Jewish High Holy Days, reading scripture., not to mention done some unusual photos which I have not seen of women posing for pictures wrapped in talliths, intended to represent or reflect the Shekinah, or so I have heard...)

Good Lord, that was entertaining, and even a bit touching.

Now for my pet questions...:D

1). Did the Gorn ever return after Arena?
2). How about the Tribbles?
3). If you could give us another movie or television series from any time series for comparison, how good were the starship and space battle effects by the last season?
4). Finally, with Niven writing an episode, did the Kzinti ever become part of Star Trek lore (John Chambers, who designed the makeup effects for Planet of the Apes as well as some stuff on Star Trek, including Spock's ears, could be up to the task of creating some "cat aliens"...)

Eagerly await more!:)

Impressive end to the season; impressive run for Trek overall. Incidentally, the MASH finale (which obviously doesn't happen ITTL, what with no MASH) got a 60.2 rating and a 77 share.

How much of the Klingon-Federation-Romulan conflict do we actually see, and how much do we learn through exposition?
So, what's next for Desilu?

BTW,did you just hint that TTL's Happy Days analogue would be a Desilu production?:cool:

I guess in the ITTL, when Marshall shopped the script around, Desilu said yes.

Which makes me wonder, if Paramount still produced "Love, American Style"? Marshall called it the place "where failed sitcom pilots went to die". That's where his pilot ended up before it gained a second life via Miller-Milkis Productions & Paramount Television.

I have fond memories of "Love, American Style". Of course, I saw it in syndication, I'm old but not that old. :D

Glen

One comment about the 'stale' episodes - that issue might only applies to people watching the episodes during original airing. With the production values and budgets increasing every year, the similar plot late episodes aired out of joint in syndication may actually be better regarded by the audience than the episodes that first explored those plots as they may look cheap and clumbsy - of course, a lot of that depends on how the cast handle those episodes.

I'm finding the comment interesting, but not all of it needs a reply.;)
Brainbin said:
These are all very good ideas. Therefore, I will not confirm or deny any of them :cool:
Given his success (greater than OTL), IMO you'd need to offer him something pretty juicy to lure him back here.
Brainbin said:
Duly noted. No promises, mind you, but it looks like I might have a riot on my hands (led by a moderator, no less) if I don't...
I'm calling the riot squad.:p
Brainbin said:
We're going to encounter someone connected with George Lucas sooner than you might think.
I wonder, would "THX1138" do better? (Non-partisan alert: I chose it because it was EZ to remember, & it was the plate number of the yellow Deuce in "American Grafitti", not because I have a particular like of the movie.:rolleyes:)
Brainbin said:
I will have more guesses for you shortly.
;) At your convenience.
Brainbin said:
IOTL, the 1970s were the decade of cop shows, so I have no doubt that something like it would eventually air.
I never doubted that for a second.:p
Brainbin said:
One of the "Big Five"? Well, that alone merits further investigation :cool:
It does occur to me, if Justman is sticking with Desilu (as it would appear), he wouldn't be doing "Search"...unless it comes to Desilu.:cool:
Brainbin said:
I should clarify: the movie will still exist
:eek::eek: Tho looking at it, it's actually "based on" a book, which looks like it could be an Oz answer to "Dr Strangelove" or "MASH", if it sticks closer to the source material instead of doing absurd horror.
Brainbin said:
You'll be lucky if I can get him to make his guest appearance on "The Littlest Hobo", as IOTL.
:(:( (At least "Hobo" was a good show, before some Canadian turnipsuit:p decided to remake it.:rolleyes::mad: {I'm frankly astounded:p the remake went longer.:eek::confused:})
Brainbin said:
That Wacky Redhead is running a business, not a charity. I agree that she'd be more understanding and accommodating than the average studio chief or network executive, but she's not going to give away what she personally knows for a fact to be her most valuable asset.
I don't suggest she'd give away the store, by any means.:eek: Just pinch a penny or two less.;)
Brainbin said:
And as I'm sure you know, virtually all the halfway-decent Canadian actors leave for Hollywood or Broadway, leaving us with not much.
:rolleyes::( I became convinced, in the '80s, it was a clause in the Film Canada rules that, to get money from them, you had to hire Jennifer Dale or Mike Ironside, preferably both.:rolleyes::p
Brainbin said:
I actually quite enjoyed his first, mostly forgotten appearance ("Nick of Time").
I've a vague recollection of this being about bad luck, & a couple almost deciding to stay on a small town based on a fortune cookie.:eek: No? (Needless to say, I don't recall the quality of the performances.:rolleyes:)
Brainbin said:
His second, far more memorable one ("There's... something... on-the-wing-of-the-plane!") is typical Shatner. (I enjoyed it, too, though for entirely different reasons.)
Maybe it's me, I don't recall it being that bad.:eek:
Brainbin said:
The only episode(s) to feature all thirteen
For all that, they had a cast smaller than the starring ensemble in "HSB".:eek:
Brainbin said:
the 1971 Hugo Award
Bravo.:cool::cool: Thank you on behalf of Larry. I've been a fan of his for years.:cool: (Hmm....Ringworld might be too expensive...;) Still, "Best Screenplay" nomination for Larry & David?:cool: {I had the sense Larry didn't get along with Harlan, but... They did know each other awhile.})

