Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming he is still alive ITTL, I think I can see him writing a memoir of his time as President (and likely his time in politics before that, quite likely even his time under Agnew in 1973, as that ITTL was his career's turning point as he felt burned by Agnew), though most likely it would be really, really slanted and biased and it probably wouldn't be much in factual value. Assuming the drugs he likely was given after his "nervous breakdown" that removed him from office in 1988 do not cripple him mentally. Or that he isn't beaten to a pulp/executed by an angry mob sometime during the Second American Civil War.
Even if he does survive the civil war, I doubt he'd be allowed anywhere near a pen and paper.

I'm surprised that Drew never included in this TL a recreation of this highly underrated advertisement from the 1964 presidential election: Confessions of a Republican.

It consists of a Republican voter explaining how he is nervous about voting for Goldwater (his rhetoric and endorsement by the KKK), and how he has to forsake party unity in favor of voting for sanity. The voter was played by William Bogert, a Republican actor expressing his real fears about Barry Goldwater.

It reappeared around the 2016 election, because what the guy was saying in the commercial was pretty relevant to Donald Trump.

The gist of the ad is that rallying around someone just because they are a member of your party is bad. So I'm surprised that this didn't reappear in 1984 ITTL, to remind a lot of Republican voters (the country club people) about how increasingly unhinged the President was becoming.

I'm surprised that Drew never included in this TL a recreation of this highly underrated advertisement from the 1964 presidential election: Confessions of a Republican.

It consists of a Republican voter explaining how he is nervous about voting for Goldwater (his rhetoric and endorsement by the KKK), and how he has to forsake party unity in favor of voting for sanity. The voter was played by William Bogert, a Republican actor expressing his real fears about Barry Goldwater.

It reappeared around the 2016 election, because what the guy was saying in the commercial was pretty relevant to Donald Trump.

The gist of the ad is that rallying around someone just because they are a member of your party is bad. So I'm surprised that this didn't reappear in 1984 ITTL, to remind a lot of Republican voters (the country club people) about how increasingly unhinged the President was becoming.

Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that Rumsfeld's propaganda machine would suppress?

Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that Rumsfeld's propaganda machine would suppress?

In the second term yes, but in the 1984 election, free press still existed (albeit with some behind the scenes bullying-Reagan being booted off of his talk show, for example).

I wonder what were the Liberty Bataillons were using as guns. since the US weapon industry is screwed up if we believe the M20 rifle. would foreing companies be OK with selling them guns?( on another topic, what will the Canadian army be using in TTL 2018, since they can't use M16 based rifles. L85s? G36s?)
Probably military surplus from the pre-Rummy era.
how are the LB's supposed to be effective if they have the same guns as the civilians? and said civilians are VERY likely to be armed, either against criminals, or the LBs
135.png

I think that despite its pro-2nd Amendment rhetoric, the Rumsfeld regime would actually place severe restrictions on civilian gun ownership. It's Dictatorship 101: if you make guns available for everyone, there's a good chance they'll end up in the hands of people who want to overthrow you.

Clear the Mall
Sunday, April 2, 1989

A bomb detonates next to the Washington Monument causing some structural damage and spreading debris across the National Mall. Security immediately closes-off the area, ending public access to the Mall and the monuments.

The body of activist Samuel Leroy Jackson, who had ties to both the Black Panther Party and the We The People Movement, is found at the scene and soon Jackson is blamed as “the terrorist who attacked America.”

President Robertson declares that “this outrage will not stand. We will hunt down all these evil terrorists who defy God’s law and bring them just punishment. In this crusade for righteousness we shall not distinguish between the terrorists and those who harbor or give aid to the terrorists. All who defy God’s law shall be held to account!”

Despite reports that the Washington Monument is still structurally sound, and that the damage from the bomb was superficial, the 139 year-old monument is soon brought down, with the government officially stating that it is “unsafe” and “an extreme hazard to the public.”

