Sæculum Novum

Haha Thank you :)

Oh, I actually have been updating Superpowers during the last year; I think my last major update was a month ago. 2014 was a year of vast changes, since that was when I did a full rewrite of the entire narrative. This slowed down as I began here but that will change now as I take a more relaxed approach (albeit with more serious attention to detail and accuracy in light of what I hope to continue learning here). This thread will not die - and new installments will continue - but they will come when they come. I find a wiki format more relaxing but I don't want to lose the interactivity and capacity for feedback here.

On that note, I also don't care much for that other wiki - for administrative, aesthetic, and social reasons, among others - so I will be looking into moving everything to the wiki attached to this forum, if that is possible. My only misgiving is that I know the code better on the other wiki but I can figure this one out quickly enough.

So I'm not leaving :) Just switching focus!

There haven't been many posts pushing me to write faster ...

Honestly, according to my personal experience, pushing people to write faster leads to nothing. But, well, ... faster writing.

I am sad to hear, that you are not longer motivated to focus on this thread. Especially because your revised story is great. It is a well written and planned gradual approach to reform the empire. I was always very sceptical, wether it is possible at all, to avoid the 3rd century crisis starting as late as the reign of Aurelius and Commodus. But if there is an opportunity, your TL is damn close and almost perfect now.

Of course we are still eagerly waiting for your ideas about the internal measures to reform the roman empire, but your well thought out measures to cover the external threats look very promising so far.

I once started a roman TL by myself in 2013. But after just one chapter I stopped it. Not because I was heavily criticized, but because I saw, that for implementing reforms, the most challenging part is a smooth and plausible transition. Every plausible approach always struggles against the strong ancient culture and timocratic society; particularly against the very special roman mindset. But I did not give up. I just decided, that I had to do more homework first. I am still interested in writing such an alternate history. In the meantime I got about 10 chapters partially finished, but none of them is ready to be published at the present stage. You know, everything is connected, so I always come back to almost complete chapters and revise them a bit. But I hope, that I can soon publish my 2nd attempt of an alternate roman TL.

So please, never give up. Your story is heading into the very right direction. Take your time, whatever is hampering you. I would be very interested in your ideas about religion and government. I also would like to know, how your external measures will develop in the next century. And I know no better place to discuss it than this forum.

PS: I am going to comment some details of your revised story in my next post.

EDIT: Obviously we posted in parallel. So you post above makes me hope, that you will keep this thread alive. Thank you for that.
There is a wiki attached to this forum?

Last edited:
Sulla oversaw the raising of new legions - Legio I Histria and Legio IV Italica - from among the locals

I was first shocked, that you raise again new legions after the plague and the bankrupcy. Although you tried your very best to mention the very stressed finances these days.

Legiones III Italica and IV Flavia Felix were united as Legio III Gemina, as were Legiones II Italica and X Gemina as Legio IV Gemina, while the other Pannonian legions returned at less than full strength.

But after I had read about this measure, I saw that it was a reasonable and rather careful approach. It is crazy to provincialize Bohemia now. But honestly, there is no time to do it later, and I doubt there is going to be a better chance. So it had to be done somehow.

Around Pannonia, the provincia augvstvm of Marcomannia was established to govern the Marcomanni, Qvadi, and Hermvndvri across the Danube. A series of legionary encampments stretching almost 400 km along the Carpates was strung through land permitted to the defeated Germans, under the close watch of Tarrutenius as legatvs avgvstvs pro praetore of the new territory.

Did you say, that just the borderland in the Sudeten Mountains and Carpathians is permitted for germans or the entire province Marcomannia? Of course your colonization program with germans in Pannonia and elsewhere helps. Also massive recruiting of auxiliaries and moving them to the other end of the world often helped.

I also like your detailed description of the versatile fortifications at the border. Actually a map would help a lot to understand all your ideas.

I was a bit surprised about the Hermunduri. They were allies of the Marcomanns, but lived west of Bohemia in southern Germania (Franken and perhaps Thueringen). Longterm I see them as a part of an expanded Germania superior and not as part of a province Marcomannia. So I would be interested, why you decided to do it this way.