In re Kzin, IIRC, that's who the "TAS" Katians were supposed to be.
Brainbin said:
"Jonesing for Mudd",
Unless I'm very mistaken, they wouldn't even think of that. AFAIK, the word wouldn't be coined for about 20 more years.:eek:
Brainbin said:
...Kor sacrifices his own ship, defiantly declaring that no one could defeat Kirk – except for him. This allows the Enterprise – though badly wounded – to defeat the remaining ships and escape. The Federation and Klingon fleets, learning of this sacrifice, form a truce, teaming up and beating back the Romulans.
And why am I thinking of Denise Crosby?:p
Brainbin said:
Kirk is promoted to Commodore, and given command of the new ship, USS Excelsior
I do like him getting an entirely new ship, but I'm less sure you'd see promotion to Commodore: it's been an honorary title for the senior captain aboard. (That said, it's not a major complaint, more a quibble.;) They're almost as bad as the furry buggers.:p)

I particularly like the "life goes on" approach. IMO, that's what Gene would've done: figured out a way they could make peace.
Brainbin said:
a 47.0 rating and a 75 share.
:eek::eek: Even the "Roots" finale wouldn't beat a 75 share.:eek: It will take "Who shot J.R.?". (No comment on your intentions in that direction; I make no claims of being able to predict you.;) Just a measure of the scale.)

I'm betting this also means "TOS" does quite a bit better in syndication, & not only for having more episodes.
Glen said:
BTW,did you just hint that TTL's Happy Days analogue would be a Desilu production?:cool:
I guess in the ITTL, when Marshall shopped the script around, Desilu said yes.
That also suggests "Mork & Mindy" will be out of Desilu, too.:cool: With hits like that, The Wacky Redhead is going to be a genuine mogul.:cool: (Hmmm... You don't suppose they'd make "Duel" as a theatrical release, do you?:cool: Or "The California Kid"?:cool::cool: (Tho actually, that would mean fewer people would see them...:()

And a happy, productive;) New Year to you, too.:):):)

Last edited:
Great work, Brainbin! Also, regarding "Jonesing for Mudd...

Unless I'm very mistaken, they wouldn't even think of that. AFAIK, the word wouldn't be coined for about 20 more years.:eek:

I got the impresion that he wasn't really sure what to call it, as this was all his own. I was thinking "Tribbles Rolling in the Mudd":) I like the comedy you can do with them - I got Voyager home with them in one early fanfic (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/25354/1/bDouble_b_bDouble_b_bToil_b_and_bTribble_b And, it would allow an homage to Abbott and Costello:
Kirk: It's even worse now; the tribbles are all Mudders.
Bones: Considering they're born pregnant, it makes sense.

