Russian AH TV-series "Fandorin" a.k.a. a great novel gets a strange adaptation

Fandorin: Episodes 1 to 3, of 6
Title: "Fandorin: Azazel"
Setting: Present day Russian Empire, which never fell
Format: TV mini-series
Length: Six 47-minute-long episodes, with four aired so far. I watched three.
Language: Russian, so far
Release date: January, 2023
Availability: Streaming platforms
POD(s): 1917 (allegedly, but more on that below)
The length of this review: approximately 11 minutes of reading

"Fandorin" is a curious but often frustrating and amateurish TV mini-series, with an impressive pedigree.

A Bit of Background:

In the turbulent mid '90s Russia, Boris Akunin's wife came to him with a stray observation about books. She loved reading trashy detective novels, but was embarrassed to be seen reading them on the metro. She joked about putting fake classy black and white covers on her detective books to fool other people on the subway she was reading quality literature and lamented the state of native detective fiction. Akunin saw an opportunity. Russian literature does not do middle-brow and discourages such thinking. One either writes high-minded art or shovels low-brow trash to please the filthy masses. A third is not given. Akunin was intrigued by the challenge of writing a high-brow detective novel which is not afraid to entertain and delve into decidedly low-brow territory as well. Enter Fandorin.

Fandorin is a hero of a series of Akunin historical fiction detective novels, set in late 19th and early 20th century Russian Empire. Fandorin is an impoverished orphan of an ancient noble family, who in 1876 at the age of 20 is able to use his wits and his name to land a low-paying, low-ranking job at the newly created Criminal Investigation Division of the Moscow police. There, he is assigned to a mundane case of a suicide, but discovers all is not as it appears and uncovers a nefarious plot involving international politics and far reaching conspiracies. The debut novel was an immediate hit.

Most of the Fandorin novels have been translated into English, and are a delight. Akunin immerses the reader into a world gone by, while telling a rollicking story. To keep things fresh, Akunin challenged himself by dedicating each novel to a different type of detective genre - a locked room mystery, silver fork high society tale, conspiracy, hunting a serial killer, and many others. The novels occur over a period of thirty years, and Fandorin ages and matures as he goes along his adventures, while staying true to his honest and honorable ways. The books and the style of writing have been compared by some English language reviewers to Thackeray and Caleb Carr. Thackeray I can see, but on his best day Caleb Carr cannot write as well as Akunin on his worst. Carr's writing is often mawkish and pointlessly dense as he wants to show you he has done the research, often at the expense of the pace of the novel. Akunin keeps things humming along, showing he has done the research where necessary but never bogging down the novel just to prove he visited the library.

Several adaptations of the novels have been made, for the Russian big screen and small, with various degrees of success. The first was the least ambitious, called "Azazel" (2002) and not entirely closely following the events of the first novel, with a clearly limited budget. In 2005, a much better adaptation of the "Turkish Gambit" (2005) was made as a film, and then re-edited into a TV-series with unaired and deleted footage hastily inserted (a common practice in Russia). Set during the Russo-Turkish War, it finds Fandorin as originally a Russian volunteer fighting with the Serbs, who finds a plot to destabilize Russian position even as he grows disillusioned by the conflict. It is a good read, and a decent watch, but it is a not a great representative of the overall type of a Fandorin novel, because it is a two-hander, pairing Fandorin up with a naïve but perky female college student who goes to the front to support her bland boyfriend and stumbles into the plot.

However, "Turkish Gambit" is "Citizen Kane" compared to the last big-budget adaptation of Fandorin's tales - "The State Councilor" (2005), in which Fandorin is relegated to second-tier status due to the film being hijacked by the massive ego of Nikita Mikhalkov, who takes over the film as a preening bad guy, eats up most of the screen time, overacts and gives you second-hand embarrassment at the clown antics. Made at the high point of Mikhalkov's prestige and powers, due to his close relationship with Putin, no one was able to rein him in and it shows. Allegedly, the film was a critical hit and its Wikipedia page boasts it got no negative reviews in Russia, and it is said to have made back its budget and more. And yet, no Fandorin film was made since, so draw your own conclusions, gentle reader.

The TV Mini-Series Announcement:

In late 2020, a mid-major Russian TV production company announced plans to make a TV mini-series about Fandorin, set in modern times. This was greeted with a bit of confusion, since Fandorin novels are historical detective fiction. The producers, anxious to stop criticism and eager to compare themselves to successful TV adaptation from the rotten West, cited BBC's "Sherlock" as their inspiration. But, this too, confused people. Sherlock Holmes had been placed in contemporary setting many, many times, and lends himself easily to it, because at its heart Sherlock is a detective story, which its author happen to set in Victorian London, because the author was living in Victorian London at the time. Sherlock tales are now historical fiction, but Holmes was a contemporary character in a contemporary setting, but just happened to have been published over a hundred years ago. Fandorin's tales were written in the late 1990s and deliberately set in the 1870s. They were always intended to be historical fiction. But, given the track record of Russian TV companies announcing projects which never come to fruition, not much more was made of this. Alas, there was one more twist in the story, and the reason I write about it on this fine Board.

Fandorin in AH Russia:

As the Fandorin show was being developed, a new title for it temporarily emerged: Empire. This was the first hint the show would be AH. And the rumor was confirmed by the producers, who kept most things under wraps for fear of blowback. So much so, they refused to name the actor who would be playing the lead character. Details sparsely emerged over the Summer and Fall of 2022, usually as one liners without any context. The show was to be set in a contemporary Russian Empire, because the Revolution of 1917 failed. This too raised questions, because as everyone reading this already knows, there were actually two revolutions in 1917, the February one, and the Bolshevik. The producers did not clarify, but later on stated the Bolsheviks failed. Having watched the show, I cannot tell you whether the February Revolution failed, succeeded or ever occurred. No details are given.