Marcomannia was divided into three client kingdoms, each ruled by a Germanic king and afforded a share of the fertile lowlands in addition to the burden of the mountain defenses. Three legions remained in the region, ostensibly to assist in defending the frontier but more importantly to watch over the new Roman clients.

Now this is a very interesting concept. I guess you know, that this can't work for long. But as part of a temporary step in a "offensive in-depth strategy", as we discussed in this other thread about the Rhine border ( https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=360204 ) it sounds like a good measure for now. Well, interrupting an ongoing provincialization by implementing 3 client kings is a rather radical and unseen move. Again a map would help. Who are the three kings: Hermunduri, Marcomanns, Quadi?

Armenia would serve as a useful buffer for Rome in the East and could keep a close eye on the affairs of Persia. A few legions under Pescennius Niger were sent to Kartlia to secure its loyalty, forming another eastern client for Rome.

Meanwhile, Osroene had been annexed as a provincia avgvstvm in reaction to the king's disloyal flirtations with Persia which had instigated the war in the first place. The legions that would remain in the eastern provinces could now be split between Syria, Egypt, and this new province of Mesopotamia. Reinforcing the new status quo were ten legions, most of which were nowhere near full strength.

So Sulla sacked Ctesiphon including the parthian treasury. What a lucky bastard. This gold will help a lot, even if not endlessly.

Implementing full roman client states in Armenia and the Caucasus, and provincializing Osrhoene aka Nothern Mesopotamia is perhaps the most reasonable first step. If there is a gradual approach to conquer the Parthian Empire at all. I am sure, that you know, that the parthians cannot accept that. As soon as their internal trouble or whatever hampers them for now is solved, they will attack with everything they have.

Again you deploy legions into client kingdoms like you did in Bohemia; an innovative approach. I am just not sure, if I understood, where you got these 10 legions from? 5 were already there, 2 from Egypt/Arabia, 1 newly recruited and 2 established from Rhine/Danube vexillations? You know that this might not be enough in the long run, after 2 legions had to return at least to Egypt and Arabia. And Sulla spent already some parthian gold on his caledonian campaign. However, using one-time-loot for raising standing armies is never a good idea. What Sulla needs is economical growth with more ongoing tax-income. And therefore most propably a well thought out tax reform and an idea how to fight corruption.

PS: If you are planning to break the neck of the Parthian Empire later, I recommend to read one of Sydessertfox's threads and G.Washington_Fuckyeah's thread, where we already discussed the challenges coming along with such a campaign. Short summary: The challenge is not that much the military conquest, but the political and cultural nightmare coming along with it, impacting the whole empire in many regards.

Last edited:
Haha Thank you :)

Oh, I actually have been updating Superpowers during the last year; I think my last major update was a month ago. 2014 was a year of vast changes, since that was when I did a full rewrite of the entire narrative. This slowed down as I began here but that will change now as I take a more relaxed approach (albeit with more serious attention to detail and accuracy in light of what I hope to continue learning here). This thread will not die - and new installments will continue - but they will come when they come. I find a wiki format more relaxing but I don't want to lose the interactivity and capacity for feedback here.

On that note, I also don't care much for that other wiki - for administrative, aesthetic, and social reasons, among others - so I will be looking into moving everything to the wiki attached to this forum, if that is possible. My only misgiving is that I know the code better on the other wiki but I can figure this one out quickly enough.

So I'm not leaving :) Just switching focus!

So you are going to use this timeline to verify the concepts? good idea!

How is Latin going to evolve in the new version? I'm studying it right now, so I can tell you that some degradation is inevitable. The -us and -um and -u endings probably morphed into o even before the collapse of the west, and that's just one example. The full case system was only really used by the aristocrats, which due to the population growth ttl there should be LESS of, so I don't think Latin can just stay the same as in superpowers, it would take longer then otl but eventually common Latin and upper class Latin would become separate languages.