(edit - the rest of the short scene came to me a few mintues later, so I changed it to the Big Three - though you could have Scotty begin it if you wanted)

Spock: I believe the captain was making reference to Harry Mudd, not to thei being mothers.
McCoy: I got that, Spock; I was paying homage to an old earth comedy duo named Abbott and Costello. They used plays on words like that all the time.
Spock: I see. At any rate, hopefully he has not brought the fodder he did back at (whatever the statiojn was in "The Trouble With Tribbles")
McCoy: The fodder? Spock, if you only knew how funny that was.

You could also have Spock do it on purpose - "In that case, I suppose I might add to it by saying that I hope he does not bring the fodder...")

Last edited:
Great work, Brainbin! Also, regarding "Jonesing for Mudd...

I got the impresion that he wasn't really sure what to call it, as this was all his own. I was thinking "Tribbles Rolling in the Mudd":) I like the comedy you can do with them - I got Voyager home with them in one early fanfic (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/25354/1/bDouble_b_bDouble_b_bToil_b_and_bTribble_b And, it would allow an homage to Abbott and Costello:
Kirk: It's even worse now; the tribbles are all Mudders.
Bones: Considering they're born pregnant, it makes sense.

(edit - the rest of the short scene came to me a few mintues later, so I changed it to the Big Three - though you could have Scotty begin it if you wanted)

Spock: I believe the captain was making reference to Harry Mudd, not to thei being mothers.
McCoy: I got that, Spock; I was paying homage to an old earth comedy duo named Abbott and Costello. They used plays on words like that all the time.
Spock: I see. At any rate, hopefully he has not brought the fodder he did back at (whatever the statiojn was in "The Trouble With Tribbles")
McCoy: The fodder? Spock, if you only knew how funny that was.

You could also have Spock do it on purpose - "In that case, I suppose I might add to it by saying that I hope he does not bring the fodder...")
:D Could they bring Finnegan back for that episode too? (After all, Finnegan was the horse in that A&C scene...)

DTF955Baseballfan said:
I got the impresion that he wasn't really sure what to call it, as this was all his own.
I got that. The anachronism bugged me.:( Could have been "Mudding up with the Joneses" (tho that tends to imply duplicates: more androids? Aliens taking their identities?:eek: Actually not bad: make Harry & Cyrano "good guys" for a change.:eek:)
DTF955Baseballfan said:
homage to Abbott and Costello
:eek::eek::eek::eek: Please, please, no more homage to 400 year old material.
DTF955Baseballfan said:
You could also have Spock do it on purpose
I do like that idea.:cool: Except, you really need to have at least one other Vulcan present to get the joke, & make it subtle. I don't believe Vulcans have no humor; they're exceedingly intelligent, so I have to think they have exceptional grasp of the ironic. What I see is, "There are 2 kinds of people: those who think the Stooges are funny, & Vulcans, who wonder why".:p Vulcan slapstick humor would be on the order of E=mc3. (A very, very old joke on Vulcan...:rolleyes:)

It would have to be something like this:
Spock: "One would need to change the adenosine to trisodium phosphate."
(Kirk is confused.)
McCoy: "That would--" (Stops as he tries to predict the outcome.)
Vulcan #2: "It would turn all the tribbles...fluorescent pink, I believe." (Spock angles his head in a nod.) "Such low humor? Really, Spock, you've spent entirely too much time with humans. There are two kinds: those who find low humor amusing, & those who wonder why." (He leaves in a particularly Vulcan aloof snit.:p)
(Kirk contemplates Spock.) "You didn't turn your sehlat pink, did you?"
Spock: "No." (2 beats.) "It was a classmate's. He was certain I'd done it, but could never establish how. And my father insisted on him doing so before he would punish me."
(Take McCoy, surprised & shocked.)
--Fin--
:D

What the heck!I ignored this TL way too long.Good work.BTW what happens to Walt Disney and his planned EPCOT, etc?Do they vanish.No Disney World?

Must...have...crossover! I...need...my...crossover!

:D:D

I think it's best done with a Giant Space Rift Thingy.
Enterprise goes inside to investigate and the Tardis materialises having also gone to investigate the GSRT from its "side".

That way the canon of both series (to that date) is mostly intact and you don't need to shoehorn one history into the other.

Added bonus that it promotes AH stories into (near) mainstream!