Much was made of the series taking place in Petrograd, for two reasons. The first, for AH nerdlingers such as us, it would indicate World War One had occurred, though once again, it was not made clear whether it had or had not happened, as there is no reference to Germany on the show, as near as I can tell. But the inclusion of Petrograd did make a few people annoyed as the whole point of the first novel is Fandorin fumbling about Moscow, which was then not the capital of the Russian Empire. Moscow in 1876 was for all intents a powerful but provincial town. Fandorin is in a relative backwater, which is why he is able to get a job in the police. Putting Fandorin in Petrograd, the clearly stated capital of the Russian Empire alters not only the plot but also requires some explanation as to how a young man with few connections can get to the glittering metropolis. This is also hand-waved in the series. Most of the casting news focused on secondary characters, some of whom did not exist in the Fandorin novels, due to the changed setting. Four in particular stood out, and indicated there would be shenanigans afoot.

Maxim Matveyev was cast as Tsar Nicholas III, the not-quite autocratic ruler of Russia, who was said to be a decent man overwhelmed by his role and who has tumbled into a not quite an affair with a singer with a dark secret. Matveyev, a leading man typically cast as the hunky love interest of a sweet gal in the big city, looked quite odd in the still photos provided of him in a silly uniform. In interviews released in the Fall of 2022, Matveyev revealed to make him appear more schlubby, the producers had given him a fake paunch and a balding wig. This is akin to hiring Channing Tatum and having him wear a fat suit. You admire the dedication to the silliness, even as you question the motives.

Stychkin was cast as Prime Minister Orlov, the head of the elected Russian government, though it was not clear what role the PM plays and where his powers end and the Tsar's begin. It would appear Russia is now a constitutional monarchy, but having watched four episodes I am still confused as to how it works, and the producers and the writers clearly do not care. The Tsar is in near total command of the armed forces, but just how absolute is his rule is never made clear. Still, much is made of the PM and the show lists him as one of eight main characters. So, maybe he has more to do in future episodes.

1245075.png

The PM taking a selfie with the Tsar.

Career character actor who specializes in playing unpleasant twerps Igor Chernevich was cast as the Tsar's uncle, and he is an unpleasant twerp, who is scheming and hates Orlov. Though the show is as yet to reveal whether the uncle or the PM are ultimately right in the very, very, very vague geopolitical advice they give the Tsar, with the PM arguing not engaging in the affairs of sovereign states in the Middle East, and the uncle being gung-ho to go guns blazing. Normally, in our degenerate hemisphere, the uncle would be the bad guy and the PM the voice of reason. But this is a Russian show, so it could turn out the PM was the bad guy all along and the Tsar should have listened to his uncle. Stay tuned.

Then came the weirdest piece of casting, a relative unknown was given the role of Victor Ulyanov, an activist-painter provocateur who leads a faction of street rebels. And if the name tugs at a memory, Ulyanov is the birth surname of Lenin, and the show spends an awkward scene explaining Victor is his great-grandson, though ITTL, Lenin fled to Argentina after 1917, where he is buried in a mausoleum.

No, no further details are given, but one of the Senators at a fancy dress party hits up (and hits upon) Fandorin by telling him these facts as a droll story to dump strange exposition that will not in any way impact the rest of the plot of the show. It is quite odd and it is never explained. We are just meant to hiss at Victor, because of his rabble rousing roots and because instead of being happy to be in the glorious, sprawling and stable, so very, very stable, Russian Empire, he goes out and vandalizes symbols of Tsarist authority with spray paint and leads misguided impressionable youth to follow him and his no-goodnik ideas. Naturally he is an easily manipulated dolt with high pretensions, because that is how you write any character who protests the government in any shape way or form in Russia.

As to the rest of the cast, it is a decidedly mixed bag, with some stunt casting done to get people talking. A comedy actress was cast just to participate in a bizarre scene in the first episode where she talks to Fandorin about a crime she witnessed from her bedroom window, while standing in the nude with a flute of champagne, and it is meant to be funny that Fandorin looks her only in the eyes. One reviewer called the scene degrading and another called it hooliganism, which is such a glorious Soviet word to describe a work of fiction, I shall be using it in the future. A government arppoved blogger was cast as a news-caster, and delivers her lines with the emotional range of a broken toaster oven. And as for Fandorin himself, the producers claimed to have searched high and low all over the country, but wouldn't you know it they hired a guy from a Moscow theater to which they have connections. He portrays Fandorin as a fumbling young man, which is only true for the first half of the novel which forms the basis for the TV series. However, while he tends to over-emote, he is not the worst thing in the series. By far the biggest miss was Fandorin's perfunctory love interest.

Mila Ershova is said to be popular, by her PR team, and has a legion of fans, per her site. She also cannot act and thinks hand wringing is emoting. I was stunned to learn she has theatrical background and further floored to learn she did a year-long course at the prestigious Moscow Art Academy Theatre, which has existed since 1898 and was founded by Stanislavski, as in Stanislavski-method Stanislavski. Furthermore, the course she took was taught by the late great Dmitriy Brusnikin, who is considered an actor's-actor. How someone could do that sort of high-level training and come off looking like an utter amateur is rather extraordinary. Imagine someone who had been Meryl Streep's understudy flailing her limbs about and talking like a six year old who misses her candy in a romantic comedy. Yes, that bad.