The re-write on the other wiki is very good, but still implausible, are you going to re-re-write it on the wiki here? I'm a little confused.

Last edited:
Actually already during the late republic everybody could identify a roman aristocrat, if he just spoke one sentence.

A proletarian listening Cicero's speech against Verres, had most probably the same issues to understand, what the hell this guy was talking about, as we have today after years of latin lessons. :D

I am also a bit confused about the wiki. But as long as the discussion is here on the forum with links to the chapters on wiki, I am fine.

ancient Rome be like:

*2 senators are arguing with each other, 2 plebs are watching*

senator1: YOU SUCK SO BAD THAT YOUR MOTHER'S FATHER BET AGAINST YOU IN A DUMBNESS CONTEST

senator2: HOW DARE YOU! YOUR POLICIES SMELL WORSE THEN THE TIME QUINTUS OVER THERE POOPED WHILE GIVING A SPEECH!

pleb1: dafack dey talkin bout bruh?

pleb2: I dont give 2 shits but im hungry as a bare!

pleb2: HEY FANCY ANUS MEN! WHERE DA HELL IZ DA BREAD U PROMISED?

senator1: over there! *he points to a table with one slice of bread on it that hundereds of people are fighting over*

*the senators start arguing again*

pleb2: dauym dat sukz. wat do we do nawo?

pleb1: I no! HEY EVERYONE! DA SENATERS R BEING GREEDY AGAIUN! RIOT TIME!

*the other plebs stop fighting over the bread and start beating up the senators*

senator2: NO! must... say... one... more... speech...

*the senators are beaten to death by the crowd*

*the 2 plebs run away laughing with the bread*

pleb1: HA! fewled dem gud boi!

pleb2: SUCKAS!

And that is how ancient Rome appears to me to be like:D

Last edited:
Agricola said:
I am sad to hear, that you are not longer motivated to focus on this thread. Especially because your revised story is great. It is a well written and planned gradual approach to reform the empire. I was always very sceptical, wether it is possible at all, to avoid the 3rd century crisis starting as late as the reign of Aurelius and Commodus. But if there is an opportunity, your TL is damn close and almost perfect now.

Of course we are still eagerly waiting for your ideas about the internal measures to reform the roman empire, but your well thought out measures to cover the external threats look very promising so far.

Thank you, Agricola, this is very encouraging. I hope that I will continue to meet these expectations of plausibility :)

But after I had read about this measure, I saw that it was a reasonable and rather careful approach. It is crazy to provincialize Bohemia now. But honestly, there is no time to do it later, and I doubt there is going to be a better chance. So it had to be done somehow.

[...]

Now this is a very interesting concept. I guess you know, that this can't work for long. But as part of a temporary step in a "offensive in-depth strategy", as we discussed in this other thread about the Rhine border ( https://www.alternatehistory.com/disc...d.php?t=360204 ) it sounds like a good measure for now. Well, interrupting an ongoing provincialization by implementing 3 client kings is a rather radical and unseen move. Again a map would help. Who are the three kings: Hermunduri, Marcomanns, Quadi?

Yes, ultimately there is no increase in the number of legions by war's end and many legions are left at less than full strength. Right on both accounts about Bohemia! I suspect my attempt to provincialize Bohemia, only for that effort to be halted when resources are needed elsewhere, reflects these facts. My understanding is that the limiting factor in the longevity of this new approach is the lifespans of the kings and of the emperor - if either die, then actions would need to be taken to preserve the situation, and even with the same kings ultimately something will go fatally wrong as long as Germanic client kings are in charge (the Dacian King Decebalus provides a good example of this sort of failure, although he is surely an extreme case regarding ambition and "Mel Gibson"-ey attitudes).

As for the kings, I have left that ambiguous for now. I thought that taking them from individual groups - perhaps two Marcomanni and one Quadi - would be realistic but I'm uncertain (a) how meaningful those distinctions are to the Germanics themselves and (b) how wise uniting people of one group into the same kingdom is, if these identities are meaningful. Either way, it seems, the use of Quadi/Marcomanni distinctions does not seem realistic. I don't want to make this decision without more information.

