Rome is nuked and the College of Cardinals is wiped out: what happens?

In the event of WWIII I think St Peter's throne would stay empty until the political situation improved. If things dragged on and the world fell apart even more (Fallout styles) then you'd probably get clergy declaring themselves the new head of the church or something.

Nuclear war was seen as a very real possibility from the 1950s to the fall of the Soviet Union. I think we can safely assume that the Vatican made contingency plans for it.

As an emergency seat, I propose Avignon.

Despite the French state being laizist officially, I doubt they would decline the honor to stage such an event. Avignon has papal tradition from the time of the Schism.

Also, Avignon is not a village, but rather a mid-sized town. So, as I guess that after a terrorist attack security measures would be very tight, it would be rather easier to prodive security for a Concilium there than in a metropolis such as Rio de Janeiro.

###

In case of a WW III, I guess it strongly depends on the circumstances, i.e. whichever Catholic countries (or country with a strong Catholic minority) gets off lightly will, as soon as the dust has settled a bit and communication is possible among them, so there will certainly a kind of interregnum or worse, schism.

libbrit

Banned
Even if it was to happen during a Papal Conclave, when many of the Cardinals are in Rome, there is almost never a time when every single Cardinal is in the city-illness, pressing engagements, even a delayed flight, all make it highly likely that at least one would survive.

What happens then-i image the survivors meet and its pretty much `make it up as you go along` territory from then on

As an emergency seat, I propose Avignon.

Despite the French state being laizist officially, I doubt they would decline the honor to stage such an event. Avignon has papal tradition from the time of the Schism.

Also, Avignon is not a village, but rather a mid-sized town. So, as I guess that after a terrorist attack security measures would be very tight, it would be rather easier to prodive security for a Concilium there than in a metropolis such as Rio de Janeiro.

###

In case of a WW III, I guess it strongly depends on the circumstances, i.e. whichever Catholic countries (or country with a strong Catholic minority) gets off lightly will, as soon as the dust has settled a bit and communication is possible among them, so there will certainly a kind of interregnum or worse, schism.

Avignon would never be supported by the clergy or lay. It holds too many negative connotations. I tried to find the source for my Rio De Janeiro statement above, but got nowhere. If anyone does know anything about it, let me know.

EDIT: Let me just stress though that even during a Conclave that not all the Cardinals are in the same place. Most elderly Cardinals do not make the journey. There are also a number of Cardinals in pectore whose identities are hidden from the general public that would reveal themselves in an emergency.

Indeed there would be dozens of cardinals who would not be in Rome by virtue of age.If the 80 age cap was removed and the Cardinals were fit to travel then you have a conclave and a short term stopgap pope.

The in pectore Cardinals may not know they are in pectore... Has Benedict appointed any? All of those under John Paul were eventually made known

The in pectore Cardinals may not know they are in pectore... Has Benedict appointed any? All of those under John Paul were eventually made known

Its not a question of they may not know, they're not supposed to know, and their appointment ends if the Pope dies without making the appointment public.

Last edited:
A dead pope and the college of cardinals should be the least of your worries in an all out nuclear world war 3. You don't need the church, if you are dead.

Very good point. What if this was a focused attack, specifically at the Roman Catholic Church, by some extremist group. The Vatican is still seen as the major symbol of Christian faith, even by many Protestants. What about simply blowing up just the Vatican ala Angels & Demon, while generally sparing the rest of Rome? Or destroying not just St. Peters, cardinals and all, but several of the other great cathedrals of Europe, Notre-Dame, Chatres, Cologne, etc, as a way to demoralize Catholics.:eek:

Lack of a Pope is a relatively small thing since the Pope doesn't generally involve himself into the day-to-day affairs of even most of the Catholics. The big event is that Rome has been nuked, which will see massive repercussions, not just in Italy, but right across the world by way of the EU, who will now (and will not be alone in doing it) be pouring aid into Italy to try and keep the country from total collapse.

1. first of all, i would probably be dead, working 200 metres from the Basilica, but that would not change the course of history.

2. there are two options. old cardinals often do not attend to the college. and the new head of the church would be the oldest of the not-wiped-out cardinals, who would rush to the nomination of several other cardinals
the second one, in a case of complete annihilation of the Cardinals, a struggle for the succession between the College of Bishops and those who were nominated "Cardinal in pectore", who would call for the right of precedence, but who can not considered proper cardinals since the pope did not publish their name in the Vatican Acts

Cardinals only gather in Rome together for two reasons: 1) The Pope is dead and they are electing a new Pope and 2) There's an ecumenical council, which only happens around 3 times every 500 years. In other words, the majority of cardinals would be residing in their own respective dioceses around the world and not be in Rome most of the time.

Now, let's say that it's post-1970 and they all get taken out by a nuke in one of the two above situations. I presume that the non-voting Cardinals will just gather somewhere and vote for a new pope.