Having poo-pooed the acting, casting and the writing, I do wish to talk about what actually works for the show, despite the writing: the setting. The more I see of the Petrograd that never was, the more of it I wish to see, despite budget limitations. CGI'ed skyscrapers dominate the skyline of an imaginary city.

Fandorin-Azazel-2023-S1-E1-9-900x506.jpg

2023 Petrograd city center, as seen from the bow of an aqua-bus.

Russian policemen walk about with tablets which are connected by wi-fi to the Russian imperial databases and are able to seamlessly review security cam footage from around the city, because naturally a modern day Russian Empire would have CCTV everywhere. When investigating the apparent suicide of a student in St. Petersburg's Summer Garden (a real and gorgeous location which lends itself easily to cinematography), Fandorin is able to use multiple angles of security cameras to reconstruct the events, and scans the faces of people present. There is a charming boxy police-robot, which rides about on four wheels in the park, and which are sprinkled throughout the capital, able to cite citizens for petty crimes, warn of disorder and whose cameras are connected to central police database allowing policemen to review footage. Orwellian, yes, but ringing true all the same. And in a neat touch showing someone was paying attention to something, since the Revolution never occurred, the Russian alphabet was never altered by the Soviets. Thus, when young Fandorin texts with his perfunctory love interest, their texts are spelled out in old timey Russian with all the requisite hard-signs and archaic grammatical rules which made me smile. There is something curious about seeing a broadcast from the imperial Russian news network, featuring old-timey policeman interviewing modern attired civilians while a chyron in archaic language runs at the bottom of the screen.

Fandorin-Azazel-2023-S1-E1-4-900x506.jpg

The producers received permission to film in more than a few scenic St. Petersburg locations. In addition to the aforementioned Summer Garden, the palace intrigue scenes are filmed at the Tsar's Village on the outskirts of St. Petersburg, and several official scenes with the Tsar announcing and rewarding his servants are set in gorgeous ballrooms from the era of Catherine the Great. And having seen what this show does with CGI, and having visited some of those ballrooms and hallways, I can tell you those scenes were shot on location and look gorgeous. Other neat details include a Russian DeLorean, and whoever designed Fandorin's suitably tiny apartment deserves a raise. The lingering shot of Fandorin wearily trooping to his apartment through a long, under-lit hallway dotted with doors to hundreds of identical shitty apartments is a nice touch. And, said apartment is logically located far from the city center of the capital of the Empire, forcing Fandorin to do a long commute to work (nice to see the Russian Empire and our CEOs hold similar views on tele-commuting in 2023). There is a monorail of course, because monorails are to Russian sci-fi what airships are to Western AH, but it being Petrograd, there are plenty of rivers, so Fandorin takes a boat-bus to and from his awful apartment, and then walks under the pylons holding up the track of said monorail, through an ill-kempt field of tall wild grass. Little things such as these point to care and thought, only to viciously undercut by someone casually saying Lenin is in a mausoleum in Argentina and it never being brought up again.

As to the plot? It meanders and is not worth discussing. As I said, the writing is weak, with repeated attempts at humor at the level of the recent Night Court reboot, with jokes landing flat, men in dresses equaling high comedy, and talking down to the audience, to make sure the distracted rube understands things. Thus, the current tsar is Nicholas III, because most Russians have heard of Tsar Nicholas II. The leader of the rabble rousers has to be someone related to Lenin (despite OTL Lenin having never fathered children). And so on. And yet, I am watching this show, because the visuals are rewarding. From episode two onwards, I was fast-forwarding through every single scene involving perfunctory love interest and Fandorin, and the domestic scenes involving the Tsar and his unhappy and horny wife. But, each time a monorail hove into view, or I caught a glimpse of a boat, I'd slow down. Heck, each time people texted, I'd pause and admire the juxtaposition of Russian letters not seen in ages on a smart phone screen, with people forming complete sentences using them. Whenever a new pompous official in an oddball uniform appeared, I'd pause to examine the medals and epaulets. The Russian DeLorean appears in a few scenes, but each time it does, I take note, though let's be clear, a car with gull wing doors would be a nightmare in Russia in general and in St. Petersburg in particular, because moisture (such as rain and snow) and gull wing doors equal a wet cabin. Even the clunky tablets and the cheap police-robots are fun. There is even a charmingly bizarre Minority Report inspired master-computer which can predict crimes before they occur based on, uh, something. But you have to take deep breaths when ArtHouse Lenin gifts his scar to a young woman to impress her (please don't ask) and be ready to hit the forward-ten-seconds button each time perfunctory love interest opens her mouth.

Only four episodes aired thus far, and it may all turn out awful (or even more awful) in the end, but for now, I am watching and I am amused, though probably for all the wrong reasons.

Thank you for reading.

That sounds like an amusingly cringey show. I'm wondering how the actress playing the love interest got cast (is it gauche to just blame corruption?).

Fandorin: Episodes 4 & 5, of 6
Update, it gets worse. Like, way worse.

One thing I noticed even in the three episodes I initially watched is how the pace of the show feels at once languid when it comes to two different romantic subplots and at once rushed when it comes to the actual plot as it was in the novel, and all this with extra characters. It gallops through the source material, and I was trying to figure out how they will stretch novel considering where they were around episode three of six vs. what page they were on in the novel, plot wise. Well, now I know. They wrapped the novel's plot by end of episode four, and kicked into high gear on a sub-plot which now is the major plot.

Also, it does appear the PM is shifty, and the twerpy uncle was right all along to be gung-ho.