Did you say, that just the borderland in the Sudeten Mountains and Carpathians is permitted for germans or the entire province Marcomannia? Of course your colonization program with germans in Pannonia and elsewhere helps. Also massive recruiting of auxiliaries and moving them to the other end of the world often helped.

The entire province of Marcomannia (as well as Pannonia as you say). However, I have chosen not to place the border on the Sudeten Mountains as this makes the frontier too long and leaves a less defensible frontier in the West near Raetia. However, I could be convinced that a Sudeten frontier is a more realistic choice. You are certainly right that a map would help here - I will work on that when I can :)

I was a bit surprised about the Hermunduri. They were allies of the Marcomanns, but lived west of Bohemia in southern Germania (Franken and perhaps Thueringen). Longterm I see them as a part of an expanded Germania superior and not as part of a province Marcomannia. So I would be interested, why you decided to do it this way.

Oh! Thank you for pointing this out. My inclusion of the Hermunduri is a lack of information, if anything. If the Hermunduri are not among the conquered regions, then I suppose they would not take kindly to the conquest of their former allies and would be fomenting trouble in Marcomannia. This problem fits nicely with the efforts put into fortifying the borders of the new province to prevent any incursions.

Implementing full roman client states in Armenia and the Caucasus, and provincializing Osrhoene aka Nothern Mesopotamia is perhaps the most reasonable first step. If there is a gradual approach to conquer the Parthian Empire at all. I am sure, that you know, that the parthians cannot accept that. As soon as their internal trouble or whatever hampers them for now is solved, they will attack with everything they have.

Hmm, that's reasonable but the question is when that will happen. My thought is that Khosrov will have to deal with usurpation by one or both of his older brothers, who likely would not take kindly to being skipped in the succession. Who wins this civil war is an open question although Khosrov likely has the advantage. If Khosrov finds himself Shah of a united Persia without internal troubles, then I'm actually uncertain he will go straight to war with Rome. Before the Parthian War ITTL, Khosrov is known to have a neutral attitude toward Rome and it isn't clear to me how that attitude would change by having Rome place him on the throne he would otherwise never have received (since this gift comes poisoned with the loss of two vassals and an empty treasury). Perhaps, in the end, geopolitical factors will make his attitude irrelevant and force him to attack Rome for these losses as a matter of maintaining his authority but I will need to give the matter more thought.

Again you deploy legions into client kingdoms like you did in Bohemia; an innovative approach. I am just not sure, if I understood, where you got these 10 legions from? 5 were already there, 2 from Egypt/Arabia, 1 newly recruited and 2 established from Rhine/Danube vexillations? You know that this might not be enough in the long run, after 2 legions had to return at least to Egypt and Arabia.

Great questions! I had found that the eastern legions during the reign of Marcus Aurelius included seven legions already in Syria ( Legiones II Adiutrix, III Gallica, IV Scythica, VI Ferrata, X Fretensis, XII Fulminata, and XVI Flavia Firma) and two legions in Egypt (Legiones II Traina and III Cyrenaica). With the new legion raised in Syria, this brings the total to ten. The vexillations from the Danube will likely be integrated into the local legions, at least whichever vexillations are not brought to Caledonia where they will have another fate that I will touch on in a minute. Given the loss of thousands of men in the Parthian War, most of these legions will have poor numbers afterward. With two legions returning to Egypt/Arabia, this leaves one full strength legion and seven weaker legions defending the eastern provinces and new client kingdoms (the majority will be spread between Syria and Mesopotamia but at least one will be in Armenia).

This seems to initially leave roughly 25,000 legionaries for the frontier against Persia. To be sure, more auxiliaries will be needed to make up for this weakness on this end (down from a normal strength of about 36,000 legionaries - i.e. about 2/3rds of what normally defends against Parthia).

However, using one-time-loot for raising standing armies is never a good idea. What Sulla needs is economical growth with more ongoing tax-income. And therefore most probably a well thought out tax reform and an idea how to fight corruption.