Soon after that the CV government begins to erect its pre-fabricated Jesus the Warrior statue on the site. Later analysts conclude that the CV used the bombing (or initiated the whole incident) to replace the Washington monument with their own, which had already been pre-built in sections. Reportedly Douglas Coe had initiated plans for this while Donald Rumsfeld was still President.

Jackson’s proved to be an interesting case. His last known whereabouts had been in Los Angeles in early 1988, where he had been a WTP activist and part-time actor. He had reportedly renounced his earlier radical ties in favour of more peaceful WTP activity, where he had worked with California Vice President Ronald Dellums. In 1988 Jackson had gone east to Washington DC on a family matter, and was never heard from again by his WTP associates. Many suspected he had run afoul of the Liberty Battalions or Holy Battalions active in Washington. Jackson’s body was autopsied under the supervision of Holy Battalion loyalists and cremated. Witnesses later alleged that the body had shown signs of having been in a preservative compound, suggesting that Jackson had been dead prior to the incident and his preserved body placed at the scene.

The fact that Jackson had been active in California politics, and had travelled to the US on a California passport, was used as cover by the Robertson Administration to blame the California government for authorizing the act of terror and suggesting that California intended to launch an all-out war of terror against “the Christian States of America.”

President McCloskey and Vice President Dellums both denied that the California government had anything to do with the incident and suggested that the Robertson Administration had planned and carried out the whole thing.

Destroying the Washington Monument... George Washington, the other Founding Fathers and EVERY. SINGLE. SANE. DEAD. PAST. PRESIDENT must be SPINNING in their graves right now.

If I have to give the Christian Values folks credit for something, they don't play the "The Founding Fathers were just like us!" card used by the Christian Right IOTL. They know very well their ideology goes against everything the Founding Fathers stood for, and they're PROUD of it.

If I have to give the Christian Values folks credit for something, they don't play the "The Founding Fathers were just like us!" card used by the Christian Right IOTL. They know very well their ideology goes against everything the Founding Fathers stood for, and they're PROUD of it.

I suppose it depends on whom they believe the real founding fathers were:

http://www.cbn.com/tv/1424250323001?mobile=false

"The founding document of the United States of America acknowledges the Lordship of Jesus Christ because we are a Christian nation." - Pat Robertson

"Are we a Christian nation now? It's doubtful. But did we start out as one? Without question.” - Pat Robertson

"You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them." - Pat Robertson

"Maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up" –Pat Robertson, on nuking the State Department

It seems to me the Washington Monument is a symbol of America's power. It has been the symbol of our great nation. We look at the symbol and we say 'this is one nation under God.'” - Pat Robertson (So, how better to replace it with a statue of JC, and blame its destruction on the Godless)

"I have a zero tolerance for sanctimonious morons who try to scare people.” - Pat Robertson

Also the idea of American Nazis coming to power brings up a possibility: will white nationalists carve out an ethnostate during this civil war?

At best, I think these potential white nationalists could govern an ISIS-style territory for a few years.

It isn't really a state: just a collection of vicious thugs who are good at terror, theft, and rape. They would expand, and then fold under pressure from an outside power.

So, Samuel L. Jackson's dead? The timeline claims another and it seems as if the CV have their Reichstag Fire.
Wait what?

It IS!

To quote a great man:

"ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I have had it with these motherfucking CVs, in this motherfucking Country! Everyone strap in! I'm about to open up some freedom in this country."

At this point, if the Race faced off against Rumsfeldia America, I'd be rooting for one group, and it's the aliens...

I just realized that Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers) is probably alive at this time. I like to see if Drew could perhaps mention him in a future update. It really makes me wonder how a nice man who cares for everyone is going through right now with the CV in power. I doubt he even has his show still aired anyway, but if he is alive I would want to know what he is currently up to.

I wonder how Rumsfeldia has effected the horror genren, particularly zombie movies such as Return of the Living Dead?

The zombies are blamed on Soviet bio-weapons, and it's stated by all the characters that the Reds intend to use the same stuff on their own people once they've wiped out America with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.