There are several interesting touches, which show flashes of curiosity, but raise more questions than answers:

There is a street honoring Emperor Hirohito in Petrograd. Does that mean WW2 never happened? Are Japan and Russia allies? Don't know.

In one of the episodes, there is a three minute scene of dudes in sauna who get killed by the heat of the sauna. I had to rewind this twice, because the characters killed are only addressed by their first names, which made me think I missed these characters in previous episodes. I did not. They were just randos who showed up to get killed. However, later dialogue establishes the man killed was the Polish Foreign Minister. Does that mean the Russian Empire granted Poland independence? Did Poland win independence due to the Great War, which may or may not have happened? Don't know.

One of the aqua buses stops is White Guard Alley, this is a play on an actual stop in many cities in Russia even today called Red Army Way. Does that mean there was a Russian Civil War? Presumably yes, since there was no White Guard prior to the RSW, but the coup in 1917 failed per the title card at the start of episode one. So, erm, was there a follow up minor Civil War? Did the defenders of the monarchy call themselves White Guard as they were putting down the Reds ITTL? Don't know.

At one point, the Tsar's pathetic love affair with a mysterious singer becomes public news when he sneaks out of a private movie theater (closed down for the day just for him) and walks the streets of St. Pete with his beloved. They then take an aqua bus (the show freaking loves aqua buses). People recognize the guy on their currency and whose portrait hangs in every government building and ask to take pictures, which the Tsar indulges in, because he's having fun. He even does selfies and funny faces. Naturally the bodyguards track down the Tsar, and a distraught PM tells the Tsar that his behavior is putting the monarchy at risk and warns of an example of a neighboring nation where the government was overthrown for such shenanigans. What neighboring state? Don't know.

The Tsar's pathetic love affair and the growing situation in the Middle East erodes his authority and the PM warns the Tsar that he is losing the favor of the opposition party and even the PM's. The opposition party is called the Monarchist Party. The PM's is not. Now, it would not be the first time that there emerge a more royal than the royal political party in Europe. Charles II had this trouble in England, and one of the restored Bourbons did as well. But the whole thing feels clumsy. What is the power of the Duma? Can they remove the Tsar? Can the pressure of no-confidence force a resignation? Has this been done before? Don't know.

Someone went to the trouble of doing the math on how many tsars Russia would have between Nicky II and Nicky III, and I'm all for it. At one point, a tired, lovelorn and utterly pathetic Nicky III shuffles through a long hallway in shorts, T-, socks and sneakers. He passes the portraits of his predecessors. And after Nicky II, ITTL, a woman was a ruler. Which indicates something very, very funky went on after Nicky II died, because Russian Pauline Laws regulation succession are so weighted towards the men it would mean not only Nicky II had died without a suitable male heir, but all his brothers and his uncles were disqualified or died. Given how many brothers Nicky had and how many sons his granddad sired, that's damn near impossible. And I'd loved to find out how it happened, because I too wrote a Russian Empire TL and had to figure out the Russian succession for it. Who was this woman? Don't know.

The Middle East situation is getting worse and worse. Initially, the Tsar listened to his uncle and sent in a humanitarian force to assist. However, as the Tsar goes to watch a concert of his favorite singer, news breaks that there are massive gun fights and that the Russian forces are shelling cities. The horrified Tsar asks his uncle what happened. The uncle says he followed the Tsar's orders to the letter and totally did not barge into a foreign nation and just started blasting and his officers would never ever do such a thing either. It must have been darn foreigners provoking the Russian army into a fight. The Tsar does not take this at face value, and we are meant to clearly think he should have. Sad music plays as the uncle puts in his resignation, no longer having the confidence of his nephew. What is not explained is who runs the military? Is the military a law unto themselves, answerable only to the Tsar and his generals? Is the military under civilian control, with the generals executing the policy of the government? Don't know.

Stuff Which Got Worse:

Acting. Everyone under the age of 35 and over the age of 60 on this show is struggling. You can tell the veterans from the newcomers very easily. The twerpy uncle who isn't a twerp at all is played by an actor who can sleepwalk through this affair without much trouble. Matveyev, the hunky actor who put on a fake paunch and a balding wig, is clearly having fun with his pathetic Tsar, even if the audience is not. Even the PM is doing well. Then we cut to Fandorin twitching to show emotions. The terrible, no good love interest has gotten worse. Her boyfriend is terrible. The mysterious singer is not that mysterious and is actually quite bland. And Fandorin's new boss is so clearly a bad guy that it's not even a spoiler for me to point this out. In the novel, he thoroughly shapes Fandorin's character and leaves a mark. On this show, he is a skid mark.

The plot. It is very, very convoluted. And we are way past the book. Also, Fandorin's father committed suicide due to gambling debts, which is a giant part of his character in the novels. However, on the show it is looking to not be a suicide, but rather him uncovering a nefarious plot and being killed for it. And this plot is looking to involve a lot of people which should not care about Fandorin's dad. I am reasonably sure that I am going to find out that Fandorin's dad was actually a Russian secret policeman and an honorable man who feigned being a degenerate gambler by going deep undercover to uncover the deep state. Like, I'd bet money on it.

Stuff I Still Like:

As the pathetic Tsar sits on a couch in the darkness, he plays a video game. At first it sounds like a Russian language FIFA game. It's not. It's lapta - which is a bat and ball game unique to Russia. Since the Russia of this world is a first rate power, its national pastimes get video game adaptations. Neat touch. However, due to budget limitations, we only get a few videos of it happening as the Tsar plays and loses, and the Tsar plays with a PS5 controller. I mean it. It's a literal PS5 controller. They did not even try to reskin it.