Quite right! I have a number of ideas for tax reform that I had initially planned for later in the timeline but the need for them is far more pressing now and, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention :) The core concept will be an expansion of the taxation practices in Italy to the provinces (i.e. abolition of tax farming) and the renewal of the Census, as Hadrian had done without putting in place the appropriate structures for future censi. However, given how early it is, I may moderate this abolition of tax farming to just include cities and towns, while leaving those practices for rural regions and villages. I mention this now to get some feedback before including it in the next installment.

PS: If you are planning to break the neck of the Parthian Empire later, I recommend to read one of Sydessertfox's threads and G.Washington_Fuckyeah's thread, where we already discussed the challenges coming along with such a campaign. Short summary: The challenge is not that much the military conquest, but the political and cultural nightmare coming along with it, impacting the whole empire in many regards.

If G.Washington_Fuckyeah's thread is his Trajan story, then I know where to find that but I have not seen Slydessertfox's thread. I'll take a look for these discussions of the challenges. However, I don't intend on having Sulla end Parthia, since, as you summarized, the integration of provinces covering Persia is a nightmare. My last rewrite of this alternate history had an annexation of Persia in the 7th century and even then I saw it as ultimately failing as an overextended occupying force faced an external invasion forcing it to abandon Persia.

swag of the swag said:
So you are going to use this timeline to verify the concepts? good idea!

[...]

The re-write on the other wiki is very good, but still implausible, are you going to re-re-write it on the wiki here? I'm a little confused.

Verify details actually! I intend to carry forward changes to the whole saeculum novum (247 to 1247) with this complete reworking of the PoD and first alternate emperor. I see the relationship between the stories posted on this forum and the longer story posted on wikis as reciprocal. Posting on this forum has allowed for open discussion and criticism of my alternate history in concept and in detail while the thousand years of history that I've written already has provided the concept and details for the story posted here, which I've then molded according to feedback that I can now apply to the wiki narrative.

In using the wiki here as the new host for my timeline, yes, I'm going to re-rewrite it. If you have comments on the timeline currently in the other wiki that you wanted to share with me, I'd be happy to hear them by PM :) I'd prefer to keep discussion on the forum to what is on the forum, since I'm trying to be systematic in building up the history from the PoD through feedback and my re-interpretation of my wiki material, but I am not against hearing criticism on that content through messages outside the forum!

How is Latin going to evolve in the new version? I'm studying it right now, so I can tell you that some degradation is inevitable. The -us and -um and -u endings probably morphed into o even before the collapse of the west, and that's just one example. The full case system was only really used by the aristocrats, which due to the population growth ttl there should be LESS of, so I don't think Latin can just stay the same as in superpowers, it would take longer then otl but eventually common Latin and upper class Latin would become separate languages.

Good question! You are correct that the language of the plebs will evolve in its own direction but I see aristocratic Latin as an anchor for vulgar Latin. I don't see the language of the aristocracy changing too drastically (although I have ideas for some changes) even as vulgar Latin evolves but eventually (perhaps a millennium from 180 CE) the anchor will pull vulgar Latin back to its position. This renormalization of sorts would be dependent on national, institutionalized education so it's not even close to being on the horizon yet. Now, I'm no a linguist but I intend to do the best I can with the evolution of Latin, in light of feedback that I hope to eventually get on language.

The core concept will be an expansion of the taxation practices in Italy to the provinces (i.e. abolition of tax farming) and the renewal of the Census, as Hadrian had done without putting in place the appropriate structures for future censi.

Hhhm, what do you mean with abolished tax farming? The classic tax farming by roman equestrian publicani of direct taxes (tributum) was almost fully abolished during the early principate all over the empire. Just indirect taxes (vectigalia) were farmed partially by publicani until Diocletians tax reform, which canceled lot of indirect taxes.

