Russian Restoration and Olga I

1917-Grand Duchess Olga, Tatiana, Anastasia and the Tsarvietch Alexis are spirited away to Denmark. The Tsar, Tsarina and Marie are killed at Ekatrinburg. Grand Duke Michael and other leading romanovs also killed as in OTL.
Whites and Reds battle in Russia
1918-Alexis is proclaimed the Tsar of all Russias. Is assassinated by Red agents while riding in Copenhagen.
The three Grand Duchesses and the grieving Dowager Empress flee to England. Grand Duke Cyril proclaims himself Tsar in Paris. Disregarding advice of the British government Grand Duchess Olga is proclaimed Tsarina of All Russias by a group of émigré’s. Her claim is recognised by her grandmother and other senior members of the Romanov family.
Kaiser Wilhelm and Emperor Karl both offer to recognise her position. Olga and Anastasia leave for Berlin.
1920- Tatiana married Edward, Prince of Wales. The British government recognises Olga, as Tsarina of All Russias. Mediates a meeting with the White government which appoints her as a constitutional ruler. Olga leaves for Russia making the proclamation of Imperial succession. (Anastasia, and then the Vlladimirovitch line, Tatiana and her heirs are excluded from succession)
1920-Olga arrives in Petrograd and joins the White forces.
1920-Edward and Tatiana leave for the US. Active backdoor lobbying by the Grand Duchesses and public sympathy get US money to back the Whites.
1921- Lenin dies in the middle of the civil war, with Trotsky as successor. Olga issues a death warrant for all Soviet leaders.
1922- Tatiana gives birth to Alexandra of Wales. White armies begin to gain control.
1923- Olga marries Prince Andrew of Greece in a spectacular wedding.
1924- Olga gives birth to Tsarvietch Nicholas. Tatiana gives birth to Marie of Wales

Lots more work needs to be done. What would the political impact of the above be. Could this for instance see the Hohenzollern monarchy remaining? What changes would White Russia as a constitutional monarchy cause in the 1930s. I am assuming a Bolshevik insurgency would continue against the state....

Last edited:
The famous Pauline law declared by Emperor Paul (who was so bugged at his mother's rule) barred women or succession through a female line. The only exception being if there are no immediate male heirs.

The Tsar and both his brothers were killed by Bolsheviks. He had two sisters, Xenia and Olga, neither of whom had any progeny. A lot of his immediate uncles were disqualified for various reasons including morganitic marriages. The closest male heirs would have to go back four Emperors. I am guessing either the Tsar revokes the Pauline law between 1900-1917 or alternatively Alexis is persuaded to do the same after his escape from Russia.

Incidentally, the escape plan actually happened and the three Grand Duchesses and Alexis had managed to get some distance away before being recaptured.

I can see a few problems with this ATL.

1. The Great War.

2. "The three Grand Duchesses and the grieving Dowager Empress flee to England. Grand Duke Cyril proclaims himself Tsar in Paris. Disregarding advice of the British government Grand Duchess Olga is proclaimed Tsarina of All Russias by a group of émigré’s. Her claim is recognised by her grandmother and other senior members of the Romanov family. Kaiser Wilhelm and Emperor Karl both offer to recognise her position. Olga and Anastasia leave for Berlin."

Now this isn't going to happen on a number of reasons. First off, Olga is in England and some how she gets to leave for Berlin? In the middle of the Great War?! The British will probably place the Romanovs on something close to 'house arrest', because of the state of politics and affairs with Russia. How are they going to travel to Germany to begin with? Any recognition of her by the Central Powers will not draw recognition by the Allied Powers. Why is Olga suddenly turning to the same nation which is defeating her nation and shipped in Lenin?

3. I thought Petrograd was in Bolshevik hands by 1920. Wasn't the Whites concentrated more in southern Ukraine around Sevastopol?

4. The Whites have too much infighting between themselves, and not all of them were pro-Monarchy.

5. There were sizeable problems in OTL for the British Goverment to contemplate having the exiled Tsar in the country, so even if Olga was Tsarina in exile it could still be politically embarassing. Because of Nicholas' legacy of being fairly repressive I doubt any marriage between the Romanov Family and the Royal Family will be coming any time soon. Such a 'dynastical' marriage would have to agreed to by the Cabinet.

6. Don't see the Hohenzollerns being retained at this late of date.

David S Poepoe said:
3. I thought Petrograd was in Bolshevik hands by 1920. Wasn't the Whites concentrated more in southern Ukraine around Sevastopol?

4. The Whites have too much infighting between themselves, and not all of them were pro-Monarchy.

Yeah. For pretty much all of the RCW (about 1917-1921), Petrograd was firmly in Bolshevik hands. There was an attempt by Gereral Yudenich and the Estonians to take Petrograd, but it was half-hearted and quickly defeated.

If you're looking for a suitable base of operations, the Crimean front is probably your best bet. Of course, the royals would still have to fight the leadership issue it out with Denekin and the Volunteer Army.

Incidentally, the Whites also had a major front in Siberia, but it probably would be too much of a hassle to get someone in there.

I really like this. If you avoid the Great War, and keep the Hohenzollerns, Habsburgs, and Romanov's in rule, it would be awsome. Say, a different ultamatum to Serbia, or Russia, Germany, and Austria stay in a three emperor's league.

Aussey said:
I really like this. If you avoid the Great War, and keep the Hohenzollerns, Habsburgs, and Romanov's in rule, it would be awsome. Say, a different ultamatum to Serbia, or Russia, Germany, and Austria stay in a three emperor's league.
(psst- The Great War happened in 1914- His TL started in 1917)