In the novel, the evil org behind a master evil plan is called Azazel and it hires killers to carry out their tasks. It's most efficient hired hand is a man with stark white eyes. In the show, every killer in Azazel has white eyes, because the white eyes are actually an effect of unique contact lenses issued to Azazel assassins which allow video recording of their kills, which can then be reviewed by the organization to confirm things were done properly. The lens footage can stream to a cloud, accessible by other viewers with the same lenses and it can also be backed up as its recorded to be seen later. It's a genuinely neat touch, and a good visual. Fandorin is looking for a killer with white eyes, and then stumbles onto a nest of them and has the same "oh shit" look on his face as all of us would have in that situation, as the killers calmly put in the lenses to go assassinate him.

You have Russian government officials in 19th century uniforms whizzing about in sports cars, creating a jarring visual which I spoke about earlier.

The Petrograd That Never Was remains tantalizing.

One of the episodes features Fandorin giving a remote viewing of his tiny apartment to his love interest and the apartment has tech touches which are fun to see (the inbuilt monitor and laptop fold into a desk, which then folds into a bed).

The Russian jails are a blend of imperial shit-holes and Soviet hell-holes, and are realistically realized.

The telecommunication centers are a mix of modern and ancient, with wires running everywhere and there still being a switchboard. This is partly due to government oversight, with censors and spies everywhere, and due to uneven tech application. Anyone who has spent any amount of time working IT for large companies can easily relate to the mix of modern and ancient. When 2020 hit and hit hard, lots of people found themselves unemployed and it was revealed more than a few states on the US East Coast had unemployment tracking systems from the 1970s and were being overwhelmed, resulting in a demand for engineers who knew the coding language of yesteryear. It makes perfect sense for there to be wi-fi, cloud and contact lenses capable of recording video footage and there needing to be a switchboard to connect Petrograd with Moscow because Russia is a giant country and updating hardware for a large nation (or company) is very, very hard.

For better and for worse, this is an AH show and we do not get many of those, so I will watch this to its conclusion and then probably regret it.

Sigh.

That sounds like an amusingly cringey show. I'm wondering how the actress playing the love interest got cast (is it gauche to just blame corruption?).
I wish it was just corruption! It's actually a bit sadder than that, there exists a sub-strata of Russian TV shows on minor channels which feature soap opera nonsense aimed at specific audiences. The actress is part of an outfit that specializes in modern soaps aimed at twenty-somethings who put this stuff on in the background as they fiddle about with their smart phones. On those shows, she typically plays a character from her background and so it does not take a toll on her acting range to play a young woman who finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, or her roommate has betrayed her or she did not get the promotion and etc. Little, minor things.

This show dumps her into AH and asks her to play a pampered daughter of ancient nobility whose entire life is plotted out for her, so she sees Fandorin as a way out of it and letting her freak flag fly. However, because this is Russian TV, young people should only let their freak flag fly in a positive way to society. She has no idea what she is meant to play and goes about overplaying it.

Here, get used to this image. This is her in like a dozen scenes, lots of tears:

56d5b2beb810f831aebf45b620941c2002885ab6_1453_969.jpg

Oh my god I love that they have the old Russian! Very interesting.

Reading your review has disinclined me from watching, but I enjoyed reading it all the same.

From the sound of it, the plot and acting SUCKS!

But the world they're trying to build is fascinating.

As for the woman in the line up... maybe Nicky's Wife acted as Regent for Alexei until he came of age with Nicky dying young.

Fandorin: Shots of AH Russia, Too
It occurred to me I never posted ArtHouse Lenin's pic. Well, here we are. He's at at his Art Commune, "studying," by lying in a tub full of ice in the backyard of a decrepit building, hanging out with a skinny white woman in coveralls with corn-rows who goes by "Trash," because everyone with names that are in American-English are inherently evil:

FD1SXfzynA8MDOsa2bJu7g.jpg

Shot on location in Peterhof, the ballroom scenes are few, but always pleasing to the eye. The fellow with the stache is a hussar in the Imperial Life-Guard, who runs an underground casino, is sometimes an adjutant of the Tsar's uncle, and is also the lover of the mysterious singer and a long time pal of Lenin. Which does beg the question, how was such a creature allowed to be in the Imperial Life-Guard, with access to the Emperor? Don't know.

afoPcxFipNyZ1QV2b7lUPQ.jpg

Texting, in old timey-Russian. This made me smile, as I originally stated:

5SaG7k2pZeYs48JFY75hdQ.jpg

Oh my god I love that they have the old Russian! Very interesting.

Reading your review has disinclined me from watching, but I enjoyed reading it all the same.

Excellent, this is a painful watch, because the main plot line and the sub-plot are of no interest to me and I am only watching for neat moments.

From the sound of it, the plot and acting SUCKS!

But the world they're trying to build is fascinating.

As for the woman in the line up... maybe Nicky's Wife acted as Regent for Alexei until he came of age with Nicky dying young.

Possible. It also occurred to me she could be the oldest daughter of Nicky II - Olga, because in the show one of the people is awarded the Order of Olga the Great. Such a nickname is typically only given to rulers in Russian history. Naturally, this makes little sense, as Olga being the oldest daughter of Nicky II could only inherit if something went drastically wrong as I mentioned earlier. But if there was some kind of catastrophic event which took out all the sons of Alexander III and Alexander II, and the sons of the junior sons of Alexander III and the junior grand-sons of Alexander II, I can see someone opting for Olga as the compromise choice while everyone sorts things out. But, Pauline Laws were specifically designed to avoid such a thing.

