Retrospective US Presidential Election: 1872

Vote in the 1872 Retrospective US Presidential Election!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright I'll take that into consideration. I dont see why a currency based on metal is neccesary though.

For one thing, it secures confidence in the money for average spenders. Beyond that, I don't know enough about economics, and especially contemporary economics of the 1870s, to be able to definitively ascertain whether fiat or a standard would be better. I do know a lot of the hubbub about a silver standard was due to the discovery of silver all over Nevada.

The Democrats haven't won one election before 1928. I think the race in '76 will be between Hayes and Cooper.
Eh... Tilden is not as bad as his predecessors, he could win a significant amount of votes. If Cooper is not winning after a few days, my vote goes to Tilden.

Japhy

Banned
Alright I'll take that into consideration. I dont see why a currency based on metal is neccesary though.

Its not about having the money be backed by Gold or Silver, its that the Populist Parties wanted to change the backing so as to rapidly inflate the currency. If you switched from a Gold to a Silver Dollar in 1873 (The Year that the US instituted a Gold-only standard) you would increase the amount of money in circulation by 16 times. Though the 1880s and 1890's while "16:1" was the cry of the movement, the actual number could be as high as 40:1 due to increased Silver finds and the growing scarcity of Gold. The reason of course the Greenbacks and Populists wanted this was so that farmers could wipe out their pre-existing debts ($1000 in debt becomes alot less to pay off when the currency is worth 16 or 40 times less and the numeric value of your crop increases 16 or 40 times) The inverse of this is that the wages of an Urban worker, and the savings in the bank for all Americans is devalued massively. Mass producing Greenbacks or switching to a Silver Standard means wiping out life savings, destroying investment, and getting farmers a brief respite from their debts before they start racking them up again.

Therefor, the idea is In my humble opinion, terrible. The party is pushing as a goal, hyperinflation.

And with all that, I'd like to know how exactly I'm whitewashing anything, least of all the Robber Barrons. I'm not much of a fan of being accused of things I'm not doing.

You like a civil war draft dodger?

Yes, John D. paid his way out of the draft. He did this because he needed to stay home because at the time he was still giving money to his family because his dad was essentially an asshole. So yes, he paid so he could stay home because his family needed him. Not to mention he made huge donations to the U.S. government during the war.

And with all that, I'd like to know how exactly I'm whitewashing anything, least of all the Robber Barrons. I'm not much of a fan of being accused of things I'm not doing.

From one of your previous arguements, I got the idea you were trying to protect the riches of the robber barons. I apoligize if thats not what you meant.

I think that a sufficient amount of people were ruined by the panic of '73, especially poor farmers who were still the majority of the nation at the time, that something should be done to help them that the Republicans and Democrats refused to do. I think damage to industrial workers could be compensated by minimum wage laws, which they also pushed.

There were several ideas floated by the Greenbacks that I like. Womens suffrage, labor laws, minimum wage, eight hour work day, end child labor in factories, and an income tax.

They may not be perfect in regards to immigration, but thats been a problem everywhere all the time. At least there willing to recognize the rights of all americans born here. That in itself is a huge leap forward. And the democrats and rebublicans just can't offer me enp

enough reason to support them.

In all honesty the 16:1 would probably never get through a congress full of rich men. But maybe some of the rest could.

stefanbl

Banned
Because both are ridiculous candidacies and further in the Retrospective game its wasting an election on your part.

How on earth is she a 'ridiculous candidate'? Or is feminism something only espoused by the mentally ill?

Also I always vote for candidates that have no real chance of winning, what's your point?

Japhy

Banned
enough reason to support them.

In all honesty the 16:1 would probably never get through a congress full of rich men. But maybe some of the rest could.

This has been a line that alot of people have used in this series of elections I never get. "Its OK that X supports Y because just being President means they wont get it done", but if you're supporting them you're supporting them getting it done.

And Hyperinflation (Again it would be more devaluation then merely 16 times) isn't going to provide any relief to anyone, what the farmers failed to understand was that after a year or two with their debts paid off, and their sales being worth nothing, that they'd fall back into the same cycle of Debt they'd been in before hand, while Industry and Urban life would be destroyed. Just because farmers are the majority doesn't mean anything, you're still screwing other Americans over. Minimum wage laws arn't going to keep up, and when the jobs that would give them are lost you've still created a massive urban depression.

Japhy

Banned
How on earth is she a 'ridiculous candidate'? Or is feminism something only espoused by the mentally ill?

Also I always vote for candidates that have no real chance of winning, what's your point?

I would say because it was more of a fringe protest vote, but I admit that such is not relevant in this game considering some of the victories. The main point is, if she's not even an option in the poll whats the point of even declaring for her? Its no different then simply sitting out.

stefanbl

Banned
I would say because it was more of a fringe protest vote, but I admit that such is not relevant in this game considering some of the victories. The main point is, if she's not even an option in the poll whats the point of even declaring for her? Its no different then simply sitting out.

Because I wish to vote for her?

I don't vote based on electability, due to it being a grand self fluffing prophecy.

Yes, John D. paid his way out of the draft. He did this because he needed to stay home because at the time he was still giving money to his family because his dad was essentially an asshole. So yes, he paid so he could stay home because his family needed him. Not to mention he made huge donations to the U.S. government during the war.

Thats such a noble reason. If only all the other sons with families that needed them desperately would have done the right thing :rolleyes:

When rich people have to fill the trenches, wars get won or they dont get fought at all.

This has been a line that alot of people have used in this series of elections I never get. "Its OK that X supports Y because just being President means they wont get it done", but if you're supporting them you're supporting them getting it done.

And Hyperinflation (Again it would be more devaluation then merely 16 times) isn't going to provide any relief to anyone, what the farmers failed to understand was that after a year or two with their debts paid off, and their sales being worth nothing, that they'd fall back into the same cycle of Debt they'd been in before hand, while Industry and Urban life would be destroyed. Just because farmers are the majority doesn't mean anything, you're still screwing other Americans over. Minimum wage laws arn't going to keep up, and when the jobs that would give them are lost you've still created a massive urban depression.

But it is a legitamate thing to say. Obama could have run on a platform to build a Deathstar, reduce the deficit, get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, and create some kind of NHS. Just because you voted for him doesnt mean hes actually going to build the death star.

Can you at least say that one of the main parties is going to do anything other than keep a gun to the souths head, and business as usual. Because thats not acceptable to me.

Thats such a noble reason. If only all the other sons with families that needed them desperately would have done the right thing :rolleyes:

When rich people have to fill the trenches, wars get won or they dont get fought at all.

My point is that he didn't just stay home for the hell of it. And he had the choice to go into the service for a war he fully agreed with, or pay the government money that it desperately needed to avoid being drafted. He chose to pay. And I already mentioned that he gave even more to the U.S. government, and by this point he's not even very wealthy. Well off sure, but not a millionaire by any means.