state of Ireland

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Zarth, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Zarth Well-Known Member

what would you have to do to make ireland a state or states in the US and how much would it change history?

2. David bar Elias Well-Known Member

Well, Harry Harrison could decide to write an even more insane Ameriwank scenario......:D

Realistically, however, I can't think of a plausible POD short of a super-USA conquering the British Isles.

3. Zarth Well-Known Member

i didnt really think of pluasiblity more jsut some random idea thats been bouncing around my head for a while

4. Hapsburg Robrotrenominator

Massive Irish popular revolution, inspired by the French Revolution and the American Revolution, which creates an independent Ireland; and subsequently, enamored by the American ideals of liberty and freedom, make a treaty with the US that makes them a state. Like an overseas texas.

'Course, it's implausible as hell, but at least it's coherent.

5. Tyr air in space

Not really.
    'Yey we've overthrown our evil protestant oppressor and gained our freedom!!!
    Lets join another even more protestant, evil oppressor!'

6. Fabilius AH.com´s most active lurker

I doubt that USA would become an oppressor. Anyhow it´s still impossible. Doubt Britain would allowe US troops so close to Britain in the 19th century.

7. EvolvedSaurian Hairy Heathen

Not gonna happen. 'Nuff said.

8. 67th Tigers Banned

The US was far more anti-Catholic than the UK until fairly recently. Hence my disbelief at "Stars and Stripes" and "1862".

9. Thande SWALLOWS·AND·AMAZONS·FOR·EVER!

Cornwall as an American state, on the other hand... ;)

10. TyrannusZero #PaulMcNuttNeedsHisOwnTwitterAccount

Harry Harrison: Hey! Stop making fun of me! I researched this for like....three minutes based off info I changed on Wikipedia! I guess all of you hate stories where we Americans send up King...err...Queen Victoria and her evil purple....err.....maroon....err.....redcoats with uber metal gunboats and nuclear bombs invented by Sherman! Wait until you see my sequel: The Stars and Stripes Attacks Jupiter!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  11. Tyr air in space

Well neither was Britain.

12. TyrannusZero #PaulMcNuttNeedsHisOwnTwitterAccount

Harry Harrison: Yes they were! Britain was the most evil, snooty, mean, uncool power on the planet since Nazi Germany's fall in 1786! :mad:

:p

13. Tyr air in space

Harry Harrison?

14. TyrannusZero #PaulMcNuttNeedsHisOwnTwitterAccount

Yes, I fogot the Stars and Stripes author's name. So I took a guess.

15. EvolvedSaurian Hairy Heathen

Now that's just cruel. Making us learn British dialects.

16. Keenir Banned

a bunch of Irishmen flee the East Coast of the early 19th Century US, heading west, founding a nation that they call "Ireland". decades later (or a century later), under a new generation, they agree to join the USA, as a state.

17. The Man anti-establishment figure

Maybe under a longer Kennedy Adminstration?

18. Nicole Parallel Universe Imajin

Ah yes, the Plantations of Ireland were a benevolent move. Oh, and the denying Catholics political rights. Ah yes, the United Kingdom was nothing but benevolent to the Irish...

19. Fletch Free the Unicorn!

The Catholics from before the days of the plantation until after the last jacobite rising britain were dangerous people who wanted to destroy the country, thats why they were denied rights. Guy Fawkes hardly wanted freedom of religion, he wanted to destroy Protestant rule, also the UK ended slavery how long before the USA?
    This is swings and roundabouts though, every state has done bad things, but to suggest Ireland joining the US is unrealistic, in my opinion, I just can't see a way of it happening.

20. Fellatio Nelson Tal, tywyll a gyda pants ar

Of course, all the evil British working classes had the vote and plenty of money whilst all this was going on in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the Irish were just our version of your Native Americans. They, too, were often viewed as potential subversives, occupying land that the govt. wanted.

Have you never seen Dances With Leprechauns, with Kevin O'Costner?

:p