I looked up the writing credits of the people behind this, and it is a brother writing duo. Now, the older brother has written some action dreck, but the younger brother has only done student films and shorts. Perhaps the younger brother is adding little touches here and there, or perhaps there is an associate producer who is sneaking in stuff that makes sense to them? Don't know.

Dang, you guys have shitty Netflix-like adaptations of popular novels in Moscow too? Some things really are universal.

The small worldbuilding touches you describe are actually kind of cool--the kind of small notes that show somebody is putting their all into their job. And a detective story is an excellent way to introduce a speculative-fiction setting...at least in theory. Can't help but think fans of the novels are pissed that this is the way they went with the property. And from what you describe, the politics are about as ham-fisted as anything that's come out of Putin Studios for the past decade.

Re: Nicholas III and his singer romance. I seem to recall, though I can't place who, that one of the late Tsars had a scandalous romance with a ballerina. Is this a reference to that at all, you think?

Texting, in old timey-Russian. This made me smile, as I originally stated:
Looks silly - given that there are errors there, and that the spelling reform project was discussed even before the February Revolution. So this is another “crunch of the French Bun” syndrome - as they say in my country.

Dang, you guys have shitty Netflix-like adaptations of popular novels in Moscow too? Some things really are universal.
We also have our own Netflix analogues - for example, Okko, which has just started filming its own shows. Essentially the same garbage.
Re: Nicholas III and his singer romance. I seem to recall, though I can't place who, that one of the late Tsars had a scandalous romance with a ballerina. Is this a reference to that at all, you think?
Nicholas II is suspected of having an affair with Matilda Kshesinskaya (who gave birth to a son, Vladimir, from Prince Sergei Mikhailovich .... or from Andrei Vladimirovich - many ballerinas became famous due to their stormy personal lives).
On the basis of this story, the film Matilda was filmed - which, because of its plot, caused anger from Orthodox conservative circles. After the release, they began to say that it was the best PR company in general for a mediocre film.

Fandorin: Episode 6, of 6
And so it ends, not with a bang, but awful cringe and a blunt force political message that democracy is evil and you all need a tsar.

The Plot & the Acting, Suffer:

Towards the end of the fifth episode, a scene occurred which was so hilariously inept, I laughed. But it was meant to be taken seriously. The Tsar, still reeling from his failed-romance and strained-relations with the lady wife, has to also deal with a failed situation in the unnamed Middle Eastern country, where something has or has not happened, depending on which episode you watch. As he is driven around the block by his driver, in circles, coming to grip with what is happening, he spots a group of protestors, less than two dozen, all young, misguided, and with piercings and foreign clothes. He tells the driver to stop the car and walks up to them, to have a chat.

I was hoping for the surrealism and hilarity of Nixon at the Monument, but instead the Tsar explains to the young misguided people what he does and why he does it, and the awesome responsibility and crushing burden he has taken on by being their absolute ruler, and all the sacrifices he has made to do this job he neither asked for, nor wanted. Soft music plays, of the kind when a 1980s sitcom dad reassures a worried teenager, and the protestors nod along and then applaud, and a few even try to hug him. I howled. But the intent was meant to be inspirational. If only you, the filthy college students and free-thinkers, would stop and appreciate one man becoming your ruler. If only you would be grateful for the stable tyranny he brings.

Then came more plot, and my confusion. This is a six-episode series, and I can tell you I had no idea what was going to happen and where the whole thing was going twenty minutes into the forty-seven minute long sixth episode. Not because it was sophisticated, but because it made no sense, with not one but three red herrings, and three different flash-forwards followed by a snapped return to the present.

Despite this, scenes appeared which ate up playing time and accomplished nothing, advanced no character and had no relevancy to the plot.

Fandorin, newly promoted to the title of State Councilor (this did not happen in the books until much, much later in his career) is congratulated by the Prime Minister and the police officials for uncovering the nefarious plot, but he knows there is more to it. To throw him off their scent, the terrorist organization Azazel orders the mysterious singer lady to commit suicide and stage the suicide to look exactly like the suicide of Fandorin's father when Fandorin was a child. Degree of difficulty, they did not want to cast a child, so the same actor has to play a younger version of himself dickety years ago. It does not work.

Furthermore, the mysterious singer lady does kill herself, which undermines the season-long suspicion Fandorin has that his father did not kill himself but was killed and raises the possibility Fandorin's father was made to kill himself, which muddles the issue. And what most obviously does not work is that Fandorin is meant to have an emotional break down of a young man who is confronted with a horrible memory replayed and make him think he dooms all those who come close to him. Except, the mysterious singer lady was never that close to Fandorin, which is actually noted by Fandorin who monologues that nonetheless he felt she was close. Erm, no, but okay, but still no. Also, an emotional breakdown is hard to portray, so the actor portraying Fandorin never tries. He just goes out and gets drunk with the mysterious singer's other-other-other lover, who takes him out to a seedy bar and listens to torch songs and monologues as Fandorin passes out. Who needs to portray profound emotion, when you can just act drunk and act sleepy!

All this is to establish Fandorin is still hungover when he realizes something nefarious is afoot and deduces that ArtHouse Lenin and his droogs are going to try to kidnap the Tsar at the morgue where the mysterious singer lady's body is present. There is literally no clue or indication this is going to happen, so Fandorin just pulls it out of thin air and we are meant to go along. Adam West's Batman solved Riddler's riddles with more deliberation.

Throughout this, Fandorin's perfunctory love interest acts as a near parody of Poochie in Simpsons, with Fandorin sharing his thoughts with her on his police investigation because she needs screen time, and when she is off screen, he has to call her to talk to her, because she needs screen time and she also visits an orphanage, because she needs screen time. And she has to help Fandorin think on a stairwell, because she needs screen time. Woof.