Italian land according to the lex quiritum, which was almost exclusively located inside Italy, was free of direct tax (tributum soli) anyways since the mid 2nd century BC. Same with the head tax (tributum capitis), which no roman citizen even outside of Italy had to pay. So there was no tax farming of direct taxes in Italy, because there was no direct tax in Italy. The other way around, Augustus introduced some new indirect taxes for romans only, like the inheritance tax (vicesima hereditatium), in order to bolster the new aerarium militare. So the still existing part of tax farming in Italy by publicani was not abolished during the principate, it increased!

In the provinces the direct taxes were paid directly by the cities. Almost empire-wide latest since the late 1st century AD. Of course the city council used the local nobles decuriones (members of the city council) to perform this job as a munera (compulsory service). This could also be seen as tax farming by local nobles, because like the former publicani they sometimes tried to make a profit. Actually, if a tax payer took legal actions, he did it often not against the romans but against his local nobles in front of a roman judge whenever possible.

There were a lot of issues with roman taxation in the provinces. No doubt about that. But tax farming of indirect taxes by publicani was rather a minor issue in the new system of the principate. However, a more frequent and better organized census system would surely help a lot. Even if the provincials hated it like the plague. One idea might be, to make the census a more permanent process with local registration offices for land an people, like it was in Egypt. The roman emperors learned a lot from Egypt. Well, Egypt wasn't free of embezzlement, illegal exploitation and corruption, too.

The roman emperors were not interested in exortion and exploitation of local tax-payers. This just leads to embezzlement, the ruin of tax payers and even worse: revolts. The emperors were interested in wealthy tax payers in a flourishig economy, who are able to pay more temporarily, if a war situation requires it. The question is, how to implement processes and institutions, not neccesarily new kinds of taxes, in order to guarantee, that every tax payer pays exactly, what he has to pay, and all the money goes to the public treasury and not into the pockets of greedy local nobles and roman buerocrats. And all this in an ancient world, which is rather a bit corrupt by nature.

Last edited:
Now that i think about it, Rome's otl problem of being far from the frontier is still going to probably happen even with better roads due to the sheer distance. However, replacing it as capital at this time would be sacrilege! THERE SHALL BE NO SACRILEGE! so I suggest phasing out Rome as the military capital, and use it for Bureaucratical purposes (not right now, in about 150-200 years). A good military capital for Europe would be Sirmium, for Africa Carthage, and for the middle east Antioch or Dara/Nisiblis.

so I suggest phasing out Rome as the military capital, and use it for Bureaucratical purposes (not right now, in about 150-200 years). A good military capital for Europe would be Sirmium, for Africa Carthage, and for the middle east Antioch or Dara/Nisiblis.

I am not sure, if such a split is a good idea. If we look at the late empire, the ERE had a more stable government. One of many reasons were, that the emperor and his consilium was at one place, backed up by the senate (which had a different social structure than the senate of Rome) and by the plebs urbana of Constantinople. This helped the emperor a lot, to balance things out between his high buerocrats and high officers.

The emperors of the West moved the capital first to Mediolanum and afterwards to Ravenna. They lost the support of these annoying senators and this demanding plebs. That contributed to the a situation were the emperors became a puppet of their high buerocrats and officers. Of course there are other and perhaps stronger structural reasons, why this finally happened. But loosing the connection to this useless senate and plebs was a big mistake.

However, I strongly recommend to not give up Rome as the one and only capital of the central civil and military administration. Of course regional field-armies, which could lead to regional sub-centers like Sirmium, make sense. The question is, how to implement them without increasing the risk of usurpation.

I still meant the emperor staying in Rome. i'm not stupid:p. It just seems more efficient for the armies themselves to be based in Sirmium, Carthage, and Antioch (other candidates would be londinium, treverorum, and mediolanum). Those cities would have 100,000-300,000 troops each around their area (THIS IS A GUESS, i suck at exact numbers, but this is meant for troop number of the future in 200-300 years. can someone help me have better guesses?) or something, so that in case of a great invasion an entire army can defeat said invasion with as little trouble as possible. I chose those cities in particular b/c they are not all that far to get messages from Rome (dubious in Sirmium's case, but sea travel can be used to shorten the distance.).

Janus, how often will an update come here then?

Last edited: