Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1876

ote in the 1876 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not really relevant, but why is Cooper the Greenback's candidate in the first place? He's an extremely wealthy New Yorker industrialist representing...an alliance of poor white farmers and southern blacks? It just seems a little odd to me, is all.

Also, fun-fact: if Cooper wins he'll be the oldest US President (probably ever) - he'll be 86 at inauguration (Reagan, OTL's oldest, was a little south of 70)

Wow, 86. I wonder how his mental faculties were holding up by this point.

He was one of Americas first philanthropists. He led a pretty humble life even though he was rich. He donated money to alot of good causes and was a national spokesman for most of the Greenback partys goals. He had name recognition.

He was actually a pretty good man, made his money in decent ways.
Yup, which is why im pretty okay with ether of them winning.

Although Hayes has DAT BEARD.

I must say, Cooper is the last candidate I would have expected to win due to a corrupt election/ballot-stuffing

The thing is, I don't really care who wins in the pre-1900 series, but I don't want some ass**** deliberately skewing the results with what are in effect political ads.

The thing is, I don't really care who wins in the pre-1900 series, but I don't want some ass**** deliberately skewing the results with what are in effect political ads.

Which is entirely understandable. I remember the whole 1980-election debacle quite well (although that was based only on suspicion of vote-skewing, not actual proof as in this case)

I would also that wager that it probably comes close to violating the "no polls in chat" rule by linking to a poll in another forum and soliciting votes.

God damn it.

If Cooper does manage to win (and it does seem he will), you ought to reflect this in the electoral college map by having Cooper win by a faithless elector.

It should help with the eventual timeline as it would be enough to trigger major reform of the Electoral College. It would certainly explain some of the very close popular votes.

Could I be the faithless elector if this happens?

Prepare to get lynched.

Alternatively, you could just throw it into a run-off to discourage this sort of behavior in the future. I don't want to reply to the thread in question, to avoid bumping it but I would like to comment on it. I am about 90% certain that this violates the rule prohibiting polls in Chat. It is also a fairly reprehensible method of skewing results in Cooper's favor.