Fandorin finagles his way to a top level meeting and finds the police official who is now his newest boss. The newest boss by reason of plot necessity only showed up the previous episode, so we are meant to take it on faith the two have established good working relations, because Fandorin gets him to get a meeting with the PM to explain to him the kidnap-attempt. All this, during a backdrop of a terrorist act on Russian soil, which everyone understands to mean was the act of the denizens of the Middle Eastern nations, though the PM has his doubts. The Tsar is visiting the morgue, which no one knew, and only Fandorin deduced, so Fandorin's Boss and the PM race across with some bodyguards to ward off the kidnap attempt.

Instead, the group finds the Tsar having a private moment with his wife. Fandorin thinks something is still afoot, but his Newest Boss and PM think Fandorin is hungover, or still drunk and he interrupted the Tsar's privacy for nothing. This is meant to be seen as Fandorin's disgrace, but seems bizarre. Why is Fandorin's overzealousness seen as bad thing, given there are terrorist acts happening? Don't know. Why is Fandorin's Newest Boss, who literally praised him and thinks he has the makings of a great detective immediately turns on him and all but states no one will trust Fandorin again? Don't know.

Nothing makes sense.

Then, shenanigans! We get a flash-back, following a flash-forward, because some people discovered Tarrantino at a tender age, and it turns out Fandorin was right! ArtHouse Lenin and his droogs were in the morgue, but not to kidnap, but rather to take the Tsar's wife temporarily hostage and put a bracelet on her wrist which has an explosive that will go off, unless the Tsar renounces the throne and calls for the most evil thing they can think of - democratic elections. The Tsar, who has a conference scheduled already to announce his vague plans for the vagues Middle Eastern country, goes along, nearly breaking down in tears as he gives up the throne. We get shots of people across Russia watching the TV and weeping at the thought of no longer being ruled by an absolute ruler with little to no oversight and instead having to lower themselves to actually voting for and electing their leader. The shame. The horrible, Alien acid burning shame of it all.

As the Tsar finishes his speech, his wife's bracelet... falls off, dramatically and in slow-motion. ArtHouse Lenin won.

Two months later, Russian people prepare for elections.

Hang on, wait, what and why?

The Tsar did not summon police and tell them to hunt down the terrorists and then explained away the situation immediately after the explosive bracelet went inert? Was his ego so massive as to not allow admitting he was made to do something against his will? Or did he lay down his burdens and go off to live in the boonies because that is truly what he wanted all along and ArtHouse Lenin was just an excuse? Don't know, don't know and it certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Or the writers were inept. Take your pick.

Anyway, we have a wedding to plan between Fandorin and his perfunctory love interest, because it has been five minutes and nobody as yet to talk about Fandorin's perfunctory love interest. Thou must respect the Poochie. She tells Fandorin that he must stop thinking about work when he is with her and stop pondering Azazel. Fandorin meanwhile tells her that nobody will listen to him and his suspicions. Then undermines his argument by saying his suspicions are less suspicions and more like random questions. Splendid.

The day of the wedding comes, and Fandorin's best man is the hussar who is the mysterious singer lady's other, other, other lover. He is late to the wedding, citing traffic due to demonstrations. Demonstrations are also evil, in case you did not figure this out, dear reader and lover of stability. The wedding is shot in a pretty St. Petersburg mansion, and is shot outdoors, which means several shots of wedding guests sitting about and waiting for the ceremony. Since this requires multiple takes, you can see tired and sunburned actors starring off into space and looking bored and wishing the whole thing was done, but smiling because the second-unit director probably yelled, "Smiles, everyone" before getting this B-roll footage.

As the ceremony plays out, a Russian female singer does a soft cover of a nonexistent English language song. This is meant to be haunting, because the singer literally sings out "haunted" three times as the scene plays, in English. Obviousness, thy name is this TV mini-series.

Then a plot point arrives, in the form of a giant cake, from the PM himself, who is also arriving to the wedding, accompanied by bodyguards. As he power walks into the reception, he grabs a flute of champagne to toast the happy couple, who find themselves sans champagne. In probably the only fun touch in the episode, the hussar pops up right behind the happy couple and slips them flutes of champagne. It makes total sense that a hussar would have champagne always handy and knows how to slip it into people's hands. I smiled.

And then, since he is the PM, wedding guests rush over to have their picture taken with him, which makes sense and allows the couple to retreat. And then the PM says how he must go and rush and drops an unnecessary line about how his father always had been disappointed in him for not siring him any grandkids, and Fandorin gets an inception moment. He figures it all out.

Buckle Up, This Will Hurt:

The PM's father is a card-sharp, who was is not actually the PM's father at all. The PM hired him to play his father, so no one will find out the PM was na orphan, just all the others who were raised by Azazel. Fandorin's father spotted the PM's father on a beach while hanging out with Fandorin, and the card sharp reported back that he is getting recognized by his former associates, and that is why Fandorin's father had to be killed, for he would have been able to figure out the PM is not the son of a well known card-sharp.

Yes, yes, I know, it makes no sense, and presumes only Fandorin's father knew the card sharp had no son. Unless all the other former associates of the card sharp were killed off screen. And in case you are wondering, no PM did not have his false-father assassinated, he is still around and still plays the father for TV appearances when PM needs a semblance of normal. Because if the PM's false-father was killed, then Fandorin would not be able to run across him while gambling in an underground casino earlier in the mini-series. Though that too begs the question of why Fandorin is the only man in the casino who recognized the guy playing cards at the high stakes table as the dude just seen on TV applauding his dear son the Prime Minister.

