Tales From Another World: Three Amigos Vignettes and Details

Letter from a city of ice and snow​

Hello everyone!

I’m sorry it took so much time for me to write back but I have been quite busy getting accustomed to Montréal and Polytechnique. I’ve made some very good friends here already along with the rest of the exchange students.

It is very different from Vietnam. The students here do not care about your family’s status. One of my friends, André, is a logger’s son while Vincent’s family owns a small shop in Trois-Rivières. There’s also Marcel whose family are headmasters and mayors but I couldn’t believe it because of how humble he is. Vincent actually told me he and the others were happy to meet Vietnamese students that were not from the old families because we’re friendlier. Apparently the aristocrats had to adjust to how everyone here is equal.
Our teachers are strict but fair. They do not mock us for getting answers wrong but instead will help us if we care to ask for their help. I did hear that one student got berated after he tried to brag to the teacher that his father was a minister in Vietnam to avoid failing a class. Apparently, Professor Kadoka merely stared at him before continuing his way.

Otherwise, the Canadians have been very welcoming and showed us many things. Can you believe that they can fish on ice? I thought that they were joking because I told them that our family were fishermen but André took us to Philipsburg. His father owns this little cabin that they put on the ice there that lines with holes so we can fish. The cabin and its stove kept us warm while we waited for the fish to bite. It was a lot of fun and the fish was delicious. They also asked us to show them what Tet is like next year.

I hope that Kiet is alright in all the fighting and I am praying for his safety. One of my friends got a letter that his brother was killed near Vinh when the Communists attacked. Many of us are worried right now after what the North did during Tet and some of my friends have not been able to have any news from their families.

Please stay safe everyone.
Your beloved son, Nhu

Author's notes:
Laziness and me being my own worst critic are the main culprits as to why this snippet didn't come out earlier. It's actually based on the stories of a man I've met a few years ago at university. He was a retired engineer that studied at Polytechnique during the 1960-70's and met Vietnamese students who came to study there at the time. Interestingly enough, after he retired, he decided to study history and wound up doing his PhD on the history of the Allied Bombing Campaign in France . I had some fun discussions with him.

I'm working on a bunch of different additions to this world - what Transportation looks like in the Amigos, the story of a young Muslim Man in Western Mexico who became a billionaire, the meaning behind the Night of the Rainbow, the opening of the world's first Space-Based Solar Power facility, Science Shows for Grownups, a rebirth for Ocean Liners and Rigid Airships and the coronation of Charles III in this world (which is a rather bigger affair than in ours).

@daspaceasians has done superb work so far and if anybody else wants to toss a chapter in of what they think may become in the world of the Three Amigos, send a PM to me and I'll pass it off of the others, and if it's good, welcome to the new Universe, my peoples. 🙂

chapter in of what they think may become in the world of the Three Amigos, send a PM to me and I'll pass it off of the others, and if it's good, welcome to the new Universe, my peoples. 🙂
If you want I sent my idea for a railroad museum and tourist train in Niles Michigan to discuss in addition to my past railway preservation ideas.

Plus some ideas for how walt Disney living longer can affect the animation industry.