I told you this would hurt.

Also, per Fandorin's monologue, the PM planned to have the mysterious singer lady suicide herself all along, "planting her" (the mini-series words, not mine) in the path of the Tsar, so she could seduce him and also demoralize and bring the institution of monarchy into disrepute. And the PM rode along with Fandorin to the morgue to misdirect him and help the ArtHouse Lenin and his droogs hide by chasing Fandorin away. Okay, that last part at least answers the question of why the PM would ride along the cops to the rescue of the Tsar. Fair play, screenplay.

And, after ArtHouse Lenin and his crew were done being useful to the PM, he had the whole group killed, because of course political demonstrators and activists are mere dupes of cunning plotters with nefarious reasons. If someone tells you to protest or demonstrate, rest assured good Russian citizen, the dead hand of the rotten West and their agencies is behind it.

Sorry, where was I?

Oh yes, Fandorin is still doing community theater Poirot. By the way, Fandorin deduced the PM had ArtHouse Lenin and his droogs killed because they could not be found afterwards and were silent for months after the Tsar renounced the throne. Once again, Batman showed more of his work when dealing with the Riddler.

As Fandorin works himself into the lather recounting all the deaths the PM has caused to come to power, he asks why, and also wants to know why the man showed up at his wedding. The PM calmly sips on his water bottle, shakes his head and tells him he was warned once that should he try to stop Azazel, he would lose everything dear to him, as Fandorin watches white-eyed caterers march back to the SUVs from the weddign site.

"Azazel," says the PM softly as the SUV doors slide closed, and Fandorin stands in the driveway, like an idiot.

Inside, the wedding cakes beeps and Fandorin finally figures it out and goes arunning, but too late, the explosion sounds.

This last bit, the explosion at the wedding and the death of his beloved is actually taken from the book. There, Fandorin too gets revenged upon by Azazel for stopping their plans and wanders the streets, confused and covered in debris from the explosion. On the show, he wanders the streets as politically zealous denizens of St Pete turn out to cheer the PM's victory and Fandorin leans against a wall, as credit roll.

Because they want a sequel.

Wowzers, this was bad.

Stuff I Liked:

Nothing, not a single thing. The AH was barely present in the last episode and nothing made sense. Oh, and to confuse me further, as the Tsar prepares to renounce the throne, he reels off all of his titles, including being the King of Poland, which contradicts the Polish Foreign Minister from three episodes ago. As I said, nothing makes sense.

Lesson Learned:

I knew it would be painful, but did not realize how little would make sense and how much they would try to cram into the last twenty minutes of the last episode. This was three shows in a trench coat standing on each other's shoulders. It was an AH tale about Russian Empire in 2023 which never fell, a detective yarn featuring Fandorin, and the story of the Tsar's failing marriage and pathetic non-affair with a mysterious singer lady. The strongest performer in the series was the talented actor portraying the Tsar and he did his best with the material given, but it was worthless and he was undone by the plot. The weakest by far element was the detective yarn, with bad acting, utter nonsense, terrible pacing and basic inability to tell a coherent tale. The most fun aspect and the one most other reviewers were intrigued by was the AH, which was underdeveloped due to the need for the other stories. This fails fundamentally as AH because it has a neat premise with no details and no payoffs. It imagines a world and then does not build it.

To be fair every other piece of media extols the perfect perfectness of modern liberal democratic republic.

Having something go the other way is unique in my mind.

As for "King of Poland" Well the English Kings maintained the title of King of France for generations after they lost their last holding on the continent.

That's amazingly bad. It's like they mashed every cliche already discredited in shows like Sherlock together and said "what if we crank these up to the maximum?"

All this time, I have hoped for a good series/movie that explored the idea of the Romanovs/Russian Monarchy still existing...

Such a wasted opportunity. :frown:

I continue to wait.

Last edited:
Just pure Putinist propaganda, except fawning over the Tsar instead of Stalin.
In our country, they say about such films "The crunch of a French roll" - and this is not a property of Putinism as such. The phenomenon of the whitewashing of the Russian Empire has been known since the late eighties (though prototypes can be found as early as the early seventies). This was reflected in the political rhetoric of both the Yeltsin and Putin periods - a special role here was played by the support of the Orthodox Church and the glorification of the Black Hundreds organizations.

P.S. - The first post-Soviet film where Stalin was portrayed positively was released in January 2021. Before that, it was tempting to portray him in a negative way.

In our country, they say about such films "The crunch of a French roll" - and this is not a property of Putinism as such. The phenomenon of the whitewashing of the Russian Empire has been known since the late eighties (though prototypes can be found as early as the early seventies). This was reflected in the political rhetoric of both the Yeltsin and Putin periods - a special role here was played by the support of the Orthodox Church and the glorification of the Black Hundreds organizations.
French baguette, as is булка, not булочка. The meme came from a 90ies pop song about 1890ies Russia gentry "How breathtaking are the evenings in the Russian countryside"
The AH is pretty louse there, and a f*ckton of cliches. They should have invited guys from fai.org.ru to write script for them.

Last edited:
French baguette, as is булка, not булочка. The meme came from a 90ies pop song about 1890ies Russia gentry "How breathtaking are the evenings in the Russian countryside"
The AH is pretty louse there, and a f*ckton of cliches. They should have invited guys from fai.org.ru to write script for them.
Thanks for correcting me.

In fact, the phrase occurs in another émigré poem from the sixties.
Wait a minute - I